gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:01:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RollingStone.com Article on “Problem Child” Theme  (Read 13595 times)
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2017, 06:59:28 AM »

It’s been a long time since I laughed as hard as I did at the Summer of Paradise set. Well done.

And now let’s get real and make this happen. We can do a GoFundMe, a Kickstarter, petitions, a march on the Capital Records tower, I don't care what it takes, let's get this done because I think, inadvertently perhaps, or more likely in a flit of passing genius, that Smile Brian has hit on something here. A comprehensive Summer of Paradise box set should happen, nay, must happen. Very bluntly, for those of us who can find a way to get a piece of the action, we’re looking at a gold mine here. The CD is on the way out and I see no better way for it to end then with this.

Beyond the obvious components (electronic, gadget-laden packaging, hardcover retrospective book, postcards, stickers, buttons, thong underwear, full-size boogie board), here is how I foresee the content of the discs.

Disc One: The US version. Simple enough.

Disc Two: The rare European version. A no-brainer.

Disc Three: The even more rare Asian version. Same as the US version, but nobody will ever know because three listens to Summer in Paradise in a row, you'll be reduced to a smiling idiot in the throes of ecstasy.

Discs Four-Six: Summer in Paradise Remastered. Remastered versions of all of the above. By remastered, I mean that the sound on each disc will just be cranked up really loud on each disc, Spinal Tap style.

Disc Seven: Stack O Tracks. All vocals removed.

Disc Eight: Stack O Vocals. All instruments removed.

Disc Nine: Stack O Silence All vocals and instruments removed.

Disc Ten: Outtakes Disc: Off the cuff freestyles from Mike Love, warm-up sessions from John Stamos’ recording sessions, etc.

Disc Eleven: Alternate versions disc. Including any and all versions performed on Baywatch and Full House with overdubs from the casts of both shows as aired on the respective programs.

Disc Twelve: Summer in Paradise: Live From Paradise! A compilation disc of live tour highlights from the era.

Disc Thirteen: The Rarities. Let's finish off all Beach Boys fanatics collections with a thorough round up of odds and ends as a nice treat. Load it up with the likes of Problem Child, Crocodile Rock, that Barbie song, etc.

Disc Fourteen: Summer in Paradise: Naked in Paradise. Terrific idea guitarfool2002.

Discs Fifteen, Sixteen, and Seventeen: Fly on the Sh-t: Studio chatter, clips of bored studio players strumming on their instruments, etc. Let's really do this right and give the completists EVERYTHING!

Disc Eighteen: Mike Love in Paradise. A sampling of the solo works Mike Love has worked on and completed since his masterwork Summer in Paradise to really round the collection out and give the buyer full value.

I think we've got a winner here.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »

Put me down for a disk 9.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »

Put me down for a disk 9.

Yet I don't know if Mike is going to want to have to pay royalties for doing a cover version of John Cage's 4′33″.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 09:46:08 AM »

No, John Cage's silence is more melancholy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »

It’s been a long time since I laughed as hard as I did at the Summer of Paradise set. Well done.

And now let’s get real and make this happen. We can do a GoFundMe, a Kickstarter, petitions, a march on the Capital Records tower, I don't care what it takes, let's get this done because I think, inadvertently perhaps, or more likely in a flit of passing genius, that Smile Brian has hit on something here. A comprehensive Summer of Paradise box set should happen, nay, must happen. Very bluntly, for those of us who can find a way to get a piece of the action, we’re looking at a gold mine here. The CD is on the way out and I see no better way for it to end then with this.

Beyond the obvious components (electronic, gadget-laden packaging, hardcover retrospective book, postcards, stickers, buttons, thong underwear, full-size boogie board), here is how I foresee the content of the discs.

Disc One: The US version. Simple enough.

Disc Two: The rare European version. A no-brainer.

Disc Three: The even more rare Asian version. Same as the US version, but nobody will ever know because three listens to Summer in Paradise in a row, you'll be reduced to a smiling idiot in the throes of ecstasy.

Discs Four-Six: Summer in Paradise Remastered. Remastered versions of all of the above. By remastered, I mean that the sound on each disc will just be cranked up really loud on each disc, Spinal Tap style.

Disc Seven: Stack O Tracks. All vocals removed.

Disc Eight: Stack O Vocals. All instruments removed.

Disc Nine: Stack O Silence All vocals and instruments removed.

Disc Ten: Outtakes Disc: Off the cuff freestyles from Mike Love, warm-up sessions from John Stamos’ recording sessions, etc.

Disc Eleven: Alternate versions disc. Including any and all versions performed on Baywatch and Full House with overdubs from the casts of both shows as aired on the respective programs.

Disc Twelve: Summer in Paradise: Live From Paradise! A compilation disc of live tour highlights from the era.

Disc Thirteen: The Rarities. Let's finish off all Beach Boys fanatics collections with a thorough round up of odds and ends as a nice treat. Load it up with the likes of Problem Child, Crocodile Rock, that Barbie song, etc.

Disc Fourteen: Summer in Paradise: Naked in Paradise. Terrific idea guitarfool2002.

Discs Fifteen, Sixteen, and Seventeen: Fly on the Sh-t: Studio chatter, clips of bored studio players strumming on their instruments, etc. Let's really do this right and give the completists EVERYTHING!

Disc Eighteen: Mike Love in Paradise. A sampling of the solo works Mike Love has worked on and completed since his masterwork Summer in Paradise to really round the collection out and give the buyer full value.

I think we've got a winner here.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »

Of course 2017 marks the 'albums' 25th anniversary which can only mean one thing.

MIKE AND BRUCE PRESENT SUMMER IN PARADISE LIVE

Promotion baby...Promotion!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »

This would be side A and B of a 45rpm bonus record or a cassette single...that format would hold the sum total of all of it, more or less.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »

I liked it about 10 years before discovering BBs. I thought it was very cool & that the main singer sounds fantastic! Still like it. 3D

Btw, is it really pig's derriere? I rmbr it as cow & that the song didn't play till the screen going black. Bizarre.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2017, 08:44:34 AM »

This song is a prime example of two missteps common to a lot of legacy acts - Taking a fluke hit as a mandate to copy it for follow-up releases, and the notion of chasing a hit by jumping on trendy bandwagons versus just doing what you do best.

Do I blame Mike who was the "captain" of this late 80's/early 90's ship in terms of new material and the band's live shows? Yes. Carl too, and whatever other elements in management, within the band, and surrounding the various labels and decisions made.

It was a song like this which helped set back whatever new cred and respect musically the band was getting as their archival material started to reappear via CD reissues and the like.

I'm not going to engage any discussions about opinions pro or con a song like this, or the SIP album, or whatever else: You either like it or you don't.

But what is still baffling to me 25-30 years after living through this stuff firsthand as a fan of the Beach Boys eager to hear more, is the notion of "how in the hell is this the *same band*?"

If the mindset which led to decisions like this Problem Child debacle and SIP were followed in 1964 when the stakes were really high...you'd have the band still surfin' and still cruisin' on their records in 1966, and their records would be relegated to the collections of those who still treasure those old Merrell Fankhauser and Bruce Johnston's Surfers' Pajama Party original vinyl pressings rather than certain Beach Boys albums and songs like God Only Knows and Good Vibrations topping the polls of critics and fans alike, getting heard and enjoyed by new generations, and continuing to sound as new and as timeless as they did 52 years ago.

Every band and artist has to shoulder some questionable or even embarrassing releases in their career, but for this kind of song to come out and an album like SIP to come out at around the same time frame as the Pet Sounds reissue, the two-fer reissues, and the GV box set accompanied by a buzz of young listeners wanting to get more into the music of the Beach Boys...it's still hard to stomach much less understand some of these decisions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:45:35 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »

I can only assume Carl wore sunglasses in this video in the hopes that no one would recognize him. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:02 PM »

The song really isn't all that bad, apart from the little kids going "na-na-na-na-na". I thought it was going to be a hit.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 12:52:45 AM »

The song really isn't all that bad, apart from the little kids going "na-na-na-na-na". I thought it was going to be a hit.

I wasn't a fan at the time (my fandom began in late 1991), and from what I remember about 1990, I do think that this song peaking in the lower reaches of the billboard top 100 chart (like maybe #85 tops) could have been possible with enough radio airplay. I do think that the kids nyah-nyah part killed any chances of extensive airplay though.

I agree with the sentiment that the song is not too bad, I enjoy Carl & Mike's vocals.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 05:06:22 AM »

Definitely a candidate for best Smiley thread so far this year.

It proves you can be irreverent without being rude or gross and get a damn good laugh out of it into the bargain. LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »

I wasn't a fan at the time (my fandom began in late 1991), and from what I remember about 1990, I do think that this song peaking in the lower reaches of the billboard top 100 chart (like maybe #85 tops) could have been possible with enough radio airplay. I do think that the kids nyah-nyah part killed any chances of extensive airplay though.

I agree with the sentiment that the song is not too bad, I enjoy Carl & Mike's vocals.
I watched the movie on tv a couple years later just to hear the song. The only thing I remember about it was Junior trying to impress a girl he had a crush on...and sending everyone else to the hospital.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 11:51:39 PM »

I know many people on the board have said this before, but it boggles my mind that Carl walked out on the proposed 1995 album because he didn't think Brian's songs were good enough but sang on this and the Summer in Paradise album.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »

I know many people on the board have said this before, but it boggles my mind that Carl walked out on the proposed 1995 album because he didn't think Brian's songs were good enough but sang on this and the Summer in Paradise album.
The only thing I can come up with is, he was more protective of Brian, as his troubled older brother. He didn't want them putting out anything with Brian's name on it unless it was Pet Sounds quality.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx