gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:12:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RollingStone.com Article on “Problem Child” Theme  (Read 13703 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »

Odd to see an article about “Problem Child” come up on my Facebook feed: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/watch-video-for-beach-boys-problem-child-theme-song-w460259

"Who wants to grow up? Who wants responsibility?" sings Carl Wilson. "Who wants to show up at work until you're 93? Oh, no, not me! Now everybody says you're runnin' wild." Mike Love's nasally voice now comes in: "Your teacher's callin' you a Problem Child!" In 1966, these two men locked voices to create "God Only Knows." Now they were using them to shill for a bad John Ritter flick.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »

Wow...that is an odd thing to do an article on so many years later!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »

Not to be that guy, but Mike never "locked voices" with Carl on 'God Only Knows'.

Otherwise, couldn't have said it better. It's crazy though: no matter how bad the song, Carl brought so much beauty to whatever song he worked on. Even 'Problem Child' is blessed with some great vocals from him (albeit moronic lyrics).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

"That guy" is AGD. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »

LOL

If so, it'd have been written by somebody else with his name attached. And half would be wrong.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:10:42 PM »

I bought the CD single for Problem Child at Strawberries in 1990 in the cut out bin for 49 cents. I still have it. I'm wondering if it's the only thing released by the Beach Boys on the RCA label?
KDS
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »

While, that is random.  It's not even the 30th anniversary of that movie. 

While I'm not at all a fan of the song, I'd love to see a compilation of this and other songs from that era.  Maybe in an expanded Still Cruisin.  I know it's highly unlikely, but still I dream of it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

To my knowledge it is

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »

While, that is random.  It's not even the 30th anniversary of that movie.  

While I'm not at all a fan of the song, I'd love to see a compilation of this and other songs from that era.  Maybe in an expanded Still Cruisin.  I know it's highly unlikely, but still I dream of it.

I hate to agree (just because the quality of material from that time is lacking) but there are so many gems in The Beach Boys catalog that it would be a shame if more efforts for getting this stuff compiled better fell by the wayside. Again I'll mention the wonders of our current digital age; I wish digital releases were taken better advantage of by record companies. You don't have to truck copies of this collection to record stores, you don't have to promote it in newspapers and music magazines. Just upload the thing to iTunes and Beach Boys fans will find out about it (and buy it, because we are Beach Boys fans and will obsessively buy anything (unless you're repackaging Pet Sounds for the umpteenth time)).

It's easy money for a small bit of compiling.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:22:08 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »

While I'm not at all a fan of the song, I'd love to see a compilation of this and other songs from that era.  Maybe in an expanded Still Cruisin.  I know it's highly unlikely, but still I dream of it.

I hate to agree (just because the quality of material from that time is lacking) but there are so many gems in The Beach Boys catalog that it would be a shame if more efforts for getting this stuff compiled better fell by the wayside. Again I'll mention the wonders of our current digital age; I wish digital releases were taken better advantage of by record companies. You don't have to truck copies of this collection to record stores, you don't have to promote it in newspapers and music magazines. Just upload the thing to iTunes and Beach Boys fans will find out about it (and buy it, because we are Beach Boys fans and will obsessively buy anything (unless you're repackaging Pet Sounds for the umpteenth time)).

Exactly! I'll never understand what the holdup for these digital releases are. It costs next to nothing!!!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »

upload gifs

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »

Exactly! I'll never understand what the holdup for these digital releases are. It costs next to nothing!!!

Wasn't there talk about Mark Linett (etc) going through all the Beach Boys material and getting it all digitized (it's how they found the '67 Surf's Up)? THIS is the time to be getting people hyped about the Beach Boys. Sad to say, but older fans won't be around forever and now is probably the best time to get money from them. I have a feeling we'll have to wait for the copyright release date for vault material dating around 1990...2040 can't come soon enough LOL

@Smile Brian. That collection looks glorious....though the premium Love vacation tickets are probably one item people would hope not to find LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »

The "discs of pleasure" has me both intrigued and concerned....

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »

It's the 2042 copyright-protection release!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »

Time for me to pre-order this beauty!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »

We're sure to sell 8 units by January...of 2032

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »

Lolz Billy! LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »

Problem Child stands as one of the worst fucking songs I have ever heard. One of the nadirs of not only the BB's recorded legacy, but 80's/90's music in general. The backing vocals are a travesty. Nice one guys, way to score a hit record.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »

Of course this should be the bonus disc available by special order, alongside the SIP box:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »

LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »

Problem Child stands as one of the worst fucking songs I have ever heard. One of the nadirs of not only the BB's recorded legacy, but 80's/90's music in general. The backing vocals are a travesty. Nice one guys, way to score a hit record.

I (partially) disagree. While there are some VERY embarrassing things about it, especially including the "nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-whoah-oh" part... I do like the wordless backing vocal part that comes in when Carl sings "first you'll be married, with kids after awhile". That wordless backing part behind Carl's vocals there surprisingly sounds (however briefly) like classic Beach Boys backing vocals.  It's like a brief bit of magic is injected into the song.

To me, Carl's voice/vocal delivery as the lead vocalist, as well as that one cool wordless vocal part make the song listenable.

However, basically everything else about the song is either bad or wretched!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:24:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »

LOL

+1
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »

Of course this should be the bonus disc available by special order, alongside the SIP box:

Argh.. even in its reversed negative form, I knew that Mike shrug pic looked suspiciously familiar...

wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »

I have a radio promo cd of this. It's barely used (obviously). I much prefer the radio edit to any other version.

Jon G.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »

We need GF's review of SIP naked! Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx