gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:01:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who wants to Remaster this Smile Acetate for me/us?  (Read 9742 times)
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »

If I feel so inclined I just may but who knows haha
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

Hey guys I was bored so I spent an hour or so making a stereo worm mix (as best I could) with Carl's vocal included it. IT has some tech errors here and there and yeah I did cheat with some 2004 stuff but oh well. Let me know what you thing and thanks to LeetWall for lending me the sample.  Cheesy 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JaXxBNwx7Q

I love this.  The closest we'll get to what might have ended up on Smile in 1967.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »

Hey thanks a bunch means a lot  Smiley I'm open to suggestions on what other smile songs I should do
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »

Hey thanks a bunch means a lot  Smiley I'm open to suggestions on what other smile songs I should do

Hey Seagull-

Thanks very much for this!  It's great to have people on here who have the talent to create these things.

I especially like the use of the 2004 vocals, since that's what we have to work with, and I think they work quite well with the original song.

I'd actually love to see you continue to refine your work on Worms.  Aside from what you say are tech errors (which I can't really hear, perhaps because I'm not in a spot where I can play the song at a decent volume), I would suggest losing the "wooo wooo" at the end, since that is purely a 21st-century invention, and replacing it with the extended piano br theme, as was originally there.  Just my thought though- others may hear very different things.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with the extend theme your referring to. Does anyone have a sample of this I could hear?
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »

Thanks leetwall97, this is huge! How did you track these down, and do you have any more goodies for us?     Shocked
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »

Thanks leetwall97, this is huge! How did you track these down, and do you have any more goodies for us?    Shocked

All these "snippets" are well known for years through bootlegs (SOT, Vigotone, H & V sessions vol 1 & 2...). If you look them up you'll be surprised how much goodies you'll find  Smiley
But on the other hand it's refreshing for someone try ing to "update" them (with missing vocals) and give us a look at what Smile could have been in 1967. So go for it!
I enjoy these mixes!

However, it's also sad, beacuse it shows how close BW was to completing Smile, "just few vocals away" like Vosse and Anderle said in their 1968/1969 interviews!

Vosse artcle you'll find in this therad!
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=17157.0

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:44:50 PM by Nile » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »

Hey Seagull-

Thanks very much for this!  It's great to have people on here who have the talent to create these things.

I especially like the use of the 2004 vocals, since that's what we have to work with, and I think they work quite well with the original song.

I'd actually love to see you continue to refine your work on Worms.  Aside from what you say are tech errors (which I can't really hear, perhaps because I'm not in a spot where I can play the song at a decent volume), I would suggest losing the "wooo wooo" at the end, since that is purely a 21st-century invention, and replacing it with the extended piano br theme, as was originally there.  Just my thought though- others may hear very different things.
Actually, that was a vintage piece of music.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 12:58:07 AM »

Hey Seagull-

Actually, that was a vintage piece of music.

It is vintage piece, nobody said otherwise but it's use in DYDW is 2004 invention, to smothen the pass to Barnyard, because of live shows!
1966 DYDW ends with BR theme, in some cases with theme vinding down, and in other cases it starts again till it fades again...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:16 AM »

The way jeff worded it, it sounded like he was saying that piece was strictly recorded for BWPS, instead of being a vintage 1960's written piece.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 04:40:32 AM »

Really? I have been a rather avid collector of Smile boots for 20+ years and both of these acetates sound "new" to me, particularly Carl's vocal on the Hawaiian chant. And neither vocal appears to have made it on the Smile box set, suggesting further that these versions are less than commonplace...

Thanks leetwall97, this is huge! How did you track these down, and do you have any more goodies for us?    Shocked

All these "snippets" are well known for years through bootlegs (SOT, Vigotone, H & V sessions vol 1 & 2...). If you look them up you'll be surprised how much goodies you'll find  Smiley
But on the other hand it's refreshing for someone try ing to "update" them (with missing vocals) and give us a look at what Smile could have been in 1967. So go for it!
I enjoy these mixes!

However, it's also sad, beacuse it shows how close BW was to completing Smile, "just few vocals away" like Vosse and Anderle said in their 1968/1969 interviews!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:45:11 AM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »

Really? I have been a rather avid collector of Smile boots for 20+ years and both of these acetates sound "new" to me, particularly Carl's vocal on the Hawaiian chant. And neither vocal appears to have made it on the Smile box set, suggesting further that these versions are less than commonplace...

I enjoy these mixes!

Maybe I'm mistaken, but Carl's or maybe Dennis's vocal on hawaiian chant in DYDW is known through Smile Vigotone 110, track 24.
Regarding H&V Brian verse 1966, thhis one I know through Preiss tape, maybe first ever Smile leaks, from 1978-9 I think. Don't have that one one me now, so can't tell track number, but I'm pretty sure I recognize that version of HV verse with that Brian energetic vocal. Also found on H&V sessions, vol 2, track 10.
Love that vocal, but also love Brian and Mike trading vocals on 1967, January mix!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »

The way jeff worded it, it sounded like he was saying that piece was strictly recorded for BWPS, instead of being a vintage 1960's written piece.

Sorry, I had assumed that everyone was aware that the woo woos were originally recorded in 1966-67.  In any case, they were recorded for H&V, and to my knowledge were never placed in any other song at the time.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with the extend theme your referring to. Does anyone have a sample of this I could hear?

Seagull- "soniclovenoize" has done a few reconstructions that are accessible.  Here's a vimeo link to one that includes Worms with the extended bicycle rider piano theme. https://vimeo.com/136646972   You can also go here: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html.
leetwall97
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »

You're welcome! This stuff needs to get out before it becomes forgotten! The other stuff I want to remaster is nothing mind blowing. I have the master take of The Old Master Painter and the Child Is Father of the Man acetates (the vocals are slightly different than the Smile Sessions on those, but still much better). Oh, and I don't remember how I got the DYLW and H&V acetates.  LOL

I enjoy these mixes!

Absolutely! The biggest reason Smile didn't come out was the lyrics; they weren't finished! Van Dyke abandoned the project. Brian tried to finish them for songs like CFM and Look but he just couldn't capture Van's wordplay. The 2nd reason is the song restructuring on the singles f'd up the flow of the suites on the album.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:28:14 AM by leetwall97 » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »

http://vocaroo.com/i/s03eziKiSlhR

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »

?
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »

Hey soniclovenoize i listened to your full  1967 Smile mix, loved it!
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »

Hey soniclovenoize i listened to your full  1967 Smile mix, loved it!
Thanks!  Smiley

zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »

Hi guys!
This is my work, a personal reconstruction based on a lot of edit, personal lislistening of material, production and other fan mix in the world!
I'm a musician, i work as a producer in a studio and loved doin it.Smiley
Hope you like it!
https://youtu.be/nwCdeF0RzSI
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

Thanks zavarov - I had actually come across this independently.  Good work!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx