gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:54:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 New Music.  (Read 21122 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »

New Bowie EP on iTunes today: No Plan, which includes Lazarus, the title track, and two other tunes. I believe they're from the musical.

On the indie side of life, a new Shins album is announced for a March release, with 2 tracks available already.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »

New Bowie EP on iTunes today: No Plan, which includes Lazarus, the title track, and two other tunes. I believe they're from the musical.

On the indie side of life, a new Shins album is announced for a March release, with 2 tracks available already.

Thanks, captain, for launching this topic. I'm always open to suggestions about new music. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
krabklaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »

To observe Bowie's birthday, a video for the song 'No Plan' was also released today. I really like that song and wouldn't have minded a bit if they had decided to include it on Blackstar.  I'm not that enthusiastic about the other two new ones. They were all included on the Lazarus cast album that came out in November.

See the video here:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgdid8dsC8

New Flaming Lips album 'Oczy Mlody' is due out on Friday the 13th.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:45:22 AM »

Of Montreal has a new EP coming out this week. Hopefully it's strong new material instead of more of the afterbirth that was the last album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »

New music from 2017 that I've listened to:
"Strange or Be Forgotten" - Temples
More dreamy than their other single, "Certainty". This will be the final track on their new album due in March, and it sounds like a good album closer to me.

"Fly on Your Wall" - Angel Olsen
Sort of similar to MY WOMAN; also, the second half is wonderful. It's part of a project called "Our First 100 Days" that I think you guys should check out.

"Name for You" - The Shins
I can't not comment on new Shins stuff. "Name for You" took a few listens to grow on me, but I enjoy it enough now. I'm pretty excited I'll be a happier person when their new album comes out.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »

Of Montreal has a new EP coming out this week. Hopefully it's strong new material instead of more of the afterbirth that was the last album.

and how did that turn out for you
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »

and how did that turn out for you
Pretty bleak.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »

Pond (which includes some touring members of Tame Impala and has albums produced by Kevin) will have a new album, The Weather, to be released May 5th.

I listened to "30,000 Megatons" last night. I think I liked it, but I was distracted and only half listening. I haven't listened to that much Pond, but I'm interested in this.

Also, the album artwork looks pretty cool. A pic of some mall in Perth:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:30:26 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

New Father John Misty album on the way. I continue to be uncertain as to my own feelings about him: so talented, yet I can't really get into the comedy schtick (although he occasionally does crack me up).

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

Heard the Foxygen album. Sounded sort of like a Broadway musical. Think I will listen again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »

Brian Eno's 'Reflection' was a surprise to me. It's a one track, 54 minute soundscape that just rolls along, but it keeps you interested with different sounds, bass notes, and atmosphere.

The sound of this record would seem to be perfect for a planetarium. No doubt I'll be listening to this on nights out with the telescope.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »

Mac DeMarco released two new songs today and announced his new album, This Old Dog, to be released May 5th. The album cover features artwork similar to that of his previous side project Makeout Videotape (instead of a picture of himself).

Listen to new songs here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utdidBGSw5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKLy0uKL3Y

More fun stuff: Beach House is releasing an album of rare songs/b-sides. Expect that within the first half of the year.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:58:55 PM by undercover-m » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »

Picked up the new Jens Lekman and Jesca Hoop albums. Haven't listened to either in full yet, and thus this report ends in 3, 2, 1, now.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »

A new Mountain Goats album is coming this spring. Huzzah for Goths. And apparently, in a nod to Queen's old tagline although from the opposite direction, "No guitars." That's interesting. I love Darnielle's piano in general, and the leadoff single, "Andrew Eldritch is Moving Back to Leeds" (great title!) seems to have drums, bass, marimba, electric piano, maybe a pedal steel?, clarinets, and flutes. Great arrangement, too! It's most often his lyrics that I love most of all, and I haven't even dug into those yet. But the music is great, bouncy and interesting. After a couple of what I thought were lesser albums, I was a big fan of the wrestling album a couple years ago and am excited for this one as well.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »

I'd like to shout from the rooftops that Cotton Mather has a new album (not to mention had one last year that somehow I failed to know about)! This band had the great mid-90s album KonTiki as well as some other cool stuff, but only three full albums and an EP from the 90s through '02 or so, when they called it quits.

Bandleader Robert Harrison is now in the midst of a 64-song project that will be released and performed by both Cotton Mather and his other band, Future Clouds & Radar. From what I can tell, so far it's the two aforementioned albums and a 3-song single, so hopefully there is a lot more coming soon. Happy happy happy happy.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:57 AM »

Kendrick Lamar's new album, DAMN., is out today. I've downloaded my copy but haven't listened yet. (I mean, it's 7:15. Let me have my coffee.) But I am pretty excited for it. And I have been listening to the Cotton Mather albums I was so excited about last weekend all week long. Very nice. Also I've been happily listening to Aimee Mann's new album. And Craig Finn's.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »

New Kendrick!!! Gonna see if they received a copy at a local library.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:12:07 AM by Ovi » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »

And I'm really looking forward to the new Lorde album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »

I haven't decided whether I'm excited about it or not. I've listened to the two songs she's released so far and while I don't dislike them, neither have I thought all that much about them. I am certainly going to listen to it when it's out, though.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »

I haven't decided whether I'm excited about it or not. I've listened to the two songs she's released so far and while I don't dislike them, neither have I thought all that much about them. I am certainly going to listen to it when it's out, though.

I've managed to avoid both of them. I prefer to hear them within the album. Same with Kendrick's singles. It reminds me of when he released i two years ago as the leading single and everybody thought he'd gone commercial because it was too happy and anthem-like. But then we heard it within To Pimp a Butterfly and it made so much sense as the conclusion.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 06:35:22 AM »

I've managed to avoid both of them. I prefer to hear them within the album. Same with Kendrick's singles. It reminds me of when he released i two years ago as the leading single and everybody thought he'd gone commercial because it was too happy and anthem-like. But then we heard it within To Pimp a Butterfly and it made so much sense as the conclusion.

Makes sense, but I suspect the artists actually want you to hear pre-release singles outside of the album context (or they wouldn't release them early!). That's not to say you have to, naturally. But I don't think it's betraying their intentions or anything.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »

Oh, I know. It's just something that I like to do.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »

Well I think that's just wrong and proves you're not a real music fan.  LOL

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »

And it's not like Lorde's album will be an 80-minute concept or anything like that. At least I don't think it will. Since Kid Cudi did one, you can never know for sure.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »

Actually--and I am not kidding--I understand that her album is a concept album.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx