gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:00:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 New Music.  (Read 21134 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »

Yeah my brother played it for me and it's more of same like the last two albums.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »

So this new Lotde album is supposed to be a bid deal, getting great reviews and all. I'll be honest, her debut isn't bad, or at least I'm a fan of "Tennis Court." I'm looking forward to listening to this one.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »

So this new Lorde album is supposed to be a bid deal, getting great reviews and all. I'll be honest, her debut isn't bad, or at least I'm a fan of "Tennis Court." I'm looking forward to listening to this one.

I liked the debut----but I'll pass on the new one.

By the way, Mari, any sign of the captain across at PSF? I haven't noticed him there (or here) in ages. He is a missed man.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

Every single SmileySmiler should check out Jens Lekman's latest record  3D

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2017, 04:26:27 AM »

Just did. I'm sure it's very good of its kind but it's not for me. Perhaps the words are too important. I did my best----sorry!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »

Just did. I'm sure it's very good of its kind but it's not for me. Perhaps the words are too important. I did my best----sorry!
Hey, that's okay Smiley "Thanks" for trying! Smiley
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »

Am loving the new Fleet Foxes, Crack-Up. Went to see them in concert the other day and they were incredible. Made me feel like I was seeing The Band or something special like that. They have such a way about them. I love Third of May. My favourite of the year so far.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »

Am loving the new Fleet Foxes, Crack-Up. Went to see them in concert the other day and they were incredible. Made me feel like I was seeing The Band or something special like that. They have such a way about them. I love Third of May. My favourite of the year so far.
I have similar feelings. I'm quite a fan of "Cassius" and "On Another Ocean" myself, although ToM is great. I saw them live as well, which was a crazy experience for so many reasons.

Anyway, I'm glad to see someone else likes them here. They're so influenced by bands that people here enjoy, but I rarely find other fans around the forums. Granted, I didn't really care for Robin's voice at first, but here I am now, dazzled by his little masterpiece. Based on people who listened to the leak, I expected the album to be weirder, but that's ok with me. I wouldn't mind if they kept going in this direction, towards a weird, darker Fleet Foxes.

Out of all the albums I was looking forward to this year—i.e., the Shins, Mac, Real Estate—this has been my favorite one. The Wild Honey reissue was a lovely surprise as well.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »

They are like The Band and The Beach Boys had a lovechild! Their harmonies are incredible, and Robin Pecknold has such a beautiful voice. They were really, really great live. When did you see them undercover-m?

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »

They are like The Band and The Beach Boys had a lovechild! Their harmonies are incredible, and Robin Pecknold has such a beautiful voice. They were really, really great live. When did you see them undercover-m?
I saw them at the Showbox in Seattle back in May. They're quite wonderful live. I'll be seeing them at least once more this year. Looking forward to that as I'm much more familiar with the album now.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2017, 01:11:06 AM »

You know, I never thought I would ever say this, but I really enjoyed that new Harry Styles album. I really like his song "Sign of the Times," it never gets old for me.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2017, 03:13:26 AM »

You know, I never thought I would ever say this, but I really enjoyed that new Harry Styles album. I really like his song "Sign of the Times," it never gets old for me.

I must give that a listen. I'm not familiar with him at all.

He was in Christopher Nolan's must-see WWII film, Dunkirk. (I only learnt that later.)

Apparently there were protests about him being cast in it! What's the point? Just about every film has a familiar face in it...

KDS
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2017, 05:36:17 AM »

He was in Christopher Nolan's must-see WWII film, Dunkirk. (I only learnt that later.)

Apparently there were protests about him being cast in it! What's the point? Just about every film has a familiar face in it...

Protests?  Why?  Jon Bon Jovi was in U571. 
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »

Yea his album is really good, he channeled a lot of 70s British rock in it. It was a nice surprise.
Dunkirk was FANTASTIC! If people haven't seen it yet, you're really missing out! And Harry was great in it, as well as everyone else in the cast! Not one character was miscast.
Yea people were mad at the fact that he was in it because he was from the boy band One Direction. That's pretty much it.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »

Hey Jess is back! 3D I sent you messages, girl. Reply back! 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2017, 01:29:41 AM »

Hey Jess is back! 3D I sent you messages, girl. Reply back! 3D

Grin Thanks RangeRover!

-Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2017, 03:06:41 AM »

I've given the album a listen. I think it's a brilliant debut, every song a winner. It's true you can hear all kinds of influences mainly from the '60s and '70s but that's fine with me.

I generally steer well clear of music aimed at a young age group until it's aged a bit, so to speak. I didn't have that feeling with this album at all. 

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:41 AM »

I gave that one a few goes and have mixed feelings about it... the rockers mostly didn't impress me, but on the other hand 'Carolina' is great.

Anyone tried the new Randy Newman album? I haven't listened to everything of his but there can't be much in the catalog as weird and wonderful as 'The Great Debate'.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »

Anyone tried the new Randy Newman album? I haven't listened to everything of his but there can't be much in the catalog as weird and wonderful as 'The Great Debate'.

Thanks, Dudd. Got "TGD" lined up for later. ;=)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »

I picked up Newman this morning. One listen, but enjoyed it.

On a related note, Pitchfork has an interview with him up today, focused on a track-by-track discussion of the album. The introductory paragraph includes this funny-and-sad commentary on the state of humanity.

"The hunched 73-year-old recently turned up in a segment on TMZ’s TV show, of all places, reporting on “Putin,” a track from his latest LP, Dark Matter. The song is a biting faux-anthem for the Russian president, with lines like, “When he takes his shirt off/Makes me wanna be a lady!” It’s a goof, but TMZ was stumped. “Is he puckering up—or poking fun?” asked the clip’s cartoonish narrator, after Newman affably tried to explain the song to a paparazzi cameraman in an airport. Then the gossip site’s newsroom launched into an argument about the song’s true meaning—as evidence, one diminutive TMZ staffer even attested to the bigotry of Newman’s 1977 hit “Short People,” a song that was written to expose the ills of baseless bigotry."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »

one diminutive TMZ staffer even attested to the bigotry of Newman’s 1977 hit “Short People,” a song that was written to expose the ills of baseless bigotry."

That's rich. I remember at the time everyone assumed Newman was a short person himself. LOL

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

I've given the album a listen. I think it's a brilliant debut, every song a winner. It's true you can hear all kinds of influences mainly from the '60s and '70s but that's fine with me.

I generally steer well clear of music aimed at a young age group until it's aged a bit, so to speak. I didn't have that feeling with this album at all. 

I felt the exact same way when I heard the whole thing, I'm glad you enjoyed it too! It's a rare thing for me where I like every single song on an album and every song on this album I either liked a lot or loved.

-Dennis Wilson
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »

I gave that one a few goes and have mixed feelings about it... the rockers mostly didn't impress me, but on the other hand 'Carolina' is great.

Yea "Carolina" is a banger! It's one of my favorites along with "Kiwi."

-Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2017, 02:16:21 AM »

Gave "TGD" a listen but gave up about halfway. "Putin" was more fun:

"Putin puttin pants on / One leg at a time" LOL

"Baltimore" from Little Criminals is my all-time favourite Randy N song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvDge63Iy8

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »

Interesting song from Grizzly Bear's new album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuCy6LCgqJg
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx