gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:05:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 New Music.  (Read 21138 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »

Actually--and I am not kidding--I understand that her album is a concept album.

Oh, sh*t.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »

To be fair, I don't know whether it's explicitly a narrative, or just thematic. But it is to some extent, from what I've read, a concept album. (See how I'm withholding the concept to avoid polluting your mind, pre-listen, though? Respecting your preferences!)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »

By the way, since we're about a quarter of the way through the year, here's my little recap of what's been going on from my perspective.

Best albums (alphabetical order):
Aimee Mann, Mental Illness
Cotton Mather, Wild Kingdom
Craig Finn, We All Want the Same Thing
Dirty Projectors, s/t
Thundercat, Drunk

Also pretty good and/or too soon to tell (also alphabetical):
Jens Lekman, Life Will See You Now
Jesca Hoop, Memories Are Now
Kendrick Lamar, DAMN.
Laura Marling, Semper Femina
Valerie June, The Order of Time

Most disappointing:
Magnetic Fields, 50 Song Memoir
The Shins, Heartworms

Most anticipated:
The Mountain Goats, Goths
any potential albums rumored coming from Earl Sweatshirt and Neutral Milk Hotel

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »

Good idea since the Captain is more influential than Pitckfork these days....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »

Heh, I think Conde Nast's financials would prove that to be inaccurate.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »

Its about the ART! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »

You take the art, I'll take the income.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »

I must admit I've not heard many albums from this year so far. Nothing really piqued my interest until now with Kendrick. And I've been busy catching up on Prince, The Police, Roxy Music, OutKast, T. Rex, Marvin Gaye, Bruce Springsteen, ABBA and a few others.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »

I've been trying to keep up, but it has been hit and miss. There are a few things out there I meant to check out (Your Old Droog, Conor Oberst) that I haven't even gotten around to sampling yet. So much music, so little time. Especially when work gets in the way.

Speaking of, I'm "working from home" at the moment. Which means fucking around here and listening to music. And people wonder why I don't post under my real name...

KDS
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »

Deep Purple released their new album last Friday.  I've heard one song.  Pretty good for later era Purple (sans Blackmore / Lord).  Haven't purchased it yet.  

Funny you mention Springsteen, Ovi.  I've been on a kick lately.  I just bought myself a copy of Live 1975-85
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 08:04:16 AM »

Funny you mention Springsteen, Ovi.  I've been on a kick lately.  I just bought myself a copy of Live 1975-85

He's great! I've been playing The River and Nebraska lately. Born to Run is an old favorite, total masterpiece.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 08:05:50 AM »

Tunnel of Love is pretty good as well.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:36 AM »

And everybody raves about Mount Eerie's A Crow Looked at Me. Has anybody here heard it (captain?)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 08:07:27 AM »

Nebraska
I think it's his best, though there is stiff competition (primarily from the other albums you named, really). To me, that's his greatest masterpiece.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »

And everybody raves about Mount Eerie's A Crow Looked at Me. Has anybody here heard it (captain?)

This will sound a bit tactless, but is that the one by a guy whose wife died (about his wife's death, etc)? If so, I literally just sampled the iTunes free snippets of a few songs and didn't know what to think of it quite yet. (If not, then no.) I'm always a little hesitant to embrace "tragedy art." It's almost as if the listener is guilted into liking it. I've referenced it a thousand times over the years, but there was an interesting controversy about the choreographer Bill T. Jones's piece "Still / Here" when I was in college. If I recall the controversy properly, it was a dance piece in which (non-dancer) AIDS sufferers were featured. Some prominent critic refused to review the piece, basically saying that it was unfair: a critic who too-heavily criticized the (again, non-dancer) performances would be seen as a heartless asshole; yet from a technical perspective, how could it be otherwise? I believe the non-reviewer called it "victim art."

That concept has stuck with me since that time. Whether I see mentally ill artists (Daniel Johnston ... or sometimes, Brian Wilson) seemingly trotted out, or see the inevitable "breakup album," or whatever other variation on the theme, I always feel a bit queasy and want to proceed with caution.

But all that said, art is and always has been inspired by tragedy as much as, if not more than, by triumph. And of course there is a difference between someone unprofessional or incompetent being (potentially) used versus a talented professional taking inspiration from the dark side. So there's nothing absolute here. It's just something often in my mind.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »

This will sound a bit tactless, but is that the one by a guy whose wife died (about his wife's death, etc)? If so, I literally just sampled the iTunes free snippets of a few songs and didn't know what to think of it quite yet. (If not, then no.) I'm always a little hesitant to embrace "tragedy art." It's almost as if the listener is guilted into liking it. I've referenced it a thousand times over the years, but there was an interesting controversy about the choreographer Bill T. Jones's piece "Still / Here" when I was in college. If I recall the controversy properly, it was a dance piece in which (non-dancer) AIDS sufferers were featured. Some prominent critic refused to review the piece, basically saying that it was unfair: a critic who too-heavily criticized the (again, non-dancer) performances would be seen as a heartless asshole; yet from a technical perspective, how could it be otherwise? I believe the non-reviewer called it "victim art."

That concept has stuck with me since that time. Whether I see mentally ill artists (Daniel Johnston ... or sometimes, Brian Wilson) seemingly trotted out, or see the inevitable "breakup album," or whatever other variation on the theme, I always feel a bit queasy and want to proceed with caution.

But all that said, art is and always has been inspired by tragedy as much as, if not more than, by triumph. And of course there is a difference between someone unprofessional or incompetent being (potentially) used versus a talented professional taking inspiration from the dark side. So there's nothing absolute here. It's just something often in my mind.

Yeah, it's that one. I hear what you're saying, but I actually get excited when I hear a story like that because it means there's a chance we'll get some music that goes a bit in an extreme, if you know what I mean. I think a lot of music today is too tame, not even bad, but just transparent, especially in the indie rock and singer-songwriter fields. If this is another Bon Iver, count me out.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »

I agree with your sentiment, but maybe my problem is that half the time the tragedy albums feel every bit as fake and belabored as a Taylor Swift post-performance "surprised gratitude" face. ("Oh my gosh, you're clapping for li'l ol' me!?") I hear less honesty than many people seem to hear. Actually I think I was saying something like that to Smile Brian not that long ago: I think the "authenticity" people hear isn't usually there.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »

Yeah, "authenticity" really depends on if you are a fan of the artist in the first place.

KDS
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »

He's great! I've been playing The River and Nebraska lately. Born to Run is an old favorite, total masterpiece.

My go to albums are Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »

Minneapolis-based musician Jeremy Messersmith--whose mid-60s-Beatlesque album The Reluctant Graveyard a few years ago was absolutely fantastic--has a new album out today, too: 11 Obscenely Optimistic Songs For Ukelele: A Micro-Folk Record For the 21st Century and Beyond. Sound a bit twee for your tastes? Well, yeah. But he's good, and it's $7, so whatever. He also put out the songbook for it first, a couple weeks back, encouraging fans to record and post their versions prior to the album's release. (I got the songbook but never got around to looking at it.) Kind of interesting approach.

I like this song best so far (of the four I've gotten through), "Love Sweet Love": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PutswpbiikU
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:02:00 AM by the captain » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »

By the way, since we've had some Springsteen talk here today, I really think that his fans may want to check out Craig Finn's new album, We All Want the Same Things. Finn was in Lifter Puller and the Hold Steady, and has done a few solo albums. Of that history, I've only really liked one album (Hold Steady's Boys and Girls in America from 06 or 07). But this is some of his best writing and the tracks are nice, too. Sometimes it rocks (in a very Springsteen kind of way: not HARD rock, but rock), though there are softer moments as well.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

Listened to the new Kendrick album twice now. What'd y'all think?

If I recall correctly, I really enjoyed "Fear." I'm not crazy about Bono being on this album, but that track isn't unlistenable. Also, rumors of a second album (sort of an Easter-type album resurrection?) to be released on Sunday?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »

Also, rumors of a second album (sort of an Easter-type album resurrection?) to be released on Sunday?

Hadn't heard that. Interesting. That would also be, what, three albums released within the past year or so? (untitled unmastered, DAMN, and the new one.) I like it. As a listener, my preference is usually for the (earlier) Dylan, Prince, Zappa, Reed school: put out a sh*t-ton of work and let someone else figure out whether it's any good.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »

Cap, what do you think of Bob Dylan's new album?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »

Haven't listened and don't really plan to, to be honest. I enjoyed the first standards album, to a moderate degree. I was entirely unenthused for the second. This one, I just can't even pretend to care, despite a good friend's insistence that it has some absolutely glorious moments (which I don't doubt). But while I don't doubt the man's capacity to perform inspired renditions of standards, it's not what I seek from him. It may well be my loss. I don't doubt that after he dies, I'll eventually get to it as I dig into the corners and crevices of his output. But for now? I just can't quite care. I'm too into Cotton Mather.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx