gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:47:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Beach Boys Moments  (Read 9783 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 03:34:53 AM »

The descending bass and ascending flutes in "I'm Waiting For The Day". Followed by the rest of this supremely uplifting song. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »

"Furry, floppy easy rider" line in 'Wrinkles'. Sublime...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »

The entirety of Brian's 'Still I Dream of It' demo. I've probably never heard a more honest song in my life (both vocally and lyrically).

This is one song I wish to god that Brian would re-record for his upcoming rock and roll album (even just as an exclusive bonus track). Put some crazy beautiful strings in there, harpsichord, wall of Brian harmonies, etc. Could be won-won-wonderful.

edit: for anyone who hasn't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEsehvPOvM

"Still I dream of it,
of that happy day when I can say I've fallen in love
And it haunts me so,
like a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above
"

Some of the best lyrics in the entire Beach Boys catalog.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:22:01 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »

The entirety of Brian's 'Still I Dream of It' demo. I've probably never heard a more honest song in my life (both vocally and lyrically).

This is one song I wish to god that Brian would re-record for his upcoming rock and roll album (even just as an exclusive bonus track). Put some crazy beautiful strings in there, harpsichord, wall of Brian harmonies, etc. Could be won-won-wonderful.

edit: for anyone who hasn't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEsehvPOvM

"Still I dream of it,
And it haunts me so,
"

I agree. Brian is often an underrated lyricist. I think if he had more encouragement, he could have written more lyrics like these without the need for collaborators.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »

Hell, the BW suite of songs at the end of surf's up is epic!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »

"Still I dream of it,
And it haunts me so,
"

I agree. Brian is often an underrated lyricist. I think if he had more encouragement, he could have written more lyrics like these without the need for collaborators.

His song 'Awake' has this same feel of innocence and beauty - I really think he had so many of these types of songs inside of him. Btw, anyone know whatever happened with the 'Bedroom Tapes'?

That LA Times writeup of all those tracks that were in the "vault" was such a damn tease (as great as the article was). In this new age of digital releases how much could it cost to release those demos/tracks on iTunes? I would pay $20 or more for a digital set of that material.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »

Awake needs to be a bonus track on the next BW album!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »

"Still I dream of it,
And it haunts me so,
"

Favorite line for me on that track is "like a tree that's just been planted I found life today". Always moves me, esp when looked at as a spiritual *lyrical* successor to A Day in the life of a tree.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »

The three part vocal chorus in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
The complex backing track of Let Him Run Wild
The Grand Coulee Dam part of Cabinessence. Everything about it, vocals, instrumentation, just awesome.
The cyclical organ pattern in The Little Girl I Once Knew. Plus those knock-out vocals on the chorus.
The Hawaiian chant in Do You Like Worms?
The harmonized humming in Little Pad.
The final choral section on Surf's Up (Child Is Father To The Man)
The ending to Endless Harmony ("And we sang God Bless America....")
The last one minute and thirty seconds of All This Is That
The sax solo in Shut Down (I'm totally not kidding. It's so bad-ass and punk. Love it!)
The last 38 seconds of Wind Chimes from Smiley Smile
The 'Love To Say Da Da' part in Cool Cool Water
The 'Oomm dot dit it' parts of This Whole World
Mike Love's lead on All I Wanna Do
The middle part of Long Promised Road (long promised road, trail starts at dawn, carries on....)
Brian's "Oooooo's" on the chorus of the '67 version of Here Comes The Night
The 'success had come to my solution/my instant aid to evolution' part of My Solution
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 07:17:21 PM »

"Still I dream of it,
And it haunts me so,
"

Favorite line for me on that track is "like a tree that's just been planted I found life today". Always moves me, esp when looked at as a spiritual *lyrical* successor to A Day in the life of a tree.

I never made the connection with ADITLOAT but I'm so glad you brought that up.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »

Thank you kindly!

Another one for me is the "deep and wide" part in "Time to Get Alone", although the most recent remasters have been overly compressed to the point where some of the magic is gone.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »

Add Some Music to Your Day - Brian's part where he sings, "When day is over, I close my tired eyes."

I've had this bit stuck in my head since I read this. I forgot how great this song is.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

The shift of a whole tone in "The Shift".

I'd say it was upward; Lambert claims it's downward...

Whatever, it's a masterstroke and probably not attempted before or since.

And it sounds great! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_vUHgz_jGo

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

And it sounds great! 

I forgot about this song haha. The shift does sound upward.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:13 AM »

And it sounds great! 

I forgot about this song haha. The shift does sound upward.

I suppose Ian Lambert sees the first two bars of the verse as being pushed down a tone, so to speak, and it jumps up to the right key in bar three, only to be pushed down again at the end of the verse. But that doesn't explain the bridge.   

Actually, the intro has a upward shift of its own. I can't help thinking of the extraordinary double modulation after the bridge in "Girls On The Beach". "The Shift" might be described as a first step in that direction.

To say nothing of Dennis's introductory four-on-the-floor. Smokin

Another "moment": Carl's sung "stars" during the spoken part of "Can't Wait Too Long"...

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 04:10:19 AM »

Feel Flows synth. 8 notes repeated twice. Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/gh1YKIZlXWs?t=174
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:50 AM »

Feel Flows synth. 8 notes repeated twice. Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/gh1YKIZlXWs?t=174

Oh yes. Talking of "Feel Flows"----two more favourite moments for me are the only two BB instrumental workouts over an ostinato (rather than using the chords of a verse or chorus), the other being in "Leaving This Town". Both are simply overwhelming.   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2017, 04:54:20 AM »

My big-time favorite is "Lavender" - beautiful song with beautiful vocals. It's benign & joyful in understated way.
"Cabinessence" - chorus & Mike's bits. I dare say this song alone smashes Pet Sounds with 13 tracks. It's THAT cool. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »

Mike's bass vocal in the chorus of 'Cherry Cherry Coupe' ("My cherry coupe beats em up coming off the line, and she really gets sparks when she starts to whine"). I think it's one of the most underrated songs in their catalog and that bass vocal is kick ass.

This vocal line also reminds me so much of the "truck drivin' man" line from Cabinessence; it's a completely separate line from what everyone else is singing but it fits perfectly with the song.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »

Deep and wide.

I mean, talking about genius. The moment lasts maybe one second, but it grabs you and never let's go... Somehow unbelievably moving.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »

I mean, talking about genius. The moment lasts maybe one second
You're right. Just checked it. police

Incidentally, it was WIBN with "sore throat" Brian lead that was 1st favorite BBs song. But then I listened to Pet Sounds & it's definitely best version. I'm glad the clearer vocal take is picked to be in the album.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »

Speaking of Wouldn't It Be Nice:

First verse, the way the bass line interacts with the lead melody; then second verse, with the group vocals on top. These are two of my favorite BB moments ever, pure genius.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 06:42:46 AM »

Among my favorites: The a capella vocal break on "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". A fully stacked wall of jazz vocal harmony that explodes, then drops out entirely switching to only Mike's bass vocal riff. That is stunning vocal arranging, right there. Pure excitement.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:59 AM »

The outro/round/fade of "Til I Die" has become even more of a favorite recently - I don't think there is anything quite like that in popular music. Sonic bliss.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »

I think there's nothing like the whole song 'Til I Die in popular, or any music. It has been my fav BB/BW song for some years now.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx