gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:34:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Beach Boys Moments  (Read 9770 times)
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »

I was listening to 'California Girls' today and this one bit that I forgot about
https://youtu.be/fmIsdMWzdaE?t=2m35s
came up and after listening to that one bit over again 4 times I started thinking about other particular moments/bits in Beach Boys songs that always get me. I couldn't find a thread for something like this (I might not've looked hard enough but there you go), so here we are. I'm curious to see what other people choose. I could choose many more (and just all of Pet Sounds) but these are the few that immediately come to mind:

The whole flute bit
https://youtu.be/2r1V3oDSydM?t=1m40s

This little bit immediately followed by those strings always gets me
https://youtu.be/PiGGgBNon60?t=1m49s

The strings always get me, especially when he says "forever"
https://youtu.be/LU8Tpb3_2o4?t=53s

This is probably one of the most beautiful things Brian ever came up with
https://youtu.be/Uio_cnWZMsM?t=3m35s

The rest of the song from this point
https://youtu.be/QcHckXNq164?t=2m45s

The little bit Brian sings right after Mike does
https://youtu.be/mky-UhxUKoM?t=3m30s

I might be the only person that feels this way but I always felt this song was so sad because she didn't really exist and this last little verse just makes it obvious that he's really alone and she's just a dream
https://youtu.be/oTFOu8lSoYs?t=1m36s

And the ending of this song is still the most beautiful thing I've ever heard
https://youtu.be/8WUI4DhUfnw?t=3m9s

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:57:30 PM »

The coda in Airplane.

The build-up and introduction for the guitar in Tune X

Jay Guru Dev - All This Is That

The hawaiian chant in DYLW

1:20-1:32 in Never Learn Not to Love

"Hi Rick and Dave, Hi Pop, Good morning Mom"- Part in Disney Girls

The Coda in Dont Go Near The Water (Let's also not forget Al's "Toothpaste and Soap"- part!)

And how right-on they start All Summer Long

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »

"Hi Rick and Dave, Hi Pop, Good morning Mom"- Part in Disney Girls

That bit always gets me
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:03:57 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:49:55 PM »

The part in Let Him Run Wild that goes "Guess you know I waited for you girl" is sublime.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »

The part in Let Him Run Wild that goes "Guess you know I waited for you girl" is sublime.

It amazes me how Brian hates his vocal on that song. I think it's one of his greatest. His vocal is so pretty (which is why he dislikes it: "I sounded like a fairy."). The way he sings "forget" ('All the dreams you shared with him you might as well forget') and then the background harmonies that sort of stumble in immediately afterwards; I can't even think of words to describe that bit, but I felt like pointing it out. It might be the most underrated Beach Boys song (probably not but it's definitely one of them).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:09:48 PM by Adult Child » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:14:45 AM »

2Adult Child: is it different than your thread? Check: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8992.0.html

- Billy Hinsche "One In A million" (about Dennis) - good chorus.
- "Luau" - "Lu lulu lu luau"
- "Little Saint Nick" a la "Drivin'" - funny!
- "TM Song" - "Sometimes it goes real fast another time it goes real slow" & "Transcendental meditation should be/ really works". If smb. says Al is uncool, play this song to them.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Scaroline No
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »

Man, there are so many... I think my list is probably a million miles long. Off the top of my head:

This Whole World: ah-ooooooooooooooooooooom-bop-ditty (that whole “wait for it” feeling followed by “me gusta” satisfaction)   

Time to get Alone: deep and wide (makes me feel like I’m getting event horizoned – pulled apart by gravity at the edge of a black hole)

In the Parkin’ Lot – the outro harmony section, in particular, Brian’s Ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo transition

All of Don’t Worry Baby, because it is actually the sexiest song ever made

You’re so Good to Me – that hook, that groovy groovy hook

You Still Believe in Me – like I have to say which part. During the show in Toronto on last year’s BWPS tour, I could have sworn every hair on my head was standing on end and I might have floated off the ground a little bit.

Wake the world – the horn (trombone?) makes me so happy

Cabinessence – Doyng Doyng Doyng Doyng is just about the best thing ever, it’s one of those things that’s so subtle and I wish there was a whole song of just that

Funky Pretty – the part with the cutesy altered place nameseees

Talk to Me – Tallahassee Lassie... whatever I'm doing, wherever I am, when this happens I start bobbin' and struttin'

I’ll Bet He’s Nice – baby-ooooooh (chills)

Baby Blue - the synthy bits give me an achy feeling in my chestal cavity

HELP is on the way – the H E L P entangled harmony part
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »

2Adult Child: is it different than your thread? Check: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8992.0.html

Wow I forgot about that.
But there is a difference sort of in that this is a list of a lot of your favorites. Like today I could put the "You've been thinkin bout some things...." bit from 'From There  to Back Again' in that thread but I wouldn't say it's one of my absolute favorites. It's not much of a difference I know but all the bits I listed here sort of loom large in my psyche and it's a little more than kicking my ass. I mean I'll probably be thinking about that end bit of 'Surf's Up' when I die. So this thread isn't about the moments that are kicking our ass right now, it's about the moments that will kick ass forever.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »

Wow. I really need to take a closer listen to that song...beautiful!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:29 AM »

What about drip drop? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »

If you cover your ears and pretend you're listening to 'Cool Cool Water' it's almost just as beautiful.

Maybe he was trying to do a punk sort of thing to get the group popular again. That's why he consciously added all those "Let's go motherf&ckas!".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:43:30 AM by Adult Child » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 09:49:25 AM »

Without a doubt the greatest moment in BBs history Grin

Forreal though if I could take 50 BBs tracks with me on a desert island that would be one of em.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »

Forreal though if I could take 50 BBs tracks with me on a desert island that would be one of em.

What would the other 49 be?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »

What would the other 49 be?

Ding Dang looped 49 times Grin

Ahh, 49 desert island tracks...I'll have to think about that.

One of my favorite Beach Boys moments ever is that part around 2:00 in Susie Cincinnati where the band does those high harmonies "oooh ride oooh ride Susie Cincinnati riiiiiiiiiide" - the mixing between the vocals and the backing track is one of the coolest sonic moments in The Beach Boys catalogue.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »

DYLW Hawaiian chant with the crazy guitar in the background. Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »

Okay, AC----not right now, but for ever.

Two that spring immediately to mind are the swirllng synth texture at the words "long promised road" and Brian's penultimate "anyhow" in "We'll Run Away"...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:37:17 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 06:14:10 AM »

Billy, is it possible to tack this topic onto the end of the "The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now" thread? Then everything would be in one place. Just an idle thought...
I did ask this question 1st. Adult Child replied in post 7 - didn't you read, john? I think it's fair explanation.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:26:35 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »

Two that spring immediately to mind are the swirllng synth texture at the words "long promised road" and Brian's penultimate "anyhow" in "We'll Run Away"...
Now you're talking, john. Thanks for co-operation. police
Rule of thumb: Read the whole thread before chiming in. & it's not like super-long thread either (yet).

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »

Rule of thumb: Read the whole thread before chiming in. & it's not like super-long thread either (yet).

When your span of attention is so short that you give up reading Mike's book after 10 pages, believe me this thread is long. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »

The way Al's vocals echo at the very, very end of TSS Surf's Up. Chills everytime.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »

"My love is burning brightly" part of All I Wanna Do

"Foreverrr FOREVERRR"

Good Vibrations Coda

"You know its gonna make it that much better" part of WIBN
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 09:06:10 AM »

Quit telling people what to do. You are not a mod.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »

When your span of attention is so short that you give up reading Mike's book after 10 pages, believe me this thread is long. Grin 

I agree with Adult Child...I actually overlooked this thread...sorry for the late response

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »

Good Time - The chorus; I love the horns.
Add Some Music to Your Day - Brian's part where he sings, "When day is over, I close my tired eyes."
Country Air - Brian's falsetto at the end of the third verse.
Wouldn't It Be Nice - The bass during the "It only makes it worse..." parts.
Do It Again - Carl's part where he sings, "With a girl the lonely sea looks good with moonlight."
Little Bird - The part where Dennis sings, "Where's my pretty bird? He must have flown away."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:15:29 PM by clinikillz » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 02:06:05 AM »

Brian's bridge vocal in lieu of Mike's (Maybe if we wish and dream...) on the 1997 stereo mix of WIBN.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx