gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:12:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are the Beach Boys 'Famous'?  (Read 6076 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »

Not a real deep topic I suppose, but I thought about this a bit when reading both Mike and Brian's books.

Webster's Definition of famous
a :  widely known
b :  honored for achievement

I guess it's the 'widely known' line that I am curious about. Certainly, one would expect that a lot of people on the planet have heard of The Beach Boys. But when it comes to the individual members, where would they fit on the fame scale? A Kardashian or a Trump I would assume in this day and age would be spotted and recognized most places they go. Brian Wilson is a name many would recognize, but would the average person know him if they saw him coming out of a deli? Al, Bruce, David? Mike even?
Are these guys a)Famous, b)Famous for being in The Beach Boys or c)Not Famous
KDS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »

Not a real deep topic I suppose, but I thought about this a bit when reading both Mike and Brian's books.

I guess it's the 'widely known' line that I am curious about. Certainly, one would expect that a lot of people on the planet have heard of The Beach Boys. But when it comes to the individual members, where would they fit on the fame scale? A Kardashian or a Trump I would assume in this day and age would be spotted and recognized most places they go. Brian Wilson is a name many would recognize, but would the average person know him if they saw him coming out of a deli? Al, Bruce, David? Mike even?

I would say that, overall, The Beach Boys are famous. 

While I really don't believe they're a revered as they should be, I think The Beach Boys are very famous, and you still hear their music used in pop culture today. 

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:17:34 AM »

While I really don't believe they're a revered as they should be, I think The Beach Boys are very famous, and you still hear their music used in pop culture today. 

Agreed KDS, but do you think that the individuals are 'famous' as an extension? Would David Lee Marks, for example have the stresses and trappings of someone famous?
Not sure my point here but, for example, a star hockey player, playing in Montreal would be widely recognized, hounded for autographs most places he went in the City, and probably not have to buy too many meals or drinks. That same guy could probably walk the streets with high level anonymity in a market like Arizona or Florida.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »

Agreed KDS, but do you think that the individuals are 'famous' as an extension? Would David Lee Marks, for example have the stresses and trappings of someone famous?
Not sure my point here but, for example, a star hockey player, playing in Montreal would be widely recognized, hounded for autographs most places he went in the City, and probably not have to buy too many meals or drinks. That same guy could probably walk the streets with high level anonymity in a market like Arizona or Florida.

I don't think the individual members are an instantly recognizable as a McCartney, Jagger, Steven Tyler, Ozzy Osbourne, etc, or a famous actor or athlete.

Especially Bruce, David, Al, and Blondie. 

But, you can really say that about a lot of legendary musicians. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »

I had just brought this up in the Inauguration thread, thanks for expanding on it.

The band from the 1960's "The Beach Boys" is famous, immortal even. I have never mentioned the BRAND name and received a blank stare. However, this is a very different status of immortality than The Beatles who were and always will be the same four guys. The fact of the matter is that most people I'd say more than half the planet even, could not name a single member of the band. The other half could definitely name and recognize Brian Wilson, no doubt about that. Then probably about half of those people could name and recognize Mike Love and if they know Mike, then they will probably say something like "and the brothers", but not actually be able to name Carl and Dennis. I've gone through that at almost every Beach Boys concert I've attended. Anyway, then about half of THOSE people MIGHT be able to name and recognize Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and/or David Marks...and then there's all of us!  LOL
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »

I had just brought this up in the Inauguration thread, thanks for expanding on it.

The band from the 1960's "The Beach Boys" is famous, immortal even. I have never mentioned the BRAND name and received a blank stare. However, this is a very different status of immortality than The Beatles who were and always will be the same four guys. The fact of the matter is that most people I'd say more than half the planet even, could not name a single member of the band. The other half could definitely name and recognize Brian Wilson, no doubt about that. Then probably about half of those people could name and recognize Mike Love and if they know Mike, then they will probably say something like "and the brothers", but not actually be able to name Carl and Dennis. I've gone through that at almost every Beach Boys concert I've attended. Anyway, then about half of THOSE people MIGHT be able to name and recognize Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and/or David Marks...and then there's all of us!  LOL
Yes, very interesting in that, as you say The 'Band' is definitely a known commodity. You are probably pretty accurate in terms of individual recognition. Of course it's kind of a fluid thing, I suppose. For example, if Al walks into a place, and SOMEONE points out that he is a Beach Boy, the interaction probably changes within the crowd.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »

Brian has more name recognition now than he certainly did 20 years ago.
Scaroline No
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »

I recently watched Love and Mercy with my mom (casual Beach Boys "fan" who thinks it's amusing that I'm into "her music"). About a week later she texted me to ask what "that Bryan Williams movie is called again?". I was so annoyed I replied "Byron Wilkins? Who's that?"
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »

The Beach Boys as an entity is incredibly famous.  With the Beatles and the Stones, it's one of those bands that EVERYONE knows of. 

But the individual members are surprisingly un-famous.  Brian Wilson is a known commodity in some circles, but he certainly doesn't have the fame of Paul McCartney or Mick Jagger. Everyone else is relatively unknown, considering the fame of the overall band.  Didn't Dennis make a comment along these lines?  That there were no superstars in the Beach Boys, that the music was the superstar.  I seem to recall something along those lines. 

funny story:  after a M and B show two summers ago, I witnessed Mike get mobbed by concert-goers seeking autographs.  One of them, walking away with an autograph, said "which Beach Boy was that?"
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »

They're definitely famous, everybody I know know's who they are. But they're famous for their surfing songs and that early image. A lot of people know of Pet Sounds and less know of SMiLE and I doubt a whole lot know of most of their records after those (with the exception of 'Kokomo' which is probably, in my experience, the song that kind of defines them in a lot of peoples eyes). But it's that early California girls riding in your woodie to have some fun in the sun and surf all the time image that most people know. They're icons because of that image.

But yeah also the individual members aren't really known at all by most of the people who only know them for that early image (because once you hear of Brian Wilson and care enough to remember his name and see why people talk about it you hear of Pet Sounds and then that probably changes your whole perception of them).

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

Fairly famous as a group, but individually not so much at all.  That is why the individual members are quite often referred to in the media as Beach Boy Al Jardine, Beach Boy Mike Love, Beach Boy Brian Wilson and so forth....otherwise a lot of folks might not know who the hell you are even talking about.  Also, their greatest fame occurred before the explosion of the mass media and coverage of the pop music scene, and coupled with their quaint name, they were quickly consigned to oldies status.  Kinda like most people can't name individual members of the Four Seasons....except for Valli who was a pop star in his own right.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »

Definitely b). But that goes to every musician that went solo who's been before in the band. They might've made it big but still perform the band hits & in magazines & professional reviews you may see the references to the artist being previously in this & that band & if the solo music continues the best traditions of the said band, resembles it etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »

I tend to doubt that. Brian was well known in the 90's as an eccentric genius, the Don Was documentary was widely seen, and most fans of 60's pop knew about Pet Sounds and Smile.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

I think it's fair to say that, apart from Brian, Dennis is the most famous member of the band. Sadly it's for the wrong reason : because he's dead and because he died young.

There's a clue about Al Jardine's popularity in this SNL sketch (the gag is at 2:18) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUkBhVnFxdM

Weird dude... Funny!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »

At the 50th anniversary concert I saw Bruce before the show jump off the stage and go to concessions and wasn't bothered that much! Even at a Beach Boys concert! Someone said that the star of the band is the music. And I did another thread that suggested they are the biggest band who's members are able to go out in public and not be bothered much. Except in periods where they are getting a lot of press (1962-66, 1976, 1989-90, 2011-12). Outside of that, most people wouldn't notice. Yet 99% of people out there recognize the hits.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »

To be fair, I'm not sure I would recognize Bruce when he's wearing big boy pants.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »

I think Mike would be noticed if he dressed as he does onstage. Hatless, he would go unnoticed.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »

Hatless, he would go unnoticed.

That's  the opening line to the epic TS Eliot poem 'The Positive Song Of M. Edward Lovecock'
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:00:35 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 04:37:40 AM »

The Beach Boys are famous for early surfing/cars/girls songs, Good Vibrations and Kokomo. Brian is recognizable on the streets and revered, but is not comfortable with it. Mike wants to be recognizable on the streets and tries to be revered but is not, and is frustrated by it. Mike is probably more famous because people dislike him so much. Al, Bruce and David are in a famous band, are very good musicians and are probably nice guys but not famous because of their accomplishments.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »

I disagree.  I think a whole heap of people have known about Brian to at least some degree from the mid 60s on.  They know about his being creative...they know that he had some kind of difficulty.  AND...they know that he's the guy who gave the Beach Boys their songs and sound.  I would think that he actually gets both more blame and more credit than he deserves or than he earned.  Other guys in the band obviously did some creative stuff...and then there's the one who sang through his blinkin' nose...too.

The Beach Boys are, as always, truly famous.  Infamy they DON'T need though.  One guy [nose boy] is responsible more than any of the others for THAT side of things.  Other than Brian I'd say the rest of the group...including the current problem boy...are as famous as the various members of the Dave Clark 5.  They're almost famous.  That doesn't make it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:28:29 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 08:19:52 AM »

David Letterman used to have a running gag on his late night show about "one of the Beach Boys -- Al Jardine." I think he liked the sound of Al's name.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »

The almost famous is probably a nice spot to be in, when you think about it. Not constantly hounded, anonymous for the most part, but if you crave adulation or some of the perks, you can probably get them from time to time.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »

The almost famous is probably a nice spot to be in, when you think about it. Not constantly hounded, anonymous for the most part, but if you crave adulation or some of the perks, you can probably get them from time to time.

Totally agree. I saw a video of Paul McCartney walking down a street in New York City. He was very polite with people but he needed to keep moving. He said he can not stay in the same place too long or things would get chaotic. I bet Brian Wilson could spend an hour in a resteraunt and maybe a handful of people would approach him I'm guessing. Where as Paul would draw a crowd.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »

There's a reason Mike and Bruce wear hats which "The Beach Boys" That is the answer to the original question. 

They would all, including Brian, go unnoticed by the public at large.

To some extend most people below a certain age would not know who Paul McCartney was if he was standing next to them.  And we have now reached the generation who can't name the members of the Beatles like other generations could.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »

There's a reason Mike and Bruce wear hats which "The Beach Boys" That is the answer to the original question. 

They would all, including Brian, go unnoticed by the public at large.

To some extend most people below a certain age would not know who Paul McCartney was if he was standing next to them.  And we have now reached the generation who can't name the members of the Beatles like other generations could.

Jesus that's depressing

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx