gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:33:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles role in SMiLE's demise  (Read 2470 times)
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:25:44 PM »

I've read everything I could find, and have seen a few documentaries about Brian & SMiLE (my favorite spelling of it) but I've never been exactly sure where his competitiveness with The Beatles and his feelings about 'Strawberry Fields Forever'/Sgt. Pepper fit into the ranking of things that led to SMiLE being shelved. Some people (quite a few) have said that it was a major factor in the whole saga but I never really felt it was that important in the grand scheme of things. I was just curious on other people's views on The Beatles place in the whole SMiLE demise story.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »

More pressure on a mentally destabilizing BW...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:37:16 PM »

More pressure on a mentally destabilizing BW...

That's what I think, and what I've thought, but was it just pressure?

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »

Upon hearing Strawberry Fields on the radio Brian freaked out and said something to the effect "they got there first" implying they had achieved what he was trying to do with Smile.  This is February 67 when he was deep into finishing Heroes & Villains which incorporated unusual sounds like the tape explosion and whistles and French horns - and of course SF had unusual sounds mellotron Indian instruments cellos varispeed vocals backwards tapes.  Really they were both getting more experimental but when you get to the specifics there isn't anything in SF that would somehow co-opt Smile or make anything in Smile sound like copying the Beatles, but Brian was apparently shaken by what he heard.

He heard She's Going Home in April - nothing Smiley about that track.  Pepper came out in June Brian was working on the minimalist Smiley Vegetables.  Smile had already been abandoned however he was still recording at Western and Columbia, the home studio wasn't ready until June 11th or so for the final Heroes sessions.  So I don't see how Pepper, time wise, had any effect on the abandonment of Smile
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »

A scape-goat.   They really had little or nothing to do with why the project ground to a halt.  That was internal.  That was Murry.  That was that 'love' guy.  That was the result of those 2 'triggers' spiking Brian's mental disorder.  As there was, then, nothing with which Brian could apply the brakes...the whole thing became a maze rather than amazing.  Them's the breaks.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »

I think Brian was getting paranoid due to drugs mixed with his already fragile psychological problems. He starts hearing voices in his head. I think he came to a point where he started interpreting everything in a negative light. For example the feelings of his band mates. I believe the other Beach Boys were blown away by a lot of the music from Smile. But like anything else they worked on before or since, they had opinions or suggestions. They had a few minor disagreements. In Brian's mind that meant they hated it. The law suit with the record company at the time, Mrs O'Leary's Cow and a real fire down the street, and he is convinced of the worst! He thought his house was bugged by Phil Spector or Murray (actually, from what we know about those 2 maybe they were!!!! Shocked

Anyway, did the Beatles play a role in Smile's demise? Yes! Just like everything else because it was Brian's state of mind at the time.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »

He heard She's Going Home in April - nothing Smiley about that track. 

I think you're referring to 'She's Leaving Home'. ;-)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 05:23:04 AM »

It's all Ringo's fault.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »

He heard She's Going Home in April - nothing Smiley about that track. 

I think you're referring to 'She's Leaving Home'. ;-)

Yes of course.  In Bizarro World the song would be titled "He's Going Home."
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »

I'm sure i heard or read sopmewhere about Brian being played an acetate of 'A Day in The Life' before anything from Sgt Pepper had come out, and that it was this & the SFields single stealing in ahead of him - something along the lines of first is first and second is nowhere maybe?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx