gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:44:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Songs Without Mike Love  (Read 5680 times)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

I don't mean for this to be a divisive thread, prefer focus on just being informative. But I was looking to make a playlist of Beach Boys songs that don't include Mike in the vocal blend, and wondered what fit the bill. I would love to have another list that was just recordings that had the three Wilsons, but I think this is a good start. Obviously, it can be hard to pick out voices in the blend sometimes, especially since Brian would occasionally just overdub himself.

Here's what I think so far, but PLEASE feel free to add or correct! I'm probably VERY wrong on a number of these! (I will update the original post to reflect new information)

Surfin' Safari
Cuckoo Clock

Surfin' USA
Misirlou (Instrumental)
Honky Tonk (Instrumental)
Let's Go Trippin'

Surfer Girl
The Surfer Moon
The Rocking Surfer (Instrumental)
Your Summer Dream
Boogie Woodie (Instrumental)

Shut Down, Volume II
Denny's Drums

All Summer Long
We'll Run Away (All Brian?)

Christmas Album
Blue Christmas
White Christmas

Today!
Do You Wanna Dance?
In The Back Of My Mind

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!)
Girl Don't Tell Me
Summer Mean New Love
I'm Bugged At My Old Man

Pet Sounds
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
Let's Go Away For A While
God Only Knows
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Friends
Passing By
Little Bird
Be Still
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Diamond Head

20/20
Be With Me
The Nearest Far Away Place [Bruce Instrumental]
I Went To Sleep

Sunflower
Our Sweet Love

Surf's Up
Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) [Al Solo]
A Day In The Life Of A Tree

Carl & The Passions - Hang Tough
Here She Comes [Ricky & Blondie]
Make It Good
Cuddle Up

Holland
The Trader

15 Big Ones
Palisades Park
Just Once in My Life

Love You
Good Time
Honkin' Down The Highway
The Night Was So Young
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
I Wanna Pick You Up

M.I.U.
Come Go With Me

L.A. (Light Album)
Love Surrounds Me
Baby Blue
Goin' South
Full Sail

Keepin' The Summer Alive
Livin' With a Heartache

Still Cruisin'
In My Car
Wipeout

If people want to add later albums that's awesome. I might try to round up official outtakes at some point too, but feel free to contribute those as well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:39:12 AM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »

I believe there are several songs on LA and KTSA missing the Lovester - Livin' With a Heartache, Love Surrounds Me, Goin' South, Baby Blue, possibly Full Sail.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

I think there might be some more on Friends. Wake the World?  Be Here in The Morning?
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »

I think there might be some more on Friends. Wake the World?  Be Here in The Morning?

I think you're right about Be Here In The Morning. Is that low part Murry Wilson maybe?

Wake the World I feel like I hear Mike's nasal twang prominently on the chorus, but I could definitely be wrong. What do others think on that one?

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:24:44 PM »

I think there might be some more on Friends. Wake the World?  Be Here in The Morning?

I think you're right about Be Here In The Morning. Is that low part Murry Wilson maybe?

Wake the World I feel like I hear Mike's nasal twang prominently on the chorus, but I could definitely be wrong. What do others think on that one?

Same here, especially on the words morning and running water.

And actually, I'm pretty sure I hear Mike on Be Here In The Morning as well. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:28:44 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

I think there might be some more on Friends. Wake the World?  Be Here in The Morning?

I feel like on the "ooo-wah-ah-ah-ah" pre-chorus I hear Murry. It kind of sounds like if Dennis did a deep bass.

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »

Does anyone hear Mike on the song "Friends"? I don't think I do.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 08:50:08 PM »

I feel like on the "ooo-wah-ah-ah-ah" pre-chorus I hear Murry. It kind of sounds like if Dennis did a deep bass.

Yeah I would agree with that.  I think I hear Mike on "full" and "No calls from Korthoff, Parks, or Grillo".  I also hear him on the harmonizing at the end of the song.  
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »

Yeah I would agree with that.  I think I hear Mike on "full" and "No calls from Korthoff, Parks, or Grillo".  I also hear him on the harmonizing at the end of the song.  

First of all, that "full" is beautiful. What cool moment to focus on for a bit. "Deep & Wide" TTGA style.

Second, I feel like I hear him best in the harmonizing at the end. Certainly possible!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »

Isn't "Come Go With Me" just a stack of Al Jardines?

Also, "In My Car" off the "Still Cruisin'" album is a stack of Brians with Carl and Al adding chorus lead vocals. I'm pretty sure only Brian, Carl, and Al are on that one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »

Also, "In My Car" off the "Still Cruisin'" album is a stack of Brians with Carl and Al adding chorus lead vocals. I'm pretty sure only Brian, Carl, and Al are on that one.

If there are any other BB's on CGWM, I sure don't hear them.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:04:16 PM »

Was "We'll Run Away" really all Brian?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »

So "You never give me a chance" is Al as well?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »

Was "We'll Run Away" really all Brian?

I was iffy on that one, but I didn't really hear Mike in the harmonies at the end. And the bass seemed a little light in the main backing blends, so I thought I'd put it in to see if anyone else had thoughts.

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

Also does anyone hear him on My Diane from M.I.U.? I don't

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 01:57:51 AM »

Isn't "Wipeout" a pure stack of Brians?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KDS
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 05:21:34 AM »

From TWGMTR, is Mike on Shelter or Strange World at all?
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »

There is a YouTube video of one of the sessions from "Shelter" (it was part of the TWGMTR promo blitz) and Mike is there. Bruce sings a part that was used on the album so I don't think it's staged.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 06:04:09 AM »

So "You never give me a chance" is Al as well?

I think so. I think power of suggestion (and Mike singing on live versions) made it easy to hear it as Mike. But when you dig into that recording, it certainly sounds like all Al, which makes sense in light of the few times he has told the story of recording the song (using the mobile recording unit because they rented it and nobody else was using it, etc.).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:56 AM »

There is a YouTube video of one of the sessions from "Shelter" (it was part of the TWGMTR promo blitz) and Mike is there. Bruce sings a part that was used on the album so I don't think it's staged.

I'll have to seek that out.  While I like the song, the harmonies in Shelter sound more like BW's band than the BBs IMO.  Especially when compared to the harmonies in Think About the Days, From There to Back Again, and PCH.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 06:09:21 AM »

Also does anyone hear him on My Diane from M.I.U.? I don't

There is a low voice in the end section of the song ("I love you Diane, I miss you Diane") that could be Mike.

If you compare the original circa late 1976, presumably Brian-helmed, mix of the song to the eventual "MIU" mix, there were additional background vocals added for "MIU." I don't know if Mike is on those background vocals (I don't particularly hear him on the "MIU" era backing vocals singing along to Dennis's lead on lines on lines like "everything is wrong and nothing is right"), but he could be on that ending coda (which I believe, though, is heard on the earlier mix).

A lot of those kind of higher-pitched, whiny MIU Album backing vocals are difficult to pinpoint. I think Rocky Pamplin is in the mix on some of those songs. There are some cases where the only plausible BB present on backing vocals *sounds* like it could be maybe Brian or Al, but you never know.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:33 AM »

Mike is on that "Shelter" little video bit, though it's impossible to know how "staged" those little bits are. But it's certainly plausible he's buried in the mix somewhere.

I always assumed it was Mike and Foskett singing those little interludes (e.g. "do you ever still think of me?), but I think it was Joe Thomas in an interview who suggested that even though Foskett is obviously singing the first part of those choruses solo ("I'll give you shelter..."), it was actually *Brian* doing the falsetto bits along Mike in the second "do you ever still think of me?" sections. Either way, I think it was suggested the low part on those bits is Mike.

But I think Brian is *still* more of a vocal chameleon than we sometimes think he can still be, and that coupled with Foskett doing a butt load of temp vocals on that album makes me question how often I can *for sure* hear the other guys on a given song. Sometimes it's very obvious of course, with Al in particular peaking his voice through.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx