gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wishes for Beach Boys 2017  (Read 12532 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:56:58 PM »

I'm stealing the thread idea SJS began at PSF. What would you most like to see from the Beach Boys and/or its various affiliated personnel in 2017? This is what I said there, and, in that it has only been like half an hour what I guess I still think. (Also, look! I don't hide out exclusively in the General Music or Sandbox forums. Does this post renew my board membership for another year, or do I have to write a check, too?)

My wishes for 2017:

I want new studio material, and if it's going to be half so dramatic as last time, I'd rather it just be Brian with any combination of Al, Blondie, Dave, and Brian's band. (If Mike and Bruce were interested in participating and making new material--material that isn't about rhyming sun and fun [fun, fun] 75 times a song or so delusional about who they are as to insist upon playing the role of dirty old leering men on the beach just begging for somebody to call the cops--then I'm all for that, too.)

It can--as I've been dreaming for years now--dribble out a tune at a time online, if that's how Brian is feeling it. Or an EP here and there. Or an album. Whatever. But new stuff that he wants to create, that's what I want. And if I'm going to get selfish, I'd like to have fewer Brian leads and more Al, Darian, and Matt. Let Brian add the lines he's capable of enunciating in his own range and the better singers sing the tougher or wordier parts.

No suites. No themes. Ideally few-to-no covers. Just songs. They can rock, they can be sweet, they can be weird, they can be clever, they can be stupid. Just songs.

As for Beach Boys material, I'd like to see more archival stuff, with an emphasis on unreleased studio material over live stuff or alternate takes.

And hopefully none of them dies this year. Though at this point it wouldn't surprise me with any of them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »

I wish for a stereo remixed Wild Honey with bonus tracks and outtakes.
I wish for a special release of Sunflower with bonus tracks and outtakes. Ditto Surf's Up.
I wish for the 4/4 version of Big Sur to be released officially.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:19:37 PM by clinikillz » Logged
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »

I really can't imagine them recording any new material this year as the Beach Boys. Also, as cool as that would be, I think 'Summers Gone' was about as perfect as a final Beach Boys song as they could come up with.

It'd be great if Brian released a solo album with Al, Ricky, Dave, & his band but it wouldn't be the Beach Boys obviously. Even though Brian is and was always by far the most important member, it kinda wouldn't and couldn't be the Beach Boys without Mike (and Bruce too I guess, though especially Mike). Hell, That's Why God Made the Radio didn't really feel right without Carl & Dennis.

I was taken aback abit by the sort of "I'm old now and I know it" attitude of 'From There to Back Again' through 'Summers Gone' on TWGMTR. It was refreshing to hear Brian and the boys (whoever else wrote it, I can't imagine Mike writing it) facing the feelings of their reality as opposed to pretending they were 18 or whatever getting it off with school girls and endless youth and all that stuff (which seems to be Mike's whole trip and the unholy subconscious reason for that damned hat he has to wear I always felt). It'd be cool if Brian wrote some really personal songs about how he feels now. I feel, and the autobiography I guess is a sign, that he's more comfortable now in his skin than he's been in years because he's accepted the past and maybe (even though he supposedly moved on 20 or so odd years ago) he's finally moved on to living for today. Not the album, of course. But I don't mind if he doesn't really. He deserves to do nothing if he wants to.

It'd be really cool if they could release a Brian's Bedroom Tapes album, or boxset with a neat booklet with information and all that. Even though there's kind of a mystique about those songs rarity (like there was with Smile) there are too many songs from that period that I don't think would ever slip online otherwise and I really need to hear the original demo of 'Til I Die'. That boxset would be amazing.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »

I wish they all could be California Girls...   Sorry!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

I wish they all could be California Girls...   Sorry!
Hey, between their money and modern science, they could be.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »

Also it would be cool if someone could compile a book full of Brian interviews throughout the years. I've seen a Lennon on Lennon book and a McCartney on McCartney book at the store recently and I'm sure there's one for Bob Dylan and it'd be cool to see all the things he's said about various things over the years. As good or not as his memory might be these days, I think a collection of all the most in depth interviews he's done would give a more complete picture of his own thoughts on his music (however much he's really talked about it). For someone as amazingly talented and brilliant as he was (and is), he rarely really talks about the music, and never really has in depth as far as I can remember ever reading.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 03:04:14 PM »

I'd love a Brother-era rarities and outtakes compilation, or even a Sunflower/Surfs Up sessions box set.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »

I'd love a Brother-era rarities and outtakes compilation, or even a Sunflower/Surfs Up sessions box set.

They (the actual Beach Boys) attempted to rerecord the instrumental bits for 'Surfs Up' before eventually deciding that the original was better. Their attempt would be cool to hear.

A collection of Dennis rarities would be cool, to show his "journey" or whatever as an artist. He really bloomed in that period (69/70).

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »

I'm hoping for something special for Wild Honey's 50th. It would also be nice if Brian decided to tour Smile again in 2017.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:21:20 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 08:18:05 PM »

I hope Mike releases his new solo project recorded with Michael Lloyd. It’s apparently ready to go. Please Mike…

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 08:21:38 PM »

I wish for a stereo remixed Wild Honey with bonus tracks and outtakes

This would make my life.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »

My Wish is to see a Dennis Wilson Box Set
I would see a official Release of Add Some Music and LandLocked
Some New Material of songs like Soul Surfer a song to Dennis Wilson because He was the Surfer of the Band
Release a new CD of New Surfin and Hot Rod and songs about Girls

I had a fast Life
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »

Here's hoping that myKe luHv's license to tour as the Beach Boys is revoked. The sooner, the better.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:26:27 PM »

My wishes for the Beach Boys in 2017:

1. Pack it in.
2. Bonus-packed reissues of everything up to 1979 (beyond which I'm not really interested, not counting solo Brian).
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 01:59:17 AM »

I'd like to see a DVD/Blu-Ray release of their best concert clips and music videos.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 03:03:12 AM »

If nothing else happens except Mike declines the offer to play for Trump then I would take that right now. Have no prob if he wants to play as the endless summer band or whatever but not the Beach Boys.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 03:45:27 AM »

Would be nice to see some deep cuts covered by others have wide commercial success and to see some of same deep cuts featured prominently in some wide release films.    I certainly don' t anticipate anything new in terms of recordings that would rattle my world.  I would like them to remain healthy and maybe smoke the peace pipe together.
Scaroline No
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »

My wishes echo much of what's already been said, but I want to put them out into the universe anyway!

- Continuing health and happiness for Brian, Al, Blondie, Mike, Bruce, David, and all of their band mates, dearest friends, and loved ones, above everything else.

- New music - While a new album would be amazing, that might be asking for a bit much.  I'd love to see Brian bring back the vinyl single format - I think if anyone has the cred to do it, he does 

- No autotune. We know your voices, guys, and we love them just the way they are, at this stage of your lives. Just do what you know you can and use the talents of others to help you out where necessary  Smiley

- Regardless of what happens on January 20th, I wish for the Beach Boys to be able to maintain a positive reputation with their fans both casual and hardcore, and that no one will feel inclined to give up on something they cherish or trash their record collection over a concert. My personal hope is that there is no inaugural performance under the Beach Boys name, but since I have no control over that, I'm going to control only what I can, and that is my attitude. I'm not going to let something like that affect my devotion to this great, great band.

- And if Brian would tour Smile again, I'd be on cloud 9. I missed that the first time around and I'd practically give my right arm to experience that!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:23:18 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »

And hopefully none of them dies this year.

My #1 wish and prayer. Let all the surviving Boys continue to do just that!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »

Release of the Durrie Parks Heroes and Villians acetate featuring I'm in Great Shape.

Hi by the way. I used to post here but haven't for some years.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 11:00:46 PM »

I wish that either the Beach Boys or Brian's or even Al's next album were produced by Jason Lytle of Grandaddy.

https://youtu.be/d17l9PJYwZM?list=PLXjclVOWaN7Xf11NULWHvm7LS54b42HAz

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »

Brian Wilson to tour the 'Love You' album. He hinted on the Q&R on here a few years back, however, doubtful to happen anytime soon. You never know mind!  Cool Guy
KDS
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »

I'd like to see a DVD/Blu-Ray release of their best concert clips and music videos.

I'd love to see this. 

And maybe some DVD of full shows.

(Have to be careful what I wish for.  They might release a way too expensive set a la Pink Floyd)
Scaroline No
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »

You know, I don't know if this is a thing that could happen but... a release of *everything* Brian Wilson ever did with the Wrecking Crew. All together.

*everything worth hearing*
Tacos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 08:45:57 AM »

I wish that either the Beach Boys or Brian's or even Al's next album were produced by Jason Lytle of Grandaddy.

https://youtu.be/d17l9PJYwZM?list=PLXjclVOWaN7Xf11NULWHvm7LS54b42HAz

I wish 1967 Brian Wilson and 1997 Jason Lytle could collaborate.  Still holding out for this new Grandaddy record coming out in a couple months.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx