gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680714 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:52:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wishes for Beach Boys 2017  (Read 12574 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »

It is ever-so obviously over.  Before you squeeze that last dollop of bullshit out of it...call it a day.  What was once great, valid, interesting and unique...what was once a trailblazing source of sound and sonic delights, what was once one of the 'toppermost' touring bands on the planet has shrunk in terms of influence, importance and abilities to the point now that they've become the entertainment world's version of a BAD SMELL.  They won't go away.

Go away.  [and take that 'love' guy with you.]  It's  O V E R.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »

It would end up turning into a compromise album like TWGMTR was. Just let Brian be Brian, work with who he wants with the material he wants.

Good points.  Ok, screw Mike. I wouldn't mind Bruce in the vocal stack, though.

I don't care what type of album Brian releases; I just want something. My only request might sound kinda harsh.  I wish for tons of Brian vocals, stack-o-Brian's, etc., but where he shines the most these days is non-lexical vocals (oohs, ahs, etc.). So I'd rather see more of these and fewer actual lyrics sung by him.  I also wish for a return to the soaring, swooping falsetto. I want it up front and strong, like the good old days.  Matt can pull that off. Use him.

Agreed. I thought Bruce sounded fantastic on TWGMTR. I doubt any involvement would happen between him and Brian, but given how weird things have been in their world anything is possible at this point.

Brian sounded phenomenal on 'One Kind of Love' (he hit some amazing high notes in there), and his Disney albums had top-notch lead vocals. So I think he should do some leads, but I totally agree that Brian should do more "oohs" and "ahhs" and also give Matt some lead vocals. Al still sounds like he's in his 30s - USE this voice for recordings guys...like, it's kind of a miracle that he still sounds like he did in their heyday. Don't just waste all that talent on live performances, but use it to record some timeless songs.

Blondie has a rockin voice, and wouldn't it be great if Brian recorded a Rolling Stone's song for his cover album, and gave Blondie the lead? He kicked serious ass on Wild Honey these past tours...put that energy into an album and I could foresee some good charting.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

"I don't get it Doc. I mean, how can all this be happening? It's like we're in hell or something."
"No, it's Washington DC, although I can't imagine hell being much worse!"

Rab! LOL

LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »

"I don't get it Doc. I mean, how can all this be happening? It's like we're in hell or something."

Rab! LOL

LOL

Priceless!   w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »

Rab! LOL

LOL

Priceless!   w00t! w00t!

Wheeeeeeennnn some loud bigot tries to put me down
To say only his sexual orientation is great
I tell him right away
Now (even though N.O.W. sucks) what's the matter buddy, why you peekin' in my bedroom
While the Prez brags about rape
So be true to your fool now!

At least Bruce can adjust the mic Pence. I'm sure Pence will regret not being able to work his magical conversion therapy on Jack Rieley. Too gosh darn late on that one.  Maybe if Pence finds a DeLorean he can go back in time to fix Jack.

But hey, the bright side is that there's still living BB collaborators like Boy George and Elton John for Mike & Bruce-approved Pencypoo to do his conversion magic on!

The only wishes are for the band to stay clear from association with homophobic, bigoted assclowns.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:33:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:41 PM »

Not expecting any new material from Brian, I think he's basically done as far as recording. Mike does need to get his solo disc out, though, way overdue. Would be nice to have a good biography of Carl, that book from last year was sooo disappointing. How about a "best of Carl" to go with that? A compilation of his best BB's vocals, solo stuff, guest vocals on other people's records...I could listen to that forever.

Your kidding right? Brian is working on a new album, read his biography. Music for Sensitive People is the name he has so far.
I suppose he might put something out eventually, but new music is not where it's at for Brian these days. I suspect he will tour Pet Sounds awhile longer, then maybe tour Smile again. I really don't expect any new music from any of these guys at this late date. The new stuff doesn't sell, the casual fans want the old stuff, and that's what Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce and David will be playing for the rest of their lives.
As for new releases, I am more interested in seeing/hearing some good stuff from the vaults at Capitol and Brother Records. How about an expanded Beach Boys in Concert with some Dennis songs? As good as that double album was, I can think of many songs that would be nice to add - Forever, Long Promised Road, Surf's Up, It's About Time...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »

Not expecting any new material from Brian, I think he's basically done as far as recording. Mike does need to get his solo disc out, though, way overdue. Would be nice to have a good biography of Carl, that book from last year was sooo disappointing. How about a "best of Carl" to go with that? A compilation of his best BB's vocals, solo stuff, guest vocals on other people's records...I could listen to that forever.

Your kidding right? Brian is working on a new album, read his biography. Music for Sensitive People is the name he has so far.

To add to this I hope they mix any possible rock cover album in mono with Brian's guidance. I've been listening to BBs mono albums all night long and there is some kind of power behind such mixing. It could only benefit the sound of Brian's modern studio work.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »

I'd love a Brother-era rarities and outtakes compilation, or even a Sunflower/Surfs Up sessions box set.

This.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »

My wish this year is the same as always.

Plane to LA.

Time machine back to August '66.

Invisibility cloak.

Digital recorder and a stack of SD cards.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

I want the Brian Wilson Bedroom Tapes released!!

Brian said last year that they would come out
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »

That stereo mix of Wild Honey that was made back in 2012.

Jon G.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »

Would love stereo Smile mixes and a full release of Lei'd in Hawaii (including the Wally Heider Heroes and Villains without Mike's monologue and Sloop John B live).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:29:32 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx