gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:48:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wishes for Beach Boys 2017  (Read 12615 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »

Wishes for the Beach Boys in 2017:

Just end it, please!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:50:02 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »

Agreed, the amount of live vocal processing on Mike's voice is getting ridiculous. His voice is a croak at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »

I hope for a relatively drama-free year.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »

Fact-check the self-appointed fact-checkers.

Cut the whitewashing schtick, cut the bullshit, and deal with the facts.

Let the legacy of the band remain the legacy of the band from here to eternity.

Stop the lying and distortions in the name of grudges, agendas, or pure ego.

A chicken in every pot.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »

New studio album from Brian w/ Al and w/Blondie having a prominent role on guitar. Mike stopping by the studio with Bruce and taking lead vocals and co-writing  a couple songs.

As far as the Beach Boys, I'm kinda indifferent. Mike can keep it going.

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 05:46:08 PM »

Do they even really exist anymore?  Not as far as I am concerned.  Even the 2012 reunion was sorta bogus.  But as a studio production band, lots of their music has been kind of bogus.   Though a lot of it really good and from MIU on, a lot of it really bad....
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »

Peace and good health for all The Beach Boys and their families.

A Surf's Up reissue w/ bonus tracks.

Archival live releases from the 70s.

Any new music they care to release.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 08:01:09 AM »

I have one: The full 40 minutes plus of the 1966 Good Vibrations recording session video footage. It was reported this footage was shown to a UK fan gathering that was a paid/ticketed event, so why isn't it also being made available for all fans to see if it already got a private screening?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »

Not expecting any new material from Brian, I think he's basically done as far as recording. Mike does need to get his solo disc out, though, way overdue. Would be nice to have a good biography of Carl, that book from last year was sooo disappointing. How about a "best of Carl" to go with that? A compilation of his best BB's vocals, solo stuff, guest vocals on other people's records...I could listen to that forever.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »

A Brian Wilson collection/compilation of his personal picks for the set along with some choice demos and outtakes would be a nice release to see in 2017. With new liners and notes, of course.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:41 AM »

Wishes for the Beach Boys in 2017:

Just end it, please!

Wise words indeed. But wait until after I've seen Mike's Boys in June. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04:47 PM »

I hope that Mike continues to add some different album tracks on his setlists (maybe at the expense of Pisces Brothers). 

New BW album without Joe Thomas at the mixing board.  What Joe did was fine for Imagination, TWGMTR, and NPP.  But if Brian really wants to do a rock and roll album (the tiny bit of River Deep Mountain High he did in Baltimore this August sounded great), please leave Mr. Thomas out of it. 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »

New album from Brian with as much involvement from the others as possible. I know it's a pipe dream, and would run completely afoul of their now ossified grudge dynamic, but it'd be cool to see Mike and Bruce contribute somehow.  
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

New album from Brian with as much involvement from the others as possible. I know it's a pipe dream, and would run completely afoul of their now ossified grudge dynamic, but it'd be cool to see Mike and Bruce contribute somehow.  

Those two morons would add nothing to a Brian album whatsoever.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »

That would be pretty cool, but if Mike and Bruce somehow got involved with the project, that would likely add extra pressure to call it a Beach Boys album. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »

Those two morons would add nothing to a Brian album whatsoever.

Gotta agree with you. It would end up turning into a compromise album like TWGMTR was. Just let Brian be Brian, work with who he wants with the material he wants. I wrote this on the BW forum, but here is my dream for a Brian Wilson Rock n Roll album:

"I would love to see this album come out. I would also like to see it as a concept album of sorts. Yes, Brian could just go ahead and do a straight album of 12 or so covers.....or he could make this album mimic that of a 60s radio station. The opening could have the sound of someone cycling through radio stations, then BAM you hear a radio station jingle (like the 'Wonderful KYA' radio spot) then the DJ (they could find a classic disc jockey from back in the day to do the narrations) could introduce the first song.

Between every few songs you could have an advertisement or two (for the Radiant Radish and sandbox pianos haha). Before the last song have the DJ conduct a short interview with Brian himself. Make the last song be an original tune that Brian writes with Scott that is inspired by all the songs on the album."

This was before Scott got indicted. Make it a new solo song he writes with anyone he's comfortable with writing with.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:52 PM »

Not expecting any new material from Brian, I think he's basically done as far as recording. Mike does need to get his solo disc out, though, way overdue. Would be nice to have a good biography of Carl, that book from last year was sooo disappointing. How about a "best of Carl" to go with that? A compilation of his best BB's vocals, solo stuff, guest vocals on other people's records...I could listen to that forever.

Your kidding right? Brian is working on a new album, read his biography. Music for Sensitive People is the name he has so far.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »

Your kidding right? Brian is working on a new album, read his biography. Music for Sensitive People is the name he has so far.

Yeah, I wouldn't bet against Brian putting a new album out. Ever hear him at soundchecks? The guy seems to constantly work on rock and roll classics with his band. And if those soundchecks are any indication this rock and roll album is going to fucking rock (Brian Wilson style). Also when he is working on those rock classics at soundcheck the guy is 10000% in control - it's like hearing the Pet Sounds Sessions all over again.

Has Ray Lawlor been around here in a while? I wonder if he knows anything about any new recording...?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 05:10:17 AM »

Has Ray Lawlor been around here in a while?

Officially, not since his October 26, 2016 post about Brian and the book-signing issue...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:45:06 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Scaroline No
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »

Officially, not since his October 26, 2106 post about Brian and the book-signing issue...

JK, I had a feeling you were a time traveller Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »

Officially, not since his October 26, 2106 post about Brian and the book-signing issue...

JK, I had a feeling you were a time traveller Smiley

Haha. I keep doing that. Typing with two fingers isn't all it's made out to be.

Either that or Ray Lawlor is a time traveller. Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »

"I don't get it Doc. I mean, how can all this be happening? It's like we're in hell or something."
"No, it's Washington DC, although I can't imagine hell being much worse!"

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:19 AM »

Officially, not since his October 26, 2016 post about Brian and the book-signing issue...

Thanks for the info. I hope he comes back to shed some light on the any new album updates.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »

"I don't get it Doc. I mean, how can all this be happening? It's like we're in hell or something."
"No, it's Washington DC, although I can't imagine hell being much worse!"

Rab! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2017, 08:58:39 AM »

It would end up turning into a compromise album like TWGMTR was. Just let Brian be Brian, work with who he wants with the material he wants.

Good points.  Ok, screw Mike. I wouldn't mind Bruce in the vocal stack, though.

I don't care what type of album Brian releases; I just want something. My only request might sound kinda harsh.  I wish for tons of Brian vocals, stack-o-Brian's, etc., but where he shines the most these days is non-lexical vocals (oohs, ahs, etc.). So I'd rather see more of these and fewer actual lyrics sung by him.  I also wish for a return to the soaring, swooping falsetto. I want it up front and strong, like the good old days.  Matt can pull that off. Use him.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx