gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:09:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An American Band in the theatre?  (Read 2234 times)
MBE
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:42:13 PM »

I heard that when this movie was shown in the theatre it was a different cut. Does anybody know what the differences were?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:01 AM »

I heard that when this movie was shown in the theatre it was a different cut. Does anybody know what the differences were?

I never saw this alternate cut, but I remember a few of the differences based on a description by somebody who saw it. The two differences I remember were that the theatrical cut included a segment featuring the song "Friends" (I vaguely recall this involved airport footage or something, I'm not sure), and most of the audio included in the theatrical version used the original Capitol mono/stereo masters.

Apparently, there was a problem in the end using finished Capitol song masters in the film. So, when it was put out on video, all of the Capitol-era recordings were replaced either with live recordings (i.e. some of the audio used for the drag racing footage, which featured live versions of songs like "409") or alternate mixes. As I recall, they simply couldn't use the *original* Capitol mixes/masters. They apparently were allowed to use the raw session tapes. So, they apparently went out of their way, when using Capitol-era recordings, to make it very evident that they were using different mixes even if the same basic take was being heard. This is why, for instance, the "Pet Sounds" songs heard in the film feature such drastically different mixes.

As I recall, the film had a very limited theatrical run and may have only even been put in the theaters at all to make it academy award-eligible.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:45:33 AM »

I have that movie poster from the theater.  In fact I've managed to have a couple of band members sign it over the years.

There were two versions on video.  I'm not sure what the differences are.  I'm going to check the two VHS tapes I have for differences and compare to the twofer DVD (IJWMFTT) that is now available.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:11:47 AM »

There were two versions on video.  I'm not sure what the differences are.  I'm going to check the two VHS tapes I have for differences and compare to the twofer DVD (IJWMFTT) that is now available.

AAB was reissued on video as some kind of anniversary special edition in the 90s. The only thing "special" about the edition was the removal of about 40 min. of footage! As you can imagine, most of the removed material was from the "SMiLE" era through '73. Fortunately, the version released on DVD is the full length version.

It's quite possible that the producers only paid for the rights to the original Capitol masters for the theatrical run and the initial television broadcast. In this case, the rights would not have extended to subsequent broadcasts and the video release which is why alternate/live takes were used.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:21:57 AM »

As I recall, there was an initial release and a year or two later an extended version was released.  But I've never taken the time to look for the differences.  I have two or three versions of the film......I think.

Funny, after viewing several of these BB/Brian videos over and again, it becomes hard to remember where one saw what.    LOL LOL
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:38:49 AM »

I saw this movie in an L.A. movie theater the day it came out in '85 and any differences were very minimal.
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 08:47:26 AM »

AAB was reissued on video as some kind of anniversary special edition in the 90s. The only thing "special" about the edition was the removal of about 40 min. of footage! As you can imagine, most of the removed material was from the "SMiLE" era through '73. Fortunately, the version released on DVD is the full length version.

It's quite possible that the producers only paid for the rights to the original Capitol masters for the theatrical run and the initial television broadcast. In this case, the rights would not have extended to subsequent broadcasts and the video release which is why alternate/live takes were used.
And I had always thought that they had used those alternates as a bonus for the fans! Cry
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 09:41:22 AM »

As I recall, there was an initial release and a year or two later an extended version was released.  But I've never taken the time to look for the differences.  I have two or three versions of the film......I think.

Well, I remember quite specifically the rip-off "Anniversary" edition. The full-length version as shown on television in the 80s was released on video, but being a despondent, lapsed fan at that time I didn't buy it. After Brian's first solo album, the wonderful two-fers and the GV Box Set, I was ready to embrace all things Beach Boys again, so I sought out "An American Band". What I discovered was this shortened (75 min. or so?) version promoted as an "Anniversary edition" because it featured new footage at the very end updating the band's story (basically cashing in on "Kokomo" being a hit as I recall). Of course, not only was this new footage added, but huge chunks of the "SMiLE" story and other late 60s sequences were inexplicably removed (or maybe not so inexplicably...). I think this version played on VH-1 or something around this time and I remember early message board posters complaining about it. I was worried I would never see the original version again, but then found both versions side-by-side at a Borders; both were labeled "Anniversary Edition" on the store sticker and priced the same, but one was actually the longer, original cut (which I quickly purchased). Fortunately, as I previously posted, this longer version was the one that was included in the AAB/IJWMFTT DVD release.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:26 AM »

and that is the one to get
MBE
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:58:46 PM »

Thanks everyone, I became a fan when VH1 showed a full version  (just editing out the word f---ing on Brian's shirt) in 1988.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx