gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:56:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Anyone Really Want This? - New Pet Sounds CD  (Read 2488 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:19:28 PM »

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=4328729&title=Pet+Sounds+(Duophonic+%26+Stereo)+(Limited+Edition)&artist=The+Beach+Boys

I mean, come on........duophonic?  Really?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:22:29 PM by petsite » Logged
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

A Duophonic Pet Sounds on CD would certainly be.. unique.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Yankee8156
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »

Seeing as how it was the stereo Pet Sounds before the stereo Pet Sounds, I was really excited about it and pre-ordered it through cdUniverse. A couple places said the release was cancelled by Toshiba EMI, and cdUniverse told me the order was backordered, and that they had no other information as to when the CD might be released, if ever. Needless to say, I was tremendously disappointed.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:26:57 AM »

Yeah. Why waste our time with Mono and Stereo? Duophonic is the way to go. Gimme da mud! I love it. Sell me a defaced copy of the Mona Lisa and a slightly damaged lava lamp right along with it. Alright. Instead of buying a CD of a bad sounding record, why not just buy the record itself, which will surely be more collectible? 20 years of scientific and technological effort made to make CDs sound good and these people want to resurrect the most heinous idea ever created by some those record executives. I’m surprise Mark Linett wasn’t called in for this one. It should be included on the 40th Anniversary Set.
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:24:17 AM »

They're just jumping on the Beatles "Capitol Albums" bandwagon...

Paul
Yankee8156
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

Nobody's expecting to come out and replace the CD standard of the album. It's not even something you'd find in a local store. It's release wouldn't hurt anyone. Yeah, I think it would be something better left for an exhaustive box set that looks to include everything available on the album, but that's not happening anytime soon. Certainly I wouldn't buy it for sound.....that's why I have the DCC issue and the DVD-audio issue. I'd buy it to hear a different version of the album. Yeah, I can get it used on vinyl, but I don't listen to vinyl ( Shocked) so this would be the only way for me to hear it. Nobody who would buy it would be buying without having already heard the album both in mono and new stereo, so it's not going to ruin anyone's perception of the album. And nobody's forcing anyone to buy anything.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:04:21 PM by Yankee8156 » Logged
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »

It's handy to have it, if only for comparative purposes. I'll be getting it.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 10:02:41 AM »

The Beatles' Capitol albums re-issues do make a good comparison.

Although few will intellectually think that they are a "good" way to present the music on CD anyone who grew up listening to them when originally getting hooked on the Beatles or Beach Boys has the potential for a serious, positive deep-nostalgia-emotional response to them that can't be recreated otherwise.

People who didn't grow up with that have the potential for a deep, nausea-centered response that is equally understandable. 

I grew up listening to the Duophony version of Pet Sounds on Capitol then the mono version on Reprise paired with Carl and the Passions So Rough (T). The CD stereo remaster is what I now prefer intellectually, but I may want the Duophony on CD anyway.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx