gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:44:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner!: NO REPLY  (Read 33953 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

Honey Don't
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »

Honey Don't
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »

Welcome back to the fight to survive!

The MANIA continues!!!!

Beatles for Sale is the fourth studio album by the English rock band the Beatles, released on 4 December 1964 in the United Kingdom and produced by George Martin for Parlophone. The album marked a minor turning point in the evolution of the Lennon–McCartney partnership, John Lennon particularly now showing interest in composing songs of a more autobiographical nature. "I'm a Loser" shows Lennon for the first time coming under the influence of Bob Dylan, whom he met in New York while on tour, on 28 August 1964.

Beatles for Sale did not produce a single for the UK – the non-album tracks "I Feel Fine" and "She's a Woman" performed that role. Nevertheless, that coupling was followed up in the United States by "Eight Days a Week", which became their seventh number one in March 1965. In Australia, the only-ever non-original Beatles single (either side) went to Number One: Chuck Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" backed with Carl Perkins' "Honey, Don't", which held the summit for four weeks.

The album hit the UK number one spot and retained that position for 11 of the 46 weeks that it spent in the Top 20. Beatles for Sale did not surface as a regular album in the US until 1987. In its place was Beatles '65 which featured eight songs from Beatles for Sale, plus the A and B-side of "I Feel Fine" and "I'll Be Back" from the UK's A Hard Day's Night album. Beatles '65 enjoyed a nine-week run at the top of the US charts from January 1965.
Honey please don't vote off a great song by Carl Perkins. It's a classic in his oeuvre.  Never the less, 9 smilers have spoken. (13 total)

Per the usual, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

Vote tally will be on January 5.

No Reply
I'm A Loser
Baby's In Black
Rock and Roll Music
I'll Follow The Sun
Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey!
Eight Days A Week
Words of Love
Every Little Thing
I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
What You're Doing
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

Round#1 Mr. Moonlight December 30
Round#2 Honey Don't

First round is an easy one for me (which means it will be voted off in round#8, if past Survivors are any indication.  LOL ).

A cover. A cover of a song that wasn't that great to begin with.

A cover where Paul's voice isn't up to the task.

For the THIRD round in a row: Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey!

Vote!
KDS
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »

Kansas City (Nah Nah Nah) Hey Hey (Good Bye)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »

Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »

everybodys tryin to be my babe

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »

It's a good cover and tribute to one of their heroes, but

Words Of Love

wasn't as good as the stuff the Beatles were writing. At least their version of it.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »

That's real cute, KDS.  Wish I'd thought of that, but I do have the same sentiment.  "Out with the old, in with the new"*... not so fast xtc boy.
You've still got work to do on the very tired voting of the same track round after round, just like the last album.

fa fa fa fa fa fa Goodnight (I hope) to "Kansas City/ Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey!"

*lyrical fragment from "Sacrificial Bonfire"

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »

It's a good cover and tribute to one of their heroes, but

Words Of Love

wasn't as good as the stuff the Beatles were writing. At least their version of it.

That's my favorite version, nobody did this like John and Paul, an incredible tribute.  Another well picked cover, like "Mr. Moonlight" - by this point in their career the cover choices were on a roll.
See the BBC Live Archives for more information.

You're right that they were writing some great tunes, but there is another cover here that should go first.  Check Unreconstructed Wilsonite's pick.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »

That's my favorite version, nobody did this like John and Paul, an incredible tribute.  Another well picked cover, like "Mr. Moonlight" - by this point in their career the cover choices were on a roll.
See the BBC Live Archives for more information.

You're right that they were writing some great tunes, but there is another cover here that should go first.  Check Unreconstructed Wilsonite's pick.

I think it's a great cover but it's my least favorite on the album and quite possibly my least favorite cover besides 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy'. It feels like it could be better I suppose, a feeling which I don't really get from most of the other songs.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »

I think it's a great cover but it's my least favorite on the album and quite possibly my least favorite cover besides 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy'. It feels like it could be better I suppose, a feeling which I don't really get from most of the other songs.
Yes, it's great cover indeed! I like "Kansas City". Paul really shines here as vocalist. I see you say it could be better - maybe. Does it mean that you think that "Words of love" that you picked to buzz off couldn't be better no matter what? Think I'm puzzled by your above statement saying that it's possibly your least favorite cover besides "Dizzy" whist you picked "Words".

"Everybody's trying to be my baby"

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »

Well, I'm late to the party. I would have voted off Honey Don't first, but it wouldn't have been enough to save Mr. Moonlight. Mr. Moonlight's got a terrible reputation, but since when was being one of the worst Beatles songs such a bad thing? I like it. I love the vocal. I seek it out from time to time. Speaking of Mr. Moonlight, has anyone noticed the difference between the stereo and mono versions? I grew up on stereo, so now when I listen to the mono version I feel cheated! It fades out before the final "Mr. Moonlight". Paul really reaches for that note and nails it!

A few random thoughts: 1) Does anyone hear George singing on the Beatles For Sale version of Words of Love? To me, it's always been Paul singing the higher part and John singing the lower part (incredible vocal by John btw; my favorite aspect of the Beatles version). Some claim George sings on it. There is a line or two after the solo where I almost hear what sounds like George singing in unison with Paul and then at the end of the song I can almost hear George singing during the final "ahhhs". That said, I bet it's my mind playing tricks on me since I'm listening for it. It doesn't seem inconceivable to me though, that George might sing along during an overdub. He did sing that song in the past, apparently.

2) I'm not ready for Kansas City / Hey Hey Hey to go! Don't you love those "bye bye, bye bye, bye bye...so long, so long, so long" backing vocals? I do. That's a fine rocker! Respectfully, pixletwin, it never occurred to me that Paul's vocal wasn't up to the task. Oh well.

3) Another Lennon backing vocal that makes the song for me? I'll Follow The Sun. The way he sings "time has come and so my love i must go...lose a friend in the end you will know" is perfect. He really solidifies the mood and enhances the song (like many other McCartney/Lennon harmonies do). I've really been enjoying Lennon's Beatle harmonies lately and the feeling he puts into it. The ones that are comfortably in his range, at least.

My vote is for Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby. My least favorite remaining, but I really like how George sings "Well, they took some honey, from a tree" starting at about the 2:00 minute mark. That's probably my favorite part of the song.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:07:01 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »

Everybody's trying to be my baby
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »

Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »

Yes, it's great cover indeed! I like "Kansas City". Paul really shines here as vocalist. I see you say it could be better - maybe. Does it mean that you think that "Words of love" that you picked to buzz off couldn't be better no matter what? Think I'm puzzled by your above statement saying that it's possibly your least favorite cover besides "Dizzy" whist you picked "Words".

No I meant I think all the other songs have a complete feeling to them. I feel they could've done more with 'Words of Love'. It's a nice tribute but in comparison to the rest it feels lackluster. I do prefer it to 'Honey Don't' though, just cause it's a better song.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »

"Everybody's trying to be my baby"

I love the beatles version of Words of Love. Paul's vocals on Kansas City are strained. Not a great vocal from Paul.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »

Does anyone hear George singing on the Beatles For Sale version of Words of Love? To me, it's always been Paul singing the higher part and John singing the lower part (incredible vocal by John btw; my favorite aspect of the Beatles version). Some claim George sings on it. There is a line or two after the solo where I almost hear what sounds like George singing in unison with Paul and then at the end of the song I can almost hear George singing during the final "ahhhs". That said, I bet it's my mind playing tricks on me since I'm listening for it. It doesn't seem inconceivable to me though, that George might sing along during an overdub. He did sing that song in the past, apparently.

I don't think so, I don't hear George at all. There are little bits when John or Paul's voice sort of hit a tone that kinda sounds like George's voice but it's probably a Liverpool thing. That's the only explanation I can think of!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »

2) I'm not ready for Kansas City / Hey Hey Hey to go! Don't you love those "bye bye, bye bye, bye bye...so long, so long, so long" backing vocals? I do. That's a fine rocker! Respectfully, pixletwin, it never occurred to me that Paul's vocal wasn't up to the task. Oh well.

hehe Adifference of opinion is the spice of life.  LOL
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
Wow.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

Yes.  It's strange how people pick such powerful songs to off.  yes it is.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »

Kansas city, so many better songs they could have covered.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »

I Don't Want to to Spoil the Party...Lennon by the numbers
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »

But John's numbers are so damn good!

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »

^ word

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx