gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:36:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heard Another One on Sirrius XM Deep Tracks...  (Read 17480 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »

"Marcella". Actually though, I didn't hear it...it hit the channel after it had ended, but before the next song title displayed - so I just saw "Beach Boys" and "Marcella" on the screen without actually hearing it. Still cool to know, though.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:05:45 AM »

I miss having Sirius sometimes. I got it because I wanted to follow Howard Stern but that got old after a while. I only listened to Stern, RawDog comedy and the 60's, 70's and 80's channels. The 60's channel played Beach Boys music quite a bit. Mostly the hits, as you would guess, but I did catch a few odd cuts on the 70's station from time to time. Honestly, I think the band has enough music to warrant their own channel. It would be great hearing the deep cuts, alternate versions and interviews from the guys and those around them. If that happened, I would re-subscribe. Grin
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »

I've never heard any BB music on SiriusXM weirdly enough.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

Have heard them on the Garage channel a few times - songs such as Do It Again and Hang on to Your Ego.

On the 60s channel it's primarily the hits but will hear other songs on occasion such as Friends, Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Girl Don't Tell Me

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 12:11:44 AM »

Just last week, I heard TLGIOK on 60s On 6.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 04:26:27 AM »

I've heard Almost Summer a couple times on the 70's channel.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 06:09:33 AM »

I once heard Funky Pretty on Deep Tracks.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »

Just curious how much airplay the Beach Boys get on SiriusXM these days ?

I started my 3 month free trial yesterday and have already heard Wouldn't It Be Nice, California Girls, and Little Deuce Coupe on the 60s channel despite primarily listening to the 50s, Elvis, and Beatles channels. It's cool to see that they've got some play on other channels (Do It Again and Hang On To Your Ego on Underground Garage; Marcella and Funky Pretty on Deep Tracks), anyone else have any examples? Do they get much play on the 70s or 80s channels? Songs from the early 70s albums or the singles from the 70s/80s?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »

I hear a lot of Beach boys on Sirius. I heard "Strange World" yesterday on Deep Tracks and "Do You Wanna Dance" on the 60s. I have Alerts set for several artists and a few songs, so when driving I am alerted anytime a Beach Boys song is playing. I have an alert for Brian and Dennis, too, as on rare occasion they get played. Not all cars sirrius configurations have the Alert option. I find it invaluable. Channels I hear Beach Boys on: 60s, 70s, 80s, The Bridge, Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl (rarely, but have heard Good Vibrations and Sail On Sailer), Garage, Love (God Only Knows mostly), The Loft (where I heard Brian [Southern California from TLOS] and Dennis [River Song]). No Shoes Radio, and Margaritaville. If you can set the alert you will hear quite a bit of The Beach Boys. The Garage will play some hits, but also deeper cuts from the early years.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »

Awesome. I'll look into 'alerts'. It's nice to hear that occasionally tracks like Strange World, Southern California, and River Song get played. And that there's at least a little BBs presence on many channels. Thanks!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »

Wow, "Strange World" was played on Deep Tracks? Fantastic! A newish Beach Boys song (from this decade) on the radio!  Smiley
I heard the dearly departed Tom Petty  Cry play "I'm Waiting For The Day" on his "Buried Treasure" show last year.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »

... I heard the dearly departed Tom Petty  Cry play "I'm Waiting For The Day" on his "Buried Treasure" show last year.

Wow! I didn't know he ever performed that song (or I've completely forgotten)! Thanks for the heads up.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

... I heard the dearly departed Tom Petty  Cry play "I'm Waiting For The Day" on his "Buried Treasure" show last year.

Wow! I didn't know he ever performed that song (or I've completely forgotten)! Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, should have clarified - he SPUN the BBs version. He plays (or played...sadly...) DJ on his show, spinning his favorite records.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »

Sorry, should have clarified - he SPUN the BBs version. He plays (or played...sadly...) DJ on his show, spinning his favorite records.

Oh, that's right. It's all coming back to me now. Still, very cool.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »

No surprise on Petty - apart from the Don Was documentary where he talks like a true diehard fan about the music, he was one of the few in the mainstream rock lexicon before it became widely released to say he loved to listen to bootlegs of Brian recording Pet Sounds, to the point where he'd geek out so much he said it could annoy people as he listened to Brian doing take after take in the studio on those boots.

He was one of us, lol. The list of similar musicians who geeked out on BB session bootlegs like Petty can be surprising, and it's beyond the expected "Olivia Tremor Control" kinds of artists.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »

So, I've been listening to Petty's "Buried Treasure" show...heard Farmer's Daughter, Friends, and Surf's Up tonight.

It's nice to hear his voice.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:29:54 PM by B.E. » Logged

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 04:49:49 AM »

When I saw Tom Petty on the Wildflowers tour the music over the speakers before the show started was a bunch of Disc 5 of the Good Vibrations Box Set.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »

The BB certainly have enough to do a Sirius channel. Even if it was a temporary run like they do with other artists but they continue to miss the boat big time regarding these types of marketing opportunities as they do with electronic downloads with live material.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:12 AM »

The BB certainly have enough to do a Sirius channel. Even if it was a temporary run like they do with other artists but they continue to miss the boat big time regarding these types of marketing opportunities as they do with electronic downloads with live material.

I think a BB Sirius channel would be great.  There's a ton of material with BB, solo BB, artists that influenced the BB and vice versa.   
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »

I think a BB Sirius channel would be great.  There's a ton of material with BB, solo BB, artists that influenced the BB and vice versa.   

I'd love to hear Brian (and Mike, Al, and Bruce) DJ a show like Tom Petty did. They could play BBs studio and live recordings, solo material, unreleased material, and any artist who influenced or inspired them. It would be really interesting/fun to hear the selections they make and whatever remarks or stories they tell about them.

KDS
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »

I'd love to hear Brian (and Mike, Al, and Bruce) DJ a show like Tom Petty did. They could play BBs studio and live recordings, solo material, unreleased material, and any artist who influenced or inspired them. It would be really interesting/fun to hear the selections they make and whatever remarks or stories they tell about them.

That would be pretty cool.   It would actually make me consider getting a subscription.
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »

I heard "It's About Time" from Sunflower,on Deep Tracks yesterday. In the same hour in the car I also heard "Little Duece Coup" on 60s, "409" on Underground Garage. "California Girls" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" later in the day when I was back in the car. The WIBN was the Brian on the bridge version which I prefer. Sirrius plays that version about 80 percent of the time, at least 80% of
the times I hear it.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »

That's interesting about WIBN...I'll have to listen for that! Aside from the songs I heard on Buried Treasure last night (Farmer's Daughter, Friends, Surf's Up), I was really surprised to hear 'The Beach Boys Medley' yesterday! I heard it on the online channel, Oldies Party. I know it was a hit in '81, but I wasn't expecting to hear it.

Edit: I also heard the 'Long Version' of the Medley. I hadn't heard that before. Now I gotta track down the ballad version.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:21:54 PM by B.E. » Logged

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »

Golly gee, that is quite astonishing to think you heard the BBs on satellite radio!  What will they think of next?? Roll Eyes
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »

Troll is hungry! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx