-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Petition beach boys NOT to play at Trumps inauguration
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Petition beach boys NOT to play at Trumps inauguration  (Read 12784 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »

Please remove me from this board ,ban me or tell this filthy deplorable how to get unregistered.

Consider it done, Kirt. But before you go, I have a point to raise:

This board banned the C-man along with many others. There was a time when there were posters with inside knowledge of the Beach Boys world,but they've left or been banned.  So,all we're left with is Mike Love bashing and "What is Brian's favorite color?"

Good bye

C-Man was never banned as shown by him posting earlier this morning. Don't know where you got that false information from, maybe you're listening too much to the ersatz fact-checkers and self-proclaimed insiders who can't seem get a handle on the actual facts?

So first you left in September because C-man was banned even though he wasn't, you left because some "insiders" left or were banned, and because of the Mike bashing. Now it's politics?

Whatever the case, consider it done. I'll leave it open for a bit so you can get the PM invitation to join elsewhere, unless you're already set up elsewhere and posting with an account and just decided to drop in to throw some dirt on the fans who post here.

Have a Merry Christmas!   Kool-Aid Man

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »

Serious question: Why do people ask to be removed from a board instead of just *not* logging in anymore and not looking at the board anymore?

When they're "unregistered" then it actually makes it more difficult to go back and track all the things they've said, because you can't just click on their username.

I don't mind some people departing, especially these people with like 25 posts to their name who only pop up to post one liner political BS.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »

These campaigns in whatever form they take and continue to reappear can at least be comedic entertainment, to look on the bright side of it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »

Is it wrong for me to suppose that this is getting kind of idiotic? Undecided By that— of course— I mean; let's not affiliate politics with music that we enjoy; because people are being more torn apart from one another.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:23:45 AM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »

I screwed up on C-Man being banned. It was Cam Mott,I believe. I wrote that when I was a little ticked. I should have checked before I posted. I have nothing against C-man.I always liked reading his post.
I don't know any of you or any fact-checkers and self-proclaimed insiders.The reason I rarely post is I come here for news on release etc... Why do I ask to be removed? Because ,I'm human and I don't want to post or reply to a post that might be done in anger. It's too tempting to get pulled into a political scrap.  

thank you
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »

Thank you. You just made my argument. You don't know Donald Trump personally. Neither do I. But to call someone a racist simply because of what you might have heard on NPR, CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post or New York Times or whatever does your cause (whatever it is) no justice and diminishes you. Maybe not to all those who might agree with you, but most certainly not for those who come here wanting to talk about the Beach Boys. Everything you stated is YOUR OPINION - you have no proof whatsoever. If you want to hurl serious charges like this you better have more proof or at least have the decency of posting at Daily Kos or Huffington Post. Again - and it's just my view - this board deserves better.

Remember when Trump retweeted an image claiming 85% of whites are killed by blacks (when it's really 15%)? You know how that was debunked in the media, but Trump never disowned the tweet or apologized for it?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/23/donald-trump/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/

That's something racists do. Trump is a racist. Even if he personally doesn't give a crap, appealing to and encouraging supporters' racism is BEING RACIST.

We can talk about Steve Bannon, sherriff's stars, Pepe memes and the alt-right, too. I'd be curious as to your feelings regarding Trump's campaign ceo and chief policy advisor being a nationally-known alt-right (white supremacist) figurehead.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:47:03 AM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »

It should be an honor to be invited to play a Presidential Inaugural, regardless of who won the election. With all the controversial things Trump said in the campaign and the backlash I can understand why they have to think about it.

I took a look at the petition, too much political bullshit involved so I'm gonna pass. 

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

Its a shame that bands/artists are getting bullied over this by the media and political hacks. Just because an artist plays at a Presidential inauguration doesn't mean that they support and agree with everything the incoming President has ever said.

The inauguration should be about how our democracy works and the peaceful transfer of power. Something to be proud of regarding our nation's history. Should not be all about the party affiliation, personality or policy positions of the incoming President.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:03:41 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 09:51:12 AM »

Quick thought here. This is not a pro or anti Trump post. But freedom of speach post. I am not a moderater here but I think people should be able to voice their opinions (without insulting each other) even political if they wish. If you don't want to get political on this board just don't read these political topics.  There is so much good about this board, why would you leave this message board because of a few political posts that upset you? I would consider leaving if people WEREN'T alloud to bring up these contraversial topics from time to time. Even if I completely disagree! No one is forcing you to sign this petition. I'm not signing it but that doesn't mean they can't make one if they wish.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Great White Shank
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 10:05:21 AM »

People who toss around claims that someone - anyone - is a racist are nothing more than ignorant asses. You love to toss around claims like racist, sexist, homophobe and xenophobe at the drop of a hat simply because their political views don't happen to be yours. You don't know Donald Trump. You don't know his company's hiring practices. All you know is what you're spoon-fed by the liberal media and toss those accusations out. Give me one Donald Trump tweet that makes him a racist. Give me one Trump hiring practice that makes him a sexist. It wasn't Donald Trump's campaign who sat the father of the guy who shot up that Orlando nightclub filled with gays and lesbians. It wasn't Donald Trump who called half the U.S. population deplorables simply because they thought Trump was a better choice than a vile, corrupt, and incompetent elitist who couldn't even be bothered to make one campaign stop in Wisconsin. It's not It's folks like me who have a wrong-0headeed view of the world - it's you. Just because folks like me want to make sure American citizens get the jobs ahead of illegal immigrants, want to see our country's borders secured, and want to save this country from the suffocating impact of political correctness that has turned Europe into a hot-bed of Islamic radicalism and endangered all forms of free speech on our college campuses doesn't make us racists, sexists, hompphobes, and xenophobes. That's your opinion, perhaps, but it shows how ignorant you are and how incapable you are of even considering alternative views than yours.

The Beach Boys can o what they want, and if because they play an inauguration that makes you think lesser of them to the point where it effects the way you enjoy their music, that's your problem. And it would just how shallow and petty you are.
The Great White Shank
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »

correction to the above: it wasn't Donald Trump's campaign who sat the father of the guy who shot up that Orlando nightclub filled with gays and lesbians in the VIP section behind Hillary Clinton during a campaign rally.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »

Give me one Donald Trump tweet that makes him a racist.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »

People who toss around claims that someone - anyone - is a racist are nothing more than ignorant asses. You love to toss around claims like racist, sexist, homophobe and xenophobe at the drop of a hat simply because their political views don't happen to be yours. You don't know Donald Trump. You don't know his company's hiring practices. All you know is what you're spoon-fed by the liberal media and toss those accusations out. Give me one Donald Trump tweet that makes him a racist. Give me one Trump hiring practice that makes him a sexist. It wasn't Donald Trump's campaign who sat the father of the guy who shot up that Orlando nightclub filled with gays and lesbians. It wasn't Donald Trump who called half the U.S. population deplorables simply because they thought Trump was a better choice than a vile, corrupt, and incompetent elitist who couldn't even be bothered to make one campaign stop in Wisconsin. It's not It's folks like me who have a wrong-0headeed view of the world - it's you. Just because folks like me want to make sure American citizens get the jobs ahead of illegal immigrants, want to see our country's borders secured, and want to save this country from the suffocating impact of political correctness that has turned Europe into a hot-bed of Islamic radicalism and endangered all forms of free speech on our college campuses doesn't make us racists, sexists, hompphobes, and xenophobes. That's your opinion, perhaps, but it shows how ignorant you are and how incapable you are of even considering alternative views than yours.

The Beach Boys can o what they want, and if because they play an inauguration that makes you think lesser of them to the point where it effects the way you enjoy their music, that's your problem. And it would just how shallow and petty you are.
Lol. I'm happy to go evidence for Century Deprived's (or whomever you're ranting at - anyway claims that Trump is racist, sexist, etc.) claims against evidence for your claims claim-for-claim in the sandbox any day.  YOU are the one who is wrong on the facts.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:17:27 AM by Emily » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »

Just because folks like me want to make sure American citizens get the jobs ahead of illegal immigrants, want to see our country's borders secured, and want to save this country from the suffocating impact of political correctness that has turned Europe into a hot-bed of Islamic radicalism and endangered all forms of free speech on our college campuses doesn't make us racists, sexists, hompphobes, and xenophobes.

Forgive the cut and paste:

As far as border security goes, this would not be a problem if the United States had not enacted policies that viciously exploited Mexico. To me, the conversation of border security for Mexico amounts to telling Mexicans that they are forbidden from trying to disentangle themselves from being exploited. To me, there are ways to improve the order of the country without forcing people to submit to our exploitation and devastating economic policies.

As far as Islamic radicalism goes, remember that what has worked to radicalize Islam has not been political correctness. You have to remember that by 2002, most serious analysts concluded that "radical Islam" was in decline. Here's a very good article from Jason Burke illustrating this point of view in 2002:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/30/pakistan.islam

By the following year, this position was impossible to articulate. The attack on Iraq sparked a renewed interest in radical Islam. After the attacks in London, the Royal Institute of International Affairs concluded that the attack on Iraq gave a "'boost to the al-Qaida network' in 'propaganda, recruitment and fundraising'" --> http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/jul/18/uk.july7

I have noted this before but it bears repeating Glenn Greenwald's point that in “2004, Donald Rumsfeld directed the Defense Science Board Task Force” – a committee appointed by the Pentagon – “to review the impact which the administration’s policies – specifically the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan – were having on Terrorism and Islamic radicalism. They issued a report in September, 2004 and it vigorously condemned the Bush/Cheney approach as entirely counter-productive, i.e., as worsening the Terrorist threat those policies purportedly sought to reduce.” This should not have been a surprise given the various warnings from experts before the invasions that this was precisely the reaction that was going to happen as a result of the attacks. The findings of the 2004 report was an echo of other findings that have been reached throughout history. According to a National Security Council report from 1958, during a staff discussion, President Eisenhower asked why in the Middle East there was a "campaign of hatred against us, not by the government but by the people." After researching, the National Security Council reported back that it was because the United States typically supported tyrannical regimes in the region, blocked democratic movements, prevented development in attempts to gain control of their territory. After receiving the report, according to the NSC, the Eisenhower Administration confirmed that this perception was correct and that this strategy would continue.

And this follows a long history of the US supporting actions in the Middle East that had the effect of radicalization the area, not the least of which was Ronald Reagan's own support of Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq's radical Islamisation of Pakistan. This support of radicalizing policies have only continued with Obama's drone campaign which has had the effect of generating more terrorism. As Akbar Ahmed recently pointed out, "Every act of violence in these tribal societies provokes a counterattack: the harder the attacks on the tribesmen, the more vicious and bloody the counterattacks."

Anyone who is in a position to know understands quite well the reasons why radicalization has taken place and none have concluded it has anything to do with PC culture. That's simply a myth that has been circulated by right-wing extremists in an effort to deflect attention away from the real problems. But, yes, Trump and his supporters have been crucial contributors to this propaganda campaign that works to severely distort reality, of which your above quotation is a striking example.

And, by the way, it is not so much that free speech is being curtailed. Rather, there is less tolerance now for these kind of overt distortions and massive fabrications. When someone is no longer able to get away with outright lies, because someone else calls them out on it, that's now referred to as PC policing. It usually just amounts to someone essentially saying that "I should be able to say whatever false think I want to say without anybody being able to question it."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:37:23 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 05:22:36 AM »

Tom Cruise is nuts and believes in a religion I do not pretend to understand, but it is wildly different from what I believe in. I will also be one of the first in line to see his films because regardless of his personal beliefs (and maybe because of them), he excels in his profession, and I enjoy his movies.

What Trump believes does not have to affect what you believe. That is up to you as an intelligent, thinking adult. He says his goal as president is to "Make America Great Again." Making America great and having the greatest American band play at the inauguration seems like a good fit. 

Make America Great Again = Do It Again, so we will probably get yet another version of this song too. Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: