-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Petition beach boys NOT to play at Trumps inauguration
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Petition beach boys NOT to play at Trumps inauguration  (Read 12785 times)
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:27:02 PM »

Please support this petition I started. We must prevent the Beach Boys from playing Trumps inauguration.   https://www.change.org/p/the-beach-boys-touring-band-the-beach-boys-should-not-perform-at-trump-inauguration
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »

I don't think this'll make any impact or difference, but I'll sign it anyway as a sort-of symbolic gesture
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »

Same here

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »

Signed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »

I wrote..."I don't want Mike to tarnish THEIR name.  Any publicity isn't necessarily good publicity.  This is as close to the worst publicity the Beach Boys could get at this point in their storied history without actually having to do jail time.  But...make NO mistake about it...to play for trump would be a total crime."

I gave them my name and my e-mail address.  But no!!!  They want my actual address and postal code.  Shocked Well THAT ain't gonna happen.  Good gawd!!!  Roll Eyes I'm not a total idiot. LOL
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:07:45 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »

Odd...I didn't have to give all that information when I signed it...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »

I wrote..."I don't want Mike to tarnish THEIR name.  Any publicity isn't necessarily good publicity.  This is as close to the worst publicity the Beach Boys could get at this point in their storied history without actually having to do jail time.  But...make NO mistake about it...to play for trump would be a total crime."

I gave them my name and my e-mail address.  But no!!!  They want my actual address and postal code.  Shocked Well THAT ain't gonna happen.  Good gawd!!!  Roll Eyes I'm not a total idiot. LOL

I don't personally require that info.  The site is just being weird.  You can log in with Facebook, that might help.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »

Yup.

Might I also add... I quite dig your username Cool

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »

your heart is in the right place and I'm happy to sign, BUT...

you might want to check things like grammar and capitalization in order to be taken a bit more seriously. if we're gonna do this, let's do it right!

merry christmas  Smiley
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »

your heart is in the right place and I'm happy to sign, BUT...

you might want to check things like grammar and capitalization in order to be taken a bit more seriously. if we're gonna do this, let's do it right!

merry christmas  Smiley

I made some minor edits.  If you see anything else that needs to be changed please notify me. 
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »

cool. as Add Some pointed out, it should read THEIR name not THERE name.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »

I shared this on my BB Opinion Page Facebook page. Hopefully got it a few more eyes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Great White Shank
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 10:41:17 PM »

I know I'm going to be bashed for this but here goes.

I've enjoyed this board for a number of years. Been a fan of the group since The Beach Boys In Concert changed my life. Saw the group first at Boston Garden in 1975 and have seen them dozens of times until the Mike / Bruce band at Hampton Beach a few years ago. Since this board seems so much of a Mike vs. Brian thing I'll just say I don't take sides and simply say it's disappointing that they can't all ride out into the sunset on the same wave, but that's OK. You can't expect people who have known each other personally and professionally for more than 50 years to exist in some kind of time warp where everyone and everything stays the same. People change. Times change. As fans, all I can say is that we are blessed to love a band that has created so much joy and different music styles that you can go through phases where one kind of music touches you more than the others. Me? My favorite Beach Boys period runs from Pet Sounds through Holland. That being said...

It is disheartening to see this board go political and engage itself in the petty politics of whether or not the Beach Boys Band (I refuse to call them The Beach Boys) should or should not play at Donald Trump's inauguration. I get it that it seems the majority of folks here didn't vote for Trump. But back in my day, if someone had the honor of being invited to play an inauguration ball you did it out of respect for the office. Anyone can look at the election results and see that the country is divided. In my mind, any time the Beach Boys Band has the opportunity to share the joy of the Beach Boys music with a large audience can only be a good thing, and a way to - even in some small way - help heal the country. Brian's and Dennis' music was all about laying it out there. It's funny that a group so viscerally divided like the Beach Boys were could still be capable of generating songs of love and joy. What's wrong with sharing those same vibes with the American people?

I get it that a bunch of people on this board hate Donald Trump and the idea of his being president. Had Barack Obama asked the band to play at his inauguration I doubt you'd see the same kind of push back on this board that you're now seeing. In my view, it does this board a great disservice. It's not my place to say what people should or shouldn't post here, but if this board is going to become another vehicle for Trump-bashing you can count me out. And that's because my view it should exist for the music and for what the Beach Boys, collectively and individually, were as a force in American pop culture. If you want to destroy this board by turning it into a political forum, go for it, but I and those who think like me, won't be a part of it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »

That is a good way of looking at it, I have to grant you that. I got tired of the political talk so much that I just recently just returned from a self imposed hiatus. So yeah I can respect what you're saying.  I do feel very strongly but it's even more than Trump for me , it's his cabinet,  and Imho it'd not something the band should associate with.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »

I know I'm going to be bashed for this but here goes.

I've enjoyed this board for a number of years. Been a fan of the group since The Beach Boys In Concert changed my life. Saw the group first at Boston Garden in 1975 and have seen them dozens of times until the Mike / Bruce band at Hampton Beach a few years ago. Since this board seems so much of a Mike vs. Brian thing I'll just say I don't take sides and simply say it's disappointing that they can't all ride out into the sunset on the same wave, but that's OK. You can't expect people who have known each other personally and professionally for more than 50 years to exist in some kind of time warp where everyone and everything stays the same. People change. Times change. As fans, all I can say is that we are blessed to love a band that has created so much joy and different music styles that you can go through phases where one kind of music touches you more than the others. Me? My favorite Beach Boys period runs from Pet Sounds through Holland. That being said...

It is disheartening to see this board go political and engage itself in the petty politics of whether or not the Beach Boys Band (I refuse to call them The Beach Boys) should or should not play at Donald Trump's inauguration. I get it that it seems the majority of folks here didn't vote for Trump. But back in my day, if someone had the honor of being invited to play an inauguration ball you did it out of respect for the office. Anyone can look at the election results and see that the country is divided. In my mind, any time the Beach Boys Band has the opportunity to share the joy of the Beach Boys music with a large audience can only be a good thing, and a way to - even in some small way - help heal the country. Brian's and Dennis' music was all about laying it out there. It's funny that a group so viscerally divided like the Beach Boys were could still be capable of generating songs of love and joy. What's wrong with sharing those same vibes with the American people?

I get it that a bunch of people on this board hate Donald Trump and the idea of his being president. Had Barack Obama asked the band to play at his inauguration I doubt you'd see the same kind of push back on this board that you're now seeing. In my view, it does this board a great disservice. It's not my place to say what people should or shouldn't post here, but if this board is going to become another vehicle for Trump-bashing you can count me out. And that's because my view it should exist for the music and for what the Beach Boys, collectively and individually, were as a force in American pop culture. If you want to destroy this board by turning it into a political forum, go for it, but I and those who think like me, won't be a part of it.

the reason you wouldn't see the push back from fans if the band played Obama or anyone else besides Trump's inauguration is because Trump is a RACIST. he has nominated and appointed racists and white supremacists to his cabinet. he has made disgusting and insulting remarks about people based solely on their race and gender. he mocked a man with a disability for f*ck sake. it's not a political left/right issue with Trump, it's about human decency and not aligning oneself (or America's Band) with hateful and racist ideals
The Great White Shank
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »

Thank you. You just made my argument. You don't know Donald Trump personally. Neither do I. But to call someone a racist simply because of what you might have heard on NPR, CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post or New York Times or whatever does your cause (whatever it is) no justice and diminishes you. Maybe not to all those who might agree with you, but most certainly not for those who come here wanting to talk about the Beach Boys. Everything you stated is YOUR OPINION - you have no proof whatsoever. If you want to hurl serious charges like this you better have more proof or at least have the decency of posting at Daily Kos or Huffington Post. Again - and it's just my view - this board deserves better.
The Great White Shank
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 12:11:35 AM »

...and BTW I wont bother to make a point about irony of your icon with the "let's be friends" logo. I think this whole country could use a little more of that sentiment.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 01:16:11 AM »

...and BTW I wont bother to make a point about irony of your icon with the "let's be friends" logo. I think this whole country could use a little more of that sentiment.

If somebody is LGBT, and they are deeply offended and threatened by a VP who wants to strip their rights away and believes in conversion therapy, you think they should just "play nice" and sit back, and casually let their rights be trampled, allowing these backwards politicians to become normalized?  Dude, of course people are going to stand up against bigotry and not be "friendly" about it.

Where exactly is your empathy for folks like that?  Or do you take more of a "f*ggots can go f*ck themselves" approach? Because not only do many (certainly not all) Trump supporters take that approach, but the imbecile VP-elect encourages that type of mindset indirectly.

You cannot claim that there is no proof that Pence is a homophobic bigot.  There is plenty. And members of the incoming cabinet casually refer to lesbians as "dykes".  Are the radio show audio recordings of that enough proof for you? So yeah… There is plenty of absolutely disgusting, nausea – inducing bigotry in the cabinet which has been chosen by you know who. So there goes your argument, buddy boy, lest you want to keep pretending that the Trump/cabinet bigotry is simply a myth.

Mike's OK with the term "dykes"...  or at minimum, OK enough to not have it be any sort of dealbreaker.   No apparent problem for Mike to entrench the brand with powerful/ influential politicians who casually -  publicly on radio shows, not private bathroom talk conversations - call gay people "dykes".  Ignoring tons of other legitimate reasons… you don't see the issue with Mike not considering that example as being any sort of dealbreaker?  What would it take? What group of people and what potential epithet would you consider a dealbreaker for any association with the brand?  How about 25 instances of the "N" word by Trump on video? How about 50? 250? Would you not draw the line at any point?

Because Mike is a heterosexual male, and was never repeatedly called the "dyke" name, and bigotry/threats against homosexuality never apparently deeply affected his life in a profound way, he cannot empathize on any real level, because it seems he is just not particularly capable unless it's an unchangeable part of his own being that socially negatively affects him… Like perhaps less BJs from groupies compared to Denny because of his baldness -  that's something Mike could feel screwed over about (it may sound silly, but I'm not even kidding -  he was and probably remains more pissed about that then having any major issue over lesbians being referred to as "dykes"). What if Mike had several gay children who had been victims of hate crimes ? I wonder how he would feel about it then? Just be real for moment and imagine how you would feel if you were a member of the LGBT community, and what a slap in the face this administration would be.

But of course, what does Mike care about that? His gay fans are probably a very small percentage of his revenue stream, so they are completely unimportant to him.  The UN can go screw themselves and the dykes can go f*ck themselves, as long as the money's good! That's the Mike motto!  (The majority of that quote is, disturbingly, actual paraphrasing of Mike's own quotes, by the way).

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:03:02 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 01:25:38 AM »

I'd like to see that discussed more in the sandbox because my friend Melissa is personally affected by this and if rights are taxes away it could be bad. That's a valid concern but I'd rather do this elsewhere

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 03:24:26 AM »

This will be my only post in this thread as I already have said what is to say in one of the other threads and because there is no need for such a discussion because the truth is there to see and hear for everyone.

But to call someone a racist simply because of what you might have heard on NPR, CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post or New York Times or whatever does your cause (whatever it is) no justice and diminishes you.

I don't know bossaroo's sources but there is no question about his claim of Trump being a racist, a homophobic and misogynic. You can hear that in his (Trump's) speeches, tweets and actions. Not to see and realize that is a sign of being blinded by whatever it might be. As mentioned before, this is not a political discussion, it has nothing to do with democratic vs. republican side, nothing with Clinton/Obama against the republican candidate; this is about ethics, about humanity and quite frankly about human dignity. I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't understand this, because that indicates a very ignorant worldview.
It's sad to see what's happening in the USA, but we also have the same problems over here in Europe. The people seem to live in constant fear of the complexity of the world but don't even try to understand it. What is needed is a little (read: a lot) more reflexion instead of this outburst of gut feelings and primitive instincts. The human being has a mind and the ability to reflect himself and his natural, animalistc instincts and find solutions to solve problems and make sure that no one's dignity is touched or offended. To paraphrase Kierkegaard, we have to use our anxiety correctly so we can come to the point of self-awareness realizing our personal responsibility

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 04:46:27 AM »

I signed it but didn't share as I'm hoping this will all blow over without more people knowing it is even being considered.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 04:47:11 AM »

Great post rocker! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V47yTGdGCfA

Obama Fired January 20th.  Make America Great Again !!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 06:50:57 AM »

I love the Beach Boys for their music and harmonies. Never did I decide I liked them because of who they support politically. I find it asinine to think that we should push our political beliefs on others, or we will have negative feelings towards them. As grownups we should just accept that people have different opinions and respect their opinions as we would want our opinions respected.
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 07:40:11 AM »

Please remove me from this board ,ban me or tell this filthy deplorable how to get unregistered.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: