-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  This Board
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This Board  (Read 49597 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »

Edited to add after I saw the latest post: what's the pertinence?

I mean, if you have a point to make, make it. Don't make me guess what it is.

In return, don't play me or anyone else for a fool with that routine. If you read this board over the past year, you wouldn't need to guess anything because you were posting in some of the threads where all of this crap went down, and know exactly who was involved.
Good grief. This is ridiculous. I didn't understand all the "some people" "that's a good place to start" posts then and I don't now. It seems there's an implication that there's some big picture that I'm supposed to be seeing but all I see is a bunch of people squabbling about nonsense and petty grievances. If you were clear about what "crap" you're talking about perhaps I'd more quickly guess who you're talking about. Because you didn't identify the crap but just listed a bunch of some peoples did something to some other peoples and in a discussion about rab being annoyed by political posting, I was trying to think of some peoples who had done some things in relation to that topic. But you're talking about that old topic and there's no tie. Believe it or not, some people don't play some people games and kind of tune it out when others do. So, no, I don't follow those posts well and I don't invest time in understanding the big picture of Beach Boys fan squabbles.
Good night.

Consider investing the time to see the bigger picture before making some of your posts and comments about grudges and the like. Know the players before you enter the game.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »

Or ignore the players and skip the game, because it's not a game. Or a mystery, or a conspiracy, or a crime drama. It's a message board. For f***'s sake. It doesn't always have to relate to some stupid coup attempts or whatever you're always talking about.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2016, 07:43:55 AM »

Or ignore the players and skip the game, because it's not a game. Or a mystery, or a conspiracy, or a crime drama. It's a message board. For f***'s sake. It doesn't always have to relate to some stupid coup attempts or whatever you're always talking about.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »

No, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you go on your "check the facts, the truth will come out, there were those trying behind the scenes to do what-the-f***-ever" nonsense. Or not nonsense, maybe there is some underground resistance force with unbelievably stupid motivations and too much time on their hands trying to overthrow the message board leadership and undermine its good name. If so, I don't care because that's really stupid. And so is talking about it all the time. And so is banning a general topic in a subforum of a message board because somebody feels the need to post about it elsewhere in controversial ways.

Just say what you mean. Just do what you're going to do with the board. But cut the melodramatic bullshit.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »

Funny that you're constantly telling people to ignore what they don't like, yet I've seen you on a plethora of occasions complain about the supposed repetitive nature of this board and the boredom of the actions of some posters. You admit you think 3/4ths of the members of this board are "idiots" yet you continue to post and complain here where, according to your own observances, it shouldn't be surprising that idiocy supposedly runs rampant. And still you don't take your own advice and ignore what bothers you.

Btw, Billy. I thought the reason why the Professor was banned was because he was talking down about the members of this board and their intelligence. Captain here calls 75% of the board "idiots" and nothing happens? Not that I think he should be banned - on the contrary the irony should be on full display for all to see, just curious about this discrepancy.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2016, 08:03:47 AM »

No, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you go on your "check the facts, the truth will come out, there were those trying behind the scenes to do what-the-f***-ever" nonsense. Or not nonsense, maybe there is some underground resistance force with unbelievably stupid motivations and too much time on their hands trying to overthrow the message board leadership and undermine its good name. If so, I don't care because that's really stupid. And so is talking about it all the time. And so is banning a general topic in a subforum of a message board because somebody feels the need to post about it elsewhere in controversial ways.

Just say what you mean. Just do what you're going to do with the board. But cut the melodramatic bullshit.

I've said what I mean repeatedly. Why not cut your own brand of bullshit and stop the "I don't care" line? If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep posting here about all your issues and complaints with this place and the people who post who you judge as idiots or whatever term you prefer. If your opinions of this place and the people here who you complain about are so negative, why bother?

What I'm going to do with the board? Nice try - get your facts straight and try a new tactic that hasn't already failed repeatedly in terms of trying to put the screws to me. The line forms over there if you want to take a number and wait your turn to convince everyone how I should be replaced or step down. You'll be in good company with people who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the ass.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2016, 08:06:02 AM »

I enjoy posting with some people, so I post here. Same as elsewhere, where I also enjoy a few, can't stand a few, and am ambivalent about most. I'm sorry you're so annoyed by me; I don't recall directing any particular animus your way, certainly not before this thread, when I found out I'm apparently not welcome in some circles. It got harder to like you when you once I was targeted. But otherwise I've got nothing against you, and so again, am really sorry you're so annoyed or offended by, or angry toward, me.

If my posting has warranted a ban, I'll accept that. It's fine.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »

Just curious, is this not calling the President Elect by his name thing just to try to lighten things up, or will this be permanent?

Calling politicians and presidents various snarky nicknames is not a new thing, and nicknames are less inflammatory than most of the other negative stuff said about all of them.

DonaldTrump more than any other politician knows how to say awful stuff about other politicians and people in general, and is even a master at using smart-ass nicknames for presidential candidates:

http://www.amny.com/news/elections/donald-Voldermort-s-nicknames-crazy-bernie-lyin-ted-crooked-hillary-more-1.11788615

I would think DonaldTrump supporters more than anyone else would be used to snarky nicknames and name-calling considering the guy is a virtuoso with that particular craft.

So yeah, I would say you'd better get used to a lot of nicknames and ways to avoid saying DonaldTrump's name, however justified or unjustified such a practice is. Every other supporter of every other president throughout history has had to put up with it.

If you want to weigh the opinions accordingly of people who use such nicknames, that's certainly your choice. The guy said "Crooked Hillary" instead of just calling her Secretary or Senator about a trillion times and I weighed his opinion accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:12:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »

What I'm going to do with the board? Nice try - get your facts straight and try a new tactic that hasn't already failed repeatedly in terms of trying to put the screws to me. The line forms over there if you want to take a number and wait your turn to convince everyone how I should be replaced or step down. You'll be in good company with people who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the ass.
No idea what you're talking about, but I have no intention of "getting my facts straight" because (while you don't want me to say so) I don't care about that. I am not trying to do anything to you. I don't mind if you're an admin. Or Billy. I've never openly or secretly campaigned for or against any admin, as far as I can recall, and I'm not about to begin now.

My comment about doing what you're going to do with the board was specifically regarding the topic of this thread, where I think I've seen mixed messages from the two mods (Billy saying things would stay more or less as-is, where politics could be discussed in the Sandbox but not other forums, while you were agreeing it should be banned). That's it. I was asking for clarity on that topic.

As for why I post here, my previous post explained that.

edit: I really don't intend to be inflammatory on this or any other subject. I'd rather the board just hum along in relative peace. The drama is nothing I want to see, read, participate in, or inflame. So at this point, let me just bow out of the thread. I've made my point on the topic and hand and unfortunately, I guess, a handful of others. Whatever, if any, actions are taken with respect to the board's rules, format, or whatever, that's fine. I won't respond to any add'l replies to me in this thread, for reasons made clear in the previous few sentences.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:12:27 AM by the captain » Logged

KDS
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »

Just curious, is this not calling the President Elect by his name thing just to try to lighten things up, or will this be permanent?

Calling politicians and presidents various snarky nicknames is not a new thing, and nicknames are less inflammatory than most of the other negative stuff said about all of them.

Donald Voldermort more than any other politician knows how to say awful stuff about other politicians and people in general, and is even a master at using smart-ass nicknames for presidential candidates:

http://www.amny.com/news/elections/donald-Voldermort-s-nicknames-crazy-bernie-lyin-ted-crooked-hillary-more-1.11788615

I would think Voldermort supporters more than anyone else would be used to snarky nicknames and name-calling considering Voldermort is a virtuoso with that particular craft.

So yeah, I would say you'd better get used to a lot of nicknames and ways to avoid saying Voldermort's name, however justified or unjustified such a practice is. Every other supporter of every other president throughout history had had to put up with it.

If you want to weigh the opinions accordingly of people who use such nicknames, that's certainly your choice. Voldermort said "Crooked Hillary" instead of just calling her Secretary or Senator about a trillion times and I weighed his opinion accordingly.

I know about snarky nicknames.  Heck, we kinda look the term deplorables and ran with it.  

I just found it odd that his name was replaced all across the entire forum.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »

Donald Voldermort more than any other politician knows how to say awful stuff about other politicians and people in general, and is even a master at using smart-ass nicknames for presidential candidates:

I would think Voldermort supporters more than anyone else would be used to snarky nicknames and name-calling considering Voldermort is a virtuoso with that particular craft.

So yeah, I would say you'd better get used to a lot of nicknames and ways to avoid saying Voldermort's name, however justified or unjustified such a practice is. Every other supporter of every other president throughout history had had to put up with it.

If you want to weigh the opinions accordingly of people who use such nicknames, that's certainly your choice. Voldermort said "Crooked Hillary" instead of just calling her Secretary or Senator about a trillion times and I weighed his opinion accordingly.

I know about snarky nicknames.  Heck, we kinda look the term deplorables and ran with it.  

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the Voldemort thing. I think the guy is far worse than Voldemort, but I've never particularly been a fan of having what I type altered without my knowing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the Voldemort thing. I think the guy is far worse than Voldemort, but I've never particularly been a fan of having what I type altered without my knowing.

I think it was done as a comic way of showing how that little five letter name can be such an easy trigger. 

As for the fictional Voldemort, I can't say I'm familiar with his work. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2016, 08:22:25 AM »

I enjoy posting with some people, so I post here. Same as elsewhere, where I also enjoy a few, can't stand a few, and am ambivalent about most. I'm sorry you're so annoyed by me; I don't recall directing any particular animus your way, certainly not before this thread, when I found out I'm apparently not welcome in some circles. It got harder to like you when you once I was targeted. But otherwise I've got nothing against you, and so again, am really sorry you're so annoyed or offended by, or angry toward, me.

If my posting has warranted a ban, I'll accept that. It's fine.

I'm annoyed that I write, what I consider, a logical opinion about political talk on this forum and I'm accused by you of having "precious sensitivities"
I'm annoyed that those of us annoyed by seeing Trumgp's name here have "sensitive little eyes and minds" according to you.
I'm annoyed that you think 3/4ths of this board are "idiots" and I guess somehow calling yourself a dick justifies the tactless nature of such comments.

I'd hope you could see why this thread sparked a bit of annoyance in me.

Oh, and I'm annoyed that Emily still hasn't answered my question:

Rab has flounced around before about other people not talking about things the way rab likes and he/she will again. Humoring this BS, saying, yes, poster, you get to control what other people say, is a mistake.

Could you please detail what you mean in this first sentence here?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:23:59 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2016, 09:24:56 AM »

Just to lighten things up. I may change it up periodically too. Not permanent.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »

I think it was done as a comic way of showing how that little five letter name can be such an easy trigger. 

It was.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »

It was.

That's what I thought. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »

edit: I really don't intend to be inflammatory on this or any other subject. I'd rather the board just hum along in relative peace. The drama is nothing I want to see, read, participate in, or inflame. So at this point, let me just bow out of the thread. I've made my point on the topic and hand and unfortunately, I guess, a handful of others. Whatever, if any, actions are taken with respect to the board's rules, format, or whatever, that's fine. I won't respond to any add'l replies to me in this thread, for reasons made clear in the previous few sentences.

I know, and I've seen you post on other forum on how you thought the fighting was pointless.

Nobody in this thread is getting banned. The difference between this thread and the professor thing is that we are all clearing the air here, and there's a lot of pent-up frustration. Professor contributed nothing to the board except being condescending; even then, it was only going to be temporary until somehow he got unbanned without me or GF doing it. Has happened in a few other cases, and I am 95% sure of who is doing it. In this case Captain if GF seems paranoid, there's a very valid reason for it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »

I know about snarky nicknames.  Heck, we kinda look the term deplorables and ran with it. 

I meant no harm with it...I just thought taking someone for whom the very mention of his name can start arguments with "He Who Must Not Be Named" was funny

KDS
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »

I know about snarky nicknames.  Heck, we kinda look the term deplorables and ran with it. 

I meant no harm with it...I just thought taking someone for whom the very mention of his name can start arguments with "He Who Must Not Be Named" was funny

Oooooooooooohhhh.  Now, I see. 

Not being a Pot(ter) Head, I didn't pick up on that. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

I took the idea from a wrestling blog I go to, where "Chris Benoit" has been filtered to "Voldemort" since 2007. I didn't get the joke until I actually saw the Harry Potter movies a couple of years ago (yes, I'm late)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »

I took the idea from a wrestling blog I go to, where "Chris Benoit" has been filtered to "Voldemort" since 2007. I didn't get the joke until I actually saw the Harry Potter movies a couple of years ago (yes, I'm late)

You're earlier than me. I don't plan to see them, period.

We took a trip on an old steam train in Scotland last year. Apparently it passed through an area where they filmed Harry Potter stuff. At one point there was an announcement: "Soon we will be passing an island that was Dumbledore's last resting place!" Fair play. Fabulous scenery though...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »

We took a trip on an old steam train in Scotland last year. Apparently it passed through an area where they filmed Harry Potter stuff. At one point there was an announcement: "Soon we will be passing an island that was Dumbledore's last resting place!" Fair play. Fabulous scenery though...

I'm with you there.  No interest at all. 
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »

Wow, this thread has surely gone places, several of them.
However, nobody should be banned, nor even get a warning, for what happened here. Consistent trolling is one thing; sincere heated debate is altogether different, even when it degenerates into occasional name calling.
I think it's good for the board to have such a free-for-all now and then. Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2016, 10:59:46 AM »

Wow, this thread has surely gone places, several of them.
However, nobody should be banned, nor even get a warning, for what happened here. Consistent trolling is one thing; sincere heated debate is altogether different, even when it degenerates into occasional name calling.
I think it's good for the board to have such a free-for-all now and then. Smiley

+1

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »

I have no great love for the franchise, but imho the "Prisoner of Azkaban" movie is a masterpiece, thanks to the director, the great Alfonso Cuaron, and the supporting actors: Alan Rickman ( Cry ) as Severus Snape, Gary Oldman as Sirius Black, and David Thewlis as Remus Lupin are unforgettable. I'd even say "Azkaban" is my fav fantasy movie ever.

Of course, J. K. Rowling HAD to unceremoniously kill off all three of them in the subsequent stories... Angry
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:15:41 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: