-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:18:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  This Board
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This Board  (Read 49613 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »

the meantime, if the mods here ban political discussion, I'll come around when there's some unusual Beach Boys event, but the off-topic talk is why most people who are regularly here are regularly here.  It's in the sandbox and no one has to read it if they don't want.

I'm not banning political discussion...just moving it here on the Sandbox where it belongs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »

rab2591, I will explain my own personal interest in continuing to post about non-BBs topics in a BBs forum. You can accept or reject it. I think I've said something similar in one of the other purported board meltdowns whose hysteria got ahead of its reality. But it was probably along these lines.

Basically, my interests are relatively wide. Beach Boys, yeah. Pop music in general, for sure. Jazz and "classical," yep. Cooking and eating. Gardening, a little. Books. Politics. Religion. But the thing is, I don't feel like joining 5-10 message boards. It's tedious. I came to BBs boards maybe 15 years ago and have come to know a handful of people here (or there). We have some shared experience in terms of our love of a band or two. That's great. But we all have diverse interests, and some of those, we have in common. So why not chat about those things in the nether regions of this board? Must we have different boards for every topic? Must the mods delete everything that gets out of bounds? Must people be banned over it? Is there actually any harm in contained off-topic discussions that are by no means mandatory or even intrusive? (I'm not saying the political threads in the BBs forum weren't intrusive: they were. But they weren't my doing, or Emily's, or CSM's, or FdP's, or Sinister Smile's, or TRBB's, or Bean Bag's, or KDS's, etc.)

If most people think it's so horrible that some of us talk about other things in their rightful places, so be it. I hope everyone can enjoy re-re-re-re-re-re-re-ranking the songs on each album, or considering whether maybe the newest interview about Brian's forthcoming rock 'n' roll album offers insights heretofore unknown, or how awesome it was that "Your Imagination" was played in the grocery store when someone was looking at parsley.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2016, 03:42:23 PM »

I'm not banning political discussion...just moving it here on the Sandbox where it belongs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2016, 03:45:03 PM »

One more time! 
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:45:52 PM by Emily » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2016, 03:55:45 PM »

Yeah, I had to re-iterate, because I don't want people to think their voices are going be silenced, and that they're going to be banned if they post something political. Not going to happen, not on my watch. I just want to make sure that a discussion on why Pet Sounds is the best album of 1966 doesn't degenerate into a discussion on why Paul Ryan is more dangerous than Pence or CheetohHead himself.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »

rab2591, I will explain my own personal interest in continuing to post about non-BBs topics in a BBs forum. You can accept or reject it. I think I've said something similar in one of the other purported board meltdowns whose hysteria got ahead of its reality. But it was probably along these lines.

Basically, my interests are relatively wide. Beach Boys, yeah. Pop music in general, for sure. Jazz and "classical," yep. Cooking and eating. Gardening, a little. Books. Politics. Religion. But the thing is, I don't feel like joining 5-10 message boards. It's tedious. I came to BBs boards maybe 15 years ago and have come to know a handful of people here (or there). We have some shared experience in terms of our love of a band or two. That's great. But we all have diverse interests, and some of those, we have in common. So why not chat about those things in the nether regions of this board? Must we have different boards for every topic? Must the mods delete everything that gets out of bounds? Must people be banned over it? Is there actually any harm in contained off-topic discussions that are by no means mandatory or even intrusive? (I'm not saying the political threads in the BBs forum weren't intrusive: they were. But they weren't my doing, or Emily's, or CSM's, or FdP's, or Sinister Smile's, or TRBB's, or Bean Bag's, or KDS's, etc.)

If most people think it's so horrible that some of us talk about other things in their rightful places, so be it. I hope everyone can enjoy re-re-re-re-re-re-re-ranking the songs on each album, or considering whether maybe the newest interview about Brian's forthcoming rock 'n' roll album offers insights heretofore unknown, or how awesome it was that "Your Imagination" was played in the grocery store when someone was looking at parsley.

That's half of my issue right there, Captain. Your last paragraph. You seem to look down on the fans here who want to discuss THE BAND (or you look down on the posts made by these fans, either way...). So what if they re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rank the songs on the albums? So what if someone was gleeful that 'Your Imagination' came on in the grocery store? They enjoy it and it's on topic because this is a forum specifically for discussion relating to THE BEACH BOYS. Just because you find it repetitive after two decades (and for some odd reason you don't feel like joining another messageboard where your recent political posts would actually be on topic) doesn't mean others should have to sift through the monotony of these off-topic political posts that deal with very divisive subjects. And by sift I mean looking at 6 or more topic headers that deal with politics or Trump on the home-page.

Anywho, obviously Billy is keeping things the way they've been. Just wanted to share my viewpoint on the matter.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »

That's just it: however repetitive I find it, I realize my personal preferences don't matter. Of course the dialogue won't start and end with me. Of course other people's arcs aren't the same as mine. I don't expect that, and I don't begrudge them their experiences. But I'm one of many, many people who post a lot in non-BBs forums on this board, whether non-BBs music, Smiley Smilers Who Make Music, Sandbox, or whatever else. So why single out the (divisive) political topics? I'd guess most people here post non-BBs content. Why ghettoize the political stuff? Why talk about banning the political stuff? You could just as well ban palindromes or movies or country music discussion.

Your (apparent) discomfort with political discussion is irrelevant, just like my boredom with other topics is irrelevant. None of us individually matters in the slightest. We're not important. So why not let each of us go on his or her merry way, posting about whatever, as long as it doesn't disrupt the board? And I just don't think Sandbox political posts disrupt the board unless someone wants to take what's there and drag it elsewhere. And it's not on me if other people aren't capable of separating topics, or can't discuss Mike Love without discussing Donald Trump.

But don't conflate my arrogance with anything political, either. I'm an asshole regardless. I'm going to look down on people's posting regardless of whether it's about rating songs or talking Trump. That's just me. I'm a dick. Don't penalize people nicer than me for wanting to talk non-BBs just because I think 3/4 of the people here are idiots.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »

That's just it: however repetitive I find it, I realize my personal preferences don't matter. Of course the dialogue won't start and end with me. Of course other people's arcs aren't the same as mine. I don't expect that, and I don't begrudge them their experiences. But I'm one of many, many people who post a lot in non-BBs forums on this board, whether non-BBs music, Smiley Smilers Who Make Music, Sandbox, or whatever else. So why single out the (divisive) political topics? I'd guess most people here post non-BBs content. Why ghettoize the political stuff? Why talk about banning the political stuff? You could just as well ban palindromes or movies or country music discussion.

Your (apparent) discomfort with political discussion is irrelevant, just like my boredom with other topics is irrelevant. None of us individually matters in the slightest. We're not important. So why not let each of us go on his or her merry way, posting about whatever, as long as it doesn't disrupt the board? And I just don't think Sandbox political posts disrupt the board unless someone wants to take what's there and drag it elsewhere. And it's not on me if other people aren't capable of separating topics, or can't discuss Mike Love without discussing Donald Trump.

But don't conflate my arrogance with anything political, either. I'm an asshole regardless. I'm going to look down on people's posting regardless of whether it's about rating songs or talking Trump. That's just me. I'm a dick. Don't penalize people nicer than me for wanting to talk non-BBs just because I think 3/4 of the people here are idiots.

This has nothing to do with you being a dick or not. This has to do with a topic so divisive it got one person banned after ONE supportive post and another came out and told someone to "f*** off" or somesuch because of that post (another thing was said and soon after redacted). Again, I don't disagree with what was said or done in that instance, and I know that incident didn't take place in the sandbox. My point is that the topic is insanely divisive to the point of terrible things being said by both sides. As I've said prior, one respected poster quietly left because he was sick of seeing Trump's name here. This poster actually contributed to on-topic discussion and decided to leave because of the influx of these divisive off-topic posts. Even though the discussions in the sandbox regarding this are mostly civil, it does annoy people to see the topic being discussed at all. If that's the type of board the mods want here, then so be it.

One should easily see the difference between posting in support of or against Johnny Cash and his music over posting in support or against Donald J Trump and his policies. Again, Billy has obviously made up his mind about this topic; you and Emily and others will get to continue discussing Donald J Trump. The rest of us annoyed by seeing it clog up the homepage will attempt to ignore it. Case closed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:34:19 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »

Can I please point out that I myself was so disgusted by the constant political talk that I stayed off the board for about a month?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »

Can I please point out that I myself was so disgusted by the constant political talk that I stayed off the board for about a month?

I took a small hiatus for the same reason. This is one place where I don't want politics involved - especially these days. This music is most definitely a safe haven from the nasty garbage that pervades our lives (be it politics or just day-to-day irritations).

I suppose one could call me a hypocrite for being vocally opposed to Mike possibly using his little band he calls the Beach Boys for the inauguration - but again, I oppose it because I don't want politics interfering with the music I love so much. I don't want people turned off of this great music because of political interference. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »

For f***'s sake, we're (or at least I'm) talking about posts mostly in a single thread in a single subforum: if it hurts everyone's sensitive little eyes and minds, I'm not sure what to say beyond what I've said before. I hope nobody offends your precious sensibilities in real life.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »

For f***'s sake, we're (or at least I'm) talking about posts mostly in a single thread in a single subforum: if it hurts everyone's sensitive little eyes and minds, I'm not sure what to say beyond what I've said before. I hope nobody offends your precious sensibilities in real life.

I was responding to Billy, as obviously he was sick enough of the political bullshit to leave a forum he moderates for a fucking month (as he doesn't have the luxury of ignoring the Sandbox full-time because he has to moderate the place). I'm sorry my precious sensitivities are bothering your precious sensitivities. As I said, case closed...Billy is allowing the discussion of Donald J Trump in what he considers the proper sub-forum to do so in. If you don't like my opinions on this subject, take your own advice and ignore them.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »

I was responding to Billy, as obviously he was sick enough of the political bullshit to leave a forum he moderates for a fucking month (as he doesn't have the luxury of ignoring the Sandbox full-time because he has to moderate the place). I'm sorry my precious sensitivities are bothering your precious sensitivities. As I said, case closed...Billy is allowing the discussion of Donald J Trump in what he considers the proper sub-forum to do so in. If you don't like my opinions on this subject, take your own advice and ignore them.
I don't mind your opinion. You posted it before in another thread and I ignored it. It's your trying to make your opinion the rules of the board that drew me to this topic.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »

Stating my own opinion, I agree with what Messrs. Rab and Starrfruit have been expressing. I think in the past month or so, there have been more than a few instances of political squabbles getting into discussions about the music and music-related topics which in some cases had negative consequences.

I agree that I also do not come here to see what has been going on and am excited to see new post after new post about Trump or politics in general. I come here at this point in my life to avoid that back-and-forth, unless (and this is a big unless) it relates to the music or the band. As we've seen this week, agree with it or not, the band has been taking a lot of hits in the forum of public opinion over Mike's decision to play or not play this Jan 20th gig. It saddens me to see the band legacy being thrown into the mud like this, again whether the reasons why it's happening are agreed with or not. It's happening, and that really disturbs me...considering it could have been handled with more tact and class to avoid all of this mess.

So yeah, I also got fed up checking in here at times and seeing politics this and politics that...it felt like overkill. That's just my 2 cents.

In terms of it having a negative consequence, let me remind everyone of one name: Stephen Desper. What happened with him was shameful and it should never have happened. Again just my two cents, but he was basically ganged up on and started to be challenged to the point of referencing his post history all over the politics some tried to ascribe to his post about Trump's traveling sound system and how he related it to how he used to travel with the Beach Boys under a similar setup.

The man pressed record on songs like Til I Die and Forever. He created the drum sound on Do It Again. He was *there* and took his time out to post here, dialogue with fans, and answer questions.

Was it worth it to create a situation where he felt like bailing out, over politics? I say no, and I hope he returns soon because his posts were a major reason why I look forward to checking new posts when I can during the day. With his posts, I learn - with politics, I don't give two shits anymore and ignore it.

Is it a surprise all that happened considering on-topic discussions from California Girls to Pet Sounds have veered off into political discussions in recent weeks and months? It's just too much sometimes to have the smallest perception of a "wrong" turn into another political sidebar, which overtakes the thread itself. At some point isn't it more enlightening and more enjoyable just to focus on the music and not find things to point out as offensive then start arguing about it? Again, that's just me.

But I do agree that some of the incessant political back-and-forths have gotten to be a little too much, and I'd hate to see "Trump" come up in topic after topic for the foreseeable future, unless there is something relative to the music.

And stating again, for all the aversion and opinions against "censorship" here, where was it when those individuals and interests were actively campaigning to really censor this board relative to the actual main topic of this place? I don't recall as much of this pushback on that censorship, but I'm damned happy they failed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

This thread has contained suggestions as to rule changes of the board. It isn't just people sharing opinions on assorted topics. If it were, I wouldn't care or post, as is the case with almost every thread on the board. But because there was talk that included suggesting the banning of some of the only things on the board I enjoy, I found it relevant to post my thoughts (to hopefully influence the outcome).

(And for the record, I was writing the post in question before Billy's last post. It was in response to your post that responded directly to me. The one about me being a dick. But now having read them all, who among us hasn't taken a hiatus from the board? Everyone gets sick of it now and again and takes a break. Whether Billy bailing, you bailing, or me bailing, it's just normal.)

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »

In terms of it having a negative consequence, let me remind everyone of one name: Stephen Desper. What happened with him was shameful and it should never have happened. Again just my two cents, but he was basically ganged up on and started to be challenged to the point of referencing his post history all over the politics some tried to ascribe to his post about Trump's traveling sound system and how he related it to how he used to travel with the Beach Boys under a similar setup.

The man pressed record on songs like Til I Die and Forever. He created the drum sound on Do It Again. He was *there* and took his time out to post here, dialogue with fans, and answer questions.

Was it worth it to create a situation where he felt like bailing out, over politics? I say no, and I hope he returns soon because his posts were a major reason why I look forward to checking new posts when I can during the day. With his posts, I learn - with politics, I don't give two shits anymore and ignore it.

Agreed. That whole thing was disgraceful and a shame.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »

I agree that the Desper thing was wrong and I said so in that thread. As the captain pointed out, none of the regular political sandbox posters initiated any of the on-topic Trump related threads nor participated in any of the dramatic events contained there-in. The drama in those threads is not related to the sandbox threads other than subject matter. Why a sandbox thread that has been really quite peaceful has been dragged into a discussion of on-topic drama, I don't know.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »

As the captain pointed out, none of the regular political sandbox posters initiated any of the on-topic Trump related threads nor participated in any of the dramatic events contained there-in.

Which is yet another reason to keep the discussion in this particular sub forum!

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »

As the captain pointed out, none of the regular political sandbox posters initiated any of the on-topic Trump related threads nor participated in any of the dramatic events contained there-in.

Which is yet another reason to keep the discussion in this particular sub forum!
Agreed. I'm fine with that. There were 400 posts in the two main forum inauguration threads. More than twice the number in the sandbox thread. And the sandbox thread has been much less emotional. I just think the sandbox thread is being conflated and then blamed. Kind of like the American left with the Soviet Union!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »

When the atmosphere surrounding even on-topic posts like those about Pet Sounds and California Girls starts veering off into political issues, it could very well create an implied vibe where that kind of thing becomes the norm, which could have been the case with Desper and how he got the screws put to him over what people thought he was saying and took as political commentary or endorsement. If the atmosphere isn't there to begin with, if it didn't feel at times like more than half of the new posts on the homepage list were about Trump or politics, maybe that would not have happened as it did.

Just as a reminder, this board had the two main subjects on this card/photo posting here and interacting at various times. A genius musician and a genius engineer, both here and interacting with fans.

Consider if putting the political and/or petty personal sh*t into certain areas here was worth it if they both bid adieu.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »

At the end of the day, the most important question is this: how do we move on from here? I myself do not want this to be the norm.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »

I don't know. It's your call but I think people should be called out for their behavior, not the subject matter. I can talk politics all day and not attack Stephen Desper for his post or say "f you" to the professor. I've been sarcastic, to be sure, and if you want to call me on it when I am, that's your call, too. But I don't see how posts by person y in the sandbox are responsible for an attack by person x in the main forum. I personally have never mentioned Trump or the election in the main forum as far as I remember, except in subject-specific threads started by others. To say that the captain and I and CSM and whomever wants to join can't have a conversation in the sandbox because other people were rude in a thread with shared subject matter in the main forum doesn't seem right to me.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »

At the end of the day, the most important question is this: how do we move on from here? I myself do not want this to be the norm.
I guess you ban politics altogether, you ban politics in the main forum, or you address people's behavior.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:50:53 PM by Emily » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »

3rd option is a given, 2nd one is a possibility depending on the former.

I'm also changing the name of this topic because quite frankly seeing a thread with "death spiral" in it is not sitting right with me when I see it nestled between the Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds memorial threads.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »

Let me give you an example: when CD and I were having an irritated throw down in the election thread a "break it up" from a mod would've seemed suitable. When someone is insulting Stephen Desper, a "that's out of line" from a mod would've been suitable. When rab goes on an emotional spiel in a topical thread about thinking other people shouldn't talk about what they talk about, a "settle down" would be appropriate. When I needle him about it, a "that's not necessary" might be effective.
Then, if people persist repeatedly after being told to cut it out, a suspension might be called for.
It's not the subject, it's the behavior.

I agree about the thread name.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: