-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  This Board
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This Board  (Read 49593 times)
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 11:22:03 AM »

I was forgetting about "soft-spoken intellectuals"... make fun of me all you want, but I still think many posters, both here and in the PSF, can be called that. And I know that "intellectual" is usually considered an insult nowadays, becoming probably heinous if coupled with "soft-spoken", but I mean it as a compliment.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:22:45 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »

Thank you for the kind words. I actually think the board is in better shape than it has in a long time; it just seems like things are bad because there's very little to talk about these days, and things like the political talk end up dominating the board. Over on the other forum there's very little activity as well, so it's not just here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »

Not neutral at all, thorgil: I'm unabashedly on my side. As for soft-spoken and intellectual, I consider both to be great compliments.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »

I was forgetting about "soft-spoken intellectuals"... make fun of me all you want, but I still think many posters, both here and in the PSF, can be called that. And I know that "intellectual" is usually considered an insult nowadays, becoming probably heinous if coupled with "soft-spoken", but I mean it as a compliment. 

I definitely consider being intellectual as a compliment...not sure how and why it got turned into an insult these days!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 12:08:08 PM »

I definitely consider being intellectual as a compliment...not sure how and why it got turned into an insult these days!

I don't think it did. It was the captain's turn of phrase that cracked me up, is all.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »

Nah, there have been people who have used it as an insult previously...never understood that one!

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »

Which is ironic since as far as I know the main moderators over at PSF are left leaning, particularly Bubbly

Yeah, true..maybe Andersson too but I'm a bit confused at this point who everyone is but certainly the more vocal right leaning posters seem to be all there now.

Andersson is a crazy conspiracy theorist.  He once tried to convince me that the Newtown shooting was a hoax.

Who says conspiracy theorists can lean only to the right?  LOL

Those kind of conspiracy theories tend to come from the Alex Jones crowd.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »

This guy?
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/trump-ally-alex-jones-wonders-if-carrie-fisher-was-murdered/

SMH what a complete tool.

Jones, who said that he was only speculating, compared Fisher’s passing to the death of Joan Rivers, whom Jones believes was murdered by the Obama administration for revealing that First Lady Michelle Obama “is a tranny.”
  Angry
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:55:24 PM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »

There is a fine line between "conspiracy theorist", and " total and complete lunatic who needs to be locked in a padded room".  Grin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:28:31 PM by Ringo Starrfruit » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 01:31:27 PM »

Yeah, that guy didn't just cross the line, he took his pants off and teabagged it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »

Yeah, that guy didn't just cross the line, he took his pants off and teabagged it.

LOL

I think a possible problem with intellectual is when it's used in combination with frigid, lol. Who was it who said that? Just came to me----Suzy Creamcheese on Uncle Meat in a bizarre conversation with Frank Zappa: "I was your frigid intellectual housekeeper." Grin     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »

I'm gonna do a song called Frigid Intellectual Housecat. LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE&feature=youtu.be

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »

This forum isn't in a death spiral because a few posters who rarely if ever posted anything substantial for 4+ years (if ever) decide to bail out. That's as ridiculous as the other failed attempts and "campaigns" that have tried to throw dirt on this place and the people who are members here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »

I gotta say...I'm really not comfortable with seeing this thread'ss title right next to the Carrie Fisher thread at all, to the point where I'm considering changing the topic name or bumping another thread to at least separate the two.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »

I gotta say...I'm really not comfortable with seeing this thread'ss title right next to the Carrie Fisher thread at all, to the point where I'm considering changing the topic name or bumping another thread to at least separate the two.

I'd say put the Carrie Fisher discussion in the off-topic general discussions sub-forum, it's where other tributes and announcements about entertainers and musicians have gone and Carrie was one hell of an entertainer...not the usual fodder for a Sandbox topic, especially bullshit like this one's subject matter.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 08:32:51 PM »

Only issue...there isn't one. There's one devoted to music, but not a general one. Hmm...that may be something to consider....

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016, 08:35:04 PM »

Just did it.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 04:22:45 AM »

Getting back to the subject at hand, I mentioned something to Billy in private something that I think might be a good idea to try, or at least consider. I propose that a new  board rule be instated, expressely banning any and all political discussion from the board.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 04:54:10 AM »

Getting back to the subject at hand, I mentioned something to Billy in private something that I think might be a good idea to try, or at least consider. I propose that a new board rule be instated, expressely banning any and all political discussion from the board.

I know it's difficult to draw a line between political discussion that belongs in the main section (the Boys and Trump) and political discussion that belongs here (just Trump) but to ban everything everywhere? Surely it's as legit a topic as what are you doing/reading/cooking/eating/etc. There are those here who like discussing it----and most eloquently in some cases.

Anyway, I'm not sure anything should be banned en masse. Better to judge each new topic on its own merits, I say.

My two eurocents.   

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 06:20:11 AM »

Banned from the sandbox? That would be a drag.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 07:19:35 AM »

I'd stop visiting the board for sure. This isn't some kind of dramatic "I'm leaving" crap, because that's all very boring. But after almost two decades, the BBs stuff gets so repetitive, I'm mostly looking for other topics: maybe 40-50% of why I visit the board is to talk politics.

Banning it would be a sad concession to people who are apparently incapable of having a disagreement without getting too worked up and hating each other (and/or quitting in dramatic fashion while condemning libtards or cucks or whoever it is they're mad at, presumably while starting threads about death spirals).

Perhaps we could ban mention of Mike Love and Brian Wilson, as well. After all, that stupid little fan-feud causes even more name-calling, novel-posts, and grand departures.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »

My own take: Remember that over the past year or two, there were concerted efforts both public and behind the scenes to try scrubbing this board of anything deemed critical of band members, to the point where moderators were apparently expected to judge individual posts in terms of what would be defined as critical of a band member and act accordingly to remove them, up to making criticism of band members a bannable offense. When those efforts failed, there were campaigns started to remove or replace moderators ostensibly to put moderators in place who would be more open to these bans, re-definitions of the rules, and outright scrubdowns of members who some individuals didn't want to see around.

There was a campaign to gin up support for an open election of moderators, akin to a popular vote, but the fact that some of the more vocal proponents of that were either involved in or had knowledge of members who were holding multiple accounts and using those multiple accounts to evade bans and outright troll the board trying to hide their identity made the notion of a fair vote an impossibility if not an outright joke.

The board is running smooth over the past 6 months or so with a few unfortunate hiccups (some related to the political discussions going into the music discussions), perhaps too smooth for some who wish to see it trashed and dismantled, and perhaps also some don't want to recognize what (and who) some of the issues causing the bigger negative issues going back years may have been. It's not that hard to see, is it?

Point is, there was a time when a form of real censorship was being pushed on this board directly related to on-topic music discussions, and fortunately it was rejected. For all of the mass departures and bellyaching, for all of the personal attacks on moderators, admins, and the board membership in general, for all of the lies and distortions being spread on multiple outlets related to the Beach Boys including Facebook...the board is still here and the readership numbers are pretty much where they were prior to the mass exodus to greener pastures, minus 15 or so people who were among those most vocal in trying to scrub this forum of "undesirables" including mods and admin, and calling for stricter rules and enforcement while bending and breaking the existing rules via their conduct and interactions with other board members. It's simple to do the math if you add it up.

Maybe I'm not recalling all of it, but I don't remember there being much of a public pushback when that overt censorship mentality regarding criticism of the band and band members was being suggested for this forum, and that would have affected the main topic of this forum, not just off-topic "sandbox" types of discussions.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »

I agree with a ban on the political talk in the sandbox.

It's a constant stream of .

The Trump topic may seem as legit as cooking or reading to some people here. But if I post about how I made an exquisite chicken parmesan this past weekend I most likely won't be met with a "f*** YOU" or given a 5 paragraph essay daily, for the next 4-8, years on why chicken parmesan sucks. One's love for Hemingway isn't met with a seemingly never ending two-person circlejerk on why Hemingway is overrated.

The stupid little fan-feuds regarding Mike and Brian are visibly upsetting to some here. But logically one would kind of expect those fan feuds to occur on a forum devoted to one of music's most controversial bands.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 09:45:01 AM »

But if two people want to talk at length about why Hemingway is overrated, why should that bother you? There are multiple threads I find uninteresting or if I read them annoying, so I don't read them. Why try to control other people's conversation?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: