-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:15:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  This Board
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This Board  (Read 49601 times)
Bill Ed
« on: December 22, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »

And it's a shame.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:53:06 PM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »

No need for this.  People are being overly emotional though, which is sad, but not unexpected.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 09:21:52 PM »

Like all great things, I'm certain people have been making comments like this since day one  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »

It can sadly all be traced back to Mike taking the band into said death spiral post-Carl Wilson, the guy with whose integrity we would be nowhere remotely near the place we are now (both the board and the band itself).

If there was ever a What Would Carl Wilson Do moment needed for reflection... now would be the time.  Carl would never allow the band to play this inauguration.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:36:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:57 PM »

People were saying the board was dying back in 2007

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bill Ed
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »

And I hope I'm just as wrong in 2016. The Beach Boys are by far my favorite group, and it's important that boards such as this one exist.

Is there a way to "deregister" from the board?

I would have preferred to do this more discretely but couldn't find a way to do it without revealing my email address to a random moderator.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »

You should be able to delete your own account. If not, just PM me and I'll do it, unless you change your mind (which I hope you do change your mind, personally)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 10:37:57 PM »

I would have preferred to do this more discretely but couldn't find a way to do it without revealing my email address to a random moderator.

Leaving? Well, then,go to your profile. change your email to something else different.change it to private-if it is not already, and -then change it to something fake. Use a hastily registered gmail .account-or I suggest hotmail.com*remember them??* Still around. you  know? And you don't need to have them text some dumbass verification code to your phone. Or supply them with a 'real' alternate/secondary email. you can do it quickly. get the "fake" email. change it in your profile options.
-THEN ask the mods to delete your account.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:39:56 PM by bigsurdrifter » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »

I suggest following these simple steps:

1. Be less of a loser.
2. Quit whining about literally nothing at all.
3. Grow up.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 05:14:10 AM »

Is this politics related? It's crazy how the 2 boards/Online Beach Boys world seems to be split these days as much as people on both sides might claim otherwise (barring the odd exception)

PS Forum Vs SmileySmile
Mike Vs Brian
Trump Vs Liberals

bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 05:42:03 AM »

Is this politics related? It's crazy how the 2 boards/Online Beach Boys world seems to be split these days as much as people on both sides might claim otherwise (barring the odd exception)

PS Forum Vs SmileySmile
Mike Vs Brian
Trump Vs Liberals

Which is ironic since as far as I know the main moderators over at PSF are left leaning, particularly Bubbly
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 06:05:06 AM »

Which is ironic since as far as I know the main moderators over at PSF are left leaning, particularly Bubbly

Yeah, true..maybe Andersson too but I'm a bit confused at this point who everyone is but certainly the more vocal right leaning posters seem to be all there now.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 06:35:27 AM »

PS Forum Vs SmileySmile
Mike Vs Brian
Trump Vs Liberals

Well it just goes to show the moral split between the two boards. One board decided to use simple ethics to rid itself of the trash that was stinking up this forum  (trolling, shuttling false info to the mods, inquiries about locations of poster, threats, harassment, etc), and the other board nonchalantly welcomed these people with open arms (and even gave one of these banned-Smiley Smilers a 'honored member' status).

Even if the mods are left leaning I'm sure they'll take anyone in at this point over at that forum...as it seems to be a dead zone of activity. However I doubt the political refugees will get much sympathy for their political beliefs there, either.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 07:07:46 AM »

Zeroing in on politics and political content of posts on this board is just the latest vehicle being gassed up to try to discredit and dismiss the fans who post here, and sully the existence of this forum itself. A full gas tank doesn't mean a thing if the engine is blown - it won't run.

The reasons why these comments are showing up now might have less to do with politics and more to do with protecting the brand re: the touring and trying to scrub the web of criticism of Mike Love, with the notion that this forum is ground zero and a toxic place with toxic fans who are toxic for people who are "all about the music". Start with the hundreds of comments on any given news page that ran the inaugural ball story yesterday, and the criticism of Mike extends well beyond the core group who comes here to talk. A lot of whitewash will need to be mixed to scrub that down.

But, never let the truth or facts get in the way of a good "campaign", right?  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »

Yeah, true..maybe Andersson too but I'm a bit confused at this point who everyone is but certainly the more vocal right leaning posters seem to be all there now.

All mods there are lefties. It's funny how that works.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 06:06:58 AM »

Andersson is a crazy conspiracy theorist.  He once tried to convince me that the Newtown shooting was a hoax.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 07:38:43 AM »

Andersson is a crazy conspiracy theorist.  He once tried to convince me that the Newtown shooting was a hoax.

Who says conspiracy theorists can lean only to the right?  LOL
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 08:18:49 AM »

Now and then I read some threads in the PSF. The only point of interest is the way people whom I remember as rude and obnoxious here suddenly "become" soft-spoken intellectuals there. That's further proof that they were only trolling us in this board, and were rightfully banned. So, thanks again Billy and Craig.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:35:06 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »

Thanks Thorgil...that's a great point too

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »

Soft-spoken intellectuals? I haven't seen any on either board. Seems to me most people act more or less the same on both boards, though admittedly I can barely keep track of who's who half of the time.

Whatever the reasons for people being on one board or the other, both, or neither, I don't think it's very important. Who's right, who's wrong, who's right, who's left, who's a troll, who's an insider, who's whatever. It seems like a huge waste of time worrying or talking about it. Personally, I like some people on both boards. I despise some people on both boards. I am entirely apathetic about most people on both boards. If there were some magic world where I could pull in and push away the perfect group for me, I would. But I can't, so life goes on as it is.

If this board is in a death spiral, as the thread suggests, oh well. Then it will die and people will do something else ... most likely on another board nearly identical to this one with whoever is left to care. And if this board isn't in a death spiral, which seems more likely, then whatever, it's just another case of someone being a drama queen when somebody crossed them on this or that topic. Not important. None of this. This board can be this board without trashing that board. And vice versa. Not important.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »

Just needs Rocky back.... Cool Guy Roll Eyes Tip Toe w00t! Banana
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »

Soft-spoken intellectuals? I haven't seen any on either board.

LOL LOL LOL That's made my evening.

Once again, it's taken the captain to make some sense of this topic.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »

Soft-spoken intellectuals? I haven't seen any on either board. Seems to me most people act more or less the same on both boards, though admittedly I can barely keep track of who's who half of the time.

Whatever the reasons for people being on one board or the other, both, or neither, I don't think it's very important. Who's right, who's wrong, who's right, who's left, who's a troll, who's an insider, who's whatever. It seems like a huge waste of time worrying or talking about it. Personally, I like some people on both boards. I despise some people on both boards. I am entirely apathetic about most people on both boards. If there were some magic world where I could pull in and push away the perfect group for me, I would. But I can't, so life goes on as it is.

If this board is in a death spiral, as the thread suggests, oh well. Then it will die and people will do something else ... most likely on another board nearly identical to this one with whoever is left to care. And if this board isn't in a death spiral, which seems more likely, then whatever, it's just another case of someone being a drama queen when somebody crossed them on this or that topic. Not important. None of this. This board can be this board without trashing that board. And vice versa. Not important.

Also great points.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Captain, I understand your "neutral" attitude, but it's not for me. I was an avid reader of the old Smile Shop, the best BB/BW related site ever, and its board. There I learned almost all of the little I know about these matters, and it was a sad moment for me when it closed. Then a very battered Phoenix re-emerged from its ashes, as the aptly named "Smiley Smile", and I lurked for a lot of time here: always a great forum and a great source of info and even music, marred only by the extremely confrontational, and too often elitist, nature of several members. That's the reason I was only a reader for years, without ever mustering the "courage" to apply for membership and offer myself to the wolves. Smiley

Now it's different. I think Billy and Craig are doing a great work in keeping the overall atmosphere much friendlier and more welcoming, particularly to "newbies". The reason I can't be "neutral" is that I didn't like all the personal attacks against them, and don't like when a member is disrespectful to the board, which is still the best around, imho. Death spiral? This board WAS entering one (for the second time), and has been saved on the very brink.

Said that, I acknowledge the function of the PSF, am happy it's there, and have absolutely nothing against the people there... well, almost all of them. But then, nobody's perfect.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:15:27 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »

Agreed newbies are free to post here without the cyberspace bullies of AGD and crowd.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: