gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:24:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 109798 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »

For that to be true and representative of what I posted...YOU would have to have aligned yourself with the "politricks".  I would think you simply voted the way you always do...for the party.  But if you think that dirty Donny is a great man... ... ...well then...you need to check yourself.  'Cause he ain't.

He isn't even a republican.  He's all about Donald Trump.  Period.  Just like that 'love' guy is all about himself.

I just don't 'get' how no one who voted Trump...not republican...but Trump can't admit that they made a  H U G E  mistake.

To be fair, it's not like he had stellar competition.  

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society.  

I think we'll see after January 20, that much of the hysteria and fear around him is unwarranted.  

A world leader NEEDS tact. At least a modicum of it. WWIII could *literally* be set into motion from one of his tweets. That's not an exaggeration.

Get Hillary out of your frame of thought for a moment (I have major issues with her too, but Trump's "competition" is irrelevant to this). Trump is an unstable, frightening person to be put into that position.

We'll have to agree to disagree.    

So lacking tact for someone of that position is "no biggie"? It's more than a "flaw". Don't try to pretend that this is not anything to remotely worry about the potential repercussions of. C'mon, you *must* on some internal level know this could become a big problem.

His narcissism knows no bounds. Probably why the biggest narcissists in the industry like Kanye and Love have glommed onto him.  Surely this is no coincidence.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:10:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »

For that to be true and representative of what I posted...YOU would have to have aligned yourself with the "politricks".  I would think you simply voted the way you always do...for the party.  But if you think that dirty Donny is a great man... ... ...well then...you need to check yourself.  'Cause he ain't.

He isn't even a republican.  He's all about Donald Trump.  Period.  Just like that 'love' guy is all about himself.

I just don't 'get' how no one who voted Trump...not republican...but Trump can't admit that they made a  H U G E  mistake.

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society.  

I think we'll see after January 20, that much of the hysteria and fear around him is unwarranted.  

A world leader NEEDS tact. At least a modicum of it. WWIII could *literally* be set into motion from one of his tweets. That's not an exaggeration.

Get Hillary out of your frame of thought for a moment (I have major issues with her too, but Trump's "competition" is irrelevant to this). Trump is an unstable, frightening person to be put into that position.

So lacking tact for someone of that position is "no biggie"? It's more than a "flaw". Don't try to pretend that this is not anything to remotely worry about the potential repercussions of.

His narcissism knows no bounds. Probably why the biggest narcissists in the industry like Kanye and Love have glommed onto him. 

CD, I didn't say it was no biggie.  But I don't fear for a potential WWIII.  Do you honestly think that there's never been a narcissist in the Oval Office before?  And there are plenty of narcisstic entertainers who swing to the left, in fact moreso. 

You can keep on pressing all you want with your hysterical arguments and ask "would I support The Beach Boys playing for Hitler, Duke, etc." 

There is absolutely zero point in going back and forth on this, because you'll find something in my post to argue about. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »

So lacking tact for someone of that position is "no biggie"? It's more than a "flaw". Don't try to pretend that this is not anything to remotely worry about the potential repercussions of.

His narcissism knows no bounds. Probably why the biggest narcissists in the industry like Kanye and Love have glommed onto him. 

CD, I didn't say it was no biggie.  But I don't fear for a potential WWIII.  Do you honestly think that there's never been a narcissist in the Oval Office before?  And there are plenty of narcisstic entertainers who swing to the left, in fact moreso. 

You can keep on pressing all you want with your hysterical arguments and ask "would I support The Beach Boys playing for Hitler, Duke, etc." 

There is absolutely zero point in going back and forth on this, because you'll find something in my post to argue about. 

If you concede that his tact is not "no biggie", what types of potential real, serious problems (short of WWIII) could you forsee happening as a result of a world leader who lacks tact as severely as he does? I'm glad you can at least concede it's not a non-issue.

I honestly believe that in modern times, there's never been a narcissist remotely on the level as Trump in the oval office. There are surely narcissistic elements to most politicians, but this is next level sh*t.

To bring this back to the BBs, just imagine Trump (as Mike) asking VDP for an explanation about the cornfield lyrics to Cabinessence in his typical Trump way. To say that Trump would have severely fractured that relationship, just as he could potentially severely fracture sensitive relationships around the globe between this country and others is no wild, crazy idea.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »

Okay- politics and music aside- Trump takes the cake for narcissistic President of the US. WHo do you possibly have in mind to "trump" him on that?
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »

Okay- politics and music aside- Trump takes the cake for narcissistic President of the US. WHo do you possibly have in mind to "trump" him on that?

Thomas Jefferson. He was a turd.

Great writer, though. And he had excellent taste in wine.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »

Although I agree Trump takes the cake, I think Obama is quite narcissistic (two autobiographies before becoming president, the quantities of references to himself in his speeches, demonstrably trumping that stat for all others in history, gifting the Queen an ipod filled with his speeches, etc.). He was just more cool and tactful about it.

I think any person that undergoes the process of running for president must be a sick narcissist.  For me, Trump's narcissism is canceled out by everybody else's. It's his lack of tact about it that I find offensive.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society. 

You say "increasingly oversensitive", I say "fed up". Marginalized communities and those who ally with them are tired of taking it on the cheek. It's "speaking his mind" to say that Mexico is sending rapists, but it's "hysteria" to say that that's racist?

It's not overly sensitive for people who have been trampled on by this country over and over again, and continue to be trampled on in many respects, to speak out when they hear someone who wants to do more trampling. No one is saying Trump shouldn't be allowed to say what he's saying. They're saying that the specifics of what he's saying is uniformed and dangerous.

He ran his campaign in wholly new way that deeply offended a majority of the country, even people who voted for him often found it disgusting. The discord in this country now is the fruit of that. For The Beach Boys entity to get tied to a President who made his name in politics by championing the racist conspiracy that President Obama wasn't entitled to hold office, by claiming we needed to build a wall to keep out the rapists, drug dealers, and murderers Mexico was sending, by encouraging violence at his rallies, by proposing a ban of Muslims coming to our country, by sowing deep distrust of even the most basic journalism, and by calling for his political opponent to be locked up, is for them to end their run as America's Band because this man, more than any other person since maybe Jefferson Davis, has divided America. That was his strategy to win. So HE won, AMERICA lost, and that's a fine deal by him. But The Beach Boys don't need to go along with that splintering of America, even if it's by the person who holds it's highest office.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
KDS
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society. 

You say "increasingly oversensitive", I say "fed up". Marginalized communities and those who ally with them are tired of taking it on the cheek. It's "speaking his mind" to say that Mexico is sending rapists, but it's "hysteria" to say that that's racist?

It's not overly sensitive for people who have been trampled on by this country over and over again, and continue to be trampled on in many respects, to speak out when they hear someone who wants to do more trampling. No one is saying Trump shouldn't be allowed to say what he's saying. They're saying that the specifics of what he's saying is uniformed and dangerous.

He ran his campaign in wholly new way that deeply offended a majority of the country, even people who voted for him often found it disgusting. The discord in this country now is the fruit of that. For The Beach Boys entity to get tied to a President who made his name in politics by championing the racist conspiracy that President Obama wasn't entitled to hold office, by claiming we needed to build a wall to keep out the rapists, drug dealers, and murderers Mexico was sending, by encouraging violence at his rallies, by proposing a ban of Muslims coming to our country, by sowing deep distrust of even the most basic journalism, and by calling for his political opponent to be locked up, is for them to end their run as America's Band because this man, more than any other person since maybe Jefferson Davis, has divided America. That was his strategy to win. So HE won, AMERICA lost, and that's a fine deal by him. But The Beach Boys don't need to go along with that splintering of America, even if it's by the person who holds it's highest office.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how wanting to keep illegal immigrants who commit felonies out of the US is racist.  It's not like he said "all Mexicans are rapists, drug dealers, and murders."  That would be racist. 
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

No point arguing with anybody drinking the media Kool-Aid... anybody who thinks playing at a presidential inauguration will ruin "the Beach Boys" brand clearly hasn't been paying attention for the last 49.5 years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:21:49 PM by terrei » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »

I'm sorry, but I don't see how wanting to keep illegal immigrants who commit felonies out of the US is racist.  It's not like he said "all Mexicans are rapists, drug dealers, and murders."  That would be racist. 
Are you curious to see how what he said is considered racist?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

Can ya'll take this sh*t to the Sandbox?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »

Obama, easily the biggest narcissist to every occupy the WH.  Did you see the size of that presidential seal behind him at his eternal farewell address last night?  The seal was so huge it was Nazi rally creepy in scope.  Almost as large as BO's head.  And who names his dog after himself?  He's the only one I've ever heard of...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »

Can ya'll take this sh*t to the Sandbox?

Yes, PLEASE.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »

I'm sorry, but I don't see how wanting to keep illegal immigrants who commit felonies out of the US is racist.  It's not like he said "all Mexicans are rapists, drug dealers, and murders."  That would be racist.  

"When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

#1 - Suggests Mexico is intentionally sending criminals. Which is false.
#2 - Suggests undocumented residents aren't "like us". Which is unclear what it refers to, but certainly sews the seed of treating them as "others".
#3 - Suggests undocumented residents are people who bring drugs, crime and are rapists. This flies in the face of the facts that, overwhelmingly they come for low wage jobs that American employers pay them under the table to do. As a group, non-citizens have a lower crime rate than American citizens. Because this is factually inaccurate, it means it was either never researched before he said it which means it's based on assumptions that would have to be considered racist in nature or it was researched and then ignored because he didn't care about the truth in preference of using them as scapegoats. Either way, it's racist.
#4 - Suggests most are not good people. Which is a moral judgement on millions of people he's never met based exclusively on their country of origin & the legal status of their residency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/07/08/donald-trumps-false-comments-connecting-mexican-immigrants-and-crime/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/aug/06/donald-trump/trump-mexican-government-they-send-bad-ones-over/

I think this is a racist kind of politics. It's not the kind that The Beach Boys should be forever associated with, especially when they've done so much to solidify their legacy over the last decade plus. From Brian Presenting SMiLE to the 50th Reunion to Love & Mercy, things have been generally on the up, this would crash it.

EDIT: I see the call to take this to the sandbox, and I'll honor whatever decision is made. In my own posts, I've tried to keep things related to whether the characteristics of Donald Trump are something good for the Beach Boys to be associated with. Obviously the nature of this whole thread is inextricably political, but people don't have to follow it and it does relate to the subject at hand which is a very Beach Boys related discussion. Again, I'll honor whatever decision is made, but I wanted to voice my perspective.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:05:21 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

New article from the NYTimes about how acts have responded to playing the inauguration. The Beach Boys are the only major act that appears to be considering. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/arts/music/donald-trump-inauguration-performers.html

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »

New article from the NYTimes about how acts have responded to playing the inauguration. The Beach Boys are the only major act that appears to be considering. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/arts/music/donald-trump-inauguration-performers.html

Facepalm. Why isn't it clear that there's a *good* reason why the band is isolated as the only major act even still considering it? They are an island unto themselves at this point. Nobody in Mike's inner circle has wondered why this is? I assume that Mike is being praised for being brave by those around him. Yeah. Brave. The way Surfin' '92 was brave.

This band that I love is, also tragically pretty much *the* only major act that has done such a large quantity of harebrained things over the years (best exemplified by the Jack Rieley quote), that it really just figures this would be the case. I mean, you will never, and I mean never, find another musical brand name - that was once at such an incredibly high stature - that has done quite as many regrettable things as The BBs. And not just regrettable, but actions that were incredibly short-sighted and unfortunately laughable in hindsight (as well as by basically everyone except themselves at the time).

Like being the laughing stock of the industry over the way C50 imploded. So yeah, this just continues the tradition. Ultimately, very bad judgment + ego were and are largely the main culprit of this tradition.

How anyone who's a fan of this band - regardless of political view - does not see that Jack Rieley was basically the Nostradamus of The BBs' universe, and how that applies here too, is beyond me. Jack's quote is TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.  Like seriously... since the early '70s when he said it, when has that quote EVER been proven to be incorrect?

Good gawd, I hope BRI is taking some behind-the-scenes actions to block this from happening.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:59:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 11, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »

"And I seen all kinds of girls. Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the states. Back to the cutest girls in the world. I wish they all could be California girls..."

#1 - Suggests that no girls are as cute as California girls. Which is false.
#2 - Suggests that the Beach Boys advocate eugenics, or at the very least, a global takeover initiated by the state of California. Which is unclear - how exactly does he "wish" that we could all be Californian?
#3 - Suggests that the "cutest" girls are inherently better than other girls. Blatant objectification of women.

The Beach Boys need not be associated with this malarkey. Females, like illegal immigrants, are a race that we should all be respectful and mindful of. Anyone up for a petition to ban "California Girls"?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »

"And I seen all kinds of girls. Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the states. Back to the cutest girls in the world. I wish they all could be California girls..."

#2 - Suggests that the Beach Boys advocate eugenics, or at the very least, a global takeover initiated by the state of California. Which is unclear - how exactly does he "wish" that we could all be Californian?
#3 - Suggests that the "cutest" girls are inherently better than other girls. Blatant objectification of women.

The Beach Boys need not be associated with this malarkey. Females, like illegal immigrants, are a race that we should all be respectful and mindful of. Anyone up for a petition to ban "California Girls"?

The only banning that's gonna happen is going to pertain to the music supervisors and filmmakers (who are most likely overwhelmingly hate Trump), who may not want to license this song... not because of any sarcastic nonsense BS you are speaking about, but because of a refusal to support the lead singer/cowriter who will become intrinsically associated (ESPECIALLY being as basically everyone else has turned down the gig, making any BB connection stick out even more like a sore thumb) with a person who says countless repugnant sexist and racist comments.

And what if Trump comes onstage to sing with the band on a particular song? Happens all the time in BB-ville. And a video of this becomes one of the most laughed-at/parodied things on the entirety of YouTube. Any song that should suffer such a fate may potentially become undesirable to license the studio version of. Trump's poison. That is not a fringe opinion.

Now that I think about it, Mike's lawsuit to get back all the credits he was unfairly (in most, but not all cases) denied credit for might, ironically, actually *hurt* BB song licensing opportunities in the future, if anti-Trump filmmakers are less likely to want to license a BB song with a "Wilson/Love" credit as opposed to just a "Wilson" credit.  I don't doubt that may happen. I guess that would probably just help albums like the majority of Pet Sounds get licensed more, as opposed to Love-written/sung stuff.

People can stomp their feet and call that ridiculous all they want, but it's out of all of our hands. The entertainment business is not designed to be "fair". Murry f*cked over David and The Marksmen, just as many filmmakers/music supervisors may see fit to do the same to Mike. I imagine many filmmakers/music supervisors are not going to *want* to go out of their way to even come within a mile of potential controversy/fallout over this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:16:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2017, 05:13:17 PM »

How anyone who's a fan of this band - regardless of political view - does not see that Jack Rieley was basically the Nostradamus of The BBs' universe, and how that applies here too, is beyond me. Jack's quote is TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.  Like seriously... since the early '70s when he said it, when has that quote EVER been proven to be incorrect?

Good gawd, I hope BRI is taking some behind-the-scenes actions to block this from happening.

THIS! This music has got a pulse of spirituality. Their best album (and continually called one of the greatest albums of all time) was created by a lot of prayer, a lot of drugs, and a lot of love. For god's sake, leave this band as far away from the political arena as possible.

Btw, remember that Mike apparently reads this board while eating his breakfast in the morning...I'm sure he reads the opinions on this board about the inauguration. I mean, this is the guy who threw a little tantrum when a tiny picture was placed on a freebie CD, so I'm not expecting a rational outcome, but you never know.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 11, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »

You mean we're gonna see less Walgreens commercials featuring BBs music? Cry
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »

At minimum we'll probably see less young/indie film/commercial content featuring BB music with Mike Love cowriting credits/lead vocals being licensed. If it's content that's likely to be aimed at younger, hip people, I don't see many filmmakers/music supervisors wanting to risk fallout.

There is SO much music out there, a giant pool from which to choose, including tons of BB soundalike bands out there (some really, really good ones too). Plus plenty of BB music that is not written/sung by Love.

I can imagine all of those might be more desirable options to many filmmakers/music supervisors that wanting to come within miles of controversy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:22:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »

Mike is the BBs, Wilsons be damned... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »

What precedent are you basing your predictions from?
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »

Silly, but I'll bite.

#1 - Within your breakdown, I would say that the main difference is that "California Girls" is clearly a subjective judgement. The quote you pulled regularly employs the 1st person pronoun "I" to indicate these are the opinions of the singer/group and not an objective fact.
#2 - The song as a whole isn't about the supremacy of California Girls, but actually about how great all the girls in the United States are "East Coast girls", "Southern girls", "Mid-West farmer's daughters", "Northern girls", they are all girls he wishes COULD BE California Girls (presumably because that's where he lives).
#3 - The song does have an underlying focus on cuteness, but there is a good amount of time appreciating girls' sense of style, way of talking.

(Also, females, while not a race, do definitely deserve respect.)

"Mexico is sending rapists", on the other hand, is clearly a false statement that boosts view of undocumented residents as criminals (apart from their immigration status) and is being used as the basis of a multi-billion dollar infrastructure spending proposal that the country will likely have to pay for with our tax money.

"California Girls" seems in keeping with The Beach Boys image. "Mexico is sending rapists" seems like a pretty off brand one to me.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »

I was a Beach Boys fan when I was a child....my parents bought me a cassette tape compilation and I played over and over again until I lost the tape or something - subsequently forgetting about the Beach Boys because at 7 years old I couldn't just drive to the store to pick up a new cassette haha. Well over a decade later I was watching the Denzel Washington movie 'DeJaVu' and 'Don't Worry Baby' came soaring through the speakers. I hadn't heard that tune since I was a kid and it immediately struck me how beautiful it was. After this I spend hundreds of dollars on Beach Boys albums, books, DVDs, paraphernalia, etc...and I continue to do so to this day because of how much I love this band.

My point being: if I hadn't heard that song in that movie my Beach Boys collection would either be totally different or nonexistent. So yeah, I appreciate that filmmakers have the Beach Boys in mind when they include their songs in certain films. If the Beach Boys get a bad rap from the media (whether or not they deserve it) I wonder what kid out there won't be given an opportunity to hear this music like I did thanks to a little Hollywood movie that tastefully used a Beach Boys song.

All that being said, totally agreed about the Walgreens commercial - such a waste of everything and I wish it had never been made.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx