gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:39:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 109290 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 06, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »

Actually, I can't think of a Beach Boys shirt I would want to wear anywhere nowadays. They pretty much all suck! Grin
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 06, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »

I'm looking for the positives here.

Back in the late 80s I was literally the only Beach Boys fan for miles around. You couldn't get more uncool.

I loved it, they were mine and mine alone. Everone else hated them.

It'll be quite nice to be back in that position.

Why is it a *good* or *nice* thing for any fan to have to worry about what people in, say, San Francisco, might think of someone who walks down the street with a Beach Boys logo shirt on January 21? Why does it have to be "on them" if they are pissed to see that shirt? I don't want to offend someone who has every right to be offended by the brand name if they play the election. I'm an empath; I give a f***.

It's not a nice thing at all.

I was being facetious,  sorry. I think my point was I never became a BB fan because of the bands reputation. And I did enjoy the kudos of the Beach Boys being my thing.

It's  always been about the music. But totally agree about this inaugaration not being a good thing, I just mean that it won't affect my enjoyment of their music.  I like a bit of Richard Wagner if I'm in the mood, and I can seperate his music from the Nazi association. I certainly wouldn't wear a Bayreuth Festival  T shirt in Israel though, for the same reasons as you.

Anyhow, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone, especially you, CD as I enjoy your posts,  so apologies in advance if I have.  Smiley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 06, 2017, 05:05:43 PM »

I'm looking for the positives here.

Back in the late 80s I was literally the only Beach Boys fan for miles around. You couldn't get more uncool.

I loved it, they were mine and mine alone. Everone else hated them.

It'll be quite nice to be back in that position.

Why is it a *good* or *nice* thing for any fan to have to worry about what people in, say, San Francisco, might think of someone who walks down the street with a Beach Boys logo shirt on January 21? Why does it have to be "on them" if they are pissed to see that shirt? I don't want to offend someone who has every right to be offended by the brand name if they play the election. I'm an empath; I give a f***.

It's not a nice thing at all.

I was being facetious,  sorry. I think my point was I never became a BB fan because of the bands reputation. And I did enjoy the kudos of the Beach Boys being my thing.

It's  always been about the music. But totally agree about this inaugaration not being a good thing, I just mean that it won't affect my enjoyment of their music.  I like a bit of Richard Wagner if I'm in the mood, and I can seperate his music from the Nazi association. I certainly wouldn't wear a Bayreuth Festival  T shirt in Israel though, for the same reasons as you.

Anyhow, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone, especially you, CD as I enjoy your posts,  so apologies in advance if I have.  Smiley

No I wasn't offended, just trying to clarify what you meant; the internet has a habit of words not coming across quite right sometimes Smiley And thanks. Some other folks in this thread just seem actively *happy* for the possibility that people will get offended by Trump playing, and that's just a really shitty way to be. I hope I'm able to enjoy the music the same way, though I'm not sure I will. I don't know when I'll be playing Looking Back With Love again; maybe Mike can get Trump to do a duet on a Rockin' The Man in the Boat remake.  Undecided
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:07:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »

I don't know when I'll be playing Looking Back With Love again; maybe Mike can get Trump to do a duet on a Rockin' The Man in the Boat remake.  Undecided

Grabbin' the Little Man in the Boat?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: January 10, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »

10 days to go and counting: Is Mike going to play the gig or not?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »

10 days to go and counting: Is Mike going to play the gig or not?

(Picture from CenturyDeprived)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: January 10, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »

What I hope is happening is that Mike is just going to make no comment on this issue for the sake of not getting the media in a tizzy about America's Band refusing to play for Trump (which would be embarrassing for Trump whom Mike seems to get along with).

The more likely and irritating scenario is that Mike will wait until the last minute to announce they're playing the concert so there is little time for media backlash (and possibly little time for BRI to react). In which case I could at least respect that decision so it's less of a threat for me to be a outward fan of this band in public in the future.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: January 10, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »

The damage was already done when that comment to the press was made in the first place. It was a PR stunt that backfired.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 10, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »

The damage was already done when that comment to the press was made in the first place. It was a PR stunt that backfired.

True, but so much more damage can be done. If this concert goes through I foresee boycotts and an erupted Twittersphere. The insults will nearly rival that of what Kanye went through when he solely met with Trump. Bad press, bad publicity ("America's Band Plays For Hitler" - something along those (head)lines. I really hope Brian doesn't get caught up in a media frenzy surrounding this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: January 10, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »

True, but so much more damage can be done. If this concert goes through I foresee boycotts and an erupted Twittersphere. The insults will nearly rival that of what Kanye went through when he solely met with Trump. Bad press, bad publicity ("America's Band Plays For Hitler" - something along those (head)lines. I really hope Brian doesn't get caught up in a media frenzy surrounding this.

Maybe it's being withheld for dramatic effect, part of the showbiz schtick. I picture Bill Murray's character "Nick" the Lounge Singer on the old SNL with a microphone, arm around Mike's shoulder..."What can I say about this man, he's not just aces, he's a royal flush. I call him up at midnight, I say "Mike, I need ya on this stage with me for the big show. This guy right here...you know what he says? He could be playing any stage in the world, anywhere, but he says two words: 'Where and when'. How's that for being a stand-up guy, ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for him, yeah...I'd like to dedicate a song right now if Sidney will start tickling those ivories over there at the piano, Sid, "You'll Never Walk Alone", for my compadre Mike, right here, let's do this...

KDS
« Reply #411 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:15 AM »

I think it's extremely short sighted for people to boycott an artist over politics.  While I didn't agree with what they said or really care for their music, I think it was ridiculous what the Dixie Chicks went through ten or so years ago. 

And if there are headlines like "America's Band Plays for Hitler," that will just play into the perception held by many that the extreme left / anti Trump crowd is simply reacting to the election / inauguration with hysteria. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: January 11, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »

It's unfortunate that after all this back and forth, it's still being posited that the objection to someone playing *this particular* inauguration has much to do with "politics."

You can still agree or disagree with the *moral/ethical* objection many have to *this particular* person being inaugurated, but to chalk up all the outrage to politics, as if people are planning boycotts simply because their team lost, is rather dismissive.

The fact that past inaugurations have not seen anywhere near this much unrest, and the fact that I think we should all be able to agree that a Mitt Romney inauguration would not be seeing *anywhere near* this much objection and unrest, tends to highlight the unique nature of this particular case.

And it is the generally apolitical moral and ethical problems many have with this particular guy that are leading to PR problems for anyone trying to associate with him.

Again, to reiterate, the decades-old association with Regan (as one example) did not gravely hurt the band's PR image. We can have some "Full House/Stamos" style debates about whether it did negatively impact them in some measure, but let's save that for another debate.

This thing going on *right now* in 2017 is very different, and what I think is *extremely short-sighted* is to assume this is just "another inauguration" and "another politician" like any other. I'm not getting into the hysteria (whether justified or not) of what will actually happen and what the guy will do after January. I'm just talking about how it's *very, very easy* to understand, regardless of political affiliation or proclivity, why this 2017 inauguration is a very unique animal.

Mike Love wants to pay respects to the guy who mocked people with disabilities and joked about grabbing a woman's genitals without permission (among FIFTY SKADILLION other reprehensible things said and done uniquely by this guy). THAT'S why people are nauseated by the idea of "The Beach Boys" being associated with the guy, and THAT'S why any person with a  modicum of knowledge regarding PR, including someone who thinks Mr. Trump is awesome, would tell their client to stay away from the guy right now.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:22:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »

Exactly, HeyJude. It's an unnecessary distraction to what should be business as usual.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 11, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »

I really hope the Beach Boys (The American Band) plays for Donald Trump (The American President)!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: January 11, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »

I think it's extremely short sighted for people to boycott an artist over politics.  While I didn't agree with what they said or really care for their music, I think it was ridiculous what the Dixie Chicks went through ten or so years ago. 

Politics?  It has nothing...0...nada...ziltch to do with politics.  It has to do with supporting evil.  The Dixie Chicks were simply opposed to stupid.  That the republicans can't muster the knowhow to find a clear-headed, educated and intelligent human being to represent their ideals has nothing to do with politics.  It has everything to do with the fact that the BEST people would rather cut a million mile berth around being placed in THAT no win position.  Unless you're all about serving your own self interests and agenda...you don't run for THAT spot anymore.

It ain't politics kds.  It's politricks.  Align with that?  You're crap too.  Most don't want the Beach Boys to take that shower.  At least not the brand.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 11, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »

(among FIFTY SKADILLION other reprehensible things said and done uniquely by this guy).

Uniquely? I'm not so sure about that.  I'll agree that the situation is unique in that we have audio documentation of some of this. But to imply that no other president (I'm specifically thinking Clinton) never said or did any of this stuff is naive at best. I suggest you google the phrase "better get some ice on that."

Again, I totally agree that not rejecting this invite at the outset was a huge mistake. I'm just not sure the scenario is as unique or disastrous as most posters here think it is.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »

Politics?  It has nothing...0...nada...ziltch to do with politics.  It has to do with supporting evil. 

So you're telling me you'd be just as opposed-- just as vehement and passionate about this if the PEOTUS were somebody who represented your political views?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: January 11, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »

Bad is bad...evil is evil.  I don't vote for the same party every time.  Never have.  Bad choices don't EVER get my support.  This time around is way beyond bad.  I don't know why you Donny supporters don't get that it has dick-all to do with republicans and democrats.  It only has to do with his being a terrible human being.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #419 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:55 AM »

Politics?  It has nothing...0...nada...ziltch to do with politics.  It has to do with supporting evil.  The Dixie Chicks were simply opposed to stupid.  That the republicans can't muster the knowhow to find a clear-headed, educated and intelligent human being to represent their ideals has nothing to do with politics.  It has everything to do with the fact that the BEST people would rather cut a million mile berth around being placed in THAT no win position.  Unless you're all about serving your own self interests and agenda...you don't run for THAT spot anymore.

It ain't politics kds.  It's politricks.  Align with that?  You're crap too.  Most don't want the Beach Boys to take that shower.  At least not the brand.

So, I'm "crap" because I voted for Trump??

You used to be one of the more level headed posters on these boards. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »

For that to be true and representative of what I posted...YOU would have to have aligned yourself with the "politricks".  I would think you simply voted the way you always do...for the party.  But if you think that dirty Donny is a great man... ... ...well then...you need to check yourself.  'Cause he ain't.

He isn't even a republican.  He's all about Donald Trump.  Period.  Just like that 'love' guy is all about himself.

I just don't 'get' how no one who voted Trump...not republican...but Trump can't admit that they made a  H U G E  mistake.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:20:34 AM by Add Some » Logged

KDS
« Reply #421 on: January 11, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »

For that to be true and representative of what I posted...YOU would have to have aligned yourself with the "politricks".  I would think you simply voted the way you always do...for the party.  But if you think that dirty Donny is a great man... ... ...well then...you need to check yourself.  'Cause he ain't.

He isn't even a republican.  He's all about Donald Trump.  Period.  Just like that 'love' guy is all about himself.

I just don't 'get' how no one who voted Trump...not republican...but Trump can't admit that they made a  H U G E  mistake.

To be fair, it's not like he had stellar competition. 

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society. 

I think we'll see after January 20, that much of the hysteria and fear around him is unwarranted. 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »

Bad is bad...evil is evil.  I don't vote for the same party every time.  Never have.  Bad choices don't EVER get my support.  This time around is way beyond bad.  I don't know why you Donny supporters don't get that it has dick-all to do with republicans and democrats.  It only has to do with his being a terrible human being.

Who you callin' a Donny supporter?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:22 AM »

I just don't 'get' how no one who voted Trump...not republican...but Trump can't admit that they made a  H U G E  mistake.

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society.  

I think we'll see after January 20, that much of the hysteria and fear around him is unwarranted.  

A world leader NEEDS tact. At least a modicum of it. WWIII could *literally* be set into motion from one of his tweets. That's not an exaggeration.

Get Hillary out of your frame of thought for a moment (I have major issues with her too, but Trump's "competition" is irrelevant to this). Trump is an unstable, frightening person to be put into that position.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:44:55 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »

I just don't 'get' how no one who voted Trump...not republican...but Trump can't admit that they made a  H U G E  mistake.

Is he a great man?  I've never met him.  He lacks tact, I'll give you that.  But, I don't see evil when I look at him either.  I see a guy who speaks his mind and it labelled evil by an increasingly oversensitive society.  

A world leader NEEDS tact. At least a modicum of it. WWIII could *literally* be set into motion from one of his tweets. That's not an exaggeration.

Get Hillary out of your frame of thought for a moment (I have major issues with her too, but Trump's "competition" is irrelevant to this). Trump is an unstable, frightening person to be put into that position.

We'll have to agree to disagree.   
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx