gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:09:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 109970 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »

You know, maybe some of us are seeing this the wrong way, since the rap is that we never miss a chance to criticize and bash Mike Love. So what if we looked at some of the musical benefits if, say, Mike and Ted Nugent both agreed to do this gig Jan 20th.

A Mike and Ted duet on the Nugent song "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang".

It would be a showstopper.

Wink  Beer  Happy Friday!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »

If Mike gets his own way and the band plays the inauguration it would be a wonderful irony if Brian & Al ended up playing the Protest Concert with all the big A-listers on the same day. Evil

Frankly, that would be incredible. The biggest f-you to both his cousin as well as the turd-elect, and drawing a line in the sand about where the real Beach Boys stand. That said, I don't think Brian wants to even deal with political fallout in any way, either internally among BRI, or with the public with regards to actual politics, which is why this likely won't happen, and which is why it sucks that he even is being put into the position of having to deal with this garbage.

Whatever Brian does at this point - be it inaction, or action of some sort - it will be considered to be a political statement of some sort, which he'll inevitably be asked about countless times... and that sucks if you are somebody who loves avoidance (but doesn't necessarily want the avoidance to be a statement in and of itself). Not sure how anyone could come to any other conclusion other than that Mike doesn't seem to give many f*cks about how his current actions could affect his cousin's mental health.  

Speaking of mental health and disabilities... let's think back to that image of Trump making fun of that reporter with the physical disability. Let that sink in when one realizes what Brian has been through - that Brian has a lifelong physical disability (hearing impairment), plus has dealt with mental illness, Tardive Dyskinesia, etc. - of which are theoretically potential fodder for making fun of by childish asswipes like Trump.

Mike will perhaps be playing an inauguration for the guy who publicly, shamelessly - and without apology - makes fun of disabled people... when he is the "frontman" of the band that features arguably THE most famous case ever of someone overcoming disabilities - who is also his family member.  

It just gets worse the more one thinks about it.

A politician shamefully and unapologetically mocking a person with disabilities/challenges SHOULD be someone who *any* tactful, sane person who is Brian's bandmate would NOT proudly publicly support in a mega high-profile way.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:56:13 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »

You know, maybe some of us are seeing this the wrong way, since the rap is that we never miss a chance to criticize and bash Mike Love. So what if we looked at some of the musical benefits if, say, Mike and Ted Nugent both agreed to do this gig Jan 20th.

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2016, 06:07:52 PM »

And add Kanye West to the mix as well.

If Kanye, Mike, and Trump were all on the same stage, the amount of ego on that stage could literally be measured by a Geiger Counter. They might create a new atomic element of sh*t.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2016, 07:05:16 PM »

CD won the thread with that emoji! Smokin

He won it with that post, too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »

Mikes worked pretty hard the last few years trying to change the worlds perception. Other than a couple of own goals i think he'd made a bit of progress.

A quick google around the news sites and their comments would indicate it's all been for nothing. The reaction has been pretty consistent everywhere. Except for a bit of a laugh at another forum. I'd wondered if there was anything Mike could do to get some criticism there. With a couple of exceptions - nup!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »

Mikes worked pretty hard the last few years trying to change the worlds perception. Other than a couple of own goals i think he'd made a bit of progress.

A quick google around the news sites and their comments would indicate it's all been for nothing. The reaction has been pretty consistent everywhere. Except for a bit of a laugh at another forum. I'd wondered if there was anything Mike could do to get some criticism there. With a couple of exceptions - nup!

You must not have read much of the posts then at "that other forum".

Does anyone know if Brian or Al voted for Trump or not?  Didn't think so.

And why was it The Professor was banned from here?  His words were not as inflammatory as some others (including Billy's) have been.  Trump would be so proud of you guys trying to ban free speech.  The Professor didn't insist anyone personally.  Maybe it cut a bit close to home for some?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »

I was just thinking about when The Beach Boys played Sun City in 1981. It seems that  that is probably the one event in Beach Boys history that can compare to the current trump fiasco. Does anybody here happen to remember when they played South Africa, and how it compares to the current controversy, if at all?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »

And why was it The Professor was banned from here?  His words were not as inflammatory as some others (including Billy's) have been.  Trump would be so proud of you guys trying to ban free speech.  The Professor didn't insist anyone personally.  Maybe it cut a bit close to home for some?

I'd call questioning the level of intelligence  of people that disagree with him and saying they lack formal education is pretty insulting (I mean, not everyone can be a professor at a community college) . And for the record I edited my post because I admit I did go too far with my initial reaction.
On a more worrisome subject...his ban was initially only temporary...until I logged in the day after I saw he was mysteriously no longer banned. I checked the moderation log and sure enough...the last action was me banning him. He wasn't unbanned by me or Craig. Coincidentally or not, also online were three other posters from that "other board" , two of which were banned here (the other rarely posts anymore) and also had somehow been mysteriously unbanned. So it's permanent now; I'd say it could be revisted but he seems to be happier there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »

I'd call questioning the level of intelligence  of people that disagree with him and saying they lack formal education is pretty insulting (I mean, not everyone can be a professor at a community college) . And for the record I edited my post because I admit I did go too far with my initial reaction.
On a more worrisome subject...his ban was initially only temporary...until I logged in the day after I saw he was mysteriously no longer banned. I checked the moderation log and sure enough...the last action was me banning him. He wasn't unbanned by me or Craig. Coincidentally or not, also online were three other posters from that "other board" , two of which were banned here (the other rarely posts anymore) and also had somehow been mysteriously unbanned. So it's permanent now; I'd say it could be revisted but he seems to be happier there.

I'm actually quite pleased that they're all at that other board making it so wonderfully easy to avoid them and their personal vitriol - that is, except when they come trolling here and BW.  Thanks to you and Craig for taking care of those issues - a thankless job.  May they live happily ever after there. 

As far as the Professor is concerned, I'll leave that discussion to others.  Living with a real professor from an actual university, I know that the last thing he wants to do is prance around announcing the fact.  He found that it made people self-conscious around him, but I guess he's pretty self-assured as an "elite academic" who is somehow also an "hysterical person with no political understanding" and "very little formal education" (cute trick, I must say).

Re: how Brian and Al voted...Who here ever said that they know how they voted?  I feel safe that none of us followed them into the voting booth, but they've made themselves pretty clear that they have no plans to perform at the Inaugural.   I believe that was the discussion.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »

Reinstate the Professor. Banning him for his shitty political opinion is stupid.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:09:07 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »

Reinstate the Professor. Banning him for his shitty political opinion is stupid.

I read what Billy posted, and my understanding is that it was a temporary ban for being insulting to other members until someone other than a mod reinstated him against the temporary ban, along with other banned posters.  That caused a permanent ban.  I believe that's part of the rules?  Billy or Craig can correct me if I'm wrong.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2016, 05:14:58 PM »

I read what Billy posted, and my understanding is that it was a temporary ban for being insulting to other members until someone other than a mod reinstated him against the temporary ban, along with other banned posters.  That caused a permanent ban.  I believe that's part of the rules?  Billy or Craig can correct me if I'm wrong.

You are 100% correct

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »

Actually those two other banned posters weren't unbanned yesterday. ..they've just mysteriously been unbanned previously. Again it may be coincidence but the timing is awful suspect

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »

Re: how Brian and Al voted...Who here ever said that they know how they voted?  I feel safe that none of us followed them into the voting booth, but they've made themselves pretty clear that they have no plans to perform at the Inaugural.   I believe that was the discussion.

Sorry Debbie but that was not what CenturyDeprived seem to be saying on the previous page:

"Being that he (Mike) knows that the other bandmates do not support Trump..."

How does CD know that Mike knows this?  Maybe him and Mike both followed Brian and Al into the booth!  Maybe Brian and Al support Trump, maybe they don't.  But if they do, then that would throw the cat among the pigeons here.  Would folks be so quick to criticise Mike for thinking about playing?

Anyway, it's not a big deal, Merry Christmas everyone!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2016, 06:45:36 PM »

Does anyone know if Brian or Al voted for Trump or not?  Didn't think so.

And why was it The Professor was banned from here?  His words were not as inflammatory as some others (including Billy's) have been.  Trump would be so proud of you guys trying to ban free speech.  The Professor didn't insist anyone personally.  Maybe it cut a bit close to home for some?

I'd call questioning the level of intelligence  of people that disagree with him and saying they lack formal education is pretty insulting (I mean, not everyone can be a professor at a community college) . And for the record I edited my post because I admit I did go too far with my initial reaction.

Re: how Brian and Al voted...Who here ever said that they know how they voted?  I feel safe that none of us followed them into the voting booth, but they've made themselves pretty clear that they have no plans to perform at the Inaugural.   I believe that was the discussion.

Sorry Debbie but that was not what CenturyDeprived seem to be saying on the previous page:

"Being that he (Mike) knows that the other bandmates do not support Trump..."

How does CD know that Mike knows this?  Maybe him and Mike both followed Brian and Al into the booth!  Maybe Brian and Al support Trump, maybe they don't.  But if they do, then that would throw the cat among the pigeons here.  Would folks be so quick to criticise Mike for thinking about playing?

Anyway, it's not a big deal, Merry Christmas everyone!

You are correct; I don't know it for a fact, but it is an educated guess on my part.

What I do know is that they haven't, and surely won't, do any sort of public endorsement of Trump, and that makes all the difference to me.

What's really hilarious is thinking back a few months when people like FDP were bending themselves into pretzels to try and claim  that Mike was *only* doing a "soft" endorsement of Trump, and how his posing with him while giving a thumbs up was evidence of absolutely nothing with regards to supporting the man in any sort of official capacity. Ha ha friggin ha.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:04:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »

Read the comments after the article. Most of the posters leave very brutal comments about The Boys.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2016, 09:12:06 PM »

I was just thinking about when The Beach Boys played Sun City in 1981. It seems that  that is probably the one event in Beach Boys history that can compare to the current trump fiasco. Does anybody here happen to remember when they played South Africa, and how it compares to the current controversy, if at all?

Ian Rusten and Jon Stebbins's "In Concert" book goes into that show/tour, and I think the main takeaway from it was that the BBs were so under the radar/unpopular at the time that few noticed they were playing Sun City. The book reprints an unapologetic quote from Mike on the subject:

"It's nice money. The U.N. can go screw themselves. They never buy tickets to Beach Boys concerts."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »

I believe Mike's going to play it, if Brian and Al are that against it,  they are going to need put out strong media statements saying that a la the LA Times feels like we've been fired tone, only stronger.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:29 PM »

Mike should do it, as the ultimate rock n' roll act of defiance.

I think it's funny everybody assumes BW and AJ voted for Hillary, when Trump got most of the older, white vote. Last time I checked Brian  and Al are old white men.

There's gonna be a lot of people watching, why not entertain them?
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2016, 11:00:51 PM »

Read the comments after the article. Most of the posters leave very brutal comments about The Boys.

It's the Huffington Post, what do you expect?
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 25, 2016, 04:53:53 AM »

There's always an ulterior motive with Mike.
I'm thinking long term like the Presidential Medal Of Freedom Award!
Something he can shove in Brians face!!!
And if he does play don't be surprised when he gets it!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »

Banning him for his shitty political opinion is stupid.

That's true. I'd ban anyone who always speaks in the 3rd person though so  LOL

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »

I just posted on the Huffington site...that it showed up as being posted by my sister-in-law was a bit of a shocker.  She's here for Christmas.  That she was loaded and locked into the site most recently slipped my attention.  Anyway I think I explained it reasonably well.

"The Beach Boys don't deserve the vitriol and low blows being sent their way over this issue. Mike Love, who has always sold out the Beach Boys 'brand' in order to satiate his own need for "nourishment and revenge" is the one to be held responsible. He does not represent the REAL Beach Boys...namely Brian and Al...who want NOTHING to do with performing at Trump's little shindig."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:51:12 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 25, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »

Banning him for his shitty political opinion is stupid.

That's true. I'd ban anyone who always speaks in the 3rd person though so  LOL

Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx