gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 09:22:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 111632 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »

In some ways this is a lot of the issues of the past decade or so coming to a head, only with this it's playing out internationally instead of being confined to fans talking on forums and social media groups. I'll repeat again, actions have consequences. And, stewardship over a brand identity and legacy dating back half a century should involve some responsibility over how the public views it, including trying to avoid anything that will create a negative perception of that brand and identity and instead focusing on things like optics and PR when it comes to the general public. That often involves biting one's tongue and checking personal feelings or desires at the door, and avoiding things that would divide the fan base in a negative way.

Not only that, but Mike bringing the band's name into this cesspool is so incredibly disrespectful to the other band members who would surely want nothing to do with it.  Both living and deceased. It is completely, ridiculously selfish.  It is Mike saying "I am the Beach Boys, the rest of you, go f*** yourself".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:01:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »

It is Mike saying "I am the Beach Boys, the rest of you, go f*** yourself".

Hasn't Mike been saying that for 55 years now?
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »

The only good thing is that over the last 15-20 years the band has become much less important and Brian Wilson much more important. So if the "brand" does get ruined - I won't be happy, I love the Beach Boys, but the legacy of Brian Wilson, one of the towering figures of 20th Century music will be fine.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »

^ Good point

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »

Exactly, a selfish dipshit of a band mate.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »

Exactly, a selfish dipshit of a band mate.

w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2016, 01:44:44 PM »

Been reading this thread, taking deep long breaths as I take it all in.  So what I've taken in so far...

1.  We have a poster telling us the 1/20 concert in No. Caroline has been cancelled.  Later poster says its been re-scheduled for 1/22.

2.  Media across the world is picking up the story.....Seems either the Guardian or Rolling Stone first reported it as the story seemed to swirl out of control  over the past 48 to 72 hours. 

3.  Mike's people say its being considered and Brian's people disavowing any involvement of Brian or Al.

4.  One or two (hundred) comments about the BB Brand and the effects of Mikes group showing up on the brand going forward.   I've always felt the threads that have talked about the license as some of the most informative, especially how its played out since 1998.   In this case, I feel the point being made about merchandise and merchandising has HUGE questions going forward.

5,  So what happens to the brand when people with bullhorns show up at each concert venue where Mike's playing.  People still may go to the show,  but just maybe won't lay out an extra 50 bucks for merchandise.  This could/will have a multiplier effect.  I'm not an expert, but merch at the show stays with Mike but merch off the BB's website stays with the 4 BRI principals ?  correct ??    please correct me if I'm incorrect. 

6.  Terms of the BRI license has been discussed forever here on the board.   Holder of license can NOT do anything in any shape or form to harm the brand.

&.  My gut thinks a special BRI board meeting is in order.  I don't know the mechanics of how this can happen (or maybe it has happened??)....and we'll see which way Carl's estate votes.  Hopefully the money made for a 1/20 inauguration show isn't enough to sway any negative votes.... yes sadly, capitalism at its finest.   Guessing a 2-2 vote...the show goes on....and if that's the case.....I want a bullhorn for XMAS
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »

In some ways this is a lot of the issues of the past decade or so coming to a head, only with this it's playing out internationally instead of being confined to fans talking on forums and social media groups. I'll repeat again, actions have consequences. And, stewardship over a brand identity and legacy dating back half a century should involve some responsibility over how the public views it, including trying to avoid anything that will create a negative perception of that brand and identity and instead focusing on things like optics and PR when it comes to the general public. That often involves biting one's tongue and checking personal feelings or desires at the door, and avoiding things that would divide the fan base in a negative way.

I think the fan base has been divided, quite possibly in a negative way, for decades.  You see it in action with posts like that of OSD or LSD or whatever his moniker is....

I thought with wry amusement that the above dummied up concert poster which stated something like "let's show them that love trumps hate" should have really stated, "Let's show them that we hate Trump".  And that my friends is not an expression of love.....really labelling a political opponent irresponsibly as a "hater" and hating them is not an expression of love either.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »

My gut thinks a special BRI board meeting is in order.  I don't know the mechanics of how this can happen (or maybe it has happened??)....and we'll see which way Carl's estate votes.  Hopefully the money made for a 1/20 inauguration show isn't enough to sway any negative votes.... yes sadly, capitalism at its finest.   Guessing a 2-2 vote...the show goes on....and if that's the case.....I want a bullhorn for XMAS

If this doesn't force a revote, nothing will

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Scaroline No
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »

My gut thinks a special BRI board meeting is in order.  I don't know the mechanics of how this can happen (or maybe it has happened??)....and we'll see which way Carl's estate votes.  Hopefully the money made for a 1/20 inauguration show isn't enough to sway any negative votes.... yes sadly, capitalism at its finest.   Guessing a 2-2 vote...the show goes on....and if that's the case.....I want a bullhorn for XMAS

If this doesn't force a revote, nothing will
I had a thought earlier today when Brian's social media team posted the photo of him on the phone with the #BusyDoinNothin, that it was a cryptic reference to having to fix a lot of things this morning 'cause they were so scrambled... fingers crossed it was his way of saying he's dealing with this.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:21:40 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »

I believe they should play the inauguration.  It may help to unite the American people.  As for all the little snowflakes on here, grow up.  You don't have to worry about the BB's musical legacy, that is set in stone...you also don't have to worry about the BBs "brand".  (worrying about a bunch of multi-millionaires' "brand"....who the hell thinks this way??).

There have always been two different types of the Beach Boys, and this topic is adding to the evidence. Mind you this is pure speculation, but it's fun to generalise.

One one side you have the pro-progressive side of the band. They love Pet Sounds, Smile, early 70s live era, the great alternative albums of 1966-1973, PoB, Love You etc. They are big fans of the Wilsons and place them as the core of the Beach Boys, and that there can be no "Beach Boys" without a Wilson taking part. These people vote Obama and are more urban. Younger fans fall mostly in this grouping.

One the other side you have the pro Mike Love side, the ones who like the Beach Boys with a preference of the association with 60s carefree years (before the hippies ruined everything). They tend to love the earlier car and chick albums, rejoice at hearing Kokomo on the radio, prefer the 80s when the Beach Boys were a travelling jukebox of old hits and had no issue with cheerleaders dancing to the songs. They are more rural, have nostalgia for the old days when things were in their mind better and "America was still working" etc. They voted overwhelmingly for Trump, like Mike and Bruce most likely did.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:38:36 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »

Ouch!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_585d37c7e4b0de3a08f4fe3b?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »

I'm getting the feeling that many people in this thread are liberals which is just a shorthand of saying hysterical people with no political understanding very little formal education and who read a couple of selected websites like moveon.org or read the guardian rag magazine and have hatred for Trump who is already doing an outstanding job in leading this country and will do more for women and more for minorities and more for the gay community than all the brain-dead Liberals combined that have tried to lead this country of late .  I don't like to get angry or unkind here but I'm so frustrated with the moral self-righteousness of snarky liberals who pay no attention to the real actions and accomplishments of the president-elect and just go with the crowd from things they have heard from other uninformed and barely educated people who live only for hate and snark. I would be thrilled if the Patriotic Beach Boys would put country first and would perform which is not a political act but an act of patriotism and unity. I thought the motto on the left was stronger together wasn't it? There is nothing more intolerant and hate-filled than a leftist American liberal.

American Liberals are an elite academic cast who are capable only in performing in a snarky way what they call social justice and I am very disappointed that the level of intellectual depth in this thread, which is equivalent to that of someone like Samantha Bee on television. I am one of the intellectuals for Trump and like him I have liberal social policies and I believe in protection and prosperity and have seen nothing but failure in the Obama years.

All due respect, go f*** yourself.

;-)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »

I'm getting the feeling that many people in this thread are liberals which is just a shorthand of saying hysterical people with no political understanding very little formal education and who read a couple of selected websites like moveon.org or read the guardian rag magazine and have hatred for Trump who is already doing an outstanding job in leading this country and will do more for women and more for minorities and more for the gay community than all the brain-dead Liberals combined that have tried to lead this country of late .  I don't like to get angry or unkind here but I'm so frustrated with the moral self-righteousness of snarky liberals who pay no attention to the real actions and accomplishments of the president-elect and just go with the crowd from things they have heard from other uninformed and barely educated people who live only for hate and snark. I would be thrilled if the Patriotic Beach Boys would put country first and would perform which is not a political act but an act of patriotism and unity. I thought the motto on the left was stronger together wasn't it? There is nothing more intolerant and hate-filled than a leftist American liberal.

American Liberals are an elite academic cast who are capable only in performing in a snarky way what they call social justice and I am very disappointed that the level of intellectual depth in this thread, which is equivalent to that of someone like Samantha Bee on television. I am one of the intellectuals for Trump and like him I have liberal social policies and I believe in protection and prosperity and have seen nothing but failure in the Obama years.

Go f*** yourself with that attitude. You're done here, you intolerant prick. If you're an intellectual,  then I'm Jennifer Aniston.  

So sorry I'm late to see this, as I treasure every great laugh these days.  I did notice we liberals' horrible lack of education in the first paragraph, followed by our being elite academics in the 2nd.  I admit to being a bit confused... Cool Guy by that - at least it was funny in a creepy sort of way...
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »

Wow, what an ignorant statement.  Seems you bought into the smearing of Breitbart and the GOP.  This isn't a Ronald Reagan we're talking about here, this is Trump, a polarizing figure who decisively won a bitter election.  At least have the intellectual capacity to listen to the other side instead of trying to be the one who is right.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »

With Trump so desperate for acts to play his inauguration and playing so heavily on the whole nostalgia thing I guess we all know this was gonna happen. 

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »

I'd like to get down to brass tacks on this, temporarily put aside all political feelings pro or con whoever or whatever. The Beach Boys as a name and as a legacy is not Mike Love. This current situation is ripping the fanbase apart internationally, and it definitely wasn't helped by news articles using photos of Beach Boys other than Mike and Bruce who have no involvement in this at all. I'm glad at least a statement was issued to help clarify that, but I'm distressed that the news outlets are not picking it up as they should be.

What will happen next is unfortunately still unknown, but the fact there are already people around the globe saying what they are saying about The Beach Boys - not Mike, but The Beach Boys and their musical heritage - is as disturbing as any recent event with this band I can think of. I hope the point gets across that there is a lot at stake beyond playing or not playing a show in January.

Thanks, GF.  I'm telling friends individually who are asking, but most people really don't know the BBs' story, or care - but they do have strong political beliefs.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »

I think what is being missed in the last page is how a lot, and I'd say even a majority, of the people who buy tickets to see Mike's shows are not people who frequent BB message forums, FB groups, and the like. I don't think they have any idea or very little idea what goes on with licensing, BRI, basically the whole ball of wax apart from knowing the name "The Beach Boys".

And as much as that *may* have been used (or even overused...) as an advantage in the past, it's this specific situation that blew up today which brings up the potentially negative consequences. Namely, "Beach Boys" as a brand to many observers not as engaged as the more dedicated fans carries no separation between the classic records/hits, the original lineup, and who they are buying tickets to see in 2016. If they see that the Beach Boys are doing this or that, it's the direct line to the 1960's and all the other things that helped build and shape that brand.

At the risk of repeating myself, that carries a lot of responsibility for whoever is charged with carrying and presenting the brand identity. If something like this is blowing up the internet, outside the core fan communities, when is the alarm bell going to sound and something be done to stop it?

There is a reason why you don't usually see overtly political signs displayed in or political events hosted by individual franchises, like fast food restaurants or chain hardware stores, and the like. Assume even a most generous 50/50 basic split of public opinion on any political topic, and you can't have a franchise owner in Iowa doing something publicly that risks losing half of the customer base and having other franchises who have no involvement in Iowa suffer a backlash because people start thinking "Brand X" publicly supports "Candidate X". Yes, the market decides, yes people can choose, yes people can express opinions, but if you're buying into a license to use a name and sell a brand identity, most corporate franchises who license the name will not allow a random franchisee to make headlines doing something to alienate customers and potentially harm the brand itself. If someone's business is independent, none of that applies. But when someone pays to license a franchise and a brand name, they are locked into specific rules of conduct and presentation. That's business. You cannot act in a way or present the brand in a way that could alienate a decent-size percentage of that brand's customers. Business 101.

What has been happening today goes beyond Mike's touring and merch. Repeating myself again, as soon as more than a small number of comments were suggesting a backlash against Beach Boys music in general, that has to be the damn alarm bell clanging loudly. Whether someone agrees or disagrees with the rationale or the issues driving this, there is no way in hell the music and musical legacy should have to suffer a backlash due to something done or not done by the member holding the license to use the name.

It boggles my mind to think that among some there is no concern or the attitude of "move on, nothing to see here, it will blow over..." when you have an internet full of people bashing the Beach Boys. Not just Mike, but the Beach Boys. "I'll never listen to Good Vibrations again if they do this show".

That's as fair as when those idiots a few years ago decided to boycott French Fries and sales dropped across the US. People who happened to sell french fries with no skin in the political zealotry game lost out on their livelihood because of that - either that or they had to get new signs made to read "Freedom Fries" so they wouldn't lose business. Absolutely silly sh*t, right? This cannot happen to the legacy of the Beach Boys. And the classic records are the real legacy, and always will be, well beyond whoever happens to hold the license to the brand name. Anyone who tries to get people to think otherwise just doesn't get it. End rant.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »

I'd like to get down to brass tacks on this, temporarily put aside all political feelings pro or con whoever or whatever. The Beach Boys as a name and as a legacy is not Mike Love. This current situation is ripping the fanbase apart internationally, and it definitely wasn't helped by news articles using photos of Beach Boys other than Mike and Bruce who have no involvement in this at all. I'm glad at least a statement was issued to help clarify that, but I'm distressed that the news outlets are not picking it up as they should be.

What will happen next is unfortunately still unknown, but the fact there are already people around the globe saying what they are saying about The Beach Boys - not Mike, but The Beach Boys and their musical heritage - is as disturbing as any recent event with this band I can think of. I hope the point gets across that there is a lot at stake beyond playing or not playing a show in January.

Thanks, GF.  I'm telling friends individually who are asking, but most people really don't know the BBs' story, or care - but they do have strong political beliefs.

I cannot remember a day like this where the band was being publicly trashed and even the music called into question like this. Truly sad, but actions and decisions made years ago can have a bad habit of coming back to wreak havoc.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »

I was lurking over at the Pet Sounds forum and noticed the Professor ended up there to complain about how we're a bunch of intolerant liberals.  Evil

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2016, 05:09:14 PM »

Mike KNOWS the other BBs want nothing to do with Trump, yet is salivating to go out under the full band name (just because he "can").

Being that he knows that the other bandmates do not support Trump, isn't an attempt to use the band name (and not just go out as "Mike Love") not the most chickenshit thing he could possibly do? Too afraid to just own the Trump thing as his own? This goes beyond what anyone thinks of Trump. Take Trump out of the equation; it's pathetic to use the band name in such a MAJOR way for an extremely divisive politician when the other bandmembers are not for it. That is inarguable. It's classless. Anyone care to defend that? Mike needs his very own chickensh*t emoji.

Has Mike EVER in his entire life thought "just because I can, doesn't mean I should"? No, that's THE antithesis of Mike Love, and THE antithesis of his orange hero. Peas in a friggin' pod.

I mean, seriously. This would NOT happen if Carl were around. Mike must know that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:23:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2016, 05:12:04 PM »

I was lurking over at the Pet Sounds forum and noticed the Professor ended up there to complain about how we're a bunch of intolerant liberals.  Evil

Him calling us intolerant is quite rich coming from him. I was actually reconsidering making his ban unpermanent...not anymore.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2016, 05:34:38 PM »

Oh the irony  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »

CD won the thread with that emoji! Smokin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »

If Mike gets his own way and the band plays the inauguration it would be a wonderful irony if Brian & Al ended up playing the Protest Concert with all the big A-listers on the same day. Evil
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx