gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:03:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 109850 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »

If Mike was they only guy who would get the heat for doing this then I wouldn't have much of a problem. But the brand and Brian and Al will be impacted too, as will the band's legacy.

Again, the same media and observers who thought that Mike fired Brian in 2012 will also think that Brian and Al and the real Beach Boys are attached to this thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »

I certainly hope The Beach Boys don't play - I think it'll be disastrous for their legacy.

What does surprise me though is that Ted Nugent hasn't been offered yet. Given that he's politically to the far right and is a enthusiastic Trump supporter, I don't see him turning down such an offer at all.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »

I believe they should play the inauguration.  It may help to unite the American people.  As for all the little snowflakes on here, grow up.  You don't have to worry about the BB's musical legacy, that is set in stone...you also don't have to worry about the BBs "brand".  (worrying about a bunch of multi-millionaires' "brand"....who the hell thinks this way??).

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »

A move that will make large amounts of people think he's an asshole? There's no way he can resist, Mke Love has a genetic imperative to play the inauguration. It's all that tainted Wilson blood!

They can sweeten the pot by mentioning free leftover hats.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:06:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

If Mike plays, the amount of flak he will receive will be nuclear, and I cannot wait to hear the "Wilson-based negativity" being fingered as the culprit once again.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »

I LOVE The Beach Boys. Have bought 100s, maybe 1000s of dollars worth of albums, concert tickets, and merchandise.

Two days ago I was taking solace from the daily pain I feel from Trump's election by arranging all the song on every Beach Boys album in order of my love for it. The Beach Boys were the only thing that could ease my anxiety.

If they perform at the inauguration, I will never give them a dime ever again. I don't care if they find a vintage completed SMiLE, a 6 disc set of demos from the Bellagio studio, or if they reunite again to play a show at Paradise Cove, they will never get a cent out of me. Not even if they pass and it becomes simply their estate and just benefits their children.

They do this, and I'm through with them.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »

I believe they should play the inauguration.  It may help to unite the American people.  As for all the little snowflakes on here, grow up.  You don't have to worry about the BB's musical legacy, that is set in stone...you also don't have to worry about the BBs "brand".  (worrying about a bunch of multi-millionaires' "brand"....who the hell thinks this way??).

Having genuine concerns about how the Beach Boys are perceived in culture does not make anyone a snowflake and I think discussing these concerns on a Beach Boys message board is valid. If you don’t know why some people are concerned about the Beach Boys’ brand, perhaps view it like an asset: a lot of people have hundreds or thousands of dollars as well as time and a sense of personal identity invested in the Beach Boys’ brand, which stands to be potentially devalued.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:33:37 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »

I LOVE The Beach Boys. Have bought 100s, maybe 1000s of dollars worth of albums, concert tickets, and merchandise.

Two days ago I was taking solace from the daily pain I feel from Trump's election by arranging all the song on every Beach Boys album in order of my love for it. The Beach Boys were the only thing that could ease my anxiety.

If they perform at the inauguration, I will never give them a dime ever again. I don't care if they find a vintage completed SMiLE, a 6 disc set of demos from the Bellagio studio, or if they reunite again to play a show at Paradise Cove, they will never get a cent out of me. Not even if they pass and it becomes simply their estate and just benefits their children.

Surely this doesn't include solo Brian Wilson and all that?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »

Brian, the highest profile Beach Boy, should make a statement (if he is against it) just for separation.
Scaroline No
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »

If Mike was they only guy who would get the heat for doing this then I wouldn't have much of a problem. But the brand and Brian and Al will be impacted too, as will the band's legacy.

Again, the same media and observers who thought that Mike fired Brian in 2012 will also think that Brian and Al and the real Beach Boys are attached to this thing.

I wonder if it would be enough for Brian to post a public announcement stating he doesn't support Mike etc. playing the inauguration under the Beach Boys name? That's assuming he doesn't support it.

I honestly don't think Mike could spot a bad idea if it limped up to him covered in cockroaches and globs of flaming dog sh*t. (I also don't think he could spot a good idea if it floated down to him covered in kitten fur, baby giggles and bathed in the light from heaven itself, but that's another matter). He's the king of horrible judgement. Gosh I hope this doesn't happen.

@PrettyFunky - you beat me to it, what you said.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:56:20 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »

If he stands up against it, I will continue to support his solo work. If he doesn't, then that's it for him too in my book. That's not something I say lightly. I went to his most recent Hollywood Bowl show, went to a screening of Love & Mercy where he spoke, got to ask him a question in the Q&A here, but if Mike goes through with it and Brian doesn't issue a statement saying he disagrees, I'll have to boycott him as well. In times like this, silence might not be approval, but it's the closest thing to it.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:57:12 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »

I believe they should play the inauguration.  It may help to unite the American people.  As for all the little snowflakes on here, grow up.  You don't have to worry about the BB's musical legacy, that is set in stone...you also don't have to worry about the BBs "brand".  (worrying about a bunch of multi-millionaires' "brand"....who the hell thinks this way??).

Flakey. Just flakey, but then look at the screen name.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »

A few weeks ago TheBeachBoys.com listed the band as performing at the Fayettville, North Carolina Crown Theatre on January 20. But tickets never went on sale and the concert was cancelled, leaving the evening wide open for a performance at the inauguration.

Considering that this is easily the most divisive election in modern US history, Dixie Chicks manager Simon Renshaw summed up the huge downside of performing at the inauguration thusly: “If anyone does do it, I hope that the check that they get is in the nine figures. Because it’s probably the last check they’re ever going to get…No one is prepared to normalize what is going on in the country right now.”

While exaggerated, the remark is clearly indicative of the negative reaction the BBs would receive from a huge part of their fan base, both hard-core and casual.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:02:25 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »

The BB will get made fun of for sure and criticized, but their legacy isn't exactly spotless anyway.  They've always made bad decisions, it's really nothing new. They get made fun of for Kokomo, Full House, being willing to do whatever it takes for a few extra bucks, cheesy outfits. This just fits right in. In fact, I would bet it wouldn't surprise most of the John Q. Publics anyway. They expect this stuff from Mike and the BB.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »

Brian, the highest profile Beach Boy, should make a statement (if he is against it) just for separation.

I hope, hope, hope that happens.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:08:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »

The BB will get made fun of for sure and criticized, but their legacy isn't exactly spotless anyway.  They've always made bad decisions, it's really nothing new. They get made fun of for Kokomo, Full House, being willing to do whatever it takes for a few extra bucks, cheesy outfits. This just fits right in. In fact, I would bet it wouldn't surprise most of the John Q. Publics anyway. They expect this stuff from Mike and the BB.

Yeah, this fits right in. Because appearing on Full House is tantamount to supporting a candidate who - and whose cabinet - are a bigoted, unapologetic homophobic bunch of creeps. Yep, same difference. Riiiight.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:11:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

Anyone who says "no big deal" is ignoring the fact that nobody wants to perform for Trump because Trump is uniquely terrible. There weren't any boycotts of the Reagan or Bush inaugurations. Nobody would be making a big deal if a more normal Republican had won the Electoral College. But Trump isn't even a Republican. He is a cancer unto himself. The fact that he is in office due to the weirdness of our Constitution and help from the FBI doesn't hide the fact that he stands alone in American history.

The band should stick to their schedule and simply say they're otherwise engaged. 

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 06:23:03 PM »

Reading this thread has literally made me physically ill.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 06:25:37 PM »

Just because people expect it doesn't mean it needs to happen. It's like we're all not surprised when Mike acts like a child and throws a lawsuit at the Wilson's but we still think he's an even bigger jackass after every time he does it.

These are the Beach Boys that I defend when people do mention the embarrassing Full House visits (has happened numerous times with me, can imagine countless more with other fans), when people see pictures of Mike in his ridiculous get-ups from the 70s. When Kokomo gets mentioned sometimes with a laugh. And now I'll be having to defend who the REAL Beach Boys are if Mike decides to go through with this nonsense.

Leave the Beach Boys out of the poltical arena. Hey Mike, I have an idea: how about you go do an inauguration concert under your own name?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:30:14 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »

If he stands up against it, I will continue to support his solo work. If he doesn't, then that's it for him too in my book. That's not something I say lightly. I went to his most recent Hollywood Bowl show, went to a screening of Love & Mercy where he spoke, got to ask him a question in the Q&A here, but if Mike goes through with it and Brian doesn't issue a statement saying he disagrees, I'll have to boycott him as well. In times like this, silence might not be approval, but it's the closest thing to it.

Brian Wilson is the guy that loves everybody and it has shown through his actions as a person and as a songwriter. To completely disown the guy if he doesn't give a statement is overlooking not only Brian's beautiful contributions to the world, but his own personal struggles with speaking out and facing conflict.

Brian didn't cause this. I'm sure if Mike is actually serious about going on with this charade that the powers that be will put a rightful stop to it.

Boycotting the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson's MUSIC does a disservice to not only Brian but to future generations who could love that music. Imagine a world where everyone boycotted this beautiful music. Boycott the man responsible for this nonsense, not the people who have struggled since day one dealing with the man himself.

The music doesn't deserve that. All the work Brian has done to bring a ray of light into the world doesn't deserve that.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 06:32:19 PM »

Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow

Brian Wilson is the guy that loves everybody and it has shown through his actions as a person and as a songwriter. To completely disown the guy if he doesn't give a statement is overlooking not only Brian's beautiful contributions to the world, but his own personal struggles with speaking out and facing conflict.

Brian didn't cause this. I'm sure if Mike is actually serious about going on with this charade that the powers that be will put a rightful stop to it.

Boycotting the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson's MUSIC does a disservice to not only Brian but to future generations who could love that music. Imagine a world where everyone boycotted this beautiful music. Boycott the man responsible for this nonsense, not the people who have struggled since day one dealing with the man himself.

The music doesn't deserve that. All the work Brian has done to bring a ray of light into the world doesn't deserve that.
Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »

Just because people expect it doesn't mean it needs to happen. It's like we're all not surprised when Mike acts like a child and throws a lawsuit at the Wilson's but we still think he's an even bigger jackass after every time he does it.

These are the Beach Boys that I defend when people do mention the embarrassing Full House visits (has happened numerous times with me, can imagine countless more with other fans), when people see pictures of Mike in his ridiculous get-ups from the 70s. When Kokomo gets mentioned sometimes with a laugh. And now I'll be having to defend who the REAL Beach Boys are if Mike decides to go through with this nonsense.

Leave the Beach Boys out of the poltical arena. Hey Mike, I have an idea: how about you go do an inauguration concert under your own name?

But then, what would one expect from a jackass who relished showing off his manhood on stage? His ego knows no bounds. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »

But then, what would one expect from a jackass who relished showing off his manhood on stage? His ego knows no bounds. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No it doesn't. And the more I think about the more I think Trump would love to have AMERICA'S BAND play the inauguration. Fits perfectly with his slogan.

I wonder what the folks on the Mike Love coddled Pet Sounds Forum have to say about this one...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »

No it doesn't. And the more I think about the more I think Trump would love to have AMERICA'S BAND play the inauguration. Fits perfectly with his slogan.

I wonder what the folks on the Mike Love coddled Pet Sounds Forum have to say about this one...

America's Band?  It will be more like Murikkka's Prostate Gland.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 07:21:10 PM »

America's Band?  It will be more like Murikkka's Prostate Gland.

And people wonder why there was always such a distaste for Mike's side of things....I mean if the lawsuits, the snide comments in the media, refusal to really acknowledge his cousin's current music, etc didn't make it obvious....this inauguration fiasco certainly should!

No matter what your political affiliation you can see what a colossal screwup this is. Given all the ins and outs of BRI, all the potential hazards, the estates, it would be obvious to a person with an IQ of 20 to say "NO" from the very start.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx