gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:18:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 111343 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7633091/beach-boys-considering-invitation-to-perform-at-trump-inauguration

In my opinion, BRI needs to step in and tell Mike no. *Immensely* harmful to the brand and trademark in a way no other political affiliation concerning the band ever has been.

Brian, Al, and Carl's estate: NOW is the time you need to stop being "hands-off" and call an emergency board meeting and tell Mike "NO." Just for this one gig. Because people are going to associate ALL OF YOU with this. The Billboard article even uses C50 pics that include Brian, Al, and Dave.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »

Completely agreed. I've been texting fan friends for the past hour about this. Trump has been ridiculed for being unable to book any big names. If they agreed to play, this would be big news, a big score for trump, it would make headlines, and the Beach Boys name would be forever changed. They would become a sort of trophy and a musical mascot for trump and his followers. This would tarnish their legacy more than ANYTHING they've ever done.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:13:12 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7633091/beach-boys-considering-invitation-to-perform-at-trump-inauguration

In my opinion, BRI needs to step in and tell Mike no. *Immensely* harmful to the brand and trademark in a way no other political affiliation concerning the band ever has been.

Brian, Al, and Carl's estate: NOW is the time you need to stop being "hands-off" and call an emergency board meeting and tell Mike "NO." Just for this one gig. Because people are going to associate ALL OF YOU with this. The Billboard article even uses C50 pics that include Brian, Al, and Dave.

YEP. It already has harmful future implications to the brand name that this article has even been published stating that it is even a *consideration* for them to play. Cannot believe that it has even gotten to this point.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:34:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »

Completely agreed. I've been texting fan friends for the past hour about this. Trump has been ridiculed for being unable to book any big names. If they agreed to play, this would be big news, a big score for trump, it would make headlines, and the Beach Boys name would be forever changed. They would become a sort of trophy and a musical mascot for trump and his followers. This would tarnish their legacy more than ANYTHING they've ever done.

1000% agreed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »

I'd rather them pop up on fuller house dressed up as clowns while getting BJ'S from John Stamos..THAT is how sickening this is.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »

I'd rather them pop up on fuller house dressed up as clowns while getting BJ'S from John Stamos..THAT is how sickening this is.

If Mike plays the gig, the Man Vs Clown website will probably trend on Facebook and Twitter.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 01:34:04 PM »

i dont see the problem. Maybe because i am european but they did more presidents. Remember Ronald Reagan the actor who became president? Just do it Boys i dont care. I booked my tickets for their european tour already. no sweat.
KDS
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »

If they do, they do.  If they don't, they don't.  It's their choice. 

At this point, I really don't see it having an effect on the legacy. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »

This could be the end of the BBs... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »

This could be the end of the BBs... Undecided

Oh, this will be the end of the band for many people if it happens.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »

i dont see the problem. Maybe because i am european but they did more presidents. Remember Ronald Reagan the actor who became president? Just do it Boys i dont care. I booked my tickets for their european tour already. no sweat.
There's a BIG difference between Ronald Reagan and Führer-elect Trump.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »

myKe luHv's reputation already stinks up the place so to him it's unfortunately no big deal to someone who assuredly thinks it's all about him. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »

THIS more than anything.

The Beach Boys should no way be affiliated with politics*. If I thought Mike was capable of thinking this far ahead I'd say he is wanting to make some headlines to boost the name-recognition of the current touring lineup to boost his own ticket sales (and would ultimately turn down performing the inauguration). But I'm sure he's actually considering such a concert.

Regardless of what political affiliation you have I would hope that anyone would see what a stupid move this is. I would be as equally pissed if Hillary won and Brian sang at her inauguration. This music transcends the pettiness and corruption of politics on both sides of the aisle...it's a huge disservice to possibly tarnish this music by even considering such a move.

*Beach Boys and politics should be separate. I know of at least one person who has stopped posting here for the most part because of the constant anti-Trump circlejerk in the sandbox that clogs up the homepage every other day. This person doesn't even support Trump yet they're tired of seeing his name constantly on the homepage. We get it, Trump is a jackass who shouldn't be president. Probably 95% of this forum agrees with you. But as Trump's presidency unfolds I really hope this avenue of discussion finds a separate place to reside.

I come here to mostly get away from the stupidity and corruption of politics. Yeah, I don't have to read the Sandbox (and I most usually don't) but I still have to see what a waste of space those threads take up on the homepage where actual on-topic discussion could be shown. Trump will be doing something new everyday that people will consider stupid or reckless...I'd rather discussions of such behavior find a place on a different forum, or Billy/Guitarfool find a way to allow us to filter the Sandbox from our homepage. Anywho, my rant is over.

PS, it's probably time to start the hashtag #notmybeachboys** if this inauguration concert comes even close to fruition.

**Granted this could've been done when someone had the bright idea to play the Lucky Strike's Lanes and Lounge parking lot gig.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:21:45 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »

As the end of C50 and countless other instances have proved, the media and most casual fans or observers have NO IDEA HOW THE LICENSE WORKS. They won't differentiate between Mike's band and *THE* band, including Brian and Al.

Long story short, this is going to hurt BRIAN and AL as much as anyone else, and it's going to hurt the pocketbook of Carl's estate when people, whether you agree with their methods or not, start calling to BOYCOTT *all* Beach Boys music because one guy who licenses the use of the name decided to play a gig for someone so awful.

Again, Brian, Al, and Carl's estate need to ACT NOW.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »

As the end of C50 and countless other instances have proved, the media and most casual fans or observers have NO IDEA HOW THE LICENSE WORKS. They won't differentiate between Mike's band and *THE* band, including Brian and Al.

Long story short, this is going to hurt BRIAN and AL as much as anyone else, and it's going to hurt the pocketbook of Carl's estate when people, whether you agree with their methods or not, start calling to BOYCOTT *all* Beach Boys music because one guy who licenses the use of the name decided to play a gig for someone so awful.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the fact it's still apparently just "being considered" by Mike is evidence of actions behind the scenes where Brian, Al, and Carl's estate are figuring out their options in how they could block Mike.

Again - that it's even public knowledge in articles that it's "being considered" is already harmful.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:33:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »

As of a couple minutes ago they changed the picture in the article to Mike and Bruce (as it was a picture of the C50 band). Not even Billboard knows who the hell is in this band anymore!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

As of a couple minutes ago they changed the picture in the article to Mike and Bruce (as it was a picture of the C50 band). Not even Billboard knows who the hell is in this band anymore!

Maybe that means that Brian/Al/David (hopefully collectively) are against any association with Trump, and someone made a call to correct it. The correction happened quickly enough that it makes me think somebody who could pull strings was steadfastly against their association, as opposed to a mere innocuous update to reflect the current lineup. Here's to this correction being a glimmer of hope that Mike is going to eventually be isolated and frozen out of being able to drag the band name down with this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:41:21 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 02:44:31 PM »

I hope they do it. They have played for other political events before, so why not? Had it been Hilary though, I would say no! But I guess the left might find having an opinion hurtful.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »

But I guess the left might find having an opinion hurtful.

Not anymore than the right finding others not agreeing with them hurtful.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »

If they do, they do.  If they don't, they don't.  It's their choice. 

At this point, I really don't see it having an effect on the legacy. 

Well, I don't know. In this case it goes beyond that. It's about doing the right thing (or not doing). It has to do with responsibility not only of what the Beach Boys' name and brand means to people but also responsibility of all the members' of the Beach Boys personal legacy as such an appearance (in contrast to a touring show) would be a representation of all it's individuals - that includes not only Brian and Al but also Dennis and Carl. This is a political statement. It's not like they would be playing for just another candidate of the republican party (it's not about the democratic or republican side) but in this case it means getting into the coattail of a racist and homophobic. This sends out a message - and the message is that the Beach Boys are supporting what this person stands for..... and/or don't care a sh!t about ethics as long as they get some money (and we know that there's some truth in that when it comes to the Beach Boys)

And I wonder how authentic Mike and Bruce's care for the environment would come across after kissing a climate change denier's a$$.

I know Mike and Trump have a kinda similar personality in that they are both a.o. narcissistic p*ssy-grabers. But still, Mike should be way above of a Donald Trump; way above. Where's the harmony man...?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »

I can already see computer programmers developing algorithms to extract and remove Mike Love's voice from all BB recordings. That's the endgame of where this is headed. Fights will break out at ballgames if BB songs with Mike Love lead vocals are played. It's incalculable how far the divisiveness will go if this happens.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »

With all the negative press ( bullying ) they'd get from our "fair and impartial media" , they probably should not play.

Playing at the inaugural shouldn't imply you support all his proposed policies or the offensive things Trump said on the access Hollywood tape. ( or other misguided statements during the campaign)

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »

I voted 'No' in the other thread about this, but I didn't explain why. I simply don't like when musicians (or other celebrities) become overtly political nor do I think it is (generally) in their best interest. It's one thing to answer a direct question or write a politically charged song, but it's another to actively support or campaign for an individual. Sure, they've got the right to, but I don't have to like it. That's not why I love music.

With that said, I can separate an individual from their art. The BBs created timeless music. Any negative effect on the BBs brand will most likely disappear by the time Trump leaves office. Does anyone really think that 25 years from now someone will hear God Only Knows and think "ugh too bad they played that inauguration, it would be a beautiful song otherwise" ? Chances are they wouldn't even be able to name anyone who performed (at Trump's inauguration or any other past inauguration).

Playing at the inaugural shouldn't imply you support all his proposed policies or the offensive things Trump said on the access Hollywood tape. ( or other misguided statements during the campaign)

Agreed. Has there ever been a free thinking person who agreed with anyone else entirely? Some people respect the office and would have a difficult time turning down the White House. Still, if it were me, I'd decline quietly and respectfully.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 03:56:53 PM »

If they have been invited, I don't think in a refusal will be in the offing.

I just can't see Mike turning it down.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »

Considering everything that’s happened in the past year, feel like this could really go either way, which is scary. I don’t see this at all as good for the BBs’ brand—even just the news of the invite. They could easily become a punching bag on social media like Scott Baio. Plus, it really doesn’t help the bad rap Mike gets from people guessing his politics.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx