gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:50:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard: "Beach Boys" Considering Invitation to Perform at Trump Inauguration  (Read 109812 times)
KDS
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »

There are plenty of musicians way more divisive who've had no trouble.  

Not sure what examples you are thinking of (please inform me of who, in the event that I'm missing something), but I'm quite confident no entertainer has ever been involved on such a high profile level with someone more divisive to entire populations of people, genders, minorities, on such a high profile as this. It's completely unprecedented.

Ted Nugent comes to mind.  Not only does Nugent support Trump, but he is extremely vocal about his conservative views, and is hated by a large amount of people. 

But, his songs are still a staple on classic rock radio, and has very little trouble selling tickets.  He even has a basic cable TV show (I'm not 100% certain that its still on the air, but it's been on very recently). 

Unlike Uncle Ted, The Beach Boys are not very vocal about their views.   They'd just be playing a bipartisan event to celebrate the Inauguration of the 45th POTUS.  It's not like Mike, Bruce, and his band will be hitting stages across America with huge Make America Great Again banners behind them. 

How about Ice T?  He wrote a song called "Cop Killer," and had NRA/FOP protesting at his shows and Warner Brother sanctioned events.   But, he has had a very successful career.  Now, he plays a cop on television and shows up in Geico commercials. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »

Not sure what examples you are thinking of (please inform me of who, in the event that I'm missing something), but I'm quite confident no entertainer has ever been involved on such a high profile level with someone more divisive to entire populations of people, genders, minorities, on such a high profile as this. It's completely unprecedented.

Ted Nugent comes to mind.  Not only does Nugent support Trump, but he is extremely vocal about his conservative views, and is hated by a large amount of people.  

But, his songs are still a staple on classic rock radio, and has very little trouble selling tickets.  He even has a basic cable TV show (I'm not 100% certain that its still on the air, but it's been on very recently).  

Unlike Uncle Ted, The Beach Boys are not very vocal about their views.   They'd just be playing a bipartisan event to celebrate the Inauguration of the 45th POTUS.  It's not like Mike, Bruce, and his band will be hitting stages across America with huge Make America Great Again banners behind them.  

How about Ice T?  He wrote a song called "Cop Killer," and had NRA/FOP protesting at his shows and Warner Brother sanctioned events.   But, he has had a very successful career.  Now, he plays a cop on television and shows up in Geico commercials.  

As I said, I don't forsee every BB song licensing opportunity drying up overnight. Just that there will be people who will steer clear. At least for a time.

The flipside of this is that you also have someone like Gary Glitter:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/legal-and-management/6273999/why-convicted-child-sex-offender-gary-glitters-hey

Mike didn't do what Gary did, but Mike is supporting someone who arguably did (or bragged about doing/being able to do) things that many people consider to be in the ballpark of disgusting as Glitter. Not involving kids, but assault is assault. It's a terrible, terrible, toxic connection to have. Sex assault connections (even indirect) are worse than the stuff you mentioned.

Plus, with regard to Nugent for example, we'll never know how much he may have lost out on with regards to music placement. That stuff happens silently.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:33:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »

Ted Nugent comes to mind.  Not only does Nugent support Trump, but he is extremely vocal about his conservative views, and is hated by a large amount of people. 

But, his songs are still a staple on classic rock radio, and has very little trouble selling tickets.  He even has a basic cable TV show (I'm not 100% certain that its still on the air, but it's been on very recently). 

Unlike Uncle Ted, The Beach Boys are not very vocal about their views.   They'd just be playing a bipartisan event to celebrate the Inauguration of the 45th POTUS.  It's not like Mike, Bruce, and his band will be hitting stages across America with huge Make America Great Again banners behind them. 

How about Ice T?  He wrote a song called "Cop Killer," and had NRA/FOP protesting at his shows and Warner Brother sanctioned events.   But, he has had a very successful career.  Now, he plays a cop on television and shows up in Geico commercials. 

As I said, I don't forsee every BB song licensing opportunity drying up overnight. Just that there will be people who will steer clear. At least for a time.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/legal-and-management/6273999/why-convicted-child-sex-offender-gary-glitters-hey

Mike didn't do what Gary did, but Mike is supporting someone who arguably did (or bragged about doing) things that many people consider to be in the ballpark of disgusting as Glitter. Not involving kids, but assault is assault. It's not a good connection to have.

Comparing an off color comment made in (seemingly) private to child molestation is the kind of hysteria I'm referring to.

Speaking of which, Dave Holland appeared on six Judas Priest albums from 1980-88, three of them are regarded as classics.  He was put in jail for the same awful thing Gary Glitter was, and you know what?  Those albums still sell. 

Phil Spector killed a woman.  His work is still revered to this day. 

If artist can succeed in the aftermath of murder and child molestation, then The Beach Boys will survive playing at the Inauguration of the POTUS, an elected official, supported by over 60M Americans. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »

Ted Nugent comes to mind.  Not only does Nugent support Trump, but he is extremely vocal about his conservative views, and is hated by a large amount of people.  

But, his songs are still a staple on classic rock radio, and has very little trouble selling tickets.  He even has a basic cable TV show (I'm not 100% certain that its still on the air, but it's been on very recently).  

Unlike Uncle Ted, The Beach Boys are not very vocal about their views.   They'd just be playing a bipartisan event to celebrate the Inauguration of the 45th POTUS.  It's not like Mike, Bruce, and his band will be hitting stages across America with huge Make America Great Again banners behind them.  

How about Ice T?  He wrote a song called "Cop Killer," and had NRA/FOP protesting at his shows and Warner Brother sanctioned events.   But, he has had a very successful career.  Now, he plays a cop on television and shows up in Geico commercials.  

Mike didn't do what Gary did, but Mike is supporting someone who arguably did (or bragged about doing) things that many people consider to be in the ballpark of disgusting as Glitter. Not involving kids, but assault is assault. It's not a good connection to have.

Comparing an off color comment made in (seemingly) private to child molestation is the kind of hysteria I'm referring to.

Speaking of which, Dave Holland appeared on six Judas Priest albums from 1980-88, three of them are regarded as classics.  He was put in jail for the same awful thing Gary Glitter was, and you know what?  Those albums still sell.  

Phil Spector killed a woman.  His work is still revered to this day.  

If artist can succeed in the aftermath of murder and child molestation, then The Beach Boys will survive playing at the Inauguration of the POTUS, an elected official, supported by over 60M Americans.  

Never said the brand would not "survive" it, but it will absolutely hurt them. That is inarguable. I personally know people who are over the band as a result of this. Or at least over Mike Love in particular. Real, actual people. You can call them all the names you want, but they exist.

Get ready for the Man Vs. Clown merch booth.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:41:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #479 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »

Speaking of which, Dave Holland appeared on six Judas Priest albums from 1980-88, three of them are regarded as classics.  He was put in jail for the same awful thing Gary Glitter was, and you know what?  Those albums still sell.  

Never said the brand would not "survive" it, but it will absolutely hurt them. That is inarguable. I personally know people who are over the band as a result of this. Or at least over Mike Love in particular. Real, actual people. You can call them all the names you want, but they exist.

There were people who were "done" with Mike well before this happened, and they seem to be the ones making the most noise on here, other boards, and social media. 

And if there are people who are "done" with The Beach Boys as a whole, meaning they will no longer listen to the music, buy the albums, or go to shows by either band, well, they're cutting off their nose to spite their face. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 12, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »

There were people who were "done" with Mike well before this happened, and they seem to be the ones making the most noise on here, other boards, and social media.  

And if there are people who are "done" with The Beach Boys as a whole, meaning they will no longer listen to the music, buy the albums, or go to shows by either band, well, they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.  

Well yeah, I'm not arguing with you on that. But that doesn't mean that it's still not a thing. We can agree that it's unfortunate.  

Regarding Phil... Phil Spector is the producer, but most of the public thinks of The Ronettes, The Righteous Brothers, etc, instead of Phil (who wasn't the lead singer). Nor was Dave Holland THE public face of his band.

How many Jewish directors hired Mel Gibson in the decade following his outburst? Not saying Mike did what Mel did, but people in power who are members of disenfranchised groups will hold grudges, and those groups largely "own" Hollywood (words of many Republicans).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:45:29 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #481 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »

Well yeah, I'm not arguing with you on that. But that doesn't mean that it's still not a thing. We can agree that it's unfortunate.  

Regarding Phil... Phil Spector is the producer, but most of the public thinks of The Ronettes, The Righteous Brothers, etc, instead of Phil (who wasn't the lead singer). Nor was Dave Holland THE public face of his band.

How many Jewish directors hired Mel Gibson in the decade following his outburst? Not saying Mike did what Mel did, but people of disenfranchised groups will hold grudges, and those groups largely "own" Hollywood (words of many Republicans).

Fair enough.  I find it unfortunate that fans would knowingly abandon a band they love over something like this. 

Yes, Spector is a producer, but he's also the only producer I know of who got his own "The Essential......" collection.  And Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift for You is still regarded as an iconic Christmas album. 
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »

Mike just draws hate  Grin Like flies to a pile of cow dung
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 12, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »

It's a love thang.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »

It's a love thang.

Now, THAT (the song Summer of Love) was something to be upset about. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »

I wonder what Rocky thinks of all this? My money's on Rocky supporting Trump, yet he despises Mike. What an ethical conundrum this must be for the Rockster.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:26:19 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »

Not to get sidetracked (although this actually brings it back around to the Beach Boys), but I wouldn't say Ted Nugent is a good analog to the Beach Boys in much of any way.

He's arguably *more famous* for his political and social views now than he is for his music. He'd probably be long forgotten if he hadn't start ranting and raving and running around with crossbows and dead animal carcasses and all of that. Ask a random person to name a Ted Nugent song. Maybe they'll come up with "Cat Scratch Fever", MAYBE, and then likely nothing else.

At this point, *not* supporting Trump would go against Nugent's branding and image. I mean that literally. He's one of the only entertainers where a PR person might justifiably tell him he'd be killing his "image" by repudiating Trump.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »

Has nothing to do with the conversation really, but a Bruce Springsteen tribute act is playing the inauguration now. You could say it's a brilliant disguise.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »

Just send these guys there and hopefully nobody will notice:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »

Or just send this tribute band, there's 10 of them, so they'll get even more bang for their buck:

Or maybe these guys:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:46:23 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sViFyIQR0XI

If you watch this, stick around for the ending.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:53:43 AM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 12, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »

Or just send this tribute band, there's 10 of them, so they'll get even more bang for their buck:

Or maybe these guys:

Whatever happens, no way Stamos is gonna be there.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »

Whatever happens, no way Stamos is gonna be there.

Every cloud has a silver lining..... Grin
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:03 PM »

Just felt this needed to be quoted again. I'm tired of seeing "But Trump brags about sexually assaulting women!!!" comments.

Also, and I approach this subject with a certain degree of caution, as someone made many people go nuts by posting a similar comment in the thread in which Steve Desper had simply made an interesting observation about the similarities between Trump's and the Beach Boys's shows: consider Dennis Wilson.

A man who hung out with Charles Manson, repeatedly made racist comments (see the Gaines book), once snuck into a morgue to push in the nose of a corpse (see Mike's book), had a baby with his cousin's alleged daughter, used and abused drugs, had sex with a prostitute so he could record it on tape, and the list goes on.

And yet I see nothing but praise for his work, especially on this very messageboard.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:48:06 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
KDS
« Reply #494 on: January 12, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »

Just felt this needed to be quoted again. I'm tired of seeing "But Trump brags about sexually assaulting women!!!" comments.

Also, and I approach this subject with a certain degree of caution, as someone made many people go nuts by posting a similar comment in the thread in which Steve Desper had simply made an interesting observation about the similarities between Trump's and the Beach Boys's shows: consider Dennis Wilson.

A man who hung out with Charles Manson, repeatedly made racist comments (see the Gaines book), once snuck into a morgue to push in the nose of a corpse (see Mike's book), had a baby with his cousin's alleged daughter, used and abused drugs, had sex with a prostitute so he could record it on tape, and the list goes on.

And yet I see nothing but praise for his work, especially on this very messageboard.

Exactly.  I still fail to see how a band who, when they were still an active recording band relying on record sales, associated with Manson and even released a song co-written by him, and managed to survive another 40+ years in the industry.   But, this is going to break them. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

Exactly.  I still fail to see how a band who, when they were still an active recording band relying on record sales, associated with Manson and even released a song co-written by him, and managed to survive another 40+ years in the industry.   But, this is going to break them. 

All of that happened before they knew anything about who Manson was. They didn't say a peep of anything good about the man after the awful truth came out. Completely different.
KDS
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

All of that happened before they knew anything about who Manson was. They didn't say a peep of anything good about the man after the awful truth came out. Completely different.

I know that.  You know that.  Most on this board know that. 

But, most people just have vague knowledge of the fact that The Beach Boys associated with Manson.

Not trying to throw Dennis under the bus, but what's your response to what SloopJohnB said about him? 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

Denny also apparently did a ton of things that would be termed as incredibly selfless, from the heart, and many people who knew him praise him as having been a genuinely good + incredibly generous person despite his flaws. There's lots of good to counteract the bad.  The fact that both his cousin and the man his cousin supports don't get the same degree of "free passes" is intrinsically related to the lack of similar positive attributes that they both exhibit, by comparison. Plus, Mike has gotten worse and worse and worse over the last several decades, whereas Denny bowed out much earlier.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:09:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »

I know that.  You know that.  Most on this board know that.  

But, most people just have vague knowledge of the fact that The Beach Boys associated with Manson.

When people find out that the person associated with Manson held such guilt for that association that it may have been a contributing factor leading to him drinking himself to an early grave, well that gives him brownie points too in the court of public opinion. It's friggin' tragic and something that gets him considerable empathy. There is no contest whatsoever why there is a widespread lack of empathy for Mike and Trump. If Mike had drank himself to death out of guilt for shunning Shawn, then maybe people might start to have a different idea about him.
KDS
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »

Denny also apparently did a ton of things that would be termed as incredibly selfless, from the heart, and many people who knew him praise him as having been a good person despite his flaws. There's lots of good to counteract the bad.  The fact that both his cousin and the man his cousin supports don't get the same degree of "free passes" is intrinsically related to the lack of similar positive attributes that they both exhibit, by comparison. Plus, Mike has gotten worse and worse and worse over the last several decades, whereas Denny bowed out much earlier.

There's plenty of good in Trump to counteract the bad also, same with Mike, despite what their detractors will tell you.  

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx