gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:40:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Talk Tracks" Topic  (Read 1233 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:34:10 AM »

The three talk tracks on Shut Down, Volume 2, All Summer Long and Today! tend to get a lot of flak thrown at them but this has always been en passant, when discussing the album in question or during fan rearrangements of albums. Hence this topic. I feel I can justify all three (yes, even the Mike--Brian feud):

"'Cassius' Love Vs 'Sonny' Wilson"
It took me a while to realize that back in March '64 this track was just about the only way Alan fans were going to hear him say more than just his name in some group interview.

"Our Favorite Recording Sessions" 
The note Brian forgot is the first one to be heard in the next track, "Don't Back Down".

"Bull Session With 'Big Daddy'"
I know this is debatable but I feel there's no way you could follow Dennis's utterly unique "ITBOMM" with another song, or even an instrumental. On the other hand, you can't just leave it dangling there...

Your turn.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:04:33 AM »

The three talk tracks on Shut Down, Volume 2, All Summer Long and Today! tend to get a lot of flak thrown at them but this has always been en passant, when discussing the album in question or during fan rearrangements of albums. Hence this topic. I feel I can justify all three (yes, even the Mike--Brian feud):

It took me a while to realize that back in March '64 this track was just about the only way Alan fans were going to hear him say more than just his name in some group interview.

The note Brian forgot is the first one to be heard in the next track, "Don't Back Down".

I know this is debatable but I feel there's no way you could follow Dennis's utterly unique "ITBOMM" with another song, or even an instrumental. On the other hand, you can't just leave it dangling there...

Your turn.

In my view, both "Bull Session" and especially "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" are worthy items. A lot of people get very stuck up about them breaking up the "artistic integrity" of the albums they're on, but let's get real. Albums are artworks, but they're also entertainment. And "Our Favorite Recording Sessions," in particular, is very entertaining -- as entertaining as any pop song. I never skip it when listening to ASL. I don't know how much of it is scripted or hammed up for the tape recorder, but much of the byplay feels natural and human, and I love the way it pulls back the curtain on the recording process (the "forgot my note" part especially -- and you're right to point out the brilliance of that transition to "Don't Back Down," which must have been on purpose).

I also enjoy "Bull Session," although I can't pretend I listen to it every time. I should say, it does leave me craving a hamburger and fries.

The only one of these tracks I don't get consistent enjoyment out of is the forced skit "Cassius Love." The guys' acting isn't too convincing, and the tantalizing song snippets are performed in a rather perfunctory fashion except for "Farmer's Daughter" (my first exposure to that song).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:05:40 AM by maggie » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

Your turn.

In my view, both "Bull Session" and especially "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" are worthy items. A lot of people get very stuck up about them breaking up the "artistic integrity" of the albums they're on, but let's get real. Albums are artworks, but they're also entertainment. And "Our Favorite Recording Sessions," in particular, is very entertaining -- as entertaining as any pop song. I never skip it when listening to ASL. I don't know how much of it is scripted or hammed up for the tape recorder, but much of the byplay feels natural and human, and I love the way it pulls back the curtain on the recording process (the "forgot my note" part especially -- and you're right to point out the brilliance of that transition to "Don't Back Down," which must have been on purpose).

I also enjoy "Bull Session," although I can't pretend I listen to it every time. I should say, it does leave me craving a hamburger and fries.

The only one of these tracks I don't get consistent enjoyment out of is the forced skit "Cassius Love." The guys' acting isn't too convincing, and the tantalizing song snippets are performed in a rather perfunctory fashion except for "Farmer's Daughter" (my first exposure to that song).

The only one of the three I really enjoy is the Cassius Love Vs. Sonny Wilson sketch. The others were kind of amusing the first couple of times I heard them, but I do find they mar the overall the flow of the albums. CL vs SW interrupts the album flow too, but I never seem to mind as much with that one. I guess the difference is intent - it was made to go on the album, whereas the others just seem like filler. More personality, or something. I definitely learned more about group dynamics from CL vs SW, plus it makes me laugh.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »

The one saving grace of Bull Session is that its tacked on at the end of the Today album. 

I know album sequencing wasn't really a thing back then, but I think the other talk tracks should've also been relegated to the end.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:55 AM »

The only one of the three I really enjoy is the Cassius Love Vs. Sonny Wilson sketch. The others were kind of amusing the first couple of times I heard them, but I do find they mar the overall the flow of the albums. CL vs SW interrupts the album flow too, but I never seem to mind as much with that one. I guess the difference is intent - it was made to go on the album, whereas the others just seem like filler. More personality, or something. I definitely learned more about group dynamics from CL vs SW, plus it makes me laugh.
You nailed. It's the best talk track, it's cool to hear Al (like john said) & it's funny. I definitely don't expect musicians to show "convincing acting", they did it for laughs. "Bull Sessions" is boring, plain & simple. You literally must slap the face to stay conscious during it. Ditto "Favorite sessions".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx