-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Singing Beach Boy songs will get you ARRESTED
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Singing Beach Boy songs will get you ARRESTED  (Read 19184 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »

It does sound like there's more than meets the eye to this story. 

If the sole reason that this prof got in trouble was for his performance / parody of California Girls, then that's pretty sad.

But, if he's trying to use the California Girls as a smokescreen for something more sinister, well, that's even sadder. 

Bill Ed
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »

California Girls is addressed in the university's letter:

http://interactives.courier-journal.com/graphics/Ryan%20letter%20redacted.pdf

The school includes his singing a version of the song as part of its case against him. It is understandable that the professor wants to focus on a facet of the university's case which some of us find ridiculous. (If this board gives any indication, it appears that many do not.)

What disturbs me a bit is that I've seen this sort of outcome before in academia. Someone is charged with misconduct sufficient for dismissal, but the accused party is neither terminated nor exonerated.

WestCoastSurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »

The school includes his singing a version of the song as part of its case against him. It is understandable that the professor wants to focus on a facet of the university's case which some of us find ridiculous. (If this board gives any indication, it appears that many do not.)

What disturbs me a bit is that I've seen this sort of outcome before in academia. Someone is charged with misconduct sufficient for dismissal, but the accused party is neither terminated nor exonerated.

So let me get this straight.  This professor sings a song (in this case he choose California Girls but could have been any song) and changes one word, "California"  to compliment the females of a certain Chinese City -- and for this he looses his retirement and travel privileges?  This is not the America I grew up in.

And Emily, Trump is called President-Elect because he was elected under our system of election laws. He is not president-appointed Trump.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »

Did you even read about the  part with the guy fondling people? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »

Did you even read about the  part with the guy fondling people? Roll Eyes

Yeah that's kind of a key point...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »

I've read Ms. Bender's letter, or what there is of it to read. I conjecture that at least of the following is true:

1. The professor is a lecherous clown who has no business being in his profession. And of equal import to his detractors, he caused great embarrassment and deep concern to them by singing a version of California Girls. (And in public at that!) Under this scenario, I think their complaint about the song is a striking example of political correctness. 

2. Some of the professor's colleagues don't care for him at all and wish to damage his career, and probably to be rid of him. That they cite his performance of California Girls as provoking deep concern and embarrassment is again a clear case of political correctness, even if its main purpose is to achieve their goal of bringing harm to him.   

And my candidate won the election.

Just get over yourselves! Smiley

Now, off the the Sandbox we go!

I'm pretty sure that your response has been the politically correct response for quite a while now, thus the appointment of Trump.
As your conjectures are not well supported, they say more about you (you are looking for ways to be offended) than about anyone involved in the professor's case.

The term "politically correct" has a well-defined meaning. According to Merriam-Webster: conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated.

I realize that the term has been used to great effect by the political right and that members of the left have tried to appropriate the term for their own uses. ("Deplorable" didn't quite catch on, but keep trying.) The fact that Candidate A prevails over Candidate B is not an indication that support for Candidate A is a politically correct position.
H
My conjecture about the professor's troubles is labeled as, well, conjecture. My only point, if it can even be called that, is that it appears that political correctness does play a role in this case.

Emily, your response is an opinion. It is rendered with an air of certainty in the absence of any argument to support your contention that I must spend my time looking for reasons to be offended.

And this offends me deeply.

The outrage expressed by you and the OP fits the definition you've provided quite well. Basically, you've expressed that language and practices that offend your political sensibilities should be eliminated. It takes no "appropriation" to apply this to the constant offense expressed on the right over things that people on the left do or say. Many on the right voted for a president expressly because they want language and practices that offend their political sensibilities eliminated.
And, btw, the US right did not coin the term in the 1990s to apply to the US left. They adopted it. It's been used in different places at different times to apply to different political correctnesses.

Given that you chose an interpretation that offends you when there are better supported inoffensive interpretations available, what am I to conclude?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »

So let me get this straight.  This professor sings a song (in this case he choose California Girls but could have been any song) and changes one word, "California"  to compliment the females of a certain Chinese City -- and for this he looses his retirement and travel privileges?  This is not the America I grew up in.

You don't have it straight yet, other than the part about the country changing (inevitable and generally positive). The song is a piece of the problem, not the whole problem. People focus on it because, as HeyJude said, that's the eye-catching and least supported part, the part likely to raise hackles. It's click bait intended to make people say "this isn't the America I grew up in."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 04:22:12 PM »

So let me get this straight.  This professor sings a song (in this case he choose California Girls but could have been any song) and changes one word, "California"  to compliment the females of a certain Chinese City -- and for this he looses his retirement and travel privileges?  This is not the America I grew up in.

And Emily, Trump is called President-Elect because he was elected under our system of election laws. He is not president-appointed Trump.
I dare say that if any other country had a few hundred people select a president for a population of a few hundred million, we wouldn't call it an election.
And the "one word" thing was not specified.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:23:09 PM by Emily » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »

Funny how "anti-pc" people are the most sensitive of all!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »

Of course!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »

I'm surprised he wasn't singing "Hey Little Tomboy"!
SJW's would probably want special tomboy bathrooms in public schools  , "safe spaces" where they can shave their legs ...  Roll Eyes

Wow....offensive much?!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »

And yeah, this belongs in the Sandbox. Actually, belongs in a litter box...

WestCoastSurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2016, 06:37:30 AM »

So let me get this straight.  This professor sings a song (in this case he choose California Girls but could have been any song) and changes one word, "California"  to compliment the females of a certain Chinese City -- and for this he looses his retirement and travel privileges?  This is not the America I grew up in.

I dare say that if any other country had a few hundred people select a president for a population of a few hundred million, we wouldn't call it an election.
The few hundred people, or The Electrorial Collage, is part of the Representative Republic form of government in the USA. We have been electing leaders like this for several hundred years. If you don't agree with this part of the US Constitution, there are methods in place to change the law, but otherwise you should learn why we have the Electroial interface and not a direct popular election.
The word that was changed was California, according to what I read. The articles did not say "one word" but only made reference to a word change. Maybe there were other words changed, but only the one word - california - was noted. 
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »

Several hundred years?

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »

The few hundred people, or The Electrorial Collage, is part of the Representative Republic form of government in the USA. We have been electing leaders like this for several hundred years. If you don't agree with this part of the US Constitution, there are methods in place to change the law, but otherwise you should learn why we have the Electroial interface and not a direct popular election.
The word that was changed was California, according to what I read. The articles did not say "one word" but only made reference to a word change. Maybe there were other words changed, but only the one word - california - was noted. 
Really? Gee. I AM going to have to learn all about this electorial collage thing. I never knew. Thanks for edumacatin me!
Seems like in representative republics, the representatives would, by definition, have to be selected by the people they represent, not a few hundred other people. Whoops! Looks like we're not a representative republic after all! Silly us.

For someone so gosh dang smart, you sure don't read good:
"During the closing ceremony, Ryan says, he sang his own version of 'California Girls' to portray 'the many differences in Chinese and American culture.' One of the lines, for example, was, 'Well Shanghai girls..."
WestCoastSurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 06:07:50 PM »

Really? Gee. I AM going to have to learn all about this electorial collage thing. I never knew. Thanks for edumacatin me!
Seems like in representative republics, the representatives would, by definition, have to be selected by the people they represent, not a few hundred other people. Whoops! Looks like we're not a representative republic after all! Silly us.

For someone so gosh dang smart, you sure don't read good:
"During the closing ceremony, Ryan says, he sang his own version of 'California Girls' to portray 'the many differences in Chinese and American culture.' One of the lines, for example, was, 'Well Shanghai girls..."
F.Y.I.
https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/about.html
https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/electors.html
http://www.history.com/topics/electoral-college
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 03:21:25 AM »

Gosh mister. I can't read all them big words. Why's it called a collage?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:25:41 AM by Emily » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2016, 05:25:17 AM »

I think we found the next fildeplage.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2016, 05:41:58 AM »

The captain does a better job though. Grin

Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »

it's this kind of crap that happens when sheeple follow and praise libturds. same result every time.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »

Same thing with the right wing bigots

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 05:36:21 AM »

My two-year-old granddaughter likes playing with smartphones. One of the videos on ours is a sneaky one of a quartet from Mike's Beach Boys singing "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring", taken at a recent concert. Yesterday, she found the vid (for the umpteenth time) and sang along with the first few notes! Do you think she'll be arrested?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:41:08 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59:24 AM »

No.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 06:57:07 AM »

That's a relief.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: