-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Singing Beach Boy songs will get you ARRESTED
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Singing Beach Boy songs will get you ARRESTED  (Read 19182 times)
WestCoastSurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »

Political Correctness is out of control when the California fantasy of Beach Boy fame is called sexual misconduct and leads to the loss of award money and travel privliges for the Professor who sang Mike Love's lyrics.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2016/12/18/he-sang-girls/

and

http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/19/public-university-punishes-professor-for-sex-crime-because-he-sang-a-beach-boys-song/

and

http://www.zipdialog.com/12/18/2016/wish-california-girls-phrases-deemed-sexual-harassment/

or google "Kentucky University, Beach Boys, California Girls" for more articles

I never thought I'd see this happen in my country. This is not the America I grew up in.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »

lol thats insane

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »

he must've sang pretty bad
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:10:05 PM »

Seems some of the stories are sourced from the guy's own Op-Ed piece, which is obviously one side of the story.

Not only did the guy change the words to the song (his "new" words don't appear to have been reproduced anywhere from what I can tell), but this article from the Washington Post mentions some details that may be closer to the cause of all of this, which would mean having little to nothing to do with the BB song:

The letter from Patty Bender, the school’s assistant vice president for equal opportunity, states that Ryan’s behavior during the trip also involved “inappropriate touching” of students and use of sexual language. The professor is not suspected of having a sexual relationship with a student. What, specifically he’s accused of doing is unclear, as several details have been redacted from the letter, which was recently made public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/12/19/a-kentucky-professor-says-singing-a-beach-boys-song-got-him-in-trouble-for-sexual-misconduct-allegations/?utm_term=.560d66b7e25f

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »

thanx jude errt.......sandbox anyone ?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »

yeesh... Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »

Looks like the internet outrage machine is running with this story without validating it, as ever. Does the world have to be on fire before people will learn to validate what they read before they get outraged by it, spread it, and choose presidents over it?
I don't know what America you grew up in, but it probably relegated stories like this to the National Enquirer where most people would have ignored it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:18:46 PM by Emily » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »

Looks like the internet outrage machine is running with this story without validating it, as ever. Does the world have to be on fire before people will learn to validate what they read before they get outraged by it, spread it, and choose presidents over it?
I don't know what America you grew up in, but it probably relegated stories like this to the National Enquirer where most people would have ignored it.

Let's not forget that people who complain about political correctness appear to be the most easily offended people so odds are they are not going to be validating stories that allow them to have these kinds of knee-jerk reactions.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 03:15:09 PM »

DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT BEFORE LEAVING OFFICE OBAMA IS GOING TO ROUND UP AND INCARCERATE--OR KILL!!!!!!!--ALL BEACH BOYS FANS!?!?!?*

Shocked Shocked Jedi Duel Jedi Duel Jedi Duel Jedi Duel Time to take a stand, guys. This is getting SERIOUS.

*Source: I think I heard something vaguely similar to something that reminded me of something else like this that I saw on the internet. Texas may have been involved. TELL YOUR FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK ASAP. We need to make America great again. This has gone too far.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »

Can the Captain be an honored guest? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:24:12 PM »

I'm surprised he wasn't singing "Hey Little Tomboy"!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »

Grin

Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:48 PM »

I'm surprised he wasn't singing "Hey Little Tomboy"!
SJW's would probably want special tomboy bathrooms in public schools  , "safe spaces" where they can shave their legs ...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:59:28 PM by bigsurdrifter » Logged
Bill Ed
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:44 PM »

There seems to be an implication that the professor is claiming that his problems relate solely to his rendition of California Girls. He has written the following:

The University of Kentucky has punished me in a “sexual misconduct” case, in part, for singing a Beach Boys tune covered by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Of course I have added the emphasis.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:31 PM »

Could've been worse...he coulda sung Somewhere Near Japan!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:38:14 PM by rn57 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 04:04:31 AM »

There seems to be an implication that the professor is claiming that his problems relate solely to his rendition of California Girls. He has written the following:

The University of Kentucky has punished me in a “sexual misconduct” case, in part, for singing a Beach Boys tune covered by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Of course I have added the emphasis.

And he managed to leave out the other parts. This is how that media operates. They leave out the key information so unthinking supremacists can get all outraged (see above). Go read the hundreds of postings and thousands of comments. The entire right is now up in arms due to this intentional misinformation.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:54:05 AM by Emily » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 05:25:30 AM »

The actually relevant part from the Daily Caller report, reporting a statement by university spokesperson Jay Blanton:

"Professor Ryan traveled in 2015 to China with other faculty. These faculty members complained — and had deep concerns — about his conduct. Two universities that partner with UK — Shanghai and Jilin — also have complained about Professor Ryan. Our Title IX office investigated the complaints at length, interviewed Professor Ryan as part of the investigation, and the faculty who accompanied him. The faculty were unanimous in their complaints and their concerns, in which a preponderance of evidence concluded that he engaged in ‘inappropriate touching’ and ‘language of a sexual nature.’ And that’s from the un-redacted portions of the letter. The letter has redactions as part of our responsibility to protect the privacy and confidentiality of the victim.”

On Monday morning, Blanton told TheDC, the University of Kentucky “offered to release all the records in this case, if Professor Ryan would agree to waive any privacy rights or concerns. He declined.”

Of course, it's not exactly a breaking news story that the kind of people who have put Donald Trump in the White House (see above) will believe literally anything at all.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:49 AM »

[Clears throat … dramatic pause … and begin.]

Emily, a professor at the taxpayer-funded University of Kentucky was punished in a typical example of bureaucratic rigmarole, something with which I have witnessed myself, as have many others. This is why people are fleeing the Democrat Party in droves because they are tired of the corrupt Clinton-Soros machine; see Wiki Leaks for many examples of this. Let’s not forget Hillary was brought up a Republican. Can tigers change their stripes? Wink

I do not post here to litigate point-for-point, but to share information. This is a message board. We can disagree without being disagreeable. You can’t pull the “wool” over the eyes of Americans! Wink One source cited above indicates that this professor committed sexual misconduct simply by singing “California Girls.” Times have changes and sensibilities have evolved—not always for the better! Wink – but the Beach Boys are a classic American band. They sang about what they saw. As young men in California, this naturally included “California Girls.” There is something wrong with our country when a classic song warrants discipline.

You continue to use “blanket statements” to define large groups of people. “Unthinking supremacists?” Our country was founded on individual rights and liberties, as referenced in the Declaration of Independence (1776) and the Bill of Rights (ratified as Amendments in 1791). These concepts have a long history, predating the modern “Social Justice Warrior” progressive concepts by quite some time. One can trace the concepts to the Magna Carta (1215). I recommend you read some history. You just might learn something. Wink

One of the links cited above is from The Daily Caller, a legitimate journalistic institution founded by stellar journalists such as Tucker Carlson, who has worked for such diverse media outlets as FoxNews, CNN, and MSNBC. You may consider this an “alternative news source” and discredit it because it does not align with your worldview. You may not like his “conservative worldview,” but you cannot argue his professionalism, which demonstrates a commitment to reporting the truth as he sees it, unlike the corrupt mainstream media. Sites like the Daily Caller are the meat and potatoes of the grassroots political world.

The Daily Caller presents the news in a straightforward way that grassroots American citizens who are tired of the corrupt Clinton-Soros media machine can understand, unlike the “mainstream” political media operative, which is in the pockets of the DNC (see: Assange, Wiki Leaks, Podesta emails, et cetera). The reporting is not “hyperbolic” but rather quite straightforward and factual. For example, some of their headlines include:
·         “The Ultimate Danger” – CNN Uses Germany Attack to Bash the Right
·         “You’re Wrong, Or You’re Lying!” Tempers Flare on “Tucker Carlson Tonight”
·         We Found 15 Celebs Who Threatened to Leave After Trump’s Win – Guess Where They Are!
·         This Photo of Britney Spears Doing an Upside Down Split Is the Greatest Thing on the Internet
·         Victoria’s Secret Model Elsa Hosk Takes it All Off in French Magazine [PHOTOS]

You may choose to discredit this news outlet, but the “People” are intelligent enough to make up their own minds, they do not need the liberal elites “telling them what to do.” As we saw this election cycle, when they chose straight talk over corrupt Washington double-speak. Wink We do not need you or others weighing in on “details” of this instance: that is for the People to decide based on evidence from the sources they trust most. We do not need lectures. For a professor to be disciplined because he sang a classic song beloved by many is the epitome of absurdity. We are fed up. I recommend that you read the story with an “open mind.” Others have provided links above.

I do not appreciate being called a “white supremacist.” There is no reason to resort to name-calling, as we are simply discussing this particular incident at the University of Kentucky. There is no place for allegations here, you do not know whether people are “racist” in their hearts. This is especially harmful in Kentucky, where for example earlier this year a state representative, Dan Johnson (R) posted to Facebook edited images of President and First Lady Obama with ape-like features, and a photo of a chimpanzee a baby picture of the president. When there is such a partisan divide and high tensions just because people are obviously, blatantly racist, it is inappropriate to call people racists. Rep. Johnson clearly responded that he was not trying to offend anybody, and that “there has been no president that hasn’t had that scrutiny. Not one.” Let bygones be bygones. Divisive rhetoric is not the answer. We are here because we love the same band: in America it should not be a crime to sing “California Girls” and oppose shariah law and “Political Correctness.”  Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »

Wow. Unbelievably spot-on parody.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 07:21:13 AM »

Grin

Bill Ed
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 09:38:43 PM »

I've read Ms. Bender's letter, or what there is of it to read. I conjecture that at least of the following is true:

1. The professor is a lecherous clown who has no business being in his profession. And of equal import to his detractors, he caused great embarrassment and deep concern to them by singing a version of California Girls. (And in public at that!) Under this scenario, I think their complaint about the song is a striking example of political correctness. 

2. Some of the professor's colleagues don't care for him at all and wish to damage his career, and probably to be rid of him. That they cite his performance of California Girls as provoking deep concern and embarrassment is again a clear case of political correctness, even if its main purpose is to achieve their goal of bringing harm to him.   

And my candidate won the election.

Just get over yourselves! Smiley

Now, off the the Sandbox we go!

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 03:22:43 AM »

I've read Ms. Bender's letter, or what there is of it to read. I conjecture that at least of the following is true:

1. The professor is a lecherous clown who has no business being in his profession. And of equal import to his detractors, he caused great embarrassment and deep concern to them by singing a version of California Girls. (And in public at that!) Under this scenario, I think their complaint about the song is a striking example of political correctness. 

2. Some of the professor's colleagues don't care for him at all and wish to damage his career, and probably to be rid of him. That they cite his performance of California Girls as provoking deep concern and embarrassment is again a clear case of political correctness, even if its main purpose is to achieve their goal of bringing harm to him.   

I'm pretty sure that your response has been the politically correct response for quite a while now, thus the appointment of Trump.
As your conjectures are not well supported, they say more about you (you are looking for ways to be offended) than about anyone involved in the professor's case.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 06:13:36 AM »

To relate this debacle back to the Beach Boys, either in their constituent parts or as any kind of whole, while the original aim of the article seemed to include trying to induce outrage in Beach Boys fans (and Trump buddy Mike Love), I'd have to say that if I were any of the Beach Boys and/or the writers of the song in question, I'd be pissed that this professor, with clearly a bunch of other weird baggage, would invoke *my* song in having anything to do with his peril.

In other news, Charles Manson was prosecuted in the late 60s simply for reciting the lyrics to "Helter Skelter."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bill Ed
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure that your response has been the politically correct response for quite a while now, thus the appointment of Trump.
As your conjectures are not well supported, they say more about you (you are looking for ways to be offended) than about anyone involved in the professor's case.

The term "politically correct" has a well-defined meaning. According to Merriam-Webster: conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated.

I realize that the term has been used to great effect by the political right and that members of the left have tried to appropriate the term for their own uses. ("Deplorable" didn't quite catch on, but keep trying.) The fact that Candidate A prevails over Candidate B is not an indication that support for Candidate A is a politically correct position.

My conjecture about the professor's troubles is labeled as, well, conjecture. My only point, if it can even be called that, is that it appears that political correctness does play a role in this case.

Emily, your response is an opinion. It is rendered with an air of certainty in the absence of any argument to support your contention that I must spend my time looking for reasons to be offended.

And this offends me deeply.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

My only point, if it can even be called that, is that it appears that political correctness does play a role in this case.

It sounds to me more like the guy under fire is asserting this.

With the information currently available, my sense is that the guy is using the "California Girls" thing to divert attention away from the much more serious accusations/allegations, and was hoping (successfully) that the media would pick the story up with a headline not unlike the very title of this thread: "Singing Beach Boys Songs Will Get You Arrested!", as opposed to something perhaps more accurate like "Professor Under Investigation for Improper Conduct."

It's sounding like there was a laundry list of issues people had with this guy, and the story about him using that song was on that list, but certainly not the main fuel for pursuing some sort of action against him.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: