gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:08:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys on TV Wed. night Dec 21  (Read 4032 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »

The 85th Hollywood Christmas Parade on the Hallmark Channel!

Cook pork throughly
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »

This already aired on "The CW". Mike and four of his guys mime " Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »

This already aired on "The CW". Mike and four of his guys mime " Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."

Mike and his four guys? It's normally Mike, Bruce, Scott, & "Ike" that sing it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:48:12 AM »

Yeah, it was a little weird. It was those four and then Foskett just kind of standing off to the side outside of those four off mic but still also singing. I'm pretty sure since he's essentially Mike's right hand man now (sometimes just he and Mike make public appearances), this was just a case of making Foskett part of the TV appearance even though he normally wouldn't be needed. Of course, they were lip syncing so they could have had three guys there or seven.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:55:44 AM »

Seems like an odd choice for a song to sing at a Christmas parade. 

It's not a Christmas song, nor is it a particularly jolly song. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:16:05 AM »

I actually tuned in not knowing that Mike was going to be on the show.

The Hollywood Christmas Parade is always an entertainingly awkward two hours of b-list and c-list TV and movie stars (not knocking Mike, I'd argue he, or at least certainly the "Beach Boys" name, is perhaps the prestige name on this show), with weird floats and balloons with odd sponsorships (even the balloons and floats are b-list; including a "Battlefield Earth" float), and super awkward banter between hosts and people out on the street. Few names were even recognizable.

I was curious if they were just going to re-run Mike's performance from last year, but this was a new one apparently.

Interestingly, as with last year, I believe Mike's band was continually announced as "Mike Love and The Beach Boys", and Dean Cain introduced Mike's segment with an awkward, forced plug for Mike's book.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »

Surprised I didn’t see Mike plug this appearance on social media.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »

Surprised I didn’t see Mike plug this appearance on social media.

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility that Mike did this song *last year* and it wasn't aired, and they used that footage on this year's telecast, and perhaps Mike didn't know.

There is video of the 2015 show on YouTube, but I can't honestly remember what the guys were wearing on the 2016 show I saw the other night.

The website for the event doesn't list Mike's band under the 2016 performers.

http://thehollywoodchristmasparade.org/performers/

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »

I suppose its a coincidence that the Hallmark channel is airing the show on Carl Wilson's 70th birthday.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »

how far we have fallen from the days when the BB on TV meant the original BB on the Jimmy Fallen show for three songs in 2012. . .
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »

Here is the video from the CW network's website, they aired the show:

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/more-video/the-85th-annual-hollywood-christmas-parade/?play=3b155bfa-3746-443d-86c7-4550b3f874ef

Go to 52:30 for Mike's clip.

This was - for whatever reason - NOT a new performance from 2016's parade. It's from 2015, as the band's outfits and stage/set design clearly show. They must have taped "Their Hearts..." last year and didn't use it, going instead with Mike's new Christmas single for 2015. So, they must have recycled that unused clip for 2016.

I don't get it. They somehow had it look like Dean Cain the host was on a platform in front of the stage, and he was holding up Mike's book, plugging it and saying he got Mike to sign a copy for him.

So instead of a new performance clip, they rigged it up to make it look like Dean Cain was holding Mike's book in front of the band in 2016 even though the background was actually the band in 2015?

These special effects wizards...too much for me.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 07:55:40 PM »

So instead of a new performance clip, they rigged it up to make it look like Dean Cain was holding Mike's book in front of the band in 2016 even though the background was actually the band in 2015?

It's about as authentic as the touring band itself! Upon watching that link it appears to be a green-screen set up for Dean.

Dean Cain, with the touring band members "behind" him, says "Here's a group that has been entertaining fans for over half a century"; considering more than half the members of that group standing behind him haven't been touring for over half a century with the Beach Boys I find that an odd way to word the introduction.

PS, godspeed to those who brave that CW website. Utterly atrocious.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:56:38 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:25 PM »

A green screen makes sense - but for the life of me...why???

Cain announced the performance as a gift, I guess Mike decided to do some re-gifting for the TV parade audience this year with an old clip instead of offering something new.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »

"re-gifting" LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »

how far we have fallen from the days when the BB on TV meant the original BB on the Jimmy Fallen show for three songs in 2012. . .
Well, not quite the original Beach Boys. Carl and Dennis weren't there.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 05:25:29 AM »

sign my book too Mr. Love!  lmao
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 05:39:27 AM »

Well, not quite the original Beach Boys. Carl and Dennis weren't there.

Not just that, but in terms of the 2016 parade broadcast...Mike and Bruce weren't "there" either, unless using a tape from last year's parade  counts as a performance.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 06:09:10 AM »

Having watched the last few years of this trainwreck of a show (the show really deserves a "Mystery Science Theater 3000" commentary track), reusing footage from a previous year is probably not even the most problematic thing about the show. Though I might be a bit surprised they would do this after the recent kerfuffle where PBS reused fireworks display footage for the 4th of July broadcast. But I think this Hollywood Parade is such a b-list/c-list event, nobody much cares.

Dean Cain plugging Mike's book was actually the first moment where I questioned what was going on with the footage; Cain holding Mike's book up did seem a bit like a hostage holding up the newspaper to "prove" the footage is new.

Judging from at least one if not several additional "performers" for 2016 that aren't listed on the event's 2016 page, Mike's band may not have been the only case where they reused footage from last year (the weird ad-hoc Christmas band including Lisa Loeb, the Sugar Ray guy, and the Better than Ezra guy may be another case).

I'm a bit curious as to whether this is a regular thing for the show, or if they just couldn't fill the 2016 lineup enough to fill two broadcast hours.

But seriously, watch this show, it's entertaining in a snarky way. It makes total sense why Mike's cut-rate band would book this gig. It's filled with no-name soap stars, second-rate floats and balloons, no-name sitcom stars on cable channels nobody has ever heard of, and many of the musical acts either full-on miming or singing live to a pre-recorded backing track with *no* musicians behind them on stage (e.g. Olivia Newton John trying to make it through "Xanadu" without passing out). At one point, they clearly also ran out of guests for the actual parade, and had a whole segment where it was simply grand marshals from previous parades. This show literally has to resort to "Greatest Hits."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 06:24:16 AM »

So Dean Cain didn't get Mike's autograph in the book he held up in front of the green screen?  LOL

I'm also wondering if Noven Jaisi got the gig to run the green screen with the old video footage.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx