gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:57:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Short List Regarding SMiLE & Spiritual Enlightenment  (Read 3271 times)
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »

Worked up a small list for any interested folks. Here are some indicators hinting that SMiLE was meant to inspire spiritual enlightenment......a true teenage symphony to God.

1) Brian knew psychedelic art was where it was at in '66 and '67. Psychedelic art aims to recreate & communicate aspects of the acid experience. Brian focused on the spiritual aspect of his experience. His psychedelic art therefore would likely be about communicating the spiritual experience.

2) Brian chose to work with people he believed had a similar spiritually enlightened perspective. As Van Dyke Parks pointed out, "people who experimented with psychedelics, no matter who they were, were viewed as 'enlightened people,' and Brian sought out the enlightened people."

3) Micheal Vosse pointed out that Brian believed when people were laughing at something they cannot control their ego & this left them open to having a spiritual experience. Brian claimed that SMiLE would include plenty of humor. This then would possibly leave listeners open to a spiritual experience.

4) Brian was obsessed with promoting a vegetable diet and health. He believed that health was an important ingredient in spiritual enlightenment. SMiLE promoted a vegetable diet & heath. In this way SMiLE was encouraging spiritual enlightenment.

5) Brian has mentioned Arthur Koestler's book The Act Of Creation on numerous SMiLE related occasions. Koestler maintained that art had the ability to inspire the consumer of the art to access what was going on in the mind of the art's creator. If Koestler is to be believed then SMiLE could transmit the enlightened perspective (note point #2 of this list).

6) The Act Of Creation asserts that dreaming and dream-like states are when the mind is most open to events like spiritual enlightenment. SMiLE's music is composed, lyrics written, and art drawn in dream-like fashion. In fact, many of the methods employed by its creators, for instance the use of puns and visual puns, are listed by Koestler as examples of dream-logic. Therefore SMiLE is made in a style that leaves the mind most open to the spiritual experience.

7) Brian explanation of "Surf's Up" lyrics displays the process. "He's off on a trip, on a vision, he's creating it like a dream." Brian then goes on interpreting the lyrics in a very dream-like way. Eventually Brian shows how all of this is supposed to resolve, "the joy of enlightenment, of seeing God."

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »

It's GOOD to see you back, Bill!

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:00:23 AM »

welcome back bill nice thesis  Smokin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:04:25 AM »

Bill, nice to see you back! Cool

Keep up the good work.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

3) Micheal Vosse pointed out that Brian believed when people were laughing at something they cannot control their ego & this left them open to having a spiritual experience. Brian claimed that SMiLE would include plenty of humor. This then would possibly leave listeners open to a spiritual experience.

I could be wrong, but wasn't this also Koestler's belief? I think his book opens up about humor and how it breaks down barriers - such as not too many people walk into a room full of people and act dominant, instead they use humor to relate to people.

The amount of skits that were done in the studio (as heard on the psychedelic sounds boot) are a testament to what was going on in Brian's head at the time regarding humor and spiritual enlightenment.

I think that AlternateBrianWilsonPresents Smile is the best SMiLE mix that truly succeeded in the humor aspect (and simultaneously the spiritual aspect). Any newcomers who haven't heard that mix do yourself a favor and seek it out - it's a treasure.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:29:47 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »

I think that AlternateBrianWilsonPresents Smile is the best SMiLE mix that truly succeeded in the humor aspect (and simultaneously the spiritual aspect). Any newcomers who haven't heard that mix do yourself a favor and seek it out - it's a treasure.

And where might we find this treasure, rab? Is it on YouTube?

(Very gratifying to see Mr. Tobelman around again.)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »

I can't find it on Youtube (though I will keep searching because I'd like to hear it and my own copy is on an external hard drive stored away). However, fellow poster Pancake Records is the one who assembled it and perhaps he knows where one could find a copy. In the meantime, here is a breakdown of the mix written by Pancake Records; it's a pretty good read:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8859.msg162705.html#msg162705

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »

I can't find it on Youtube (though I will keep searching because I'd like to hear it and my own copy is on an external hard drive stored away). However, fellow poster Pancake Records is the one who assembled it and perhaps he knows where one could find a copy. In the meantime, here is a breakdown of the mix written by Pancake Records; it's a pretty good read:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8859.msg162705.html#msg162705

Thanks a lot for the link, rab. I'll keep searching too...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 05:22:05 AM »

Micheal Vosse pointed out that Brian believed when people were laughing at something they cannot control their ego & this left them open to having a spiritual experience. Brian claimed that SMiLE would include plenty of humor. This then would possibly leave listeners open to a spiritual experience.

rab2591 asked:
I could be wrong, but wasn't this also Koestler's belief?

Koestler does tie ego to humor. He uses phrases like "self-asserting" to indicate ego.

As far as loosing control of one's ego & having spiritual experience goes; Koestler arguably does go into that a little during his chapters on laughter. The laughter, humor, Jester part of the book then mingles & merges with the science and discovery part of the book where the dream-like states are apt to trigger a chance meeting and merger with a higher form of mentation.

But much of Brian's take on humor is due to first hand observations on his part. Brian had noticed that people were prone to trying to be funny in social settings.

I'd say that the idea that humor could enable a spiritual experience is 50% Brian and 50% Koestler.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 06:38:45 AM »

Welcome back Bill! I have always read and liked your essays, and find your point of view very interesting, and a perfecly legitimate alternate reading of Smile.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »

In the October 8, 1966 issue of MELODY MAKER Brian Wilson made a comment under the heading 'MIRROR.'

Have you tried the mirror technique of the subconscious? I'm reading a book about it----I'm fascinated by the mind and hypnosis and things like that.

Think I've found the book Brian was reading, The Magic Of Believing by Claude M. Bristol (1948). There's a chapter titled 'The Mirror Technique For Releasing The Subconscious."

This early self-help book material will likely seem trivial to those in touch with the popular depiction of SMiLE.

But I think it, with all its flaws, will add strength to the argument that Brian was all about enabling spiritual enlightenment via SMiLE.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:29:42 AM »

But much of Brian's take on humor is due to first hand observations on his part. Brian had noticed that people were prone to trying to be funny in social settings.

This leads me to another question: is there anything regarding spiritual enlightenment that has to do with being transported back to a childhood state of mind? I partially say that because of the Disney influence on the music of Smile, and also because of the lyrics of the spiritual suite (child is father of the man, the innocence of Wonderful).

Thanks for the reply, by the way!

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »

This leads me to another question: is there anything regarding spiritual enlightenment that has to do with being transported back to a childhood state of mind?

Think one can find many takes on this idea if you search the internet.

Yes "Child Is Father Of The Man" and music in a Disney-like style can be related to child-like states of mind but as far as spiritual enlightenment goes I'd take a different angle.

A very young child tends to think interns of pictures & whether it be Brian Wilson introducing "Heroes & Villains (Demo)" talking about things becoming 'visual', or Van Dyke Parks explaining his lyrics by calling them 'visual efforts', or Frank Holmes providing SMiLE artwork, it was all visually inspired; essentially coming from a child's perspective.

I would say that the repeated syllable (ma-ma, da-da, foot-doot-doot) SMiLE sections as well as the full blown dream-like songs & the pictorial music all point to a child-like perspective. SMiLE comes from a child's point of view.

According to Koestler this child's perspective leaves one more open to true original creative discovery.....something along the lines of a spiritual experience IMHO.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

Exactly the answer I was looking for. It has been so long since I've taken a close look at the Smile material (forgot all about the da-da ma-ma references). I think this topic will get me back to listening to those sessions.

So I guess the childlike perspective of certain Smile tracks (and the artwork) could also be added to your list of spiritual enlightenment nods for the Smile material. The evidence stacks up well that this was supposed to be Brian's spiritual magnum opus.

leetwall97
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »

One song I think that contained a lot of psychological nods towards enlightenment was Child Is Father of the Man. Brian said the song was about "knowing yourself so you can make the best decisions in the world". Sounds like he was less inspired by Wordsworth's use of the idiom...

Anyway that notion is very wise. I do agree that in order to create peace, you have to be at peace. In my experience, that's something only meditation has taught me.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. It has been so long since I've taken a close look at the Smile material (forgot all about the da-da ma-ma references). I think this topic will get me back to listening to those sessions.

So I guess the childlike perspective of certain Smile tracks (and the artwork) could also be added to your list of spiritual enlightenment nods for the Smile material. The evidence stacks up well that this was supposed to be Brian's spiritual magnum opus.

The DaDa sessions were SOOOOOOOO BIZARE! First recorded in '66 during a H&V session titled "Insert", then it changed keys into Heroes And Villains: All Day and then it finally became it's own thing in May. And each time it was rerecorded, a new section was added. It was worked on A LOT, and all we know is it's about a baby. What a start! I wish those masters had survived!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:27:09 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:19 AM »

In the book The Magic Of Believing (mentioned a few posts prior) Claude M. Bristol speaks of cosmic consciousness & an experience with "brilliant white light." This is likely something along the lines of a spiritual experience. And what did Bristol take from this experience?

...the memory of that single experience will always remain, for in those few seconds I received more knowledge and understanding than I had ever received in my years of reading and studying.

Sounds somewhat similar to what Brian was saying "Child Is Father Of The Man" is about ("knowing yourself so you can make the best decisions in the world").

If you look again at Wordsworth's poem you'll see that the phrase "the Child is father of the man" likely occurs at the moment of a spiritual experience.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx