gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:21:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slip On Through Reimagined  (Read 3246 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »

An interesting reimagining of Slip On Through that a fan made (someone here?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfR9S9OSh8
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »

Dennis' drumming, from the very beginning, was unconventional.  His "hits" on the snare drum often occur where you wouldn't expect it.  Perhaps it was a result of being self-taught.  This style of drumming is all over the early Beach Boys records.  Here's another example that Dennis drummed on, "RPM" by the Four Speeds.  Unmistakably Dennis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8YN1HoMwtc 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:49:17 AM »

An interesting reimagining of Slip On Through that a fan made (someone here?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfR9S9OSh8

Interesting, yes. But I miss the "inside-out" drum pattern----that really makes the track and sets it apart from just about everything else on the planet. It's pretty pedestrian without it...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »

The original drum pattern is what makes the song stand out.  The drums in that video really dumb down the song.  9 out of 10 drummers probably would have chosen that standard "rawk" beat and not think anything of it.  Thankfully, Dennis and crew thought outside the box and gave us something very different.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:04:28 PM »

This song absolutely deserved to be a hit, and it kills me to think about the "what if" had the charts taken this to the top. Would Dennis have focused on writing more commercial hits? Would Brian get motivated enough and collaborate with Dennis on some chart topping material?

It's so damn sad to hear that story that Fred Vail told about the east coast radio stations refusing to promote or play anything from the Sunflower album. It is pure gold and a shame that it's relegated to Rolling Stone top album lists and pretty much nothing more.

As for the re-done drums in the song posted, it's a cool take on the song, but the original is perfect.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 12:57:34 AM »

I think this is part of what makes the music of the Beach Boys interesting- the unusual use of percussion.  For another example, check out the percussion work on Pet Sounds and Smile.  The standard rock "ride cymbal and snare" beat or "hi-hat and snare" beat is nowhere to be found.  Instead we get a drum kit used for accents and nothing else in some songs, lots of temple block and... a Sparkletts water bottle. 
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »

remember the SOT flip-side was THIS WHOLE WORLD, so which should the DJ play (if he did)?  I'm fairly certain the designated A-side was S-O-T.  I bought the 45 when it first came out at a well-stocked local record store, not seen at any other place.  I was attracted to the particular pastel shades used on that early brother records label printing.  I wonder what motivated Dennis to give it that title (not that I disagree)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:39:11 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »

remember the SOT flip-side was THIS WHOLE WORLD, so which should the DJ play (if he did)?  I'm fairly certain the designated A-side was S-O-T.  I bought the 45 when it first came out at a well-stocked local record store, not seen at any other place.  I was attracted to the particular pastel shades used on that early brother records label printing.  I wonder what motivated Dennis to give it that title (not that I disagree)

I'm not claiming this is correct, but I think it has been said he was influenced by the song/title 'Break on Through' by the Doors. Does Stephen Desper still post here? Last I saw he was getting sh*t by some lunatics here because of a post vaguely relating to Trump/Clinton rallies. He'd definitely have some insight into this.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »

the association just mentioned w/ Break On Through certainly seems feasible to me.  Technically that song was the very first Doors release.  SLIP ON THROUGH / THIS WHOLE WORLD shouldn't've been just a hit but a DOUBLE-SIDED HIT.....IMO (they were short enough).  What a way to kick-off Brother Records, and both sides in stereo thanks to mr desper
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »

Does Stephen Desper still post here? Last I saw he was getting sh*t by some lunatics here because of a post vaguely relating to Trump/Clinton rallies. He'd definitely have some insight into this.

He would indeed. You may catch him at PSF----if you post there, that is....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:07:32 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »

Does Stephen Desper still post here? Last I saw he was getting sh*t by some lunatics here because of a post vaguely relating to Trump/Clinton rallies. He'd definitely have some insight into this.

He would indeed. You may catch him at PSF----if you post there, that is....

I don't post there, but if someone who does post there wants to ask him about it that'd be great. That is unless he still posts here, I haven't been around in ages so I've no idea what the latest is.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »

One of the interesting things about the remix is that it sounds as though some additional vocal separation was achieved at the song's tag sequence, making the parts being sung more distinct. The vocal mix, the instrumental arrangement, the engineering, the total package really was ahead of its time--I don't think you could hear 1/2 of what was going on in the song on radio at the time.

Steve Desper has been very scarce from the Pet Sounds site for about a month now--just one post since 11/16 and no log-in for more than two weeks.

Let's hope he's well--and not suffering too severely from "buyer's remorse."
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »

This song absolutely deserved to be a hit, and it kills me to think about the "what if" had the charts taken this to the top. Would Dennis have focused on writing more commercial hits? Would Brian get motivated enough and collaborate with Dennis on some chart topping material?

It's so damn sad to hear that story that Fred Vail told about the east coast radio stations refusing to promote or play anything from the Sunflower album. It is pure gold and a shame that it's relegated to Rolling Stone top album lists and pretty much nothing more.

As for the re-done drums in the song posted, it's a cool take on the song, but the original is perfect.

I've thought the same thing: What would have happened if Slip on Through had (deservedly) been a hit? I think it means another single, most likely Forever, to capitalize on Dennis' success. And I think Forever would have been a hit.

If so, the follow-up album would have had plenty of Dennis. The record company would have demanded it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »

I've thought the same thing: What would have happened if Slip on Through had (deservedly) been a hit? I think it means another single, most likely Forever, to capitalize on Dennis' success. And I think Forever would have been a hit.

If so, the follow-up album would have had plenty of Dennis. The record company would have demanded it.

Agreed! I also think of all the creative avenues this would've opened up for Dennis. After Sunflower he primarily focuses on songs of introspection. But had SOT been a chart topper I think Dennis would've continued to explore chart-friendly material. The soaring harmonies, driving rhythm, and amazing chorus.

I'm so glad he went a more introspective route, as we now have WIBNTLA and so many other great songs. But imagining an alternate history of a band resurgence with Dennis at the helm is fun to think about.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx