gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:45:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catch A Wave original Draft Manuscript being Auctioned  (Read 1329 times)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »

Interesting, estimated to reach between 200,000-300,000 at Sotheby's! Always interesting to see Brian's writing up close too.

CATALOGUE NOTE
Wilson pens the lyrics for two of Surfer Girl's best-loved tracks and produces for the first time
Surfer Girl marks the debut of Brian Wilson the producer laying the groundwork for his later immense success crafting the harmonies and arrangements of songs that would be known as "teenage symphonies to God."
The lyrics here, in Wilson's hand, are for another hymn to SoCal surfer cuture, "Catch A Wave." They are the essential final lyrics as recorded and released as the second track on their seminal 1963 album. Wilson saw this song as an important milestone in achieving the sound he was looking for, the band and vocals a cohesive whole, crashing over and immersing the listener:
"[It] was more rhythmic. The guitars were more clean and driving as if to say they didn't wanna stop. The piano was played by me and it was perfectly synchronized with the guitars. The 3 different sounds combined to make one unique sound. I was ecstatic about this."
On the reverse Wilson begins to craft one of the Beach Boys best loved singles, the drag racing ode "Little Deuce Coupe."
In black ink ("Catch a Wave" is written in blue) Wilson jots down the following lines:
"Well I'm not braggin' babe so don't put me down
Just a little deuce coupe with a flat
She's got a competition"
Each of these would each eventually become the opening lines of the song's stanzas, which suggest that this is perhaps the very beginning of the song lyrically. A very early working draft of one of The Beach Boys best loved and most performed songs.
It was a track that was the band's most successful B-side and one that Wilson himself was very fond of:
"We loved doing 'Little Deuce Coupe'. It was a good 'shuffle' rhythm, which was not like most of the rhythms of the records on the radio in those days. It had a bouncy feel to it. Like most of our records, it had a competitive lyric. This record was my favorite Beach Boys car song."
Of additional note are expenses that Wilson has penned on the reverse of recording sheet, with amounts next to "Dennis" and "Al Jardine."
Substantial lyrics or arrangements in Brian Wilson's hand, especially from the band's golden age, are almost unknown on the market.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2016/rock-roll-n09587/lot.118.html
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »

what makes those lyrics so unique, is that hand written Brian Wilson
lyrics are hardly ever seen  Shocked
nice collectable to have
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »

before it was released Brian once spoke of the possible next Beach Boys 45 release as "SITTIN' ON TOP OF THE WORLD" (he said it was "in the can"), obviously the working title of CATCH A WAVE
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »

It's a cool piece, but I really have to question if it is worth half a million dollars.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx