gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in Fort Myers, FL, 12/14/2016  (Read 4322 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »

Remember when the water was bad in Mexico and the jobs were in Flint MI?  Well, as a matter of fact, I do.....

Would a potential Standing Rock joke by Mike told at a BB show bother you? Just curious. I happen to think it's bad taste to make jokey stage banter out of tragedies. Call me crazy.

Let me give you some context. I live in Michigan. I work for an institution that is deeply entrenched in Flint and helping the residents to deal with the water crisis. My job brings me to Flint frequently--I know many people directly effected by this disaster.

I attended a concert in Michigan earlier this year where Mike gave his water charity spiel. This is how I described it then:

"One more thing I forgot to mention, Mike had some sort of blue scarf on stage that was apparently made in India. He talked about it for a couple of minutes (made a Steven Tyler joke), mentioned they were for sale at the merch table with 100% of proceeds going to clean water efforts. He made a joke about bringing the initiative to Flint."

The stage banter went on a little longer than necessary, but, unless the "joke" changed a lot since then, he essentially said that the proceeds from the sale of the scarves went for drinking water in Africa, though maybe it should be going to Flint. I didn't find it demeaning or disrespectful, more of a commentary on the fact that clean, safe drinking water shouldn't be in question for citizens in the United States in 2016.

Again, maybe he has changed the "joke" to be offensive. The "joke" received some groans from the audience, but more of a knowing, why is it even a question of clean drinking water, in the USA, in 2016.

There are a lot of things to criticize Mike about, but this seems a little overblown.

That's the "joke" I remember as well in Cincinnati.  I'm not sure how any offense could be taken unless, like you said, he changed the joke.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »

I'm sure seeing or hearing the tone of the Flint comment would help. If he made the comment and then followed it up with "am I right? What a sad situation!" or something like that, something to give the comment context, then that would help.

But the thing is, if he's lamenting the unfortunate situation, it's a rather listless, useless way of doing it; expressing outrage about a situation by mentioning how the charity he *is* raising money for is going to get the money instead.

If he was using it as a segue to raise awareness or money or something for Flint, perhaps there wouldn't be any room to think he's just making a ham-fisted joke. But just off handedly making the comment, while perhaps not intended as a tasteless joke, comes across as a "why bother making the quick sardonic comment if you're not trying to do anything about it?" sort of moment. I'm not even saying Mike should have to do anything about it. But then just leave it alone.

Mike has *never* been good with making these sorts of comments/references. He almost always comes across a smug a-hole, whether he intends to or not or whether it's deserved or not.

That he apparently has *rehearsed* this bit and uses it over and over seems even more puzzling.

It's not a huge deal; we don't need to be fake outraged by it or anything. I'm not outraged. But it's not 100% innocuous either. It's just a sensibility with subject matter that I think is off, and Mike does this from time to time. I felt a similar way when he was doing a George Harrison tribute back-to-back with a Carl tribute as if it was a "Lung Cancer" mini-set, as he specifically (at least at some shows) mentioned they both died of lung cancer. There's nothing inaccurate about it, and I'm sure Mike is nothing but saddened at their demise, but it's a weird and in my opinion tasteless context to put tributes into. As with most things Mike does, if you see or hear or read it and think "what's wrong with that?", then it's unlikely anybody else will sway your opinion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »

Would a potential Standing Rock joke by Mike told at a BB show bother you? Just curious. I happen to think it's bad taste to make jokey stage banter out of tragedies. Call me crazy.

I agree. Sad part is, there are people who wouldn't find it offensive, but make a joke about the fucking police and then they  WOULD find it offensive.

"One more thing I forgot to mention, Mike had some sort of blue scarf on stage that was apparently made in India. He talked about it for a couple of minutes (made a Steven Tyler joke), mentioned they were for sale at the merch table with 100% of proceeds going to clean water efforts. He made a joke about bringing the initiative to Flint."

Not only do I *not* find that offensive, I would actually agree with that. It's been FAR TOO FUCKING LONG....that sh*t needs to be fixed ASAP.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »

I'm sure seeing or hearing the tone of the Flint comment would help. If he made the comment and then followed it up with "am I right? What a sad situation!" or something like that, something to give the comment context, then that would help.

But the thing is, if he's lamenting the unfortunate situation, it's a rather listless, useless way of doing it; expressing outrage about a situation by mentioning how the charity he *is* raising money for is going to get the money instead.

If he was using it as a segue to raise awareness or money or something for Flint, perhaps there wouldn't be any room to think he's just making a ham-fisted joke. But just off handedly making the comment, while perhaps not intended as a tasteless joke, comes across as a "why bother making the quick sardonic comment if you're not trying to do anything about it?" sort of moment. I'm not even saying Mike should have to do anything about it. But then just leave it alone.

Mike has *never* been good with making these sorts of comments/references. He almost always comes across a smug a-hole, whether he intends to or not or whether it's deserved or not.

That he apparently has *rehearsed* this bit and uses it over and over seems even more puzzling.

It's not a huge deal; we don't need to be fake outraged by it or anything. I'm not outraged. But it's not 100% innocuous either. It's just a sensibility with subject matter that I think is off, and Mike does this from time to time. I felt a similar way when he was doing a George Harrison tribute back-to-back with a Carl tribute as if it was a "Lung Cancer" mini-set, as he specifically (at least at some shows) mentioned they both died of lung cancer. There's nothing inaccurate about it, and I'm sure Mike is nothing but saddened at their demise, but it's a weird and in my opinion tasteless context to put tributes into. As with most things Mike does, if you see or hear or read it and think "what's wrong with that?", then it's unlikely anybody else will sway your opinion.

I can only speak for the concert I was at, but the comment with regard to Flint really didn't need context in Michigan (and it's kind of sad to think that it would need context anywhere else in the USA). I know most of the country has largely forgotten about the situation, but it's kind of the elephant in the room when you're talking about clean water in Michigan. *Maybe* it plays different elsewhere, but I appreciate the fact that Mike is actually reminding people.

Sorry if it feels like I'm turning it around on everyone else, but this is something I've been aware of since October 2015 (although there were signs before that). I know people are always looking for a way to swipe at Mike, I just don't see this as being particularly offensive, quite the opposite, really. It almost feels like, "how dare you remind us of Flint, wasn't that taken care of months ago?"
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »

Wish i could see a Beach boys concert inDecember so Ican hear the Christmas songs live!
KDS
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 05:09:30 AM »

Earlier in this thread, the question was asked about whether the crowd should expect Christmas songs. 

I just saw on advertisement on Facebook (can't remember if it was The Beach Boys or Mike's page) that billed December shows as "50 Years of Good Vibrations, Christmas, and Hits."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx