gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:30:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More info on this performance of California girls  (Read 8123 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:19:45 AM »

This performance of California girls is definitly my favorite only thing missing is Brian. It was also redone in the beach boys an american family. I wish we had the full thing in hd & also a complete blu ray collection of all their videos much like the beatles one collection. My question is does anyone know what year this perfromace was and what show was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1UqDnY7as
KDS
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 05:03:04 AM »

I think it's from the Jack Benny Hour in late 1965. 

I'm pretty sure this was featured on the American Band doc from 1985, but it would be nice to have all of the TV clips in one collection, kinda like the Beatles 1+.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:10:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure this was featured on the American Band doc from 1985, but it would be nice to have all of the TV clips in one collection, kinda like the Beatles 1+.

I see a YouTube commenter suggests 1968. It's certainly later than 1965 (Mike had no beard in those days).

I've googled it quite intensively but found nothing conclusive. I'd agree on it being from a US show though.

See below for the JBH performance: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX1U0wtIl10

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:41:17 AM »

I see a YouTube commenter suggests 1968. It's certainly later than 1965 (Mike had no beard in those days).

I've googled it quite intensively but found nothing conclusive. I'd agree on it being from a US show though.

See below for the JBH performance: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX1U0wtIl10

Ah, then I'm really not sure.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »

Yeah I don't think its from 65 judging by their clothes and mikes beard. does anyone have the full version ? apparently the only version available is sourced from endless harmony. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:08:37 AM »

I believe this is from the TV show Kraft Music Hall, aired on NBC Feb 19, 1969. The theme of the show was a take-off on California with Don Rickles and Don Adams as featured guests parodying California, movies, etc. Hence, "California Girls" in 1969. The BB's also did "I Can Hear Music".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:20:42 AM »

This is definitely from 1968/69 given the "look" of the band. This old clip was shown back in 1981 on the "20th Anniversary Special" (the one that used a bunch of footage of the 1980 Knebworth show), and then used again in 1998 on "Endless Harmony."

As for an "HD" version, it appears this show was shot on videotape, so we're locked into SD on this one. They could certainly polish it up from the best available source. I'm not super fond of this particular clip; it's a weird anachronism. Many BB performances from this era were; they were for some reason often in the 1968/69 timeframe miming on US or European TV, miming to 4-5 year-old tracks, complete with the absent Brian's voice. Weird.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »

These lipsynched appearances are always so strange because in Brian's absence, his voice seems to be coming from a ghost.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »

If someone has info that this clip is anything but Kraft Music Hall, Feb 1969 aired on NBC, please add it. Otherwise I'm 99% sure that's exactly where this was taken from. In this case since it was a California themed episode of that variety show, it would make sense for them to do this song. Then they also did "I Can Hear Music" which would have been a contemporary song for them to feature, so it evened out. Why they would do California Girls on something like Dutch TV is more of a mystery, but consider maybe that's what the fans watching those shows would have expected them to do, or maybe that's what the show itself asked them to do? It's odd but it was a big hit so maybe there was still demand in Europe into 68-69 for them to do these hits from 65-66 on TV appearances.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »

These lipsynched appearances are always so strange because in Brian's absence, his voice seems to be coming from a ghost.
Its truly amazing how long ago that era seemed even by 1969. Brian's missing spiritual music and input was haunting the BBs by then. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »

This is definitely from '68/'69 without a doubt.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »

If someone has info that this clip is anything but Kraft Music Hall, Feb 1969 aired on NBC, please add it. Otherwise I'm 99% sure that's exactly where this was taken from. In this case since it was a California themed episode of that variety show, it would make sense for them to do this song. Then they also did "I Can Hear Music" which would have been a contemporary song for them to feature, so it evened out. Why they would do California Girls on something like Dutch TV is more of a mystery, but consider maybe that's what the fans watching those shows would have expected them to do, or maybe that's what the show itself asked them to do? It's odd but it was a big hit so maybe there was still demand in Europe into 68-69 for them to do these hits from 65-66 on TV appearances.

It has been years since I watched the "20th Anniversary" TV special, but my recollection is that that special specifically mentions that the clip is from Kraft Music Hall. I don't think there's any doubt that it's from that show.

As for European TV appearance, I don't think the *reason* for them miming to old tracks is odd or unclear. A lot of those shows were only set up for "American Bandstand" style lip-sync deals, and so they were just using the original tracks because that's all they had. The oddness is mainly in hearing but not seeing Brian, and the vintage of the songs. Can anybody imagine the "White Album" or "Get Back" era Beatles miming to "Please Please Me?" The Beach Boys mimed to "Surfin' USA" on the Beat Club in '68 or '69.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »

It got weirder, I should mention. In late 1981 (and early 1982), the Carl-less Beach Boys mimed to the "Beach Boys Medley" on at least two TV shows (Dick Clark's American Bandstand Anniversary show, and at least one other show, perhaps Merv Griffin?). To bring it full circle, 1981 Brian mimed Carl's 1966 lead on "Good Vibrations."  LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »

I think that is the BBs at their absolute nadir...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

I think that is the BBs at their absolute nadir...

I agree completely , what were they thinking?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »

They were making a living and staying in the public eye..
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »

Mike and Bruce use pieces of this on screen in the touring show. Definitely the early '69 appearance everyone is mentioning.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

I think Al's miming Brian's part at a few points.  There is a brief shot of him and he seems to be doing it. Would be appropriate as he sung that part live.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »

The group looks quite similar to the way they looked on The Mike Douglas Show(especially Carl), so I'm guessing that the CG clip is taken from around that time period.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »

It got weirder, I should mention. In late 1981 (and early 1982), the Carl-less Beach Boys mimed to the "Beach Boys Medley" on at least two TV shows (Dick Clark's American Bandstand Anniversary show, and at least one other show, perhaps Merv Griffin?). To bring it full circle, 1981 Brian mimed Carl's 1966 lead on "Good Vibrations."  LOL

Yeah, THAT was the absolute nadir if there ever was one.  How embarrassing it must have been for them too that the medley was put together by Capitol without their involvement and they weren't even with the company anymore.  They had their own album the previous year they could have been promoting but it already flopped and went so instead they're miming to themselves when they were 20 years younger, Brian was being dragged around on tour like a prop.  Really hard to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbX3rKMHYy4

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 07:44:46 PM »

Speaking of The Beach Boys Medley, has it ever been revealed who Capitol enlisted to do that lousy sounding "ba ba ba Barbara Ann" segue between Surfin Safari and Barbara Ann? Never been much of a fan of The BB Medley, but that part has always stuck out like a sore thumb to me, sounding nothing like the original recording.

Edit - Getting back to the orig post - the look has mid-68/mid-69 written all over it, so I'd agree with GF's assessment of the Kraft Music Hall, aired on NBC Feb 19, 1969.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:51:45 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »

This is Kraft Music Hall, The complete clip begins with a shot of the girls, then the camera moves to Bruce Johnston, and then moves to Mike Love. The clip ends with a band shot, the sound changues to live and have an abrupt ending, the lights turn off and Crowd Applauses can hear.

California Girls was also mimed on Twien, the back cover photo of Live in london was taken while the Beach Boys were performing California Girls as Al Jardine used the acoustic guitar for mime this song
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »

You mean this one, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzCy0VKMhUs

I think we can see Mike Douglas at the beginning

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »

That is Mike Douglas show on April 1969, THey also performed Never Learn Not To Love
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »

This is Kraft Music Hall, The complete clip begins with a shot of the girls, then the camera moves to Bruce Johnston, and then moves to Mike Love. The clip ends with a band shot, the sound changues to live and have an abrupt ending, the lights turn off and Crowd Applauses can hear.

Yes - when it was used on the 20th Anniversary special, it was captioned as the Kraft Music Hall (or Kraft Music Hour, whichever...but definitely Kraft Music...that much I remember).
EDIT: it was definitely "Hall", not "Hour". Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:01:56 PM by c-man » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx