gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:50:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More info on this performance of California girls  (Read 8077 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »

Yes this was from the Kraft Music Hall Show from February 19 1969-though it was taped at least two or three weeks earlier (Carl describes it to an interviewer on their Feb 7-12 Texas tour)  They also mimed to I Can Hear Music-the current single.  The variety show that week also featured Kaye Ballard, Joseph Cotton, Don Adams and the recently deceased Don Rickles.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »

I think Don was alive when he did the show though 😉
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

If someone has info that this clip is anything but Kraft Music Hall, Feb 1969 aired on NBC, please add it. Otherwise I'm 99% sure that's exactly where this was taken from. In this case since it was a California themed episode of that variety show, it would make sense for them to do this song. Then they also did "I Can Hear Music" which would have been a contemporary song for them to feature, so it evened out. Why they would do California Girls on something like Dutch TV is more of a mystery, but consider maybe that's what the fans watching those shows would have expected them to do, or maybe that's what the show itself asked them to do? It's odd but it was a big hit so maybe there was still demand in Europe into 68-69 for them to do these hits from 65-66 on TV appearances.

You mean this one, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzCy0VKMhUs

I think we can see Mike Douglas at the beginning

I am confused, because this was not mimed like the original CG post was.  It seems like 2 different shows to me.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »

If someone has info that this clip is anything but Kraft Music Hall, Feb 1969 aired on NBC, please add it. Otherwise I'm 99% sure that's exactly where this was taken from. In this case since it was a California themed episode of that variety show, it would make sense for them to do this song. Then they also did "I Can Hear Music" which would have been a contemporary song for them to feature, so it evened out. Why they would do California Girls on something like Dutch TV is more of a mystery, but consider maybe that's what the fans watching those shows would have expected them to do, or maybe that's what the show itself asked them to do? It's odd but it was a big hit so maybe there was still demand in Europe into 68-69 for them to do these hits from 65-66 on TV appearances.

It has been years since I watched the "20th Anniversary" TV special, but my recollection is that that special specifically mentions that the clip is from Kraft Music Hall. I don't think there's any doubt that it's from that show.

As for European TV appearance, I don't think the *reason* for them miming to old tracks is odd or unclear. A lot of those shows were only set up for "American Bandstand" style lip-sync deals, and so they were just using the original tracks because that's all they had. The oddness is mainly in hearing but not seeing Brian, and the vintage of the songs. Can anybody imagine the "White Album" or "Get Back" era Beatles miming to "Please Please Me?" The Beach Boys mimed to "Surfin' USA" on the Beat Club in '68 or '69.

I agree that maybe "Surfin' USA" may have seemed weird by that point just because it seemed so "out of fashion" at that point (as great of a song as it is), but the group doing a huge 1965 song isn't quite that bad in my opinion. The equivalent might have been like The Beatles doing "Drive My Car" in '68 or '69. Or maybe the Stones doing "Get Off of My Cloud" in '69. But of course the difference is, The Beatles by this point really weren't a live performing band, so it'd be hard to say. Though keep in mind, if they had ended up actually doing a big show like they were planning for the Get Back project, I seem to recall discussions between the band on playing may just a bit of old material along with all the new, with George at one point suggesting how much he liked "Every Little Thing." So, had the lads (besides Paul) been in better moods, who knows? Maybe we woulda seen "Love Me Do" performed in 1969.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 02:53:25 AM »

First of all. The beach Boys mimed on Twien Cal Girls, Wouldn´t It Be Nice, Sloop John B, Good Vibes, God Only Knows and Barbara ann. The only songs mimed on that show still in fashion are Do It Again, Friends and Darlin.

Second on a Special with the Raiders they mimed Good Vibes

Third on Something Else they mimed Good Vibes also.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »

You were confused by two different clips.  The BBs appearance on Kraft Music Hall from Feb 69-with California Girls (which is the clip with all the girls) and I Can Hear Music (not posted online as far as I know but does exist) and the Mike Douglas app taped on Apr 2 1969 (but aired on Apr 9) which is the clip you posted of I Can Hear Music.  They also did Never Learn Not To Love on that app-also on YouTube
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »

Yes this was from the Kraft Music Hall Show from February 19 1969-though it was taped at least two or three weeks earlier (Carl describes it to an interviewer on their Feb 7-12 Texas tour)  They also mimed to I Can Hear Music-the current single.  The variety show that week also featured Kaye Ballard, Joseph Cotton, Don Adams and the recently deceased Don Rickles.

Wish The Boys had done a skit of some sort with Don Adams in character as Maxwell Smart.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »

The band was pretty good live in most periods, the miming is an abomination.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »

Well-the BBs did the skit with Jack Benny and Bob Hope for Benny's 1965 TV special
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »

Not sure if you subscribe to ESQ but I once wrote two articles for it covering the BBs TV appearances from 1962 to 1996 as best I could
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »

Here is the same 1969 Mike Douglas app-Never Learn Not To Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJrrQ2apjVg

And here is the July 1969 app-Breakaway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sobVMqnElOI

and also from July 1969 Celebrate the News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwE9aY5F4Jw
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »

Thanks Ian Grin Grin Grin, A Guide of tv appearances of Beach Boys must be made in this styles:http://www.beatlesource.com/TV/index.html

I Can contribute, I am a coleccionist
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 06:35:28 AM »

It has been years since I watched the "20th Anniversary" TV special, but my recollection is that that special specifically mentions that the clip is from Kraft Music Hall. I don't think there's any doubt that it's from that show.

As for European TV appearance, I don't think the *reason* for them miming to old tracks is odd or unclear. A lot of those shows were only set up for "American Bandstand" style lip-sync deals, and so they were just using the original tracks because that's all they had. The oddness is mainly in hearing but not seeing Brian, and the vintage of the songs. Can anybody imagine the "White Album" or "Get Back" era Beatles miming to "Please Please Me?" The Beach Boys mimed to "Surfin' USA" on the Beat Club in '68 or '69.

I agree that maybe "Surfin' USA" may have seemed weird by that point just because it seemed so "out of fashion" at that point (as great of a song as it is), but the group doing a huge 1965 song isn't quite that bad in my opinion. The equivalent might have been like The Beatles doing "Drive My Car" in '68 or '69. Or maybe the Stones doing "Get Off of My Cloud" in '69. But of course the difference is, The Beatles by this point really weren't a live performing band, so it'd be hard to say. Though keep in mind, if they had ended up actually doing a big show like they were planning for the Get Back project, I seem to recall discussions between the band on playing may just a bit of old material along with all the new, with George at one point suggesting how much he liked "Every Little Thing." So, had the lads (besides Paul) been in better moods, who knows? Maybe we woulda seen "Love Me Do" performed in 1969.

It wasn't so much that 1963 tracks were "out of fashion" (I know Beatles fans never stopped listening to '63/'64 cuts), it's more that a band choosing to mime to that material is weird. The 1969 Beatles miming to "She Loves You" or "Drive My Car"? Super weird, and they *never* would have done it. Maybe that's a difference between both the ethos of the Beatles vs. the Beach Boys and also where they were at popularity-wise, where the Beatles had the luxury of not having to do stuff like that.

Let's also be clear that a band that lasted through most of the 60s choosing in 1969 to mime to one of their tracks from 1963 would have been quite different from most bands in 2017 miming to a track from 2011.

You can see and hear the Beatles run through some of their "oldies" during the January '69 "Get Back" sessions, and they laugh about and mock their "old" stuff, running through stuff like "Help" and "Please Please Me" while they were stoned and not taking it seriously.

That's not to say they didn't respect their back catalog. They just never would have slipped in "Drive My Car" in between taping clips for "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" for David Frost/Smothers Brothers, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMK0_kt3L7g
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx