gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:42:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunset Sound Studio #2 photos (Sound Techniques Recording Console)  (Read 2613 times)
Danny White
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »

New to the forum. Have been here in the past kicking around as I'm a big BB fan and have always enjoyed it. First time I've actually had anything to ask or offer however.  So, curious to know if there's anyone here aware of any BB or BW tracks cut in Sunset Sound Studio #2 from Spring of 1967 to around mid 1974. Also looking for any photographs of #2 during this time period. Tutti Camaratta had a new Sound Techniques A-Range installed in the room when it opened up (as did Jac Holzman over at Elektra Sound Rec. on La Cienega). There are quite a few great photos of Elektra and a fantastic film with The Doors, but next to nothing on Sunset. There is only one photo that I know of and it was taken for a band called The Music Emporium in later 1967 as I recall.
If there are any engineers on the forum that might have been there, you can find a photo of the Sound Techniques A Range from Sunset Sound Studio #2 on our website. Might jog some memories.

Glad to be a part of this message board and happy to answer any questions as well.

Best,

Danny White
President/Owner
Sound Techniques, Ltd.
www.soundtechniques.com
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:55:29 PM by Danny White » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:48:25 AM »

Welcome to the board Danny!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:27:35 AM »

Welcome Danny!

I wish I had something to offer in the way of new photos, but we did have a discussion here back in 2012 about Sunset Sound, and I'll post the link if you'd like to read through the comments and photos: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14307.0.html

I don't think any of the photos will be what you're looking for specific to Studio #2, but there was an interview with Bruce Botnick which I believe is archived where he mentioned the new console from Tutti and having to wheel it in. I think that was from Bruce Botnick's "Sound On Sound" interview. There are also color photos of The Doors working at Sunset in the control room of Studio #1, unfortunately not the room you're looking for.

I'm looking forward to seeing more on the Sound Techniques project, I loved the trailer posted on your site!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:46:30 AM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Danny White
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »

What a great photo! One of my all time favs. That's John Haeny, Paul Rothchild and Jim of course. Sunset #1 as you know. That console was built by Alan Emig. Fantastic acoustic designer as well that also built Elektra Studio for Jac Holzman. Alan did some modifications to the Sound Techniques desk at Elektra as well. I restored 9 of the 20 original units. Unbelievable sounding units. I believe you're right on the Bruce Botnick interview. Bruce has been super cool to me and very helpful. And Jac as well. Top class guys.

Thanks for the comment in regard to the new documentary. It will be coming out late next year, or early 2018. Being done out of London and the guys making it happen are really in it for the right reason. Think it's going to be a smash!

Know this isn't BB or BW, but this is a neat video that I thought you guys might enjoy. Within a year of the Smily Smile period, so a nice snapshot of the time. June or July of 1968. Found it about a year ago. Bruce Botnick and Paul Rothchild at the Sound Techniques A-Range desk in Elektra Sound Recorders. The Doors, Wild Child..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-I21R9Cjc

Peace

DW
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »

how simple did they do things back then eh? 
no big isolation rooms, separation, and extravagant pop filters etc etc
Analog glory all the way.  Great sound! Great clip too!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx