gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:14:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: so Paul McCartney did munch on that celery!  (Read 8261 times)
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:14:47 AM »

Over the years there has been some doubth that Paul actuallymunched celery on 'Vega-Tables'. Here's the man himself comfirming it.

Paul: “Yeah, that is true, yeah! I mean it was wild and wacky days, you know, and I just went round to the studio because they invited me. I just thought it would be fun to sit there and watch them record, ’cause I’m a big fan. And so I was there, and then it was, I think, Brian who came over and said, ‘Oh Paul, got a favour to ask: would you mind recording something?’ I thought, ‘Oh, no! But great, I could do that’. Oh God, I’m gonna be singing on a Beach Boys record or something, you know! I got a bit kind of intimidated and thought, ‘Okay, here goes nothing’. And they said, ‘Well, what we want you to do is go in there and just munch!’ …Well, I can do that! So, if you hear somebody munching celery, that’s me!”

http://www.meatfreemondays.com/paul-mccartney-i-give-good-celery/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:18:12 AM by peerke » Logged
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:47:36 AM »

peerke, your link doesn't work (because you by mistake clicked on the wrong link-button which put it within [ftp] tags. Http links though may be simply posted raw without tags, so you don't have to use the link button). Here's the working link:

http://www.meatfreemondays.com/paul-mccartney-i-give-good-celery/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:33:49 AM by Sjöman » Logged
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:16 AM »

Thanks, Sjöman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »

Brian also confirmed it in his 2016 book.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:47:07 PM »

I knew it! Sounded like Macca to me  LOL
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »

Yeah, but was Pet Sounds inspired by Rubber Soul?
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »

Yeah, but was Pet Sounds inspired by Rubber Soul?

You betcha!!!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:36:38 PM »

What about the Beach Boys' leader Brian Wilson? I heard that he liked the Four Freshmen and Chuck Berry. Is that true?
Scaroline No
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 03:59:09 AM »

It was fun to read Paul's account of it though  Smiley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:40:10 AM »

Yes, interesting to get Paul's perspective. So often, Brian talks about how he loves Paul, and since Paul is the more confident of the two, you get the sense that Brian is a bit in awe of Paul. To have Paul say he was sort of intimidated when he thought the Beach Boys were going to ask him to sing... I mean, who wouldn't be? Even a Beatle was intimidated.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »

Now this is an important question for the Smile crowd who generally, and understandably, want to nuance every angle as per the recording and the specific methods employed in order to reach the finish line on each and every piece of the puzzle.  It's key to understanding the whole enchilada.  Was that celery salted?  And if so ... was it salted a LOT or just a little bit?  Who bought it?  Where?  Was it washed with luke-warm or cold water?  Or was it consumed straight out of the garden?   And did Paul hold it with his left or right hand?
-----------------------------------------------
 [the celery I mean. Wink]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:57:37 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »

Now this is an important question for the Smile crowd who generally, and understandably, want to nuance every angle as per the recording and the specific methods employed in order to reach the finish line on each and every piece of the puzzle.  It's key to understanding the whole enchilada.  Was that celery salted?  And if so ... was it salted a LOT or just a little bit?  Who bought it?  Where?  Was it washed with luke-warm or cold water?  Or was it consumed straight out of the garden?   And did Paul hold it with his left or right hand?
-----------------------------------------------
 [the celery I mean. Wink]

You also forgot: organic or pesticide-laden?
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »

This could very well be the most famous piece of celery in the history of mankind.
Scaroline No
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »

LOL is it bad that I was thinking about it this morning, and wondering exactly how planned or impromptu this Paul munching the celery business was?  Was it like, "Hey man, Paul's here! We're recording Vega-Tables, we should get him on here somehow. I know! Celery! Someone go get some celery!" Or was it more like "Here I am on the day of recording Vega-Tables, and I've invited Paul McCartney because he's a vegetarian and I need a vegetarian around to crunch on celery for percussive reasons, so I'll just run in and grab some celery on my way in to the studio..."

Like this is the key to... something...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:16:12 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 05:00:39 PM »

I think the whole myth of McCartney not being on there stemmed from Andrew Doe's CommGuide. Hadn't seen anyone else debunk it before or since. Probably one of the few things based on "original" research, which would explain a lot, really.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »

This could very well be the most famous piece of celery in the history of mankind.
Up there with the food at the last supper. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »

Up there with the food at the last supper. Wink

Now I just had a mental image of the Last Supper as a SMiLE skit.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »

Mike as judas! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 05:51:08 PM »

LOL

SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »

Not a Doctor Who fan, are you?

LOL is it bad that I was thinking about it this morning, and wondering exactly how planned or impromptu this Paul munching the celery business was?  Was it like, "Hey man, Paul's here! We're recording Vega-Tables, we should get him on here somehow. I know! Celery! Someone go get some celery!" Or was it more like "Here I am on the day of recording Vega-Tables, and I've invited Paul McCartney because he's a vegetarian and I need a vegetarian around to crunch on celery for percussive reasons, so I'll just run in and grab some celery on my way in to the studio..."

Like this is the key to... something...

Definitely the former, since Paul didn't become a vegetarian until the Seventies.   Smokin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:23:23 AM by SufferingFools » Logged

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »

When Capitol issued the twofers in the '90s, the liner notes of Smiley Smile/Wild Honey stated that McCartney crunched on veggies for percussion. So that's when I found out about it. And that's what I believed.

Then in 2004 I bought The Complete Guide book by Doe & Tobbler. Page 58 of The Complete Guide book states "Two further myths require demolishing: Vege-Tables never was The Earth section of The Elements nor did Paul McCartney either play on or co-produce this or any other version." (I knew he didn't co-produce it or play an instrument on it, but it lead me to believe that McCartney didn't crunch anything on it either.) So for 13 years that's what I believed.

Then a few months ago I bought Brian's book and he stated that McCartney DID indeed crunch the veggies, and now Paul himself is stating the same.

Where's Andrew...I'm gonna tug that beard....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 01:53:04 PM »

Exactly.  Doe is the only one who ever stated as such. Completely pulled that one out of thin air (instead of his usual MO of passing off others' research as his own)

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »

nor did Paul McCartney either play on or co-produce this or any other version
Well, technically speaking, I don't think you could call chomping on some celery to be "playing" anything, so even if they're wrong, they're technically right. :D
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »

nor did Paul McCartney either play on or co-produce this or any other version
Well, technically speaking, I don't think you could call chomping on some celery to be "playing" anything, so even if they're wrong, they're technically right. :D

Yeah, true. But it's misleading. Doe could have at least said that even though McCartney crunches on some veggies he did not however do anything else on it. (I personally have never heard any rumors about Paul co-producing or playing bass or anything like that on Vegetables... did I accidentally miss that rumor?)
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »

Did Paul's actual celery munching has made it out to any of the actual released material?  Or was it replaced by a Wrecking Crew muncher?  Heh!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx