gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If the other BBs had Brian's hearing impairment  (Read 2876 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »

How would history have been different if a different BB member was deaf on one ear, instead of Brian? If Carl had been deaf in one ear, would it have affected Carl's ability to be as good a bandleader for decades on the road? If it was Mike, would he have been able to have been the same type of frontman? Same question for all the Boys. With as much touring an musicianship as the guys did for so many years on the road, I wonder if it would have been a big issue.

Curious what everyone thinks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:00:01 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »

I think the word 'disability' is the preferred term today. Wink
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »

ah, I think that's now been superseded with 'impairment' Smiley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »

ah, I think that's now been superseded with 'impairment' Smiley

Fixed. Now what does everyone think about the question? Smiley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:07:18 PM »

I think that there must be a specific and hidden reason for pondering something as far-fetched and wacky as this directly out of  deep left-field question.  So, then, while we're there...and we most assuredly are ... ... ... What if none of the Beach Boys including David, Glen, Blondie and Ricky had NO legs?   Not a one?  Would they have just spent their youth 'bumming around'?

Is Mike, then, legless?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »

I think that there must be a specific and hidden reason for pondering something as far-fetched and wacky as this directly out of  deep left-field question.  So, then, while we're there...and we most assuredly are ... ... ... What if none of the Beach Boys including David, Glen, Blondie and Ricky had NO legs?   Not a one?  Would they have just spent their youth 'bumming around'?

Is Mike, then, legless?

No ulterior motives, just boredom! It's remarkable how Brian overcame it for his set of circumstances, but the other guys had different circumstances, being touring machines, frontmen, etc. It just crossed my mind wondering how much it might have hindered (or not) the others. That's all.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »

How would history have been different if a different BB member was deaf on one ear, instead of Brian? ]

Oddly enough David has been deaf in his right ear for a year. He had a stroke shortly after his heart attack that ruptured a blood vessel going from his brain to his ear. He jokes he always wanted to be like Brian, but not THAT way! Since losing his hearing he’s recorded his Back in the Garage CD, some tracks with Probyn and Nelson for a new solo CD, recorded a version of Cuddle Up, did session work for the new Mod Hippie album produced by Adam Marsland, has played many shows with the Surf City All Stars, a small number with Mike, and did a tour of Spain playing very loud surf instrumental music. He’s also done countless interviews & personal appearances and recently, an acting job. He misses being able to hear music in stereo terribly, some tones cause pain in his bad ear, and there is a socially awkward (or annoying) element when he can’t hear what the other person is saying conversationally. Otherwise, the impairment has not had much of an impact on his ability to play, record or perform. He even says he has an easier time staying on pitch now because he hears his own voice much clearer in his head. It’s certainly not an ideal situation for any musician, but I don’t think history would be altered too greatly if the tables had been turned.
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »

How would history have been different if a different BB member was deaf on one ear, instead of Brian? ]

Oddly enough David has been deaf in his right ear for a year. He had a stroke shortly after his heart attack that ruptured a blood vessel going from his brain to his ear. He jokes he always wanted to be like Brian, but not THAT way! Since losing his hearing he’s recorded his Back in the Garage CD, some tracks with Probyn and Nelson for a new solo CD, recorded a version of Cuddle Up, did session work for the new Mod Hippie album produced by Adam Marsland, has played many shows with the Surf City All Stars, a small number with Mike, and did a tour of Spain playing very loud surf instrumental music. He’s also done countless interviews & personal appearances and recently, an acting job. He misses being able to hear music in stereo terribly, some tones cause pain in his bad ear, and there is a socially awkward (or annoying) element when he can’t hear what the other person is saying conversationally. Otherwise, the impairment has not had much of an impact on his ability to play, record or perform. He even says he has an easier time staying on pitch now because he hears his own voice much clearer in his head. It’s certainly not an ideal situation for any musician, but I don’t think history would be altered too greatly if the tables had been turned.

Very sorry to hear that he had a stroke.  Good thing he overcame it and is still active.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »

Wow, this is very sad news, but glad he hasn't let it change his life.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Carrie. My very best wishes to David - he is truly an inspiration to many people for his amazing perseverance.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »

All the BBs likely had pretty bad hearing impairment after years of touring and performing with loud amplification equipment.  It's an occupational hazard...I basically damaged my hearing going to rock concerts when younger.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »

I think someone needs to get another hobby. Regarding mikesthegreatestwhat? I think you damaged more than your hearing.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 06:32:41 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Carrie. My very best wishes to David - he is truly an inspiration to many people for his amazing perseverance.
My very best wishes to David and Carrie, too, and thanks to him for his music and his perseverance, and to Carrie for coming here and keeping us informed. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:33:44 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »

All the BBs likely had pretty bad hearing impairment after years of touring and performing with loud amplification equipment.  It's an occupational hazard...I basically damaged my hearing going to rock concerts when younger.
I damaged my hearing being in a rock band, playing in small rehearsal spaces where everyone but me had their amps up to 11!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx