gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:01:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beautiful!  (Read 3835 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tWGUBFsz4

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »

I wish they would release the entire album from these sessions.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »

Agreed, its not quite the 1966 album but close to it! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »

That is some extremely sweet singing!!

A DVD with two versions--one just the performances one after the other, and the second documentary-style with comments edited in from BW, Al, and all the rest of the band--would be a joyous 50th anniversary. But that isn't inclusive of M&B, who did make significant contributions to PS, so it coould never be an "official release."

Capturing more footage of BW and Al talking about the songs is increasingly important--their words are THE words we want to hear about this music and the circumstances under which it was first created.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »

I enjoy these, but disagree entirely about releasing the album in this vein. We have Pet Sounds, and it's as good as any album, ever. Do something else! (And for gods' sake, use Matt on more leads. Absolute star of the PS tour show I saw. The crowd was damn near killed. I almost lost a best friend to Matt's voice. Granted, he was drunk off his ass. The friend, not Matt.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
donbrhoden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »

Was Blondie in there playing tambourine?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:25:29 PM »

That was beautiful. A special touch was the old Capitol U47 mic...just like Sinatra on those classic album covers from the 50's. Some technology not only has never been improved on, but also carries a mojo that studio folks strive for.

Agreed on Matt Jardine. Brilliant. The man owned the stage every time I've seen him since 2015. The crowd loves him, and his vocal performances were highlights of every show, especially Don't Worry Baby. He owned it. A simply fantastic addition to the band, and even on songs like I Get Around, there was a certain quality to the vocal blend between Matt and Al that can't be beat.

Great video. That's quality stuff, right there.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:30:19 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »

That is beautiful. The harmonies on the break are great.

However, BW's vocal on the original WIBN has got to be one of my favorite vocals ever. It just has this unique punch to it that's incomparable and that no one else can reproduce. I don't really feel comfortable with anyone else, even with BW, singing that song. The original vocal is just too irreplaceable.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »

Was Blondie in there playing tambourine?

Looks like Scott Bennett, who they very carefully tried to edit around. He's not in focus even once here.

This must've been shot late last year, I'm surprised they waiting on this that long. I'd love to see a whole special filmed like this.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »

Weird. I must be the only person who doesn't really enjoy Matt's leads. I like him in the blend. But to my tastes, his voice is far too saccharine. His leads sound cutesy to me.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »

This video was posted on YouTube back in June, six months ago. I think a couple of tracks from these sessions are on YouTube; I think there was one for "Sloop John B" from the same session. These videos were discussed somewhere (perhaps the tour thread?) back in June when they were posted.

It was noted back then that they had indeed done their best to omit Scott Bennett, mostly by not using shots of him but also in a few cases with what looks like some digital "de-focusing" which I guess looks better than the pixel blocks you'd see on an episode of "Cops", but still looks obvious once you see it. I'm surprised they didn't just completely omit any shots with Bennett in the background, though perhaps they didn't have too many cameras at the shoot and had little choice.

The band supposedly did a "Spotify" session featuring a full album performance and also shot video of it as well; I don't think Spotify has made that available yet (and whether it would be audio only or video as well would be unknown). They just pulled a couple tracks from it to promote the beginning of the US tour back in early June.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 06:39:20 AM »

Here's "Sloop John B" from the same session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx5PVjsRamk

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »

As for releasing this, I think some sort of digital release of it as a curio would be fine. In all likelihood, assuming this was the Spotify session, if or when it is made available in full, it will be exclusively via streaming on Spotify.

A Blu-ray release of the full album session would be cool. Though, I'd probably rather see a live concert Blu-ray from the 2016 tour (which one would have to think is at least under consideration).

In terms of this in-studio session, I think the fact that they had to fudge the footage of the two songs released thus far to blur Scott Bennett out of it would suggest to me a full-album release (either online or anywhere else) of the entire thing in *video* form is pretty unlikely.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 06:44:07 AM »

I wish they would release the entire album from these sessions.

Agree!
MEConner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »

There were signs posted at the Ryman Theater in Nashville that the show was being filmed. Darian came back for that performance. I went to 4 concerts in September and it was the best.  Who wouldn't be up for a show at that iconic venue?  I hope it shows up on DVD.
KDS
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

There were signs posted at the Ryman Theater in Nashville that the show was being filmed. Darian came back for that performance. I went to 4 concerts in September and it was the best.  Who wouldn't be up for a show at that iconic venue?  I hope it shows up on DVD.

REALLY!!! 

Granted, I've only been to four, but the PS Show I saw in Bethesda, MD was the best BW show I've ever attended.  From what I've read, he was in fine form for most of the September concerts.

Fingers crossed.  And I'm hoping its a full concert on DVD, not just the PS portion like the 2002 RAH DVD. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »

Shooting the Ryman shows for home video would make sense; they did two nights there. It's advantageous to do a show when they can shoot two shows back to back. That way, if someone biffs something on a particular song on one night, they have more material to work with.

Ringo released a "Live at the Ryman" DVD from a few tours back.

I'm curious if Joe Thomas was involved in the shoot, and/or if they might be working it up as another PBS Soundstage episode.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx