gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:05:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's "videographer" strikes again!  (Read 5663 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »

..but this time it was a Beatle.

As you may recall, a fake trailer popped up on YouTube called "The Beach Boys: Still Tourin'" and a lot of theories were bandied about on here that this was coming from Mike himself. Some of us were more skeptical and proven right. We've since learned that it was the work of a young kid named Noven Jaisi. He had no connection to anybody, but Mike liked his work on YouTube enough to christen Jaisi's video for "Alone on Christmas Day" as the official video (it's basically just random clips from Endless Harmony but whatever).   

Having gotten the attention of Mike, Jaisi next set his sights on Ringo Starr and put out a fake trailer touting an upcoming Ringo documentary. Much like what happened here, this video became the talk of the Beatles forums for days, with people swearing up and down that it HAD to be official because it looked so good. The trailer even got the attention of Ringo himself who had no idea what any of this was about.  Finally, the mystery was revealed and Jaisi admitted that, much like the fake "Still Tourin'" trailer, he created it to get attention.

You can read the article about the Ringo trailer here: http://www.axs.com/exclusive-filmmaker-of-ringo-youtube-film-trailer-is-revealed-says-he--111070

I had no idea that he pulled the same stunt with the Jacksons (who I guess liked his work as much as Mike did). I know nothing about what it takes in the modern age to launch a young person's career. Certainly in terms of viral marketing, this kid is pushing all the right buttons and getting his name out there. I just wonder if the next rock act he targets isn't so flattered and slaps him with a lawsuit.     
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »

I honestly think he's a great filmmaker. With his own footage, I believe he could make a great documentary. I might be alone, but I'd love to see him make an actual BBs documentary.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »

I took great delight in Smile Brian trying to drive AGD crazy in the "Still Tourin'" thread.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »

I honestly think he's a great filmmaker. With his own footage, I believe he could make a great documentary. I might be alone, but I'd love to see him make an actual BBs documentary.

Making great trailers (or at least enticing trailers) is a very different art than actually making films, whether fiction or documentary.

Most films actually outsource their trailers to a completely different production company, and on occasion they've supposedly allowed trailer editors to actually edit actual films with arguably disastrous results ("Suicide Squad").

There's no evidence to go on as to whether this guy would be any good making an actual documentary. Even his trailers are questionable, at least in terms of BB-related trailers (haven't watched the Ringo item), as he largely uses previous documentaries.

So we don't even know how this guy would light an interview session, let alone how he would structure a narrative of a documentary.

It appears to be a guy who has taken a shine to video editing software and is perhaps trying to get buzz by making fake trailers and hyping himself. I guess he's continuing because it did work with Mike enough to get Mike to use some of his stuff.

But this guy doesn't even have an entry in IMDB, so I'd question how much work he has actually done in the industry. A few bands posting links to fan-made videos is not an actual gig.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:06:56 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »

Noven Jaisi's favorite Beach Boys songs:

Quicktime to Get Alone
Exportenin' Bread
Lav-render
Editing Bay Surfer
The Things We Avid Last Summer
Michael Final Cut Pro The Boat Ashore
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 02:43:35 PM »

Making great trailers (or at least enticing trailers) is a very different art than actually making films, whether fiction or documentary.

Most films actually outsource their trailers to a completely different production company, and on occasion they've supposedly allowed trailer editors to actually edit actual films with arguably disastrous results ("Suicide Squad").

There's no evidence to go on as to whether this guy would be any good making an actual documentary. Even his trailers are questionable, at least in terms of BB-related trailers (haven't watched the Ringo item), as he largely uses previous documentaries.

So we don't even know how this guy would light an interview session, let alone how he would structure a narrative of a documentary.

It appears to be a guy who has taken a shine to video editing software and is perhaps trying to get buzz by making fake trailers and hyping himself. I guess he's continuing because it did work with Mike enough to get Mike to use some of his stuff.

But this guy doesn't even have an entry in IMDB, so I'd question how much work he has actually done in the industry. A few bands posting links to fan-made videos is not an actual gig.  

Agreed. Everything he uses is already available elsewhere. He could have a future as a video editor, but so far we've seen nothing that shows he has what it takes to do the legwork himself.
I have to admit, I didn't realize that Jasai did the Ringo trailer. It's a little bit better than the "Still Tourin'" trailer.  I assumed it was Iamaphoney: another guy on YouTube who re-edits EPK's and the like, except he's always trying to prove the "Paul is dead" craze is a fact while hyping his own band (which is actually quite good).  
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »

I took great delight in Smile Brian trying to drive AGD crazy in the "Still Tourin'" thread.  Grin
Quite the time in that thread! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »

Looking back at that thread, it was A halcyon time on this board! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »

Noven Jaisi strikes again! Can't get away from this guy.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

Maybe he's just another wannabe jockeying to be the grand poobah of guerilla video editing and copyright violation on YouTube, who knows.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »

Let this guy actually go through the process of negotiating licenses with the 87 companies needed for the footage and music (sync) rights that would be required for either a Mike/Beach Boys or Ringo documentary, and we'll see how enthusiastic he remains.  LOL

I'm not a fan of the presentation of the Ringo trailer, including the thumbnail image for it on YouTube using the "HD Teaser" font/logo that *real* films actually use on YouTube. Ringo would be nuts to let this guy work on an official doc; his trailer is blatantly misleading.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 09:19:57 PM »

Although I wasn't to impressed with the Still Tourin Trailer and Christmas video. His video on Good Vibes 50th anniversary, Mikes book commercials and the opening film for this years Bbs tour was really well done . I googled him and found his showreel which is good, i also found his instagram in which seems like he has been on the road with Mike and bruce. links to both below. i think for a guy so young to have such passion is pretty cool i hope his career pans out as he hopes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtR1bD22mVA

https://www.instagram.com/novenjaisi/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »

Mike talked somewhere in the last year or two about the possibility of a "Mike Love" documentary; that's the only venue I could see for someone following Mike around on tour, other than to just internally document stuff or post stuff online. I say this because they can't release any film of Mike's touring (whether a show or behind the scenes stuff) under the Beach Boys name.

I'm just not impressed with Jaisi. Kudos to him for shoehorning his way into a gig; can't knock his motivation. But in particular his early BB "trailers" showed a gross lack of understanding of the hot button issues surrounding the band, use of the band's name, mixing of C50 footage with Mike's band footage, etc.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »

Although I wasn't to impressed with the Still Tourin Trailer and Christmas video. His video on Good Vibes 50th anniversary, Mikes book commercials and the opening film for this years Bbs tour was really well done . I googled him and found his showreel which is good, i also found his instagram in which seems like he has been on the road with Mike and bruce. links to both below. i think for a guy so young to have such passion is pretty cool i hope his career pans out as he hopes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtR1bD22mVA

https://www.instagram.com/novenjaisi/

Well done? If this videographer is the same guy behind Mike's book commercial, he really needs to get someone to proofread for grammar before unleashing embarrassing typos like this:

This isn't just some tiny, insignificant typo in line of text at the bottom of a list of album credits; this is a typo on the band name on a very prominent card in the middle of the content itself.  I'm pretty surprised that after this goof was pointed out months ago, nobody from Mike's camp saw fit to ensure it got fixed. Unleash The Love... and the typos. Womp womp.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:10:09 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »

I'm just not impressed with Jaisi. Kudos to him for shoehorning his way into a gig; can't knock his motivation. But in particular his early BB "trailers" showed a gross lack of understanding of the hot button issues surrounding the band, use of the band's name, mixing of C50 footage with Mike's band footage, etc.
I think he is doing that on purpose.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »

Truth of the matter is if Jaisi worked for Brian , people wouldn't be so hard on him...
But having a filmmaking background myself i must say Jaisi definitely has what it takes and with the monstrosity that was the Pet Sounds 50 Animated Music Video on The BBs Vevo channel along with the Good vibes video that had a horrible audio source along with washed out and unsaturated picture which any college student could have fixed, i'm glad we had Noven's 50 years of vibes and his pet sounds anniversary video not to mention his opening video and pet sounds accompanying video
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 08:50:43 PM »

Truth of the matter is if Jaisi worked for Brian , people wouldn't be so hard on him...
Same old predictable line of thinking. The truth of the matter is he works for Mike. *If* he switches to Brian & people suddenly appreciate his efforts, *then* we talk.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »

But having a filmmaking background myself i must say Jaisi definitely has what it takes and with the monstrosity that was the Pet Sounds 50 Animated Music Video on The BBs Vevo channel along with the Good vibes video that had a horrible audio source along with washed out and unsaturated picture which any college student could have fixed, i'm glad we had Noven's 50 years of vibes and his pet sounds anniversary video not to mention his opening video and pet sounds accompanying video

The question is, "has what it takes" for what exactly? YouTube videos? I suppose. A feature length official Ringo Starr documentary? No.

And his misleading publicity stunt with the fake Ringo trailer was the exact opposite of professional.

He may not have fans in Brian or Al either, both of whom had their images used by Jaisi without permission to promote Mike's tour.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:22:22 PM by HeyJude » Logged

rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 10:39:18 PM »

Well looking at his other work that is none bbs related online, the kid has directing, producing, camera work and editing credit. The fact that he is young and according to mike, jaisi is living and working in kuala lumpur but managed to get  a gig with the touring bbs and the jacksons in my book that is pretty impressive . as for the ringo video he fooled thousands of fans including me and got the attention he wanted.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »

as for the ringo video he fooled thousands of fans including me and got the attention he wanted.

Yes, and that comes across as utterly unprofessional and gimmicky. If I were Ringo, I'd stay a thousand miles away from this guy.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 07:28:02 AM »

Well looking at his other work that is none bbs related online, the kid has directing, producing, camera work and editing credit.

We're dealing mainly with his BB work in this discussion, in addition to the Ringo "trailer." And his BB work in at least one if not several trailers relies heavily on Alan Boyd's work in "Endless Harmony" for one.

I also still can't find the guy on IMDB at all, a website which catalogs pretty much any one who is looking to work in the industry, and catalogs even "uncredited" bit parts in TV shows and movies, and every key grip and production assistant and catering company on just about every movie, TV show, internet show, music video, and so on.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »

All I know is this: Thanksgiving week, I tried to upload and share one of my favorite short films of all time, Gary Weis' SNL short film from the 75-76 era shot in an airport of travelers coming home being greeted by family members and loved ones, set to "Homeward Bound". It's brilliant filmmaking even in its simplicity of subject matter, shot almost as cinema verite yet edited perfectly after the fact...and it works beautifully. It's a tear-jerker. Unfortunately it's very hard to find in high quality unless you buy the SNL DVD sets, and it only exists in very low quality online.

So I put it up on YouTube, a very low quality version of it...and literally within a minute or so of it getting processed and uploaded on YT, I get a notice via email that NBC Universal had it pulled down due to copyright issues.

So that makes sense, I guess...right?

Yet this guy can use copyrighted video and music, hi-def no less, and can use images of certain people in these "trailers" without their permission, and he's being celebrated in some circles?

I call bullshit. A crappy quality vid of an old Gary Weis short film gets zapped within a minute due to copyright, yet an ersatz "videographer" who cuts and pastes other people's work is celebrated in some circles as he angles for a gig, and somehow avoids all the standard copyright and usage terms surrounding using and posting copyrighted audio and video for commercial use?

rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »

All I know is this: Thanksgiving week, I tried to upload and share one of my favorite short films of all time, Gary Weis' SNL short film from the 75-76 era shot in an airport of travelers coming home being greeted by family members and loved ones, set to "Homeward Bound". It's brilliant filmmaking even in its simplicity of subject matter, shot almost as cinema verite yet edited perfectly after the fact...and it works beautifully. It's a tear-jerker. Unfortunately it's very hard to find in high quality unless you buy the SNL DVD sets, and it only exists in very low quality online.

So I put it up on YouTube, a very low quality version of it...and literally within a minute or so of it getting processed and uploaded on YT, I get a notice via email that NBC Universal had it pulled down due to copyright issues.

Yet this guy can use copyrighted video and music, hi-def no less, and can use images of certain people in these "trailers" without their permission, and he's being celebrated in some circles?

I call bullshit. A crappy quality vid of an old Gary Weis short film gets zapped within a minute due to copyright, yet an ersatz "videographer" who cuts and pastes other people's work is celebrated in some circles as he angles for a gig, and somehow avoids all the standard copyright and usage terms surrounding using and posting copyrighted audio and video for commercial use?

Well that depends on the owner of the clips and just how strict they are, it also depends on whether they would want to remove the video or not. It some cases it depends on luck .
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »

NBC/Universal and SNL/Broadway Video are particularly active in removing stuff from YouTube. It becomes a scavenger hunt to find some stuff like 90s Conan O'Brien stuff. And try finding a ton of his short run on the Tonight Show....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:00:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

Well that depends on the owner of the clips and just how strict they are, it also depends on whether they would want to remove the video or not. It some cases it depends on luck .

Of course YouTube is a total crapshoot, and YouTube has to rely mostly on rights holders to ask them to remove stuff.

My problem with Jaisi is the blatant misleading "fake out" method he uses for his stuff. It's hack stuff. No band or artist should let this publicity stunt-prone guy near their archives.

If the guy was just doing "fan" stuff for his amusement, then I wouldn't take issue. But he professes to be a pro, and wants to get these high profile gigs. That's where it becomes an issue for me.

Separate from his methods, Jaisi's work exhibits either a gross lack of understanding of the Beach Boys' history and its fanbase, or a blatant disregard for it. Probably some of both I'm guessing. I get the feeling from his work that he may not even understand how the "Beach Boys" touring license works.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx