gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:44:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson Phillips' 1990 debut expanded to 2 CD's  (Read 3642 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:59:23 PM »

A good chance blown: foreign language versions, live tracks, and radio edits, but nothing in the way of outtakes. Worth noting that they were so big in 1990 that they recorded foreign language versions, a practice I thought hadn't really been seen since the 1960s.

from http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/wilson-phillips-debut-expanded-to-2cds/#more-128008

This new expanded deluxe edition sees the album remastered by Andy Pearce and features a previously unreleased version of Hold On (the Accapella). The bonus disc contains rare radio edits, live tracks and foreign language versions. The booklet features a new interview with the band by Paul Lester.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:00:58 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:24:19 AM »

Spanish language versions actually popped up quite a bit in the 90s, although off the top of my head I can only recall Boyz II Men doing it. They released a special version of their debut album with a few, then released Evolucion, which was a Spanish version of their Evolution album, which included Spanish versions of songs from their first three albums.

Rap group Cypress Hill also did a Spanish album of their songs, but this was natural since they are Latino and speak Spanish fluently.

Did Brian have anything to do with this album? I thought I read once he came up with some counter-melodies or something.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 07:41:18 AM »

Wow, I'm amazed they felt a second disc was warranted since it's filled almost entirely with radio edits, single edits, and other stuff of relatively limited interest. Even later live versions or something would have seemed to help spice this thing up.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »

Wow, I'm amazed they felt a second disc was warranted since it's filled almost entirely with radio edits, single edits, and other stuff of relatively limited interest. Even later live versions or something would have seemed to help spice this thing up.

I don't think they did that much touring in 1990/91.  Except for opening some shows for Richard Marx or another big name from that period.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »

I think we have a Spanglish version of one of WP's songs somewhere in our extensive CD collection.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »

Spanish language versions actually popped up quite a bit in the 90s, although off the top of my head I can only recall Boyz II Men doing it. They released a special version of their debut album with a few, then released Evolucion, which was a Spanish version of their Evolution album, which included Spanish versions of songs from their first three albums.

Rap group Cypress Hill also did a Spanish album of their songs, but this was natural since they are Latino and speak Spanish fluently.

Did Brian have anything to do with this album? I thought I read once he came up with some counter-melodies or something.

After the 1960s it has been mostly dribbles. I know about Cypress Hill, ABBA Oro is another obvious one, but in the 1960s it was almost par for the course.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »

Spanish language versions actually popped up quite a bit in the 90s, although off the top of my head I can only recall Boyz II Men doing it.

Er... The Beach Boys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYGw46nJXdA

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 12:29:40 AM »

Bad Religion recorded an German version of Punk Rock Song in the 90s. Totally crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPIw9b7X5o

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 03:02:28 AM »

Bad Religion recorded an German version of Punk Rock Song in the 90s. Totally crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPIw9b7X5o

I think they did that in part as a tribute to "Die Toten Hosen" who recorded quite a few songs in english. At least I seem to remember the singer of Bad Religion mentioning something like that back in the 90s in an interview on german TV

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »

If there are some nice pictures of Wendy I might buy the new version.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »

That's cool I guess. It would be nice if some of the BB's albums got this kind of treatment, but then again, not too many of them sold as well as Wilson-Phillip's first album.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »

That's cool I guess. It would be nice if some of the BB's albums got this kind of treatment, but then again, not too many of them sold as well as Wilson-Phillip's first album.
But you have to remember, Wilson Phillips' debut was in the era of the megasellers. An act put out one album, released half a dozen singles from it, and promoted it for 2 years. In the BB's day, you were expected to crank out 3 albums a year. Wilson Phillips had one megaselling album, sold something like 10 million copies; their sophomore release sold maybe 3 million. I wonder if ANY BB's album sold 3 million? Maybe Endless Summer? But they were there, year after year, one gold record after another, and that music still sells 50 years later.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »

I don't think they did that much touring in 1990/91.  Except for opening some shows for Richard Marx or another big name from that period.

That's why I was thinking even latter-day (from the last five or ten years that they've been back together touring in the 2000s) live takes of these songs might be more interesting than numerous radio edits, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx