gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:00:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?
Yes - 25 (24%)
No - 79 (76%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?  (Read 32774 times)
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

Greetings from Great Britain. We don't need to be great again, hence the name !(despite going to hell in a hand kart at the moment...). Surely the BBs playing this inauguration would be in keeping with their history of piss-poor terrible touring decisions?  Stage suits in the late 60s, Raegan concert, playing apartheid South Africa etc.
I do not support any decision to play this by any means, but it would be perversely understandable.
PS. Punk rock was never about endorsing sexist or racist views apart from some quickly discredited bands with subhuman followings.

Perfect,  just one more.....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »

Greetings from Great Britain. We don't need to be great again, hence the name !(despite going to hell in a hand kart at the moment...).

LOL Love the wording Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »

Please give some evidence to support your assertions of stripping away of rights.

Just for starters... Pence's record of opposition to gay rights as a member of Congress, is sure to be a threat to any member of the LGBT community. That should outrage anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Trump appointing Bannon, who freely publicly refers to lesbians as "dykes"? I could give many, many more examples...

Care to defend those I just mentioned?

Mike Love should not rope the brand name in to be associated with that garbage.

Don't forget the hideous creature Sessions's own comments, either.

Yeah, Mike's Favorite Recording Sessions.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:51:12 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2016, 02:48:43 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »

Plus... Does the public really need to speculate on why a guy who (hopefully won't) might play an inauguration for an anti-gay Vice President conspicuously did NOT eulogize (in even just a brief social media mention) the passing of a prominent LGBT band manager of his band, in contrast to his bandmate Brian, who went out of his way to eulogize said manager on Facebook? People don't need more reasons to hate Mike or to speculate as to his motives. People (who aren't even fans of this band) will want to tear apart any celeb associating with hateful bigots. Not worth it. Not worth it. I happen to care about the legacy of this band and don't want to see it tarnished any further.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:07:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »

Century Deprived - I empathise. And I hope to Dawkins that it doesn't happen, however, it's hardly going to be a major shock in terms of a band with all the spiritual and elemental members suddenly making a bad decision? Cos it wouldn't ever be. Playing a Trump inauguration would only ever be a franchise of lesser elements agreeing to a celebration of populist misguided hysteria. History should record it thus.

Perfect,  just one more.....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »

Century Deprived - I empathise. And I hope to Dawkins that it doesn't happen, however, it's hardly going to be a major shock in terms of a band with all the spiritual and elemental members suddenly making a bad decision? Cos it wouldn't ever be. Playing a Trump inauguration would only ever be a franchise of lesser elements agreeing to a celebration of populist misguided hysteria. History should record it thus.

I get what you are saying, FFS, but I contend it would certainly be the biggest and most highly-publicized stupid decision that they could possibly do in the modern social media age. Mike got relatively little heat for the "screw the UN" comment (and likewise the band) about playing South Africa during apartheid because it happened in the dark ages of the pre-internet '80s. These are different times.  

Ferris Bueller's comment "you don't want this much heat" directed to Cameron comes to mind. Mike needs a Ferris to give him a reality check if he'd even consider doing it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:09:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »

Plus... Does the public really need to speculate on why a guy who (hopefully won't) might play an inauguration for an anti-gay Vice President conspicuously did NOT eulogize (in even just a brief social media mention) the passing of a prominent LGBT band manager of his band, in contrast to his bandmate Brian, who went out of his way to eulogize said manager on Facebook? People don't need more reasons to hate Mike or to speculate as to his motives. People (who aren't even fans of this band) will want to tear apart any celeb associating with hateful bigots. Not worth it. Not worth it. I happen to care about the legacy of this band and don't want to see it tarnished any further.

What band manager is this and what is the source that  he was gay?  I have nothing against gay people, but this is new information for me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »

What band manager is this and what is the source that  he was gay?  I have nothing against gay people, but this is new information for me.

Jack Rieley. While I'll try to give Mike the benefit of the doubt and assume Mike's omission had more to do with him simply not liking the guy, the point is, publicly supporting (and not merely supporting, but actively playing the inauguration of) known anti-gay, pro-conversion therapy bigots like Pence could potentially make people draw all sorts of conclusions about said bigot's celebrity supporters, right or wrong. If Mike is gonna support an anti-gay bigot, then Mike's own slights against a gay man will come under the microscope, as will his UN comment, etc. Not a commentary about whether that's "fair" or not, point is, that's a type of thing that will happen, and the only inarguable fact is that nobody, let alone Mike, needs that kind of baggage by associating with a bigot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:39:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »

Please give some evidence to support your assertions of stripping away of rights.

Just for starters... Pence's record of opposition to gay rights as a member of Congress, is sure to be a threat to any member of the LGBT community. That should outrage anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Trump appointing Bannon, who freely publicly refers to lesbians as "dykes"? I could give many, many more examples...

I love how there have been tumbleweeds as a response to this.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »

And while we're at it:  http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2016/aug/14/sean-patrick-maloney/donald-trump-against-same-sex-marriage/

A fact-checked collection of quotes saying that Trump opposes the Supreme Court decision on gay marriage and wants to leave it up to the individual states.

He may of course completely flip-flop on this, but he's repeatedly opposed gay marriage across fifteen years.

Of course, in a Beach Boys context, this wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for Mike supporting Trump or not; after years of their own various contradictory interview comments, I figure none of the boys expect there to be any connection between what someone says and what they actually end up doing.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »

I think Trump was the better choice. I guess what I said has offended many.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »

And while we're at it:  http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2016/aug/14/sean-patrick-maloney/donald-trump-against-same-sex-marriage/

A fact-checked collection of quotes saying that Trump opposes the Supreme Court decision on gay marriage and wants to leave it up to the individual states.

He may of course completely flip-flop on this, but he's repeatedly opposed gay marriage across fifteen years.

Of course, in a Beach Boys context, this wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for Mike supporting Trump or not; after years of their own various contradictory interview comments, I figure none of the boys expect there to be any connection between what someone says and what they actually end up doing.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Trump said after the election that same sex marriage is settled and he's fine with that.  I don't think he would say something like that *after* the election if he felt otherwise. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Trump said after the election that same sex marriage is settled and he's fine with that.  I don't think he would say something like that *after* the election if he felt otherwise. 

All that may be true, but trying to tell an LGBT person that they are being "over-emotional" (as claimed by others earlier in this thread) after the ilk of Pence and Bannon are in da house is a bit rich, don't you think? And to keep it on topic, telling one of those folks to not have BIG issue with any celeb playing the inauguration is inane to the max.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »

Trump will say whatever whim strikes him at any given moment.  After the election, he said he wasn't going to try to prosecute Hillary Clinton after all; then he threatened to prosecute her again when she supported the Michigan recount.  You might as well expect consistency from Brian Wilson over whether he burned the Smile tapes!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2016, 02:45:38 AM »

All I wonder is the percentage of Myke Luvers (and Bruce Johnston, if there is such a thing) who backed Trump  Grin

Something tells me it would be significantly higher than for those who appreciate the Wilsons  Wink

Unleash the firestorm.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:47:23 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2016, 04:48:56 AM »

Regardless of Trump's position on anything, which except for cutting taxes on the wealthy are as free as the wind, he's made a gazillion promises to nominate right-wing justices and the Republicans and his voters are going to hold him to that above all else. That's the main arena in which gay rights are affected.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »

Hell f*cking no. No, no, no, no.

Mind you, if Mike and Bruce want to play for him under their own names than they can go right ahead. Wink

Has there ever been a band with a greater disparity than the one between the largely conservative audience who discovered the BB's through Full House and Kokomo and the typically more liberal, indie-esque fan base who came to know the band through the legend of Brian Wilson and Pet Sounds/Smile?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:11:18 AM by SamMcK » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

All that may be true, but trying to tell an LGBT person that they are being "over-emotional" (as claimed by others earlier in this thread) after the ilk of Pence and Bannon are in da house is a bit rich, don't you think? And to keep it on topic, telling one of those folks to not have BIG issue with any celeb playing the inauguration is inane to the max.
actually i never brought up LGBT you did,, I said that PEOPLE (In general) are over being over emotional over this election, which is something you can't deny, and it is true on both sides...you can't deny that this whole election has caused people a lot of emotions, which only THEY can control...No one can make a person emotional that's their choice. If the LGBT (or some other group) doesn't want the Beach Boys to perform then they shouldn't watch it that is their right, and turn the channel to something else..what I said was that the Beach Boys have every right, if they choose to do so, to perform for trump.I never said anything homophobic about Gay people,,,I just stated a fact, and it is a fact just look at the media and facebook and how people are treating each other on both sides....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

actually i never brought up LGBT you did,, I said that PEOPLE (In general) are over being over emotional over this election, which is something you can't deny, and it is true on both sides...you can't deny that this whole election has caused people a lot of emotions, which only THEY can control...No one can make a person emotional that's their choice. If the LGBT (or some other group) doesn't want the Beach Boys to perform then they shouldn't watch it that is their right, and turn the channel to something else..what I said was that the Beach Boys have every right, if they choose to do so, to perform for trump.I never said anything homophobic about Gay people,,,I just stated a fact, and it is a fact just look at the media and facebook and how people are treating each other on both sides....

Good to know that LGBT folk aren't indicative of people in a general sense.  That's probably because they continue getting marginalized by the people like the VP-elect.  Are they chopped liver?  And how about Latinos and Muslims? I guess on the topic of being overly-emotional, that Mike is supremely overly-emotional about people not liking him. Everyone is just a big crybaby.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »

And while we're at it:  http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2016/aug/14/sean-patrick-maloney/donald-trump-against-same-sex-marriage/

Of course, in a Beach Boys context, this wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for Mike supporting Trump or not; after years of their own various contradictory interview comments, I figure none of the boys expect there to be any connection between what someone says and what they actually end up doing.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Trump said after the election that same sex marriage is settled and he's fine with that.  I don't think he would say something like that *after* the election if he felt otherwise.  

Good to know that LGBT folk aren't indicative of people in a general sense.  That's probably because they continue getting marginalized by the people like the VP-elect.  Are they chopped liver?  And how about Latinos and Muslims? I guess on the topic of being overly-emotional, that Mike is supremely overly-emotional about people not liking him. Everyone is just a big crybaby.
I never said they weren't people you are putting words in my mouth, of course they are people and I am not marginalizing them ,  just stated a fact that people ON ALL SIDES (I did state ALL SIDES)  are being over-emotional about this election (yes both republican and democrat) and if the Beach Boys want to play for Trump who are they to tell them not too...and when I mean "They" I mean ANYONE who may have a problem with them performing for him...if they want to perform for trump that's their choice and if they don't like it they can change the channel... like I said before it's not like they would be performing at Castro's funeral or performing for the  leader of North Korea or Iran, they would be performing for the president of the united states...if you read my first post I never said ANYTHING about gay people...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:40:45 AM by joshferrell » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »

No one can make a person emotional that's their choice.

That's completely false. We are biologically emotional beings - we don't get to choose whether or not we are emotional.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »

That's completely false. We are biologically emotional beings - we don't get to choose whether or not we are emotional.
yes we are emotional beings  but we can control how we react to people places and things,,,,, we don't have to project our emotions we can just keep them to ourselves if we choose,,,,no one can hurt you unless you let them (unless you are a child or someone else who is helpless).. no one can offend you unless you choose to be offended because of a world view,these are just concepts we create as a society ...but that's a whole other thing that will have us go back to thousands of years of teachings of various spiritually enlightened teachers and psychologist....
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »

yes we are emotional beings  but we can control how we react to people places and things,,,,, we don't have to project our emotions we can just keep them to ourselves if we choose,,,,

That's different from saying that "No one can make a person emotional." Here you are saying that "No one can make a person express their emotions." Completely different.

no one can hurt you unless you let them (unless you are a child or someone else who is helpless).. no one can offend you unless you choose to be offended because of a world view,these are just concepts we create as a society ...but that's a whole other thing that will have us go back to thousands of years of teachings of various spiritually enlightened teachers and psychologist....

To be honest, I think this is mostly a fashionable point of view that is circulating on the internet right now. People who like railing against the so-called PC culture bring this up a lot. But like most things that circulate on the internet, there is absolutely no evidence to support it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:00:01 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »

double post
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:00:16 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx