gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:12:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?
Yes - 25 (24%)
No - 79 (76%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?  (Read 33018 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

the whole reaction to him getting elected is blown WAY out of proportion.. people are just being way TOO overemotional over it

LGBT, Muslim, and other minority folks might understandably not share that same opinion (nor the opinion of being anything but outraged with any artist playing the inauguration).

Basically, I think people have to turn off the empathy part of their brain to not fully understand that, or to claim those folks are being overly-emotional about it.  Would love to know what your thoughts might be on that?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:44:56 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2016, 08:48:10 PM »

i voted 'no'

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:32 AM »

Karma would be if Mike said 'No...Call Wayne Newton!'.  Grin
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2016, 06:03:15 AM »

the whole reaction to him getting elected is blown WAY out of proportion.. people are just being way TOO overemotional over it

LGBT, Muslim, and other minority folks might understandably not share that same opinion (nor the opinion of being anything but outraged with any artist playing the inauguration).

Basically, I think people have to turn off the empathy part of their brain to not fully understand that, or to claim those folks are being overly-emotional about it.  Would love to know what your thoughts might be on that?

There are too many losers to be left strewn along the path Trump claims will make America "great" again.   Damaging links in the chain will only make America [and the 'west'] weak again.  History.  We've been there/done that.  We're only one goose step short of the most ardent Trump supporters wearing brown friggin' shirts.

Economic realities are the result of the last go-round for the republicans...and the subsequent spill-over.  To recover completely from Bush's virtual depression in 6 1/2 years is asking WAY too much.  And to expect it to be instantly fixable was pure folly.  The hole dug now to accommodate this blustering buffoon will be hard to fill-in.  It would be just like Mike to get more 'revenge' by performing at an official event for the rotting tangerine from Hades.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »

This would be such a disaster for the BB brand, I somehow feel certain it will happen.   Sad

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »

The vast majority of people consider The Beach Boys as white bread, conservative,  and out-of-touch with modern-day standards of political correctness as any band can be. As much as I loathe the idea of a President Tic-Tac administration, I believe the Beach Boys participation in a dance held in his honor would mean nothing and change nothing. I would even daresay that the large majority of people in a typical Beach Boys audience nowadays are Trump supporters.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:46:46 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2016, 12:55:58 AM »

I seriously doubt that playing Trumps inauguration would have much effect on the band. I mean, I  doubt it would stop them from selling out 1500 seat performing arts centers like they have been for the last 20 years. Its not like they are super hip these days and could be ruined by something like this anymore...Maybe if it were 1964. They're not Taylor Swift/Katy Perry. Brian still has somewhat of a "cool" factor that i could see being effected by playing for Trump, but cant see him playing...It's not like he's going to get back together with Mike for Trump  like Fleetwood Mac did for Clinton.

Btw, Everyone says Mike is a Republican, but did anyone read in his book how he mentions that people think he's a Republican but he's into environmental causes and he's anti-war and some other stuff which is the opposite of Republican views and he says something like "no one really knows where I'm at politically"? Does anyone think he actually might be a liberal/centrist? Or just saying that to not alienate people on the left?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:57:40 AM by Needleinthhay » Logged
KDS
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2016, 05:09:08 AM »

I seriously doubt that playing Trumps inauguration would have much effect on the band. I mean, I  doubt it would stop them from selling out 1500 seat performing arts centers like they have been for the last 20 years. Its not like they are super hip these days and could be ruined by something like this anymore...Maybe if it were 1964. They're not Taylor Swift/Katy Perry. Brian still has somewhat of a "cool" factor that i could see being effected by playing for Trump, but cant see him playing...It's not like he's going to get back together with Mike for Trump  like Fleetwood Mac did for Clinton.

Btw, Everyone says Mike is a Republican, but did anyone read in his book how he mentions that people think he's a Republican but he's into environmental causes and he's anti-war and some other stuff which is the opposite of Republican views and he says something like "no one really knows where I'm at politically"? Does anyone think he actually might be a liberal/centrist? Or just saying that to not alienate people on the left?

I don't think Mike is a liberal, but from reading his book, and listening to some of the songs he wrote about the environment, I'd say he's more of a moderate conservative. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2016, 05:36:07 AM »

The fact is that there is plenty of room to take what are considered liberal or conservative positions on a host of issues because they are far more partisan than ideological. To consolidate them and assume you're on one side or the other up and down the platform isn't real life unless you're too easily swayed by the parties and their media.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2016, 05:40:23 AM »

The fact is that there is plenty of room to take what are considered liberal or conservative positions on a host of issues because they are far more partisan than ideological. To consolidate them and assume you're on one side or the other up and down the platform isn't real life unless you're too easily swayed by the parties and their media.

This is true.  I tend to vote Republican more times than not, but quite a few of my beliefs (wait for the big surprise) tend to be a lean a little more to the liberal side. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2016, 05:43:51 AM »

Last relevant comment so we don't get Sandboxed, but it's also key to note that beliefs or positions themselves often aren't the politically ideology part, but rather whether, how, or how much government should be involved.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:48 AM »

Getting us back on topic.  I do have a question. 

This is for anybody on here who supports and buys tickets for the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys. 

If they do decide to play Donald Trump's inauguration next month, would that affect whether or not you buy tickets for one of their shows in 2017?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:51 AM »

No.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »

Have the BB been asked to perform? Or is this yet another contrived and idiotic thread designed to smear either ML or the American President elect?

Sandbox please.
KDS
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

Have the BB been asked to perform? Or is this yet another contrived and idiotic thread designed to smear either ML or the American President elect?

Sandbox please.

Probably both. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2016, 08:59:53 AM »

Sandbox please.
Seriously?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »

It has been generally on topic and the topic, even if hypothetical (which I believe it is), is legitimate. From what I've noticed it's mostly polite (excluding some of mine), despite a currently hot, divisive topic. I say leave it alone and those not interested can quite easily skip the thread.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2016, 09:51:41 AM »

Sandbox please.

I actually had a similar thought this morning and wondered if they would even be available around January 20 (and the days leading up to the inauguration). I checked the tour page and it appears they don't have any January dates until January 21, when they will be a mere 3 hours away in Emporia, VA. I remember they were similarly close to Cleveland around the time of the RNC convention, but didn't play at the convention despite some media reports.

So, let the speculation continue.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »

Sandbox please.

I actually had a similar thought this morning and wondered if they would even be available around January 20 (and the days leading up to the inauguration). I checked the tour page and it appears they don't have any January dates until January 21, when they will be a mere 3 hours away in Emporia, VA. I remember they were similarly close to Cleveland around the time of the RNC convention, but didn't play at the convention despite some media reports.

So, let the speculation continue.

Ugh. That might mean at the very least, they'll be playing some sort of "celebration" gig in the vicinity, even if not under an official Trump-sponsored capacity. Barf barf barf.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »

There shouldn't even be an inauguration. More of a public mourning.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »

It has been generally on topic and the topic, even if hypothetical (which I believe it is), is legitimate. From what I've noticed it's mostly polite (excluding some of mine), despite a currently hot, divisive topic. I say leave it alone and those not interested can quite easily skip the thread.

^ Agreed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »

Does Mike really want to get asked what he thinks of LGBT and other minority folks who are going to get their rights stripped away? Like if he gives two sh*ts about it?

Seriously, Mike would in all likelihood - at some point - rightfully get asked that by an interviewer, or by a fan with a recording device, at some point, if he performs for Trump. That performance will not go unnoticed. It will stick with him. And he will either duck the question (much like Trump supporters in this thread do), or give an excruciatingly ridiculous response that might just go viral, because there's no way to answer that question without saying that those rights don't matter to him. Do we want The BBs to be associated with friggin' Pence?? It's a bad, bad idea for Mike to even consider.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:32:39 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »

Does Mike really want to get asked what he thinks of LGBT and other minority folks who are going to get their rights stripped away? Like if he gives two sh*ts about it?

Please give some evidence to support your assertions of stripping away of rights.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »

Please give some evidence to support your assertions of stripping away of rights.

Just for starters... Pence's record of opposition to gay rights as a member of Congress, is sure to be a threat to any member of the LGBT community. That should outrage anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Trump appointing Bannon, who freely publicly refers to lesbians as "dykes"? I could give many, many more examples...

Care to defend those I just mentioned?

Mike Love should not rope the brand name in to be associated with that garbage.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:43:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

Just for starters... Pence's record of opposition to gay rights as a member of Congress, is sure to be a threat to any member of the LGBT community. That should outrage anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Trump appointing Bannon, who freely publicly refers to lesbians as "dykes"? I could give many, many more examples...

Care to defend those I just mentioned?

Mike Love should not rope the brand name in to be associated with that garbage.

Don't forget the hideous creature Sessions's own comments, either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx