gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:33:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?
Yes - 25 (24%)
No - 79 (76%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?  (Read 33069 times)
surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 04:36:13 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj1uCVrMTMs

Obama Worst President of All Time
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2016, 05:09:59 AM »

Don't feed the troll. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2016, 05:59:19 AM »

Yesterday you said Carter was the worst president of all time (with a special nod to Clinton). Also, I thought you were leaving--remember bye bye?--but it's lovely to see you again. Perhaps you've been binging on presidential history in your absence? Fun! Let's talk Franklin Pierce. Or maybe Chester Arthur. I liked his facial hair. Did you?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »

They should if they're asked (no reason to think they will be though) and want to. The true rock n' roll spirit is doing what you want even when all the pearl-clutchers tell you it would be very naughty to do so. Nothing lamer than supposed rockers like Springsteen who shill for establishment candidates.

So it's lame when Springsteen does it but the Beach Boys should do it???

Trump may be a lot of things, but he's not the establishment candidate. He's the punk rock candidate. If rock is supposed to be about walking on the wild side, then the Trump inauguration is the place to be for real rockers!
lol. yeah. The billionaire staffing his cabinet and the White House with billionaires, retired generals and the chair of the RNC while planning to cut taxes on the wealthy and corporations is so punk rock.

You don't remember Sid Vicious advocating for lowering the top tier tax rate to 20%?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 06:16:02 AM »

I don't think you realize though that you are talking with people who mostly don't consider Obama to be a great president or even a good one. Just because we haven't been swindled by a professional con man doesn't mean that we are going to get bothered by a video designed to irritate Democrats.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 06:25:14 AM »

You've just set yourself up for one of those classic surf patrol comebacks. "Shut Up," maybe? Or maybe even "Your Probaly Like Crooked Hillary LOL!" With his extensive repertoire and razor-sharp wit, who knows what it will be? I'm just going to make some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 06:45:12 AM »

It's either that or "logic" from Filleplage in a thousand word essay about god knows what.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MonsterMash
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »

After reading the above two pages of posts... a general thought for the masses.....with Mike having the license to tour, can BRI actually step in and  STOP a tour stop (whether it be in Las Cruces, New Mexico or a Trump inauguration stop).  I truly don't think any of us know if BRI can stop a show.  Whether it be a New Mexico promoter for a New Mexico show, or the Trump inauguration show in DC.  

So, for me, no I'm not a Trump fan.  In fact the thought galls me.  However, I'm not sure with the Beach Boys current structural apparatus, meaning BRI, can stop a DC show in January....  Unless there's fine print that none of us are aware of.   Just my thoughts

I believe if the other members felt so strongly about stopping Mike and Bruce playing they could take the nuclear option and threaten to remove Mike and Bruce's licence to tour. Without knowing what exactly is in the contract which gives Mike and Bruce the right to tour under the Beach Boys this is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause which forbids Mike and Bruce from playing a concert which could bring the Beach Boys name into disrepute for example if they were to play a gig for the KKK. There's probably a further clause which would render the contact null and void if they were to do so. Obviously playing for Trump is not the same as playing for KKK but it is something that could bring the Beach Boys brand into disrepute. It could ultimately be a battle for the lawyers if the other members felt strongly against it and Mike and Bruce were for it. Would they risk a lawsuit and potential loss of the touring name just to play one gig no matter how prestigious from their point of view?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:05:00 AM by MonsterMash » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »

Yes they should. it will be highly watched and by far more watched then any other the other inaugurations given all of the circumstances! Any why to get there name out is good!

Why? Trump has to have had the least amount of votes of any president elect in recent history. Not sure why his inauguration would be highly watched.

I sure as hell won't be watching.  It will be a shameful day for this country.

Great day for america I will be watching. It has not hurt Ted Nugent with his support for Trump.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »

I just remembered that the beach boys played for trump at a private birthday party back in the 90's, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if they were asked to do his inauguration.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »

Lol Ted Nugent.  Great argument, awesome train of thought. 
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »

I must say that I'm much more interested in the financial details of M&B's private gig. Anyone know what the price tag was? And do we know if they actually got paid (given the well-earned rep that DT--hey, America has the DT's!!!---has as a "stiffmeister")...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »

I just remembered that the beach boys played for trump at a private birthday party back in the 90's, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if they were asked to do his inauguration.

Apples and oranges, that was a lifetime ago, and he was not a politician, nor was he a massively polarizing figure like today.  Like literally the single most divisive politician in the modern history of the United States, endorsed by the KKK. It has zero to do with the current situation.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:29:40 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »

Great day for america I will be watching. It has not hurt Ted Nugent with his support for Trump.

Can you explain why a man without a coherent platform and a distorted understanding of reality being president is a "great day for America"?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2016, 09:31:16 AM »

Yes they should. it will be highly watched and by far more watched then any other the other inaugurations given all of the circumstances! Any why to get there name out is good!

Why? Trump has to have had the least amount of votes of any president elect in recent history. Not sure why his inauguration would be highly watched.

I sure as hell won't be watching.  It will be a shameful day for this country.

If Nugent had hordes of young, liberal-minded fans of his studio work, you can be sure they would have largely (maybe not entirely, but largely) evaporated as a result of his extremist views.  So you are completely incorrect.   He is literally considered a deeply toxic poison to a significant amount of the population... who will now literally, never in a million years, come near his music.  

And yeah, it will be a "great" day for lowercase, punctuation–free america.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:35:23 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »

Further, there has been controversy following Ted Nugent because of his rhetoric and support for Trump. In my home state, there was quite a stir when a small, rural county engaged him to play its county fair.

But it's also not a great analogy because Nugent has for years been an outspoken, controversial/extreme conservative speaker, meaning the fallout has already settled over him. His fans are already long-since used to the idea of him being who he is and saying what he says. It would be akin to Tom Morello supporting some far-left candidate.

The Beach Boys haven't made a career of getting especially involved in politics, Bruce's occasional asshole-ish remark notwithstanding, so it could affect them more.

surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkMA6JPOHU

Thanks for the "kind words"  Captain -  America First !   Grin
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »

You're welcome. You'll forgive me for not watching your video link: see, I've got a streak going of not watching any of them, and I'd hate to break it now. Besides, most political videos of all stripe meant to mock this or that candidate, party, etc., are made to rile up morons, so it's not really my thing. But I'm sure it's quite clever, having obviously lived up to your own high standards.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkMA6JPOHU

Thanks for the "kind words"  Captain -  America First !   Grin

I thought you were a Trump fan! In which case, what you really mean is the small minority of extremely wealthy elites at the expense of the vast majority of the population First!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2016, 07:00:25 AM »

I forsee this thread devolving into arguments over opposing political points of view. Trying hard not to dive in !
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2016, 07:34:15 AM »

Is that foresight coming to you from the rear-view mirror?  Grin

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2016, 01:29:21 PM »

Is that foresight coming to you from the rear-view mirror?  Grin
THIS
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2016, 03:37:56 PM »

This is starting to turn into a sandbox conversation! Lets keep on pace that this is about the beach boys preforming at Donald Trumps inaugurations. Lets not cry if your person lost. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »

With very few detours, I don't think people are crying that their respective people lost. They're discussing their opinions as to what would be the effect on the Beach Boys' popularity in the hypothetical event that the band performed at a Trump inauguration. That about half of the responders would think it's a bad idea shouldn't be too surprising, considering the closeness of the election results and the divisiveness of the president-elect.

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »

I don't think they are popular enough to perform at the inauguration.  How about the Stones?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx